The GTA "feel"

-Aivaras-

You know why GTA 5 will be better than Sleeping Dogs, Watch dogs, Saints Row or any other competitive game ? Because of the atmosphere it has. All of the GTA's have atmospheres that just make you happy. I Played Saints Row 3, but it just didn't have that "Feel" or that "atmosphere", Just cause 2 had a similar thing to GTA, but it just wasn't GTA, i love going to the countyside in GTA SA and just drive around and you know it just has that "feel", when you think about it, it just makes you happy, you actually enjoy the game, i think GTA V will have the same "Feel" that GTA SA had.

Blackous666

i feel happy now and i havent even played it.. All i have to do is not to watch some leaked xbox 360 videos before release and i bet i will sh*t my pants ... I cant wait for some surprising sh*t.. Now seriously..this topic is useless

You know why GTA 5 will be better than Sleeping Dogs, Watch dogs, Saints Row or any other competitive game ? Because of the atmosphere it has. All of the GTA's have atmospheres that just make you happy. I Played Saints Row 3, but it just didn't have that "Feel" or that "atmosphere", Just cause 2 had a similar thing to GTA, but it just wasn't GTA, i love going to the countyside in GTA SA and just drive around and you know it just has that "feel", when you think about it, it just makes you happy, you actually enjoy the game, i think GTA V will have the same "Feel" that GTA SA had.

The good weather and the music play a big part in that!

GTA IV had bad music and the weather was almost always sh*t..

GTA V has great weather! The best since Vice City, maybe even better but don't know that yet...

And the music I hope is great...

yeah your right it has a certain uniqueness to it that makes it spectacular, by the way hav you seen the 2new screenshots of GTA V? there on the IGN website smile.gif

Paper Mario

And you had to make a topic to express your feelings about GTA?

Yeah! Nobody is allowed to speak about what they love most about a GTA game!

sarcasm.gif

Edited by III H1TMaN III

yeah your right it has a certain uniqueness to it that makes it spectacular, by the way hav you seen the 2new screenshots of GTA V? there on the IGN website smile.gif

Yep, i've seen them, i was so happy when i saw them on the newswire.

I agree on the whole GTA Feel thing.

I havnt played many other sandbox games, but from gameplay clips on youtube i can already say that GTA has a feel other games dont.

Cool story bro but we dont wanna know what you think about while busting one..................

Harwood Butch3r

I'd call it the "R* feel". RDR especially gives me that good feeling the GTA series does. smile.gif

Cool story bro but we dont wanna know what you think about while busting one..................

You say one thing.. and then the complete opposite... you're an alien?

The "GTA Clones" will never come close to the real thing. Sure watch dogs was nice.. but ive forgotten about it. Saints Row i do not like at all, as for Sleeping Dogs... its basically True Crime. (Dont get me wrong, these games in their own right look great! but if you compare them to GTA? It's a joke.

GTA is the first, last and only in my book.

Yeah, that special feel. Sometimes in the cutscenes, sometimes in the missions but more when driving. Especially in VC when driving on the ocean drive and IV when i'm at the Plumbers Skyway, just great. I didn't think I could enjoy LC so much. The feeling was just great and the soundtrack did it's job. Sometimes I take a heli and fly around the city. Just wounderful. I hope I will get this same feeling with GTA V, maybe even better. And it looks like it will.

Sunrise Driver

Yeah, I think I won't enjoy futuristic atmosphere of Watch Dogs. sad.gif

Blazevski12

So San Andreas had the GTA feel, but IV and Vice City don't?.

Blackous666

hmm... R* said that the trailer wasnt prerendered that it was from gameplay.... first scene was with dog.. it means... at least DOGs confirmed?!

theworldfamous

amen to that brother.. I replayed the original SA just to get back in that feel. Just imagine that game with just the graphics and basic gameplay of IV. And to get a feel for the amount of improvements possible, just consider the difference between Vice City and San Andreas, how much better the controls, general gameplay, missions etc.. (VC is still my favorite though) and consider that San Andreas runs on the same console where even GTA III was consider a technical marvel in it's day.

too bad this forum isn't half as cool as it used to be around that time, with the mods closing topics and squashing leaks... wasn't that the idea behind this thing?

That "feel" is called "style" and is a conglomeration of all the elements of a game coming together as a whole. Visual, audio, story, and gameplay all sharing the same thing in common. Dan Houser has stated many times that they strive to make a game feel like one cohesive experience. Just like a great song or movie. That's why many people now are starting to question if games are turning into art, rather than just mindless entertainment.

theworldfamous

and that conglomeration is also commonly known as "soul"

That "feel" is called "style" and is a conglomeration of all the elements of a game coming together as a whole. Visual, audio, story, and gameplay all sharing the same thing in common. Dan Houser has stated many times that they strive to make a game feel like one cohesive experience. Just like a great song or movie. That's why many people now are starting to question if games are turning into art, rather than just mindless entertainment.

meh. "Art" has always been mindless entertainment.

Something people like to look at and take pleasure in examining.

Its exactly what we do with GTA.

However, some people correlate "ART" with some type of intellectual superiority, which can denote a negative connotation for some people.

Personally, I consider my shoes a piece of Art.

On Topic.

I know what you mean OP, no other game can replace that "feel", I did not enjoy the driving elements in Saints Row, Just Cause 2 etc.

Sleeping Dogs driving looks arcady to me, so It might be OK but it'll never have the GTA IV feel. Which is sad, but hopefully the combat and other mechanics make up for it.

ThisIsHorosho

so far i can tell i'm not digging Sleeping dog's Tokyo feel at all...city looks too gritty and rubbish for my taste, kind of reminds me of NYC but even more dirty...as for Watch Dogs it looks much better, but still didn't give me that feel you're talking about, played SRTT disliked the hell of it, but not because its unrealistic and whacky, but because so many features and activities were cut from it from previous Saints Row game, which were my favorites...out of everything i've seen announced and recently released GTAV looks and "feels" the best so far...we'll see though only time will tell...and this is coming from someone who hates GTAIV!...

Live is Life nana nana na...

No i didn't say that, for me the GTA SA is the best, so that's why i mentioned it, Vice city had the same "feel" as GTA SA, but to me, it was bigger in SA.

ThisIsHorosho

No i didn't say that, for me the GTA SA is the best, so that's why i mentioned it, Vice city had the same "feel" as GTA SA, but to me, it was bigger in SA.

so it was for me...in fact out of all GTA games so far GTA Vice Cityi s my least favorite, however main character is the best in Vice City...

Live is Life nana nana na...

Allow me to be the heretic on the board.

I have to say that I pretty much agree with the TC. There is something that sets GTA apart from other open world games. It's always been a very funny yet harsh satire on society and pop culture. Personally, I found GTA IV to be a game that took itself far too seriously to be a good satire, and that was part of why I was disappointed in it. But I'd be lying if I said I didn't play through it a couple of times. It is my least favourite GTA game, though.

I am certainly hoping for GTA V to have more interesting characters, better music, and better driving. I really found that all cars in GTA IV handled like bags of wet cement. I hated the constant phone calls from friends, and then the plot that wouldn't progress if you shut the phone off. This may be heresy as well, but I really hated the map. It was, for me, too dense and labyrinth-like. Like most others, I didn't explore the map, choosing to take cabs instead. I also hope that GTA V gives us a better reward and reward system for finding hidden packages. I also would like to see a triumphant ending return to GTA. It may be a flaw on my part, but after sinking 40-80 hours into a game like GTA or RDR, I want a triumphant ending. I found the endings to both of those games aggravating. I can find sad endings meaningful and moving in a 2 hour movie, but when I'm the participant in a 40 hour epic, it makes me feel like I've just been ripped off.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I also believe that GTA is the gold standard, I also feel that some other games are providing experiences that are closing that gap in terms of enjoyment and fun. Saints Row 2 and 3 may be juvenile and hokey, but I have to admit that I found them incredibly fun and satisfying games. I also enjoyed Just Cause 2, although it is extremely repetitive and I never finished it for that reason. These were fun games. Not in the same ballpark as San Andreas, but I actually had more fun with those games than I did with GTA IV.

Anyway, just my view. I am very confident that GTA V is going to be the best GTA game yet. I think that Rockstar are going to surprise us with some dynamic that will make the game a truly memorable classic, to be talked about for 20 years. I just feel that for some reason. I am sad that the development is taking so long. Clearly there have been problems. Let's hope they get it straightened out and released before the next-gen overshadows it.

I looked at the trailer of Sleeping Dogs, Watchdogs and many other open-world games but Rockstar is the number one. Red Dead Redemption and all GTAs are the best games that I've ever played. It's Rockstar, man! rahkstar2.gif

I totally agree with Aivaras, the atmosphere in old gta games like Vice City, San Andreas is just awesome. smile.gif

I totally agree with Aivaras, the atmosphere in old gta games like Vice City, San Andreas is just awesome. smile.gif

Agreed,

I just hope they bring a little more humor into the game like in vice city.

I looked at the trailer of Sleeping Dogs, Watchdogs and many other open-world games but Rockstar is the number one. Red Dead Redemption and all GTAs are the best games that I've ever played. It's Rockstar, man! rahkstar2.gif

you based the game off a trailer?

I get a Vice City/San Andreas vibe from the very little screens/trailer we have on the game. I do agree with you though TC GTA has always had it's own feel to it.