Ultimate cruising machine?

Pat

As most of you know, I used to own a piece of sh*t '93 Volvo 240. I sold that yesterday and today I bought a 1986 BMW E23 L7 - basically, the more luxurious equivalent of Lurch's E28. Same engine as his (M30), 4-speed automatic transmission, bunch of extra goodies, and also a bunch of issues. Right now the speedometer isn't working, the tach and temp gauge work 75% of the time, the computer on the center console isn't working at all (might be a fuse?), the A/C isn't working (probably blower motor, cheap to rebuild if so), and I want to replace the radio. Aside from that, it's great and will hopefully last me for at least a few years.

As for how much I paid? $800 cash. And after driving it for four hours straight I can safely say it was worth every damned penny.

I'll have much better pictures tomorrow, but Lurch was jonesing hard to see it, so you'll have to deal with these. You'll have to excuse how foggy some of them are, it was really humid and I had to wipe off the camera lense after every shot.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Slosten.gif

Well you know how much I love these cars. For $800, it's definitely not a bad score.

And for those wondering "WTF is an L7?" It's basically the luxo version of a 735i, hence the "L". The highest trim level the US had to offer (since we technically didn't have 745i's). Leather everything, bigger tires, all the things the 735i had as options were standard. The main downside is there was no 5 speed version like there was with a 733i and 735i. Oh, and the hideous air bag steering wheel.

Edited by Lurch

uYW1Olw.png

Some new pictures, taken just to show how much better it looks in the daylight. I also took a picture of the tear on the driver's seat, which is the only real issue with the interior. I'm pretty certain I can scrub away the spot on the door handle.

And before anyone asks, I did not intentionally remove the L7 badge. It popped off while I was taking off the ///M badge (the adhesive must have just rotted away completely). I'll be gluing it back on once I find out what kind of adhesive I need.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Slosten.gif

Missing rondel stickers on your centercaps. Happens way too often.

uYW1Olw.png

That's a snag for $800. Also been a fan of the older BMWs. New ones are fine too, but love the old boxy ones like E23 and E28 and such.

Enjoy that thing man.

Great choice of car man. Looks great! icon14.gif

o6ifrl.png
Dreaming of California, where the sun never sets.

such an awesome car for 800.. i'd get one in a heartbeat if i could get it this cheap

Car and wheels need a good bath.

Get used to that. Black car and weaves are impossible to keep clean very long.

uYW1Olw.png

Damn, I'm impressed! The best I can do around here is a sh*tty 3 series missing wheels and spewing oil, and that's for $1200. That's a hell of a car for $800, if it were torn and beaten to sh*t it'd be the ultimate demolition derby machine.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image*

user posted image

user posted image

*the L7 badge will be put back on after I buy whatever type of adhesive vehicle badges use.

Edited by Pat

Slosten.gif

swolo yaggins

Apparently Tennessee is the place to buy a car.

5192:12.3.02
LM/SSH

mkl

• 2 weeks later...

I actually haven't noticed how big the US bumpers were until I saw it wow.gif

Still, looks fab.

Triple Penetration

Any chance for you and Lurchie to meet up and take pictures together?

I absolutely love this car, but never have seen one in my whole life. They seem to be more popular in U.S. for some reason.

user posted image

Doesn't look very well maintained IMO...

You should get that f*cked up interior fixed (on one of the pics there was a huge rip)

Slightly resembles Roman's Taxi, hehe.

For 800 dollars though that's a good deal.

A while ago (when our family was a bit 'poorer' my mum got a Triumph Acclaim for £600, didn't last very long though tounge.gif

(if you're wondering what we have now we have a 2012 Toyota Avensis Estate and a 2005 Suzuki Swift)

You should get that f*cked up interior fixed (on one of the pics there was a huge rip)

A while ago (when our family was a bit 'poorer' my mum got a Triumph Acclaim for £600, didn't last very long though tounge.gif

(if you're wondering what we have now we have a 2012 Toyota Avensis Estate and a 2005 Suzuki Swift)

Aren't you, like, 12?

uYW1Olw.png

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't you, like, 12?

I believe he is. And he's an obnoxious little c*nt to boot.

eLqskO3.png

I agree that it looks a bit like Roman's Taxi, i actually thought that myself and then read his post which was weird.

user posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

Maybe the way the trunk slopes but beyond that, nothing. That taxi much more resembles a fox body continental with bits of 2nd gen Seville.

The e23 will look great with the bumpers tucked next month.

uYW1Olw.png

• 1 month later...

user posted image

user posted image

Bumper tucking postponed. Was a lot more to it than with the e28. Car drives great though. The automatic and extra 600 lbs. (probably close to 900 with all of us and everything in it) really do slow it down quite a bit though. E28 felt like a speed demon after driving it.

uYW1Olw.png

So an update: I don't know if I mentioned it previously in this thread and I'm too lazy to check, but the driver's exterior door handle has not functioned since before I bought the car. I've always had to reach in and open it from the inside. A few days before the Rod Run, we attempted to fix it, and mostly succeeded - but in the process, we f*cked up the lock cylinder and the only doors that weren't hardlocked (ie cannot be opened with a key or manually) were the driver's door, trunk and the door for the gas tank. So for the duration of the Rod Run, the two that weren't driving had to climb in through the windows. Here's a flattering example of my father doing so:

user posted image

user posted image

Anyway, we've already got another lock cylinder from Pull-a-Part (as well as a replacement steering wheel, I'll post before & after pics when we get to that swap), we know what we did wrong, and we just have to take the door apart one more time to fix it. Meanwhile, here's a picture of Lurch driving my car:

user posted image

Slosten.gif

user posted image

Picked up a set of style 4's today for this thing. Aside from the sh*tty black paint (flaked off of that centercap pretty bad as well), they're mint. No rash whatsoever. How should I go about spraying these things? Just a quick sand, whipe them down and throw a few coats on?

Pat, these are in such great shape, the price I'm selling them to you is an absolute steal. With the deal you gave me on the PS3 last year, I think this deal will make it even.

uYW1Olw.png

he could probably have it done cheaper than me. Want me to just give them to your black? I know a guy that had some DS2's on his M3 that he just had media blasted and it actually looked pretty good without paint.

uYW1Olw.png

I'll ask him about it, I know he has media blasters at work but I don't know how hard it would be for him to get something as big as these wheels into the plant.

Slosten.gif