Biggest map yet

initium

Rockstar Games confirmed that GTA V will have the biggest map they've ever created...

Discuss the size of other Rockstar Games' maps and the new map here

Death2Drugs

Rockstar's biggest map is Red Dead, which is of debatable size. It's bigger than SA, but how much bigger, I don't know.

Does anyone know how big MC: LA is?

runkkari203

dont know but i hope they include mexico would love to go and walk on the beautiful beaches down there

Edited by runkkari203
You're incorrigible. Spamming, sh*tty attitude around the forums and your posts are of extremely poor quality.

Yeah, pretty much.

BANHAMMER

Shreddy Krueger

Judging by that new helicopter screen, which doesn't even show the entire city, let alone the 'surrounding area', GTAV is going to be f*cking massive, and that's all that matters. RDR was almost too big, IMO, just because 90% of it was barren desert, and the towns were small. Traveling from one end of the map to the other was sometimes pretty tedious.

would it not be la noire been the biggest map

The cars were really slow.. so I don't know, Red Dead Redemption as well... slow cars.. eh.. dogs.. eh horses..

I still think San Andreas is the biggest game to date

"Fear not, they[planes] are returning in what is our biggest open world game to date."

They said it was going to be the biggest open world game. That doesn't necessarily mean the biggest map. It could be bigger in details, story, etc... Or maybe thhe biggest game in terms of sales and hype.

Judging by that new helicopter screen, which doesn't even show the entire city, let alone the 'surrounding area', GTAV is going to be f*cking massive, and that's all that matters. RDR was almost too big, IMO, just because 90% of it was barren desert, and the towns were small. Traveling from one end of the map to the other was sometimes pretty tedious.

It's not bigger than one island of GTA IV.. I think based on what we've seen so far, Los Santos (city only) is as big as Dukes + Broker + Bohan...

The countryside should be big

"Fear not, they[planes] are returning in what is our biggest open world game to date."

They said it was going to be the biggest open world game. That doesn't necessarily mean the biggest map. It could be bigger in details, story, etc... Or maybe thhe biggest game in terms of sales and hype.

That would be misleading and a hugh dissapointment to all fans, and that's why they would never say it like that if it is not the biggest map to date...

Rockstar's biggest map is Red Dead, which is of debatable size. It's bigger than SA, but how much bigger, I don't know.

Does anyone know how big MC: LA is?

I think If RDR had a planes.You could get across the map pretty fast.On the scale of how big GTA IV is.

Triple Vacuum Seal

It's not bigger than one island of GTA IV.. I think based on what we've seen so far, Los Santos (city only) is as big as Dukes + Broker + Bohan...

That would so unrealistic if we saw an LS the size at which we've been seeing and then a massive "countryside". The real SoCal near LA is nothing like that. I say multiple cities.

If not, then why is R* so hesitant to show any content south of LS? Even in the screens, they've done this.

That would so unrealistic if we saw an LS the size at which we've been seeing and then a massive "countryside". The real SoCal near LA is nothing like that. I say multiple cities.

If not, then why is R* so hesitant to show any content south of LS? Even in the screens, they've done this.

I agree that more cities is pretty likely and it might also explain why we get so little info, and no screenshots outside of Los Santos

Death2Drugs

I don't think they showed any part of Alderney in any of the IV trailers. Not sure about the screenshots.

Perhaps San Diego and Tijuana will come up as a surprise.

Common sense would tell you that they meant map. They said LC was too small, San Andreas isn't really humongous either.

Use common sense.

user posted image

SiR R.i.P.P.E.R.

From the heli screenshot, the immediately visible area from downtown to the sunrise buildings is as big as Algonquin. Now, considering the harbor view deep in the background and the Oil drill scene from the trailer, I'm guessing it's about twice the LANDMASS of LC. That would make the city as big as San Andreas, or LS~(LC map, water included).

IDK what the countryside would be like, the thing is it will definitely be a huge area, maybe RDR size.

I doubt RAGE can go further than that w/o performance issues, until the next generation comes around.

Triple Vacuum Seal

I agree that more cities is pretty likely and it might also explain why we get so little info, and no screenshots outside of Los Santos

Yeah; I think we will see a revealing of it down the road. Not setting myself up for disappointment, but I think that a GTA with a recreation of San Diego and Tijuana as side cities (because they are very close to LA) is too good of a recipe for financial success to ignore.

@Death2Drugs...even though Aldereny was based off of Jersey City, it was created as a part of LC so there was no intent to hide the area.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36

I always thought San Andreas was the biggest. Even bigger than LA Noire.

Red Dead Redemption is huuuge.

Rockstar said this was going to be -

'A very large map' and judging from the heli screenshot, Los Santos is going to be at least 85% that of San Andreas with around 50% of RDR as countryside, making it the largest ever.

Outside of Rockstar Games, SKYRIM has the hugest map ever. It's like a whole planet

These are the sizes I've gathered over the years:

GTA IV 6.00 square miles (3 square miles of water)

L.A. Noire 8 square miles (almost all land)

Red Dead Redemption 13.75 square miles (6 square miles of traversable land)

San Andreas 13.9 square miles (11 square miles of land)

Noire and San Andreas are official, coming from R* interviews. The GTA IV one I see popping up a lot and after my own research, this seems quite correct. Red Dead Redemption might surprise you being so small. Everyone always says it's enormous (20-30 miles large), but one of the members here did an accurate calculation using the in-game Distance counter. The 13.75 square miles includes the unreachable areas with only 6 square miles of terrain that you can traverse without glitching or hacking. You might think that this can't be true, because moving around San Andreas is faster than RDR. It must thus be bigger. That's an illusion, because the vehicle speeds in SA are not close to realistic. You can't for example compare a bicycle in SA to a horse in RDR (which in the real world would be more comparable than a car and a horse) because the top speeds of bicycles in SA is a whopping 120 kmh. That's the reason why you can keep up on the highway in SA on your bike. RDR isn't that big, it just seems that way due to varied terrain, small settlements and lower travel speeds.

I'd say GTA V would be in the 15-20 square miles range from what I've seen so far and what could be done.

Common sense would tell you that they meant map. They said LC was too small, San Andreas isn't really humongous either.

Use common sense.

I'm not saying that GTA V won't have the biggest map. I'm only pointing out that it cannot be confirmed, due to the ambiguous wording.

So unless they state "GTA V will have the biggest map" there is no confirmation.

I always thought San Andreas was the biggest. Even bigger than LA Noire.

Red Dead Redemption is huuuge.

Rockstar said this was going to be -

'A very large map' and judging from the heli screenshot, Los Santos is going to be at least 85% that of San Andreas with around 50% of RDR as countryside, making it the largest ever.

Outside of Rockstar Games, SKYRIM has the hugest map ever. It's like a whole planet

There are much bigger games out there than skyrim. It only feels big because you have to run everywhere.

Why does everyone thing Red Dead Redemption map is so big???

It's not that big... San Andreas is bigger

Because SA had sh*t draw distance.

GTA SA map is about 13.6 square miles big. I heard that RDR map is about 26-28 square miles big. moto_whistle.gif

GTA SA map is about 13.6 square miles big. I heard that RDR map is about 26-28 square miles big. moto_whistle.gif

This has never been confirmed...

Just look at this:

RDR:

And now this:

SA:

The cars are way faster than the horse in RDR

AuSsIeThUnDeR36

If you drove a car across RDR it wouldn't take very long at all. San Andreas was pretty huge driving across by car, even took awhile by Dodo, by Hydra you could fly over it in about 20 secs lol

The best way to make a large GTA map is by creating seperate islands... water is just the same thing all over again, and won't take to many space on a disc, and it would still be fun to fly to an other city and continue shooting police officers there

Triple Vacuum Seal
The best way to make a large GTA map is by creating seperate islands... water is just the same thing all over again, and won't take to many space on a disc, and it would still be fun to fly to an other city and continue shooting police officers there

R* should add Islands far off the west coast of the map as well ones in close proximity in order to add cross ocean destinations.

Maybe a small sand/dirt runway on an aircraft accessible island for private residences, drug deals, organized crime meetings, etc? It would be a nice touch.

Death2Drugs

This has never been confirmed...

Just look at this:

RDR:

And now this:

SA:

The cars are way faster than the horse in RDR

If I remember correctly, there was a topic concerning this, and someone e-mailed Rockstar concerning this.

Rockstar responded by saying it was around 30 sq miles.

No, I don't have the topic. It's lost now. It was months ago.