"Bold, new direction" theory

MuffinMcFluffin

MuffinMcFluffin

* * * THIS POST CONTAINS SLIGHT RDR SPOILERS IN TAGS * * *

Don't give me too much flack for this. It's just a theory, after all.

This idea really came to me when playing RDR.

I always wondered why the game flashes forward perhaps three or so years later, and the towns looked exactly the same. No changes whatsoever. No new buildings, still not driving cars... nothing changed when we advanced in the timeline with regard to the world around us. It's a small increase, but three years is still a change.

Anyway, somebody in the Mapping Los Santos thread pointed out that some buildings didn't seem to appear in the first new screenshot. Whether or not that's true, that got me thinking back to RDR, then thinking back to this game, and thinking about the downtown buildings under construction. And I always wonder: what's exciting about buildings that are under construction if they're never completed?

What if this game's story line experiences different time shifts forward? What if you start in some time, advance into another time, and into another time, etc.? Maybe we see buildings become completed, we get different cars, songs, clothes, etc. That would not only be a bold, new direction, but that would certainly be time-consuming. We would also see our main character age.

The only real downfall would be to not be able to go back in the past, if for any reason it's better/more fun to play in the "future." Either way, this is just a theory, and I don't know if this is considered to be bold and new, but Rockstar sure missed the chance with RDR.

Edited by MuffinMcFluffin

Well since there's cranes visible, it might be true.

I think it was only 3 years after John that we started playing as Jack.

MuffinMcFluffin

I think it was only 3 years after John that we started playing as Jack.

Gosh, was it really? I thought it was much larger. Who woulda thunk?

Edited my first post with that. I think it could still allude to changes.

Edited by MuffinMcFluffin

* * * THIS POST CONTAINS SLIGHT RDR SPOILERS IN TAGS * * *

Don't give me too much flack for this. It's just a theory, after all.

This idea really came to me when playing RDR.

I always wondered why the game flashes forward perhaps three or so years later, and the towns looked exactly the same. No changes whatsoever. No new buildings, still not driving cars... nothing changed when we advanced in the timeline with regard to the world around us. It's a small increase, but three years is still a change.

Anyway, somebody in the Mapping Los Santos thread pointed out that some buildings didn't seem to appear in the first new screenshot. Whether or not that's true, that got me thinking back to RDR, then thinking back to this game, and thinking about the downtown buildings under construction. And I always wonder: what's exciting about buildings that are under construction if they're never completed?

What if this game's story line experiences different time shifts forward? What if you start in some time, advance into another time, and into another time, etc.? Maybe we see buildings become completed, we get different cars, songs, clothes, etc. That would not only be a bold, new direction, but that would certainly be time-consuming. We would also see our main character age.

The only real downfall would be to not be able to go back in the past, if for any reason it's better/more fun to play in the "future." Either way, this is just a theory, and I don't know if this is considered to be bold and new, but Rockstar sure missed the chance with RDR.

Possible, who knows? Anyway, that ned luke guy look older on the balcony then in the heist scene.....he looks much younger there............. sarcasm.gif

Rockstar20124

Driver : Parallel Lines starts out in 1978 and at some point you flash forward to 2006 with the same character in the same city. I think it would be great is GTA V would have multiple time periods too. Perhaps you can choose your timeline from the menu just as with the cases in LA Noire which gave you different police partners.

Also buildings on construction offer opportunities to perform stunts and to throw criminals down to the ground cool.gif Nobody is around because people don't live there yet.

Yeah, RDR would have been much better if you could have driven some of those old automobiles. Just to do some stunts. If RDR is lacking something it's definitely the fun factor of doing flips, turns, driving on two wheels sideways and such. I still hope the next Red Dead will have horses and cars like those old slapstick movies in which they did amazing big scale stunts and huge crashes biggrin.gif

theworldfamous

interesting theory. I do hope the storyline includes some of that. But I don't think it's what the bold new direction is about. The first mafia game did something like it. You're just swapping out models.

I WAS WRONG

How come no one attributes the progressive timeline to Bully?

Give Bully some love, y'all.

MuffinMcFluffin

Sorry, I haven't played that game before. I think I got my PS3 by that time it came out.

Either way, I think with the amount of stuff that is involved with this game (especially the map), a progressive timeline would be much more drastic, especially if it covered multiple decades.

1whitebuddah

maybe the building is not there because of an early build or something?

we don't care about theories, WE WANT FACTS!

Storyline of GTA V:

Imagine you work for someone who wants to build a new building in the city, but he's not allowed to do that (some political issues..)

Now you have to go and kill a guy who's standing in the way of your boss' plans..

This whole game will be an economic war between you (or your boss) and some other guy/company...

Imagine if empire building goes to the next level, and your real estate/ construction company opens up gameplay that allows you to modify and customise the city, rebuilding it the way you want through decisions.

This would be the ultimate upgrade for GTA--a game where you have creative control over Rockstar's greatest asset . . .

I think it would be quite nice to see this sort of thing in the game. Even if we don't jump forward at all at any point, it would still be interesting to see gradual changes occuring throughout. For example, in GTA 4 you could find a lot of different areas that were under construction. Despite that, nothing ever happened with most of them. Those areas just stayed that way and construction never finished. Wouldn't it be interesting to see developments made? If new buildings are being made somewhere at the beginning of the game, they could be finished by the end of it. I think it just gives the city more of that living feel, which GTA 4 did well with LC.

Possibly the most plausable theory i have read to date.

It would also make sense with the multiple protagonist rumours/wishes.

All shall be elucidated in time to come.

Harwood Butch3r

It's an interesting theory, but what kind of time shift could we expect months, years?

Actually a few months ago I theorized that maybe the start of the game (Lets say the first 20 missions) takes place in 2008 and ends up in 2012. My idea was based on the jewelry store heist, something goes wrong and the protagonist gets thrown in prison and gets released 4 years later.

Note: I chose 2008 based on the fact cars look to be the same as they were in GTA IV. It would be awesome if it was significant time frame like 20 years or so, but at the most we would probably only get a few years. Just enough to notice changes in the environment and popular culture.

Edited by Miamivicecity

MuffinMcFluffin
It's an interesting theory, but what kind of time shift could we expect months, years?

Actually a few months ago I theorized that maybe the start of the game (Lets say the first 20 missions) takes place in 2008 and ends up in 2012. My idea was based on the jewelry store heist, something goes wrong and the protagonist gets thrown in prison and gets released 4 years later.

Note: I chose 2008 based on the fact cars look to be the same as they were in GTA IV. It would be awesome if it was significant time frame like 20 years or so, but at the most we would probably only get a few years. Just enough to notice changes in the environment and popular culture.

That would suffice. Obviously, Rockstar would choose how much time they want to advance based on the story line, and how many "main protagonists" we may or may not play as.

Absolutely. That game is a masterpiece and the most under-rated game R* ever made.

MiamiVice1984

To be honest i got a bit worried when i read that "Bold, new direction" thing becuse to me it sounds like they are going a whole new direction with the GTA series.

GTAboyWonder

Am I the only one who thinks the bold new direction are giant arrows pointing in which direction you need to go?

user posted image

CSM. HB J-DOGG

Im really hope they are going the Multiple protag direction. I believe if they have different story lines that connect at some point it would reach a wider audience. If they allow you to choose wich storyline you want to choose first to play as people wont complain. Maybe 80-100 mission on each would be great along with side missions and hopefully random missions like in RDR.

MuffinMcFluffin
Im really hope they are going the Multiple protag direction. I believe if they have different story lines that connect at some point it would reach a wider audience. If they allow you to choose wich storyline you want to choose first to play as people wont complain. Maybe 80-100 mission on each would be great along with side missions and hopefully random missions like in RDR.

How would they go about making sure you don't advance too far in one story line before having to switch over to another one? Just that no icons would pop up for them anymore?

I don't mind the idea, but I wonder if they would let you choose at any given time, or maybe that time would advance so much that you are eventually somebody else.

In my opinion one protagonist with a sh*tload of missions is better then multiple protagonists each with less missions. wink.gif

CSM. HB J-DOGG

In my opinion one protagonist with a sh*tload of missions is better then multiple protagonists each with less missions. wink.gif

Well we have already had something close to this in IV maybe this time we play as the three heads of a organization. We can Play through the story and see things from three different perspectives. I understand some wanting one protag. But If rockstar has three different guys they could reach a wider audience base. As you can see from the polls there are some who dont want to play as the older balcony guy and some do. By have multiple protags we get the choose the character we can most relate too. Im pretty sure everyone will play all the storylines we can free roam with the one we choose.

MuffinMcFluffin

Well we have already had something close to this in IV maybe this time we play as the three heads of a organization. We can Play through the story and see things from three different perspectives. I understand some wanting one protag. But If rockstar has three different guys they could reach a wider audience base. As you can see from the polls there are some who dont want to play as the older balcony guy and some do. By have multiple protags we get the choose the character we can most relate too. Im pretty sure everyone will play all the storylines we can free roam with the one we choose.

Well in that case, this game could have a co-op campaign, one which is independent of the main story line (unlike Saints Row 3).

Which, of course, could also be the "bold, new direction" haha.

CSM. HB J-DOGG

Well in that case, this game could have a co-op campaign, one which is independent of the main story line (unlike Saints Row 3).

Which, of course, could also be the "bold, new direction" haha.

I can see that maybe missions with co-op as one of the other protags in the organization. I think that would be awsome.