4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

1. Court House
    3. Suggestions

[BSOD]PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

coin-god

I recently got a BSOD on my Windows 7 install. Currently typing this from my WinXP install.

I don't really know what could be causing this, other than the new RAM I installed. I used to have 1 4gb memory stick, and replaced them with 2 new 4GB sticks. The older one was 1333 mhz and the new ones are 1666 mhz.

The thing is, as soon as I installed them Win7 booted perfectly, in fact I worked for a while and then decided to clean my HDD. Deleted 200gb worth of sh*t, programs, games, downloads, etc. I don't think I could have removed any important system file.

After that, happy with my new 250gb of free space, decided to defragment the disk. But unfortunatly the Disk Defragmenter app didn't seem to start. So I decided to reboot. When the Windows7 loading screen finished this happened:

STOP 0x0000006B, PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED.

Investigated and this seems to be the cause:

This issue occurs because the Bootcat.cache file is corrupted or because the size of the Bootcat.cache file is changed since the last successful start.

Note The Bootcat.cache file is located at %SystemRoot%\system32\codeintegrity.

So, after trying with my old RAM, rebooting, waiting for Windows to repair itself and some more useless fixes decided to look for that file.

user posted image

It's not there. And system hidden stuff should be visible.

One of the solutions involves the Win7 dics, wich I can't find. This install worked perfectly for almost 2 years, and I forgot where the damned installation disc is.

Any ideas guys? I really don't want to format and reinstall Win7...

Edited by goin-god

Can you boot up Windows 7 in Safe Mode?

If you can then once you're back in try running System Restore to before you deleted everything, it might not work but could be worth a try.

If that doesn't work but you can still get into Windows through Safe Mode, then once back in go to Start -> Run -> cmd <enter> -> sfc /scannow

This is the system file checker.

Right this is fairly tricky but might do it. If you are using a dual boot and you can run XP on your machine, then restart your machine and pres F8 to load up your boot options, select Windows 7 then once done keep tapping the F8 key again to bring up your secondary boot options, now hopefully here should be an option to "Repair Your Computer", if there is then select that.

Now as you say you can't find your disc, hopefully you'll have a directory within your Windows 7 partition of /i386, if you do then this is where you backups of system files will be so if the repair tool asks for the disc then redirect it to this directory.

If you don't have /i386, then you'll have to tip the house upside down to find that disc.

Here's where you can LEGALLY download Windows 7 ISOs (as long as you have a valid key, it's perfectly legal.)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os...sta-before.html

The above downloads are directly from Microsoft themselves. So I'd like to see someone telling me that it's illegal. For further evidence that it is legal, refer to the following forum on microsoft.com where an MVP is linking to the downloads :-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows...b3-beba42f4bb2e

Note that if your computer is OEM (e.g. Dell, etc.) then you probably shouldn't use those ISOs. The method that Gareth Croke mentioned should be an option on most OEM machines.

Right this is fairly tricky but might do it.  If you are using a dual boot and you can run XP on your machine, then restart your machine and pres F8 to load up your boot options, select Windows 7 then once done keep tapping the F8 key again to bring up your secondary boot options, now hopefully here should be an option to "Repair Your Computer", if there is then select that.

Now as you say you can't find your disc, hopefully you'll have a directory within your Windows 7 partition of /i386, if you do then this is where you backups of system files will be so if the repair tool asks for the disc then redirect it to this directory.

If you don't have /i386, then you'll have to tip the house upside down to find that disc.

I tried that, Windows can't fix the problem. It also dosn't ask for the disc.