Active Ragdolls, Volumetric Lighting,...

RedLightsBlueNights

RedLightsBlueNights

I'm sure that all of you are aware that Rockstar likes to upgrade RAGE every time they release a game. This topic is actually pretty useless, but it gives an insight for what anyone isn't telling you.

Active ragdolls were introduced in Grand Theft Auto IV under what you may know as Euphoria, developed by NaturalMotion. Euphoria uses active ragdolls to create realistic fall and pain animations. This was upgraded in Max Payne 3 where if you hit a wall while in Shoot-Dodge, you fall down like a ragdoll, but keep on aiming your weapons and try to stay balanced.

Animated normal maps were introduced in Red Dead Redemption for the horses and horses only. This technique was use to make Max's clothes in Max Payne 3 look like they were moving.

Volumetric lighting was also introduced in Red Dead Redemption. You may know them as "God/Sun Rays."

Soft-body physics were introduced in Max Payne 3 for some of the hanging cloth lying around. In Grand Theft Auto V's case (trailer speculation), they will also use soft-body physics for the hanging cloth as well. This technique is used to simulate cloth, jelly, etc.

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

Soft-body physics we're implemented in RDR also for the cloth. However, I don't think that we will see soft body physics in vehicles for V. It's just too buggy and uses a lot of memory. Maybe for the next generation consoles.

Soft-body physics we're implemented in RDR also for the cloth. However, I don't think that we will see soft body physics in vehicles for V. It's just too buggy and uses a lot of memory. Maybe for the next generation consoles.

Looking at Max's Hoboken bar outfit, seems like soft-body physics, and is quite good. If you watch carefully it seems like Passos's outfit too have soft-body physics, but is alot more subtle. Rockstar doesn't talk much about RAGE but seems like there will be a leap ahead (pun intended ...Intel tounge.gif ) in GTAV. I'm not complaining, seems like there are good stuff coming.