What is the most effective way of breaking when in

StormerBoy

StormerBoy

If you have:

Accelerator

Foot break

Hand bread

The logic would be to push one or both of the Foot and Hand break to slow down the quickest. However what I find is that if I push all three, that slows me down most effectively. Needless to say in real life stepping on the accelerator doesn’t help you break.

Regardless of this, what is the most effective way to break quickly before a corner, or in other words is there a quicker way than the one I have described?

Hand bread sounds interesting, is it some new food? wink.gif

Seriously though, if I ever seem to outbrake myself, I hold down the standard brake, E-brake and alternate E-brake (L2, R1 and X), that usually does the thing even from a high speed.

...standard brake, E-brake and alternate E-brake (L2, R1 and X), that usually does the thing even from a high speed.

Doesn't X and R1 both do the same thing? (E-brake)

You can use both buttons but they have the same function.

Pull out the phone and select "Camera" where you want to stop. You can literally stop on a dime this way. Cheap, yes, but super useful and also funny as f*ck.

Hand break because I don't have time to slow down. I just drift around the corner wink.gif

StormerBoy

So have none of you guys tried holding down the Accelerator at the same time as breaking?

So have none of you guys tried holding down the Accelerator at the same time as breaking?

That's the complete opposite of what you should do IRL. That's why no one does it, it's innaffective.

It's effective for controlling your car, to stop drifting and for steering in mid air.

I do it on the high way when I need to stop at the tollbooths.

Mattoropael

Foot break Brake

Hand bread Handbrake

You claim yourself to be from England, and yet Middle East Terrorists know English much better than you. Great.

In GTA sense:

1. Your phone is your best brake (Console only as stated in the wiki). Mission markers work just as well.

2. Braking is the best brake without those physics breakers mentioned above, no sh*t. But since ABS is mostly absent from GTA IV, don't hold it down or you'll lose control due to the wheels locking up.

3. Handbrake isn't for stopping a vehicle in motion, IRL or in GTA IV.

IRL:

1. The most effective way to stop is braking. (Duh!)

2. Shifting gear down can significantly slow down the vehicle, but you still need one way or another to stop it.

3. Handbrake is for holding a stationary vehicle in place by locking the rear wheels and is never meant for stopping a vehicle in motion. Using it for the latter will usually end up disastrously. Controlled usage of the handbrake on a moving vehicle is what makes drifting possible, recklessly pulling it, however, will just make the vehicle spin out of control, brake applied or not.

4. Even morons would know that the throttle isn't for decelerating a vehicle. Releasing it also makes the engine decelerate for you.

Edited by *~CNR4806~*

StormerBoy

^Thanks, FYI I know how to drive/brake IRL.

Since making this post I have avoided using the accelerator combined with the foot brake to slowdown, but today I reverted back to it and found once again that, for me it is the most effective method, so it would seem?

What is this ‘phone’ method people talk of? A glitch that allows you to slow down quicker if you pull out the phone? What else is involved?

You need yo pull out phone and take picture with camera. Any vehicle will stop suddenly.

If you pull up your phone and select "Camera" your car will stop instantly i also try it on single player a few times but its pretty damn effactive. But i don't use it no more...Actually you should try it out. icon14.gif

user posted image

VercettiCrimeFamily

I hit the brake and hand brake at the same time most effective in my opinion.