God particle is 'found'

IM_YOUR_GOD

IM_YOUR_GOD

Scientists 'will say they are 99.99% certain' the particle has been found

Leading physicists have been invited to event - sparking speculation that Higgs boson particle has been found

'God Particle' gives particles that make up atoms their mass

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...l#ixzz1zUyP0xJR

Scientists at Cern will announce that the elusive Higgs boson 'God Particle' has been found at a press conference next week, it is believed.

Five leading theoretical physicists have been invited to the event on Wednesday - sparking speculation that the particle has been discovered.

Scientists at the Large Hadron Collider are expected to say they are 99.99 per cent certain it has been found - which is known as 'four sigma' level.

Scroll down for video

The particle accelerator: It is within these tubes that physicists are hunting for the 'God' particle

Physicists first predicted that the Higgs Boson subatomic particle exists 48 years ago.

More...

Thank God this wasn't our sun! Hubble spots planet shedding atmosphere following solar flare outburst

Peter Higgs, the Edinburgh University emeritus professor of physics that the particle is named after, is among those who have been called to the press conference in Switzerland.

Invite: Peter Higgs, the professor the particle is named after, has been asked to attend the press conference at Cern

The management at Cern want the two teams of scientists to reach the 'five sigma' level of certainty with their results - so they are 99.99995 per cent sure - such is the significance of the results.

Tom Kibble, 79, the emeritus professor of physics at Imperial College London, has also been invited but is unable to attend.

He told the Sunday Times: 'My guess is that is must be a pretty positive result for them to be asking us out there.'

The Higgs boson is regarded as the key to understanding the universe. Physicists say its job is to give the particles that make up atoms their mass.

Without this mass, these particles would zip though the cosmos at the speed of light, unable to bind together to form the atoms that make up everything in the universe, from planets to people.

The collider, housed in an 18-mile tunnel buried deep underground near the

French-Swiss border, smashes beams of protons – sub-atomic particles – together at close to the speed of light, recreating the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the Big Bang.

If the physicists’ theory is correct, a few Higgs bosons should be created in every trillion collisions, before rapidly decaying.

An aerial view of the Swiss-French border, indicating the route of the Large Hadron Collider

This decay would leave behind a ‘footprint’ that would show up as a bump in their graphs.

However, despite 1,600 trillion collisions being created in the tunnel - there have been fewer than 300 potential Higgs particles.

Now it is thought that two separate teams of scientists, who run independent experiments in secret from each other, have both uncovered evidence of the particle.

However, the two groups, CMS and ATLAS, are expected to stop short of confirming its existence.

Inside: The giant project is the most enormous piece of scientific apparatus ever constructed, and is buried 100m beneath the ground

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/art...l#ixzz1zUyWtafk

user posted image

BondTrader

Let's just hope they're right this time. If they are it would lead to so many other scientific discoveries.

HydraulicWaRiOr

I wonder what the Christians will say about this discovery. Probably something stupid of course.

[supreme]

OysterBarron

It exists i found its footprint. Reminds me of a certain Mythical beast.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

I wonder what the Christians will say about this discovery. Probably something stupid of course.

[supreme]

Same would apply for any other monotheistic religion that proclaims the theory of creationism.

So they really discover the Higgs boson and not the "Huggies Bison"? tounge2.gif

IM_YOUR_GOD

when science explains why? not how - consciousness.

user posted image

Wow. TBH I thought they'd eventually figure out it wasn't possible or something like that. The future is going to be crazy.

WbZaxRP.png

I'm not great at physics, but I'm not seeing anything about this on the major news sites. And that makes me sceptical. I remember there were scientists in (I think) Genoa who claimed they'd sent particles at speeds faster than the speed of light, and that turned out to be incorrect. So I wouldn't start doing backflips yet. Unless K^2 or Icarus or some other boffin comes in here and says so, I'm not going to believe it.

I'm not great at physics, but I'm not seeing anything about this on the major news sites. And that makes me sceptical. I remember there were scientists in (I think) Genoa who claimed they'd sent particles at speeds faster than the speed of light, and that turned out to be incorrect. So I wouldn't start doing backflips yet. Unless K^2 or Icarus or some other boffin comes in here and says so, I'm not going to believe it.

Pretty much everything you say is suitable for quotable notables, Stu tounge.gif

OysterBarron

What i read was they haven't actually found the god particle.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

Using the Daily Mail in general for anything makes me want to gouge my own eyes out. But for scientific news too? f*ck me.

BondTrader

[supreme]

I'm a Catholic and guess what I have to say about this? it was right above your f*cking post...

Let's just hope they're right this time. If they are it would lead to so many other scientific discoveries.

Don't generalize a type of people asshole.

[supreme]

I'm a Catholic and guess what I have to say about this? it was right above your f*cking post...

Don't generalize a type of people asshole.

Do you praise your god with that mouth?

A discussion which turns into an argument involving science and religion. Finally something new on the internet instead of the same old repetitiveness!

BondTrader
A discussion which turns into an argument involving science and religion. Finally something new on the internet instead of the same old repetitiveness!

It can always be evaded. This is a scientific topic but there's always someone who has to make an offensive remark on religion. sarcasm.gif

Until they announce something on Wednesday we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm kinda hoping they will announce it, but there is still time yet, I mean it's a long time until 21st December 2012.

wZVJHXg.png

From what I've read, they've only said they have an announcement coming up. There's just rumors that they found Higgs Boson.

Adam Jensen

I'm kinda of hoping they didn't find it. If the Higgs boson is really as predictable and ordinary as they think it is then it turns out we were right all along and the universe is a boring f*ckin' place. Nonexistence of Higgs boson is actually more exciting. It would force scientists to come up with another theory, and who knows where that would lead. Maybe the universe wouldn't be as boring. Maybe FTL travel would be possible one day.

MikeChase69

I'm kinda of hoping they didn't find it. If the Higgs boson is really as predictable and ordinary as they think it is then it turns out we were right all along and the universe is a boring f*ckin' place. Nonexistence of Higgs boson is actually more exciting. It would force scientists to come up with another theory, and who knows where that would lead. Maybe the universe wouldn't be as boring. Maybe FTL travel would be possible one day.

suicidal.gif

I saw this on Yahoo and as usaully I read the article but I was more interested in the comments. Someone wrote "why don't they cure cancer first" lol gotta love people who post on yahoo.

Higgs Boson: Physicists See Best Proof Yet of 'The God Particle'

Edited by MikeChase69

I saw the story on The USA Today. That's cool. Now they can get to work on a zero-point energy field manipulator, or "gravity gun" to laymen. It's gonna be sweet.

AlexGTAGamer

Ooooh, interesting. Can't wait to see if they finally confirm this, here's hoping. And if so confirmed, the inventions that could soon follow. icon14.gif

OysterBarron

The big word in the article is 300 potential chances of making a higs.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

nightwalker83

God doesn't exist so what is to seprate the particle from the other particles. sigh.gif

OysterBarron

Dont quote me but i think its basically the particle that makes all the other particles. Without it there would be no particles.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

Dear friends, i read this thread yesterday whilst very high, i'm now not high and still don't understand what this is, care to simplify it for an idiot?

user posted imageuser posted image

Dear friends, i read this thread yesterday whilst very high, i'm now not high and still don't understand what this is, care to simplify it for an idiot?

This thread is about the possible discovery of the Higgs boson or as said in the title, the "God" particle. Hypothetically this particle gives other particles their mass which is turn allows for atoms to form. Here's a video further explaining it in a simple way.

Edited by NCONiall

OysterBarron

this is what i read on yahoo

Scientists are poised to announce they have enough evidence to show that the long-sought "God particle" answering fundamental questions about the universe almost certainly exists.

But after decades of work and billions of pounds, researchers at the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, or CERN, say they are not quite ready to say they have "discovered" the particle.

Instead, experts familiar with the research at CERN's vast complex on the Swiss-French border say that the data they have obtained will essentially show the footprint of the key particle known as the Higgs boson - all but proving it exists - but does not allow them to say it has actually been glimpsed.

It appears to be a fine distinction. Senior CERN scientists say the two independent teams of physicists who plan to present their work at CERN's vast complex on the Swiss-French border on Wednesday are about as close as you can get to a discovery without actually calling it one.

"I agree that any reasonable outside observer would say, 'It looks like a discovery,'" said British theoretical physicist John Ellis from King's College London who has worked at CERN since the 1970s. "We've discovered something which is consistent with being a Higgs."

CERN's atom smasher, the Large Hadron Collider, has been creating high-energy collisions of protons to help them understand suspected phenomena such as dark matter, antimatter and ultimately the creation of the universe billions of years ago, which many theorise occurred as a massive explosion known as the Big Bang.

For particle physicists, finding the Higgs boson is a key to confirming the standard model of physics that explains what gives mass to matter and, by extension, how the universe was formed.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

[supreme]

Are you aware that many scientists hold religious beliefs? They see science as re affirming what God was capable off. As such, finding the Higgs Boson Particle aka the GOD Particle ( Hint hint hint ) might just re affirm their faith in God, instead of you know being a twat like yourself.

Are you so blinded by some moral outrage that you think everyone in a certain grouping is a f*cking moron? Your sense of superiority is based in nothing more than some perceived observation about everyone else, an observation which is constantly incorrect. Perhaps, you should take some time and learn about other people before you condemn them.

As such, go get f*cked. Seriously, all you do is try to incite flame wars and never contribute anything to a thread. You are the worst kind of troll because you truly believe what you are doing is needed. I'm here to tell you it isn't.

Christian Thinkers in Science

Charles Townes

John Polkinghorne

Michal Heller

Eric Priest

Christopher Isham

Denis Alexander

Karl Giberson

Martin Nowak

Jennifer Wiseman

Source: Wikipedia

If you actually look and read those links, you will see a mixture of physicists, mathematical physicists, evolutionary biologists, NASA scientists, and particle physicists all claiming to be Christian. As such, I will tell you again to f*ck off.

Oh and one last thing you just got lawyered and scienced.