What basis should the plot take?

Harwood Butch3r

Harwood Butch3r

As we all the GTA III era consisted of many Hollywood like influences during their stories with perhaps VC being the most notable with its heavy take on Scarface.

Then GTA IV came along without the Hollywood starpower and really only had one part influenced by a famous film. Three Leaf Clover being influenced from Heat.

So my question is would you prefer the old way with Hollywood being a major part of the plot or something more original and independent like GTA IV?

Since the game will be based on modern LA I don't mind if R* turn to Hollywood again. Two themes I'd love to see would be The Fast & The Furious and Training Day.

Assuming races are brought back there should be a strand of missions influenced by the original movie since it's based in (well at that time) modern LA. I'm not sure how Training Day could be squeezed in, but maybe a DLC with a similar tone could work.

I think it's tough to say any of the GTA games follow a Hollywood storyline... they are all unique stories created by Rockstar based on the typical stereotypes of the genres they are related to.

I want to see another unique story that details the life of someone who involves themselves in the deepest of criminal activities. I want this story set in a sandbox world where I can do anything I want, whenever I want.

jackass2009

I somewhat expect it to follow some of Quentin Tarantino's work. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs both come to my mind when thinking of GTA V for some odd reason. The dark humor, such as the hillbilly rape/katana scene in Pulp Fiction, especially come to mind. I think they both took place in Southern California, as well.

I, for some reason, kind of expect some mission strands to each be based off of a movie. For example, Ian is plotting a diamond heist and it goes horribly wrong, and only the player manages to escape with his life (a la Reservoir Dogs), et cetera, et cetera.

EDIT: I'm a wee bit stoned right now, so if any of that came off as nonsensical, please just ignore it.

Edited by jackass2009

Dr. Zoidberg

Well heres a list of all the movies that have been set in Los Angeles. Anyone of these movies could make some sort of cameo in V

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films..._in_Los_Angeles

Point Break - Surfer dudes robbing banks, you rob a bank with them in one mission

Boyz n the Hood - Dough Boy and his low rider

Menace 2 Society - Korean convenience store scene, Making crack and getting dough, O-dog

Blood in Blood out - Vatos Loco

White Men Cant Jump - Billy and Sidney two loud mouth street ball players

Speed 2 - Hijacked luxury cruise ship speeding towards the coast and you have to stop it

American History X - Derek and Danny Vinyard, Two white supremacists

Gone in 60 Seconds - The car heist, a unique car Eleanor

Big Momma's house - Meet an undercover cop in a fat woman suit haha in which he gives you a mission

Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles - Some crazy Australia bloke named Mick going on a knife wielding rampage

Training day- Bent cop, sets up a rookie and gets him killed in the hood (even though thats not what happens)

Biker Boyz - Kinda like Malc and DeSean from TLAD

Italian Job - A mission that you steal stuff in Mini Coopers

Dragnet - P.A.G.A.N. movement lol

Soul Plane - Snoop Dogg looking pilot eats drugs (mushrooms) and dies mid flight haha

JackAss 2 - Group of stupid people doing stunts, you have to get them well known by advertising for them, or doing stunts with them

Edited by Dr. Zoidberg

HydraulicWaRiOr

Sort of the feeling the trailer gave.

Blissful and yet disturbed.

[supreme]

I really would like V to be it's own unique, independent story... but I wouldn't mind certain aspects from films like Pulp Fiction or Drive. V is about "the pursuit of the almighty dollar" so perhaps it will be like a twisted version of the movie The Pursuit of Happiness? lol.gif

kSTG7.png

[O]tter[ba]nned Oct 8, 2013, for 91 days.

The first crime we see in GTAV is a robbery. I'm sure it will take some more ideas from Heat. Breaking Bad also comes to mind. Rockstar has had to have seen that.

All in all, I don't think it will be as heavily influenced as VC/SA were (III was original) ever again. GTA will always take ideas from film and TV crime stories, but I think Rockstar is trying to show games don't have to follow films, and instead it can take the lead creatively on it's own and be just as if not more successful.

Finn 7 five 11

I always use Uncharted as an example, i think it is brilliant, the storyline in that game is fantastic, i think it draws a lot from Indiana Jones, a charming sarcastic rogue on a hunt for treasure "Oh just what i need, a bunch of bad guys" this is intermingled with unexpected surprises and it is fantastic despite being similar to IJ.

I noticed IV was the least film influenced GTA game, it had a great story, but at times i was confused as to who he was, sometimes he would be a sympathetic person doing one thing, nek minute he is a totally different person, this may have been intentional but i didn't really like it, Niko didn't seem consistent and it made getting to know him very difficult indeed and the reason he is so muddled as a character is because Rockstar didn't really have a focus, a thing to draw from and remain consistent with.

The like of Tommy CJ and Nathan Drake, you can sort of know what to expect, Tommy will usually be some badass take no sh*t kinda guy who will kill on a whim and insult anyone, CJ is always a gangster looking to better his gang who has a smart way of doing things, Nathan Drake always sees the brightside of things and is looking for action, Niko on the other hand was harder to pick, and harder to connect with and i think it is because (i repeat) Rockstar didn't really have a focus, a thing to draw from and remain consistent with.

Think of your friends, you know how they will react and they always do or say things that make you think "Of course you would say that" and it makes it mean much more, you have a creepy friend who always says creepy things and it will make you laugh when he says something creepy, anyone else and it's sort of like "Erm...wat".

In summary: The character needs to be consistent so we can become familiar with them which in turn leads to more of a connection with the character, this consistency can be attained by having inspiration to draw from, and if the character is becoming too off track you can bring them back into line with the inspirational piece/film.

Edited by finn4life

locolow2011

I would love for the game to resemble the movie "Drive" the same way Vice City resembled Miami Vice and Scarface.

If you haven't seen Drive, i would highly reccomend you to see it, it has a fantastic atmosphere and its set in L.A. so it all fits, the movie has its share of violent scenes as well so yeah.

Harwood Butch3r
I noticed IV was the least film influenced GTA game, it had a great story, but at times i was confused as to who he was, sometimes he would be a sympathetic person doing one thing, nek minute he is a totally different person, this may have been intentional but i didn't really like it, Niko didn't seem consistent and it made getting to know him very difficult indeed and the reason he is so muddled as a character is because Rockstar didn't really have a focus, a thing to draw from and remain consistent with.

It wasn't a lack of consistency IMO. Niko was just a very conflicted man that's all. His unpredictable personality is what makes him so great.

Well it's definitely true that each GTA game has had a particular focus and feel about it. The 80's Scarface style "making it big" of VC, the mafia orientated style of III, the Boyz n the Hood and ghetto gang banger of SA and the gritty immigrant story of IV. They've each had themes. Some of them have focused on certain films, on portraying a certain time and place, a particular culture and style. They've all had a mixture of those with each one focusing on certain aspects more than others.

I think with V we already know what the main theme will be and that's going to be money and the recession, although that's still pretty broad and vague. I'd be surprised if there weren't clear nods to certain films, especially with it being set in LA the home of Hollywood. I don't see one film alone being a theme throughout game, but I do see a mission or a series of missions being based on films or taking a large influence from a film. Much like the French Connection chase scene in IV.

I do think there will be more of a family element to this game also. We might see a wife or some kids, though I doubt they'll be younger than 18. I think this just because it will make the whole money/recession background theme much more realistic and grounded, and the game itself more unique. I think without that (the family aspect) it would be quite similar to IV in that it will be about grittyness and the less glamarous aspects of life, and it wouldn't really stand out on its own. Plus we've also had hints to this in the "leaked" cast list (if that is indeed true), and in the trailer itself.

Racecarlock

I hope it's not another middle aged man who was once a gangster that gets forced back into crime and complains the whole way through it. Niko was alright, but I want a guy who actually enjoys what he does when he gets back in. That doesn't mean he has to be a one dimensional psychopath, I just don't want to hear constant whinging.

I'd like to see the Hollywood based story and themes and easter eggs in it. I enjoyed the VC and SA stories, and I can't even remember IV too much. They were boring characters and too much at times. I'd rather have the Woozy/ Smoke/ Ryder/ Rosenberg/ Diaz etc. over uh.... Packie/Little Jacob and the steroid junkie.