Worth it?

Th3MaN1

OK so...I got a Playstation 3 yesterday,without any cable,controller etc.Only the system itself+ the memory card thing doesn't work.

My question is:Is it worth to waste all my money on the cables,the controller and memory card?Does it have the same problem like the 360 with the red ring thingie?Plus are the games good?I'm talking about the variety of those "unpopular games".Not like GTA,Max Payne etc.

I have the money,so that's not a problem.

You can do more with the PS3 than play games. Many reviewers still use the PS3 as a benchmark for blu-ray players in some ways. It's also a good DLNA device; allows you to stream media from your PC to your TV, in this case through the PS3. The PS3 can watch Netflix, Youtube, Hulu and other streaming services.

As far as I know there is no red ring like issue like what the 360 gets. The games for the most part are the same, some games are exclusive to the 360 just as some are for the PS3.

The internet service with the PS3 is free (I think) unlike the 360 which cost money/subscription

Legacy-666_

how do you know the memory card thing ( you must have a gen 1 version as the card reader was phased out long ago, the memory card is built in these days) if you dont have any cables.?

The older ps3's are known for their over heating issues causing the YLOD (yellow light of death)

Also there are free game you can download from the Playstation store (internet connection needed)

Edited by Legacy-666_

The older ps3's are known for their over heating issues causing the YLOD (yellow light of death)

This, which are named PS3 FAT. Can you show us if it is the slim of fat version? if you're not sure about it just post the HDD size.

3lIXKDi.png

I have a slim version,and my cousin who gave it to me said that the memory card or HDD doesn't work.Probably burnt down.It has 40 gb.

You can do more with the PS3 than play games. Many reviewers still use the PS3 as a benchmark for blu-ray players in some ways. It's also a good DLNA device; allows you to stream media from your PC to your TV, in this case through the PS3. The PS3 can watch Netflix, Youtube, Hulu and other streaming services.

As far as I know there is no red ring like issue like what the 360 gets. The games for the most part are the same, some games are exclusive to the 360 just as some are for the PS3.

The internet service with the PS3 is free (I think) unlike the 360 which cost money/subscription

The internet is free, and PS3 has many high-rating exclusives.

If I were you, I'd go try to save it. Specially if you're interested in those games - take a look at them here.

Legacy-666_

you can easily replace the hdd with a bigger one, so it may be worth buying those cables and checking if it works or not.

The console itself works.I plugged one of the cables from my monitor(the one which transfers the electricity) to the ps3.When I pressed the power on button,it was flashing red.

PS3s should have a HDMI port. You can get an HDMI cable very cheap, Amazon has some for as little as $2 with free shipping. If you get one local then don't pay anything more than $5 for a 3ft or $10 for a 6ft, you shouldn't anything longer then 6ft.

Since it seems the power is using a standard PC power cable you can get those easy enough at any computer store, should be around $10.

A PS3 controller is around $30-60 depending on where you go and what you get, usually the after-market controllers are going to be cheaper.

The controller will be your biggest pay out, if the PS3 turns out to be bad well you have and HDMI cable and PC power cord you can still use for other things. The controller on the other hand;hopefully return it, you can sell it to someone that can use it, or maybe use it with your PC games.

Legacy-666_

how old is it? maybe its still under warranty and you can get the issue sorted. hdd's are pretty cheap these days so replacing it wont cost you much

I don't think it's under warranty anymore.It looks old as sh*t.

And also 1 more question:Does every USB controller works with the ps3?Or do I have to buy an original one?

And also 1 more question:Does every USB controller works with the ps3?Or do I have to buy an original one?

I've seen non-original ones working normally, though I'm not sure if all of them will. confused.gif

3lIXKDi.png

Then i'm good.I don't want anything ultra modern,as long as it works.Thanks for the answers/links everyone.This can be locked now.Or feel free to make a fatality on it.