iCEnhancer 2.0N Problem

mulder84

About a month ago, i decided to try out the ENB iCEnhancer mod for GTA IV. Initially it worked (after some problems at first, but was resolved soon after), so I added in other mods (Viva La New York and Viva La New York:Flashing Lights). However, after adding in the Flashing Lights mod, I got the scrambled text problems (menu options only have initials; places and names in-game are all gibberish), and despite using fixes and rolling back the changes, it didn't go away, so I had to delete all GTA IV game files and reinstall again.

However, since then, when I run GTA IV with any iCEnhancer mods, it will crash only after loading, when Niko takes a few steps forward. Also, I've noticed explorer.exe countinously running at 40%-60% CPU capacity after the crash, frequent crashes of explorer.exe during file transfers, and the video card apparently gets very hot. These problems will continue until I restart the entire PC, and won't reappear until I run GTA IV with iCEnhancer again. Does anyone know about this?

CPU Specs:

Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz

4GB RAM

Windows 7 (64-bit)

GeForce GTX 550 Ti (1GB)

I've already downgraded GTA IV to version 1.0.4.0.

Edited by mulder84

little seoul

that's because of all the broken shader code ice puts in enbeffect and shader.fx.

he doesn't know what he's doing.

the reason why your cpu continues to burn itself into oblivion is because of the grave programming errors in enbeffect that ice put in, gta iv with icenhancer is essentially

busted and broken. what you're experiencing is not just the game freezing, but your entire cpu freezing (not to mention your gpu heating up) because the cpu is still trying

to piece together the broken code that crashed the game while it was running.

while it's still running it is nearly impossible to shut it off without restarting your pc entirely (by literally unplugging it).

that was my experience with icenhancer mods. i don't recommend them.

(ice tests the mod on his laptop and lets people with good pcs test them - unfortunately they don't inform him of any of these problems they are having)

best enb to use for patch 7:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/l3evo-gp-best8-7-f9837

for patch 4:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/l3evo-2012-n...2-nvidia-f11884

uninstall icenhancer and try these out.

your pc will thank you in the end.

I'm banned because I'm an asshole.

G

Prof_Farnsworth

I feel I have to chime in here. I have used multiple versions of Icenhancer since he began releasing and have never had serious crash issues (hell, my own mods crash my game more, which is a small amount). I can't speak to broken code or anything of the sort, but in my personal experience, using Ice on GTA IV yields no problems other than a lower fame rate (issue for all ENB's due to increased reflections, adaptation, etc.

The overheating issue is a well known problem of ENB series 0.82 (documented by Ice as well as Boris on the official site for ENB) carrying warnings for Nvidia cards, so I would not be so quick to blame the coding for this, as it can happen with any ENB using 0.82.

Does the crash happen when you use other ENB's, or just Icenhancer? I am looking at that processor as the main culprit here. If I have trouble running smooth on an I7 @ 3.6GHz, then I can't imagine what that Core 2 must be doing, especially with ENB. I am also curious about the Explorer usage when not using ENB, as there is no reason for windows explorer to be running anything (that heavy) unless you are in windowed mode, or alt-tabbing in and out of the game.

I would recommend testing someone else's ENB (like the ones posted above). If you still crash, try turning of effects (SSAO, AA, Real time reflections, etc) until you find a stable game.

little seoul - In my experience, Icelaglace has always released quality mods, which is why I felt I needed to respond here. He has a lot of haters due to the popularity of Icenhancer, but ENB is HIGHLY dependent on each system, and as such will operate differently for everyone. I can't remember the last time I unplugged my PC, let alone for a simple restart.

Hope you get it sorted.

Thanks. The L3EVO (2012 NY) v1.2 NVidia mod suggested by little seoul works, although the reflections of car bodies don't look so good now (similar to original GTA IV quality)

As for explorer.exe cpu usage, a week ago I tried using a program called ProcessExplorer to figure out the reason behind the problem, and it showed that a particular thread called "SHLWAPI.dll!SHRegGetUSValueW+0x1a4" is causing the high cpu usage, but beyond that, I couldn't figure out anything else. Also, it doesn't spring up unless I use iCEnhancer (and only recently). I have GTAIV SIMPLE NATIVE TRAINER Version 6.4, the Viva La New York mods, and the ENB mod suggested by little seoul, all of them work as long as iCEnhancer isn't included.

Although what puzzles me is that the iCEnhancer mod actually works initially.

little seoul

I feel I have to chime in here. I have used multiple versions of Icenhancer since he began releasing and have never had serious crash issues (hell, my own mods crash my game more, which is a small amount). I can't speak to broken code or anything of the sort, but in my personal experience, using Ice on GTA IV yields no problems other than a lower fame rate (issue for all ENB's due to increased reflections, adaptation, etc.

The overheating issue is a well known problem of ENB series 0.82 (documented by Ice as well as Boris on the official site for ENB) carrying warnings for Nvidia cards, so I would not be so quick to blame the coding for this, as it can happen with any ENB using 0.82.

Does the crash happen when you use other ENB's, or just Icenhancer? I am looking at that processor as the main culprit here. If I have trouble running smooth on an I7 @ 3.6GHz, then I can't imagine what that Core 2 must be doing, especially with ENB. I am also curious about the Explorer usage when not using ENB, as there is no reason for windows explorer to be running anything (that heavy) unless you are in windowed mode, or alt-tabbing in and out of the game.

I would recommend testing someone else's ENB (like the ones posted above). If you still crash, try turning of effects (SSAO, AA, Real time reflections, etc) until you find a stable game.

little seoul - In my experience, Icelaglace has always released quality mods, which is why I felt I needed to respond here. He has a lot of haters due to the popularity of Icenhancer, but ENB is HIGHLY dependent on each system, and as such will operate differently for everyone. I can't remember the last time I unplugged my PC, let alone for a simple restart.

Hope you get it sorted.

love you farnsworth,

but the icelaglace dude tries to send me viruses on youtube under "simple999" (a modder i respect's) name.

i go on gta4-mods earlier and i see this:

http://www.gta4-mods.com/misc/enb-by-simple999-f15018

i have some pretty solid printable evidence that this is ice.

in short, i don't like the guy and steer clear of anything he makes.

also, at felix (legacyy):

are you blind or just retarded?

i'm cv you idiot.

G

but the icelaglace dude tries to send me viruses on youtube under "simple999" (a modder i respect's) name.

I have that impression too. A lot of online sources keep telling me the explorer.exe problem could be caused by malware, and the only thing causing that to happen is running iCEnhancer.

However, the ENB mod (for 1.0.4.0 version) had odd graphic issues in cutscenes, the outdoors taking on a sepia color, indoors are simply too bright too bright to see much of anything. I tried adjusting enbseries.ini, but they do not have much effect in cutscene quality. Is there any reason I'm getting all this?

@mulder84

ever tried stopping the explorer.exe? lol.gif

you know windows needs that .exe to eork, right? xDD

also, at felix (legacyy):

are you blind or just retarded?

i'm cv you idiot.

never use my real name again u little f*ck mistake.

Deme Nuñez AKA Little Soul AKA Corp..

I KNOW that and i don't care about you and your hilarious "coding skills" .

You're just a little bitch AKA a girl that can't handle critism by other people.

And YOU uploaded the 3 ENB's on gta mods. already contacted admins to get them removed and you banned from there.

Edited by legacyy

Prof_Farnsworth

@little seoul - Hmmm, sorry to hear that. Never had that kind of issue myself with him (or Icenhancer), but to each their own.

@mulder84 - Are these brightness issues happening with the new L3evo set. I know some people don't bother messing with the interiors or cut scenes as they are done differently (some features of certain ENB's are that they have fixed the interiors brightness issues). I am not an ENB expert though, so unfortunately, the best advice I can give is to try different sets.

asphixiation

I just recently installed iCEnhancer v2.0 and initially it works BUT after running for like 3-5 min max it crashes and says "GTAIV FATAL ERROR: Unrecoverable fault - Please restart the game" (which I have multiple times) but it continues to do the same thing. I downgraded to 1.0.4.0. because I have the Steam version and installed everything correctly I believe. Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Build

CPU-FX-8150 @ 4.2ghz

GPU-EVGA GTX 560 SC 2GB

RAM-16GB Corsair Vengeance

MoBo-Asus M5A99X EVO

Ice 2.0 is high overrated and yes the shaders are done poorly thats why its so heavily resource hungry.

I def wouldn't trust it on a GPU I actually care about

• 2 weeks later...
little seoul
Thanks. The L3EVO (2012 NY) v1.2 NVidia mod suggested by little seoul works, although the reflections of car bodies don't look so good now (similar to original GTA IV quality)

glad you like mate, tis one of the best.

try my reflections out (an early taste of my settings) if you want heavy reflections:

[CARWINDOWGLASS]

ReflectionAmount=1

SpecularPower=100.0

SpecularAmount=100.0

OpacityMultiplier=1

[CHROME]

ReflectionFront=3

ReflectionSide=3

SpecularPower=10.0

SideFade=10.0

MetallicAmount=100

[WHEELS]

ReflectionFront=3

ReflectionSide=3

SpecularPower=10

SideFade=10

MetallicAmount=0

[REFLECTION1]

ReflectionFront=1

ReflectionSide=1

SpecularPower=2

SideFade=0.9

MetallicAmount=0

[REFLECTION2]

ReflectionFront=0.8

ReflectionSide=1

SpecularPower=1

SideFade=0.9

MetallicAmount=0

[REFLECTION3]

ReflectionFront=0.8

ReflectionSide=0.8

SpecularPower=1

SideFade=0.9

MetallicAmount=0

my saying is, if it's chrome, it's reflective and should rightly so be.

l3 evo's are pretty basic, i believe only because their settings are fully tweakable and a lot of carmodders use their settings.

so they don't impose any type of order on them.

G