3. Writers' Discussion
      4. Debates & Discussion
    1. Announcements

1. GTANet 20th Anniversary
    2. Support

3. Suggestions

Raspberry Pi

riquenunes

Yeah, I'm old too. I grew up before video games existed.

They support model 2, but damn...get a model 3.

Haha I'm not alone then! I got the 2 ages ago and it's gathered dust for a while now, so I can't justify getting the 3 right now. Maybe if I start using it more I'll upgrade.

Because I can't stop having fun with these little things - my little story from last night:

I created my OSMC build (kodi) and did all the fancy addon stuff. So I've got a nice little boot straight to Kodi box now.

But that isn't my story.

Sure sure sure I installed Kore on my tablet so that I had a remote as well as the ability to manage the kodi box without having to have a keyboard attached.

But it gets better.

It was late - way past my bedtime so I grabbed my TV remote to switch the input back to normal. I hit the wrong button on my TV remote and next thing you know the movie I was watching paused. Holy sh*t! My TV remote has full control over my Kodi box too! I did nothing. Talk about a super cool pleasant surprise.

Bonus; I now have a nice collection of bootable .img files.

You can help with graphics for an Xbox game.  Check out this thread here at GTAF for more info.

FREE!!! FREE!!! Free copy of my crappy little Xbox/Windows game NewZerk!!! <--Click to redeem free code!

MBMP1oP.png

Because I can't stop having fun with these little things - my little story from last night:

I created my OSMC build (kodi) and did all the fancy addon stuff. So I've got a nice little boot straight to Kodi box now.

But that isn't my story.

Sure sure sure I installed Kore on my tablet so that I had a remote as well as the ability to manage the kodi box without having to have a keyboard attached.

But it gets better.

It was late - way past my bedtime so I grabbed my TV remote to switch the input back to normal. I hit the wrong button on my TV remote and next thing you know the movie I was watching paused. Holy sh*t! My TV remote has full control over my Kodi box too! I did nothing. Talk about a super cool pleasant surprise.

Bonus; I now have a nice collection of bootable .img files.

How does that work then? Cause right now I'm using Kore on my phone as the remote but being able to use an existing actual remote would be awesome. Without haptic feedback I always need to stare at my remote, which isn't natural really.

Edited by Natz_83

I 'think' some of my original's can be converted to USB surely? (Saturn/N64/PSX) No? Feel's pointless investing in more controllers when I already have the original's in the loft.

Not sure on that, most likely there's a way though. I did see where a dude put his Raspberry Pi into his original Xbox controller. Seeing as how I have four of them, I wanna do that.

I really will need to research it more, as per usual it's finding the time and patience to sit down and work my way through pages of information and digest it.

I 'think' some of my original's can be converted to USB surely? (Saturn/N64/PSX) No? Feel's pointless investing in more controllers when I already have the original's in the loft.

Any controller can be converted into a USB controller. Only depends on how much work you want to do. Most of the olden-days controllers were simple serial devices. You can usually get away with COM to USB adapter and a bit of soldering. Rest can be fixed-up in software. Alternatively, hook it up to something like an Arduino or any other MCU with USB out and have it emulate a standard joystick.

Newer controllers are trickier, and it's easier to just solder an MCU with USB right to the buttons/switches/joysticks.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Any controller can be converted into a USB controller. Only depends on how much work you want to do. Most of the olden-days controllers were simple serial devices. You can usually get away with COM to USB adapter and a bit of soldering. Rest can be fixed-up in software. Alternatively, hook it up to something like an Arduino or any other MCU with USB out and have it emulate a standard joystick.

Newer controllers are trickier, and it's easier to just solder an MCU with USB right to the buttons/switches/joysticks.

Clearly you're someone with more experience than me needless to say. I'm going to look into this shortly when I dig out all my old stuff from the loft. Have a proper look at what I've still got left.

As far as controllers. I've tested retropi with a couple Logitech pc controllers, Xbox one, and ps3. So far I haven't run into a controller that doesn't work.

I only went with a cheap retro controller for retro demo reasons. When I play I use my Logitech because I'm used to the feel and layout.

I burnt my retropi image for a workmate and he had it on him today (ps3 controller). It was a pi 2 and it had no issues with the image or controller.

You can help with graphics for an Xbox game.  Check out this thread here at GTAF for more info.

FREE!!! FREE!!! Free copy of my crappy little Xbox/Windows game NewZerk!!! <--Click to redeem free code!

MBMP1oP.png

• 2 weeks later...

I've picked up a Zero W a few days ago. Couldn't resist trying out RetroPie on it. That thing really did have no problems recognizing anything I connected to it via USB. I ended up settling on PS3 gamepad because I'm used to its feel. I did have some problems configuring bluetooth devices, but I spent very little time with it, so I probably just missed something.

For the record, NES and Atari 2600 games ran great. SNES was borderline unplayable, but I haven't tried the overclock option. Either way, Zero's capabilities are quite a bit lower than these of Pi 3.

• Like 2

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Yeah, I have a Logitech controller plugged in since it's a better feel for me.

Don't forget Sega Genesis games...they run great too.

Bonus feature with Retropie is being able to add kodi as a node. Yay!

Non-Fun pi stuff: I've been using bricks (brix, brik,...) at work for digital signage and other public big board applications. I just bought a handful of model 3b pi(s) to use in place of $100 brix. Still just selling POC but I'm having fun.

MBMP1oP.png

2 storiea:

Short one first. I finished my 2 POCs for work. 1 just loads a full screen VLC running an .mp4 video for digital signage - Running on Jessie lite. The other is a dot net app the uses an http feed for a dynamic data based digital sign (think airport arrival sign) - running on iOT.

But here is the last piece of my favorite home project. My super console (plus kodi) is now 100% and in a case and all.

Na1jJRT.jpg

XITrKjf.jpg

tpuQQys.jpg

Feel free to see it get turned on.

MBMP1oP.png

• 3 years later...

Really?  Am I the only one here who plays around with fun little single boards?

Ok...

I just wrapped up a fun one.  It's a thermometer that represents the outside temperature with pictures of my dogs.

Pics of the simple circuit board:

S59ZsgC.jpg

Bottom

Doso36W.jpg

With DHT attached

9BYn84z.jpg

Attached to a 3B with the DHT dangling out a window.

rPHaa4V.jpg

Using an old 10" tablet for the display.  Tomorrow I'm building a nice wood frame around this so that you dont know it is a tablet.

vK9D2Ox.jpg

The fun:

It uses a little python program to read the temperature and humidity and writes the values to a mysql database.  

The presentation layer is just a php web page that reads the data from the database and randomly displays a picture from the proper temperature/ humidity grouping...it changes the pic every 5 minutes(for now).

I had to write an android app to display it on the tablet.  Yay.

There is a really simple web based admin page for my wife to upload and manage the pictures.

*every line of code and bits of configuration were done by me from scratch...always willing to share anything.

Edited by trip

MBMP1oP.png

On 5/30/2020 at 1:57 AM, trip said:

Really?  Am I the only one here who plays around with fun little single boards?

Ok...

I just wrapped up a fun one.  It's a thermometer that represents the outside temperature with pictures of my dogs.

Pics of the simple circuit board:

Great idea! Nice project Trip, glad you got it all working. What sort of monitor are you using for that? 

Finally got mine! I just got the board, so I have no PSU. I do have a keyboard, and a memory card. I have no clue if I can do anything with that or if I'll need to wait for a PSU. Waiting until this day next week to order one. 

24 minutes ago, Mister Pink said:

Great idea! Nice project Trip, glad you got it all working. What sort of monitor are you using for that? 

Finally got mine! I just got the board, so I have no PSU. I do have a keyboard, and a memory card. I have no clue if I can do anything with that or if I'll need to wait for a PSU. Waiting until this day next week to order one. 

Damn...get that power supply.

For the thermometer project I'm using an old samsung tablet for the display.   Since the presentation layer is essentially just a web page I wrote a little android app that uses WebView to display the web page.

Here is the entire code.

this.requestWindowFeature(Window.FEATURE_NO_TITLE);
this.getWindow().addFlags(WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_KEEP_SCREEN_ON);
this.getWindow().setFlags(WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_FULLSCREEN, WindowManager.LayoutParams.FLAG_FULLSCREEN);

setContentView(R.layout.activity_main) 
webview.getSettings().setJavaScriptEnabled(true) 
webview.setWebViewClient(WebViewClient())

webview.loadUrl("http://10.0.0.24/")

Edited by trip
  • Like 1

MBMP1oP.png

It has begun.  My replacement slot cars were delivered today. 

My wife said "what did you get"? 

I said "those slot cars I need for that project".

She said "oh you were serious"?

Yup...it's happening.

2 fresh slot cars, a box of servos, and 1 trigger mounted to a board as I figure out the physical setup.

tlaBgXC.jpg

I have some of the servo coding done and I'm just working out the physical mounting... Not like I have a machine shop in my basement.  Gotta say it is fun to manually hold the servo in place and watch it work.  

If all goes well (and I'm not called back into the office next week) I hope that my next post is an example of one car going around the track.  Chances of that look pretty good right now.  Honest...it was all I could do to not just duct tape something for the fun of it today.

MBMP1oP.png

Live test #1.  No sh*t...

MBMP1oP.png

Sorry for all the bumpin'.  I'm just trying to motor through this project as best I can before getting summoned back to the office.

I now have 2 controllers ready and the basic code to operate them independently.  I'm loving it to say the least.

Ab2TeXp.jpg

Just need to do some fine tuning but I expect to video test #2 later today.  Test #2 is full figure 8 track and both cars auto racing.   I'm going to write a "demo mode" of my code that will randomly vary the speed of each car.   

I had too much fun with my early tests of two cars running.  

E:

Getting so close.  2 independent running cars.  Still enough tuning to do on the controllers but totally enough to show.

I now have to move from the Pi 4b to the 3b now since the IOT libraries arent ready for the 4b yet.  I hope to do that tomorrow along with adjusting my current code for IOT.  If all goes well I should be ready for live internet testing in a few days.

If the internet test goes well than I will spend a bit on better slot cars gear and gear.   Turns out the cars I bought aren't the best.  I'd also like to move off the 30 year old Tyco track I'm using.   I had to sand the track forever in order to get the contacts to work.

Edited by trip
  • Like 3

MBMP1oP.png

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2020 at 5:05 PM, trip said:

I'm just trying to motor through this project as best I can before getting summoned back to the office.

I see what you did there.  ;) 

Nice project man! Very interesting! I wonder if you could put little strip on the track and connect it to the board so it could count the amount of laps and/or the times it takes a car to complete a lap. 

Anyway I got my Pi 4 back in May and I only got it setup last night. So many other projects got in the way. So, I don't know what I'm doing yet. I'm new to Linux and all that jazz but I'm very happy with it. The PSU came with some heatsinks which I installed. I think next thing to get is a case. 

Excuse the mess

034o6HS.jpg

Just going to see what type of easy projects I can do for a simpleton like me. 

Edited by Mister Pink

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ashamed to say I bought the Pi2 or indeed the Pi3 years ago.  And it's still in the box.  I've just failed to be inspired to actually do anything productive with it.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LunaMax said:

I'm ashamed to say I bought the Pi2 or indeed the Pi3 years ago.  And it's still in the box.  I've just failed to be inspired to actually do anything productive with it.  

Yeah I had mine for months before I finally set it up. Not sure what I'll do it with it. I'm looking at this photo-sharing Twitter-bot. 

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/photo-tweeting-twitter-bot-raspberry-pi-nodejs/

• 2 weeks later...

Man oh man...I don't know how any of you have problems coming up with things to do with your pi boards.  The possibilities are endless.  Even just f*cking around is fun. 

I just changed my log on screen to ascii art of Donkey Kong.  Even that was fun.  Wait!  Do you folks have your pi board plugged into a display?  Don't do that.  Do that once...turn on SSH and then never plug it into a display.    IMO, all pi's should be headless.

My new project is a software/server based project.   Kind of sensitive to talk about here though.  ;)

The other side pi gig I'm gonna take on is MAME.  I have one arcade cabinet that needs new hardware and I figured it was a good time to try and switch from standard PCs to PIs.

E:

n1IYb5d.png

Edited by trip
  • Like 2

MBMP1oP.png

@Mister Pink Don't you do photography?

Here ya go...

Using A Raspberry Pi for That Perfect DSLR Shot

• Like 1

MBMP1oP.png

1 hour ago, trip said:

@Mister Pink Don't you do photography?

Here ya go...

Using A Raspberry Pi for That Perfect DSLR Shot

Nice, yes. That's pretty f*cking sweet. Probably more worthwhile for him as he mentions his camera doesn't have built in WiFi - as does my old/second camera. My current camera has built-in WiFi so, I can connect to it, pretty seamlessly and take advantage of controlling it from my phone.. Nevertheless, it's an incredible feat and I'm glad to see people Using the Pi for photography related things. I think you gave me an idea to try seek out what other photographers/filmmakers are using Pi for.