night shadows=>off

vehicle density=>50

view distance=>20

detail distance=>20

definition=>on

My computer:

Phenom II X6 (1090t) running at 3,8gHz

4Gb of DDR2

HD Radeon 6870 (1Gb GDDR5, asus factory overclocked edition)

Motherboard M3A78

For some strange reason the game is running in 32-bit on my 64-bit computer, why?

Your pc and settings are ok, so it should run well.

When you say lags, do you mean stutters? The cpu is fast enough to play without appreciable lag. Try using commandlines, such as memrestrict and reservedapp 0.

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=404147

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=445554

GTA 4 is a 32 bit application and will remain so in 64 bit windows. It is large address aware, so will use more ram in 64bit os.

It is highly recommended that you patch the game to the latest version (1.0.7.0) or preferably 1.0.4.0 since it's the most performance friendly; If your game is unpatched yet this is a must.

Btw, I had a similar rig last year (x4 955 @ 3.8, 6850, 4gb ram ddr3) and I remember being able to pull better frames at better settings with patch 1.0.4.0 so don't give up!

Ok, I just patched the game to 1.4 and I will try how it runs but something that is bothering me is that the game is running in 32-bit mode, in the processes it's GTAIV*32 and the game is installed in the X86(32-bit) directory. The odd thing is that it's written at the back of the game's box that GTA 4 is for 64-bit computers. What is wrong?

So I indeed experienced less lags with 1.0.4.0 but the menus where all black and blank and my save was lost so I guess i will have to reinstall the game because now it fails to update to 1.0.7.0 =(. I love this game and would really like to get it running well but it looks like something is wrong. 4Gb of ram are enough right?

You can't downgrade from patch 7 to 4, that'll screw up the game.

Reinstall it and then use patch 4 icon14.gif

Ok, I just patched the game to 1.4 and I will try how it runs but something that is bothering me is that the game is running in 32-bit mode, in the processes it's GTAIV*32 and the game is installed in the X86(32-bit) directory. The odd thing is that it's written at the back of the game's box that GTA 4 is for 64-bit computers. What is wrong?

I already said it once , GTA 4 IS A 32 BIT APPLICATION, NOT 64 BIT.

It installs in the x86 programs directory. It is "large_address_aware", which means it will use more ram in a 64 bit os. It says on the box "Enhanced for 64 bit". This is what it is referring to.

And yes, 4Gb of ram is enough.

Also, Turning Shadows OFF may help with performance, as that is a big performance killer...

Also, Experiment with the Commandlines-some of those help performance-wise as well...

your pc uses ddr3 not ddr2

You can't know that. Phenom II and AFAIK all AM2+/AM3 CPUs support DDR2 and DDR3 depending on mainboard. One can e.g. use CPU-Z to find out which memory is being used.

OP clearly stated that he has M3A78 motherboard, which has AM2/AM2+ socket, thus he has DDR2.

74cXSsx.png

I don't want to turn off shadows and I think that with the graphic card and CPU that I have I shouldn't have any problems running the game right? I just installed the game and patched it to 1.0.4.0 and will now try it.

Waw thank you really much guys, I reinstalled the game and installed the patch 1.0.4.0 and now i am able to run the game really well!!! =D with good graphics, I will keep you informed and ask you for something else if I encounter other problems. This community is really awesome smile.gif.

I am now able to run it at 1920x1080 with all the settings to high except the texture which is at medium and view distance and detail distance at almost 100 no laggs =D

Try lowering other settings but up the textures, for me it was always the most worthwhile setting.

Agreed, leave the sliders at 40/50, disable 'shadow density' since it's a real performance hog and you'll be able to crank the rest, and it'll look better too. (I don't even notice when shadow density is on, but I can really tell the diference between high and very high reflections/water).

Edited by Brainsick