The official "GTA V and its competitors" thread

Harwood Butch3r

Harwood Butch3r

Rather than a heap of threads with people comparing GTA V against a particular game I have made this thread for all that discussion to be kept in here as it's getting a bit irritating locking all of the threads.

While I'm willing to cut a bit of slack any serious offences in this thread will result in the offender being punished and the thread locked. I don't mind you guys discussing it, but please try to keep it civil.

Any queries regarding this thread please contact me. smile.gif

Pilotmonkey

To start with GTA is GTA. YOU SHOOT,KILL.,STEAL,ect. For example Minecraft is a globally popular game. It has MANY players. People Who want a peice of crap (IMO) that was made for 371 days after MW3 buy BO2. for people who want a quality game still in the process of being made for half a decade will buy GTA V.

Edited by Pilotmonkey

i am a girl on the internet

I can't really think of any major competitors for GTA (in the open-world genre, of course). In terms of hype and sales, I guess Halo and CoD are the biggest competitors, but I personally don't think that games like Watch Dogs and Sleeping Dogs will come close, regardless of how good either game is.

Capricornus
blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What a wonderful start to a topic with potential. sarcasm.gif

Anyway, I will be Old News Orenthal here and say that Watch Dogs is now a serious form of competition for GTA V. Of course being that we are one a GTA site, people will try to be cool and bash Watch Dogs because its not GTA. The game actually looks spectacular, even if it was only shown at E3.

caprisig.jpg

Wow.. What a thoughtful post. bored.gif

I just saw gameplay for Watch Dogs. It looks like a modern AC with no parkour.

More like Max Payne with free mode and technology. Saints Row is more like GTA, in my opinion. But neither can compete.

RedLightsBlueNights

I just saw gameplay for Watch Dogs. It looks like a modern AC with no parkour.

More like Max Payne with free mode and technology. Saints Row is more like GTA, in my opinion. But neither can compete.

There is parkour. It's the smoothest I've ever seen it in a game, even though it was basic.

9:38

Edited by Bluedonut1

Sandbox Season late 2012/ early 2013: Watch Dogs vs Sleeping Dogs vs GTAV!

Who wins? Frankly, the Dogs will have to work pretty hard to top R* at the genre they popularized. But maybe V will be too formulaic of the old games? Its gonna be a fun time soon.

This is probably the reason we are not getting any new GTA V info, Because the release date has been moved to avoid all the competition of the holiday season.

user posted image

Watch Dogs looks pretty good. I've always been a fan of Ubisoft, not as much as Rockstar however, but I think we have a interesting time ahead of us in terms of gaming, from all open world developers

In terms of which sandbox game I'm looking most forward to this year, its definitely AC III hands down. In terms of hype, AC 3 and Watch Dog are the way to go.

3 trailers, lots of info, and even 3 gameplay demos. Plus the game has actually appeared already on gameinformers front page, AND it has a release date. Is it wrong therefore to be more hyped for this game?

A lack of information destroys the hype, period. Even for GTA.

This is probably the reason we are not getting any new GTA V info, Because the release date has been moved to avoid all the competition of the holiday season.

It's the exact opposite actually, pretty much every game that was set for a late 2012 release moved to 2013 to avoid compettion with GTA V (eg, Tomb Raider, Bioshock: infintie, The Last of Us)

I can't really think of any major competitors for GTA (in the open-world genre, of course). In terms of hype and sales, I guess Halo and CoD are the biggest competitors, but I personally don't think that games like Watch Dogs and Sleeping Dogs will come close, regardless of how good either game is.

Okay. I can agree that Sleeping Dogs isn't much competition for GTA. But dude, Watch Dogs was out of this world. It's an entirely new IP. They've created outstanding graphics and gameplay and it's definitely set the bar, in my opinion, for all other open-world games. They have a lot to aspire to. However, one thing, we can't compare is whether the story-telling in Watch Dogs is as near as good as Rockstars. But we're yet to see.

Ubisoft have done what Rockstar have been trying to do for years and that is to create a living, breathing city which replicates our real world and to simply dismiss it like that isn't pragmatic.

Okay. I can agree that Sleeping Dogs isn't much competition for GTA. But dude, Watch Dogs was out of this world. It's an entirely new IP. They've created outstanding graphics and gameplay and it's definitely set the bar, in my opinion, for all other open-world games. They have a lot to aspire to. However, one thing, we can't compare is whether the story-telling in Watch Dogs is as near as good as Rockstars. But we're yet to see.

Ubisoft have done what Rockstar have been trying to do for years and that is to create a living, breathing city which replicates our real world and to simply dismiss it like that isn't pragmatic.

You do know that watch dogs was running on a very high-end PC at E3, right? there is no way in hell current consoles will have this graphics, smooth framerate, or that much NPCs on the screen, so you can kiss your "live, breathing city" goodbye already (unless you have a top notch gaming computer)

DemoniCreature

Every single videogame, every single way of entertainment is a GTA V competitor... So, there is no reason for this topic.

:lock:

Open World genre competitors...

Watch Dogs - it looks fantastic, but it has to look like that, because some say it's a next gen. game.

Sleeping Dogs - who doesn't want to play an open world game set in Hong Kong.

Assassin's Creed III - best Assassin's Creed I've seen, great job Ubisoft.

Saints Row 4 - not yet confirmed, but I think it's in the work.

Halo 4 - ???, it's Exclusive for XBox 360.

Money competitors...

Call Of Duty: Black Ops II - don't know what other game can beat V money-wise.

Q3/Q4 2012 games... maybe I forgot some.

Hitman: Absolution, Assassin's Creed III, Sleeping Dogs, Black Ops II, Medal Of Honor Warfighter, Need For Speed: Most Wanted...

Q1/Q2 2013 games... maybe I forgot some.

Crysis 3, Far Cry 3, Watch Dogs(TBA), God Of War: Ascension(PS3 Exclusive), BioShock: Infinite, The Last Of Us(TBA/PS3 Exclusive), Beyond: Two Souls(TBA/PS3 Exclusive)...

Edited by Simon_V

You do know that watch dogs was running on a very high-end PC at E3, right? there is no way in hell current consoles will have this graphics, smooth framerate, or that much NPCs on the screen, so you can kiss your "live, breathing city" goodbye already (unless you have a top notch gaming computer)

Yes, I do. But that doesn't take away any credit from the game. They gave us what we've been wanting.

I'm almost sure they're looking to have Watch Dogs appear on next gen consoles, so, we'll see what the future holds.

Edit: Luckily for me, I've got an awesome gaming computer. :-)

dansgas1000

IMHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHO i think most new games are better than GTAV graphics i cant notice a massive diffenece between GTAIV even at max settings and gta v trailer 1.

Capricornus

Every single videogame, every single way of entertainment is a GTA V competitor... So, there is no reason for this topic.

:lock:

I doubt a Mod will lock his own thread, unless the thread just has rules that people have to follow. Research will do you some good before trying to be a smartass in the future.

As for Sleeping Dogs, the game looks great and I am going to get it, but I don't think it will be too much of a competitor for GTA V.

caprisig.jpg

GroveStRoamer

all the other games look like they suck. Who cares about asassin's creed? Its just a dumb guy running around in a hooded robe slashing people, Big deal.......

Watch dogs looks dumb, reading people's minds and altering street lights Looks fun, NOT

G1T

RomansMoobs

What a wonderful start to a topic with potential. sarcasm.gif

Anyway, I will be Old News Orenthal here and say that Watch Dogs is now a serious form of competition for GTA V. Of course being that we are one a GTA site, people will try to be cool and bash Watch Dogs because its not GTA. The game actually looks spectacular, even if it was only shown at E3.

I'll disagree here. I don't think it looks like anything new or innovative. If it sells more than Max Payne 3 I'll sh*t my pants.

Minecraft will be a major competitor against GTA V. For me, anyway. I just cannot leave that game alone.

RedLightsBlueNights
all the other games look like they suck. Who cares about asassin's creed? Its just a dumb guy running around in a hooded robe slashing people, Big deal.......

Watch dogs looks dumb, reading people's minds and altering street lights Looks fun, NOT

GTA is just about a dumb guy doing jobs for other people not caring about his own agenda. Jacking stupid people's car and parody-ing the worst things about America. Big deal.

I deem this as the most serious post in this thread. Congratulations.

Snake Without a Tongue

Am I the only one who thought Watch Dogs looked linear as hell? I hate these game previews that make crap look spontaneous when in reality it's scripted out the yin-yang.

ryanhunter_rfc

@Snake Nope. There are going to be a lot disappointed people when this game comes out, i think.

^^^^

Truly, it's so sad seeing people praise the parkour and ped details. The Watch Dog protag did nothing even remotely spontaneous in the video. The demonstrator didn't brazenly open fire in that club or do anything that would suggest this is going to be a true sandbox game. Looks like another L.A. Noire to me... a game with a large, elaborate world and no freedom outside the missions. Hopefully, Ubisoft will prove us skeptics wrong.

I see a trait many GTA fans holds, and that is, they criticise any game which is remotely considered "competition". Have the gall to show gratitude where due. Don't try and pick holes at everything. You'll find that there are things greater than what you already know. Just learn to give it a chance.