Have R* fallen for their own hype?

JayLazy

Before I get bashed by the fanboys, I would just like to say up until quit recently I was also a fanboy of R*. I was playing the original GTA and the age of 3, thoroughly enjoyed GTA III and Vice City, and I've never invested as much time in any other game than I have GTA San Andreas(I've completed it in excess of 50 times).

However, what a load of sh*t GTA IV was; but because it was GTA everybody loved it, including myself. Now, however, I can look back at GTA IV with my non-fanboy perspective and see it for the dross that it actually is. The only enjoyment I actually got out of that game was when the game behaved how it wasn't meant to and glitches occurred when playing with others, but even then it was more a case of laughing at my friends.

Then came Red dead redemption, I did like this game significantly more than GTA IV, but again, I would't say it was 'fun'. The enjoyment came more from the fact that it was novel and 'cool'. Once I completed the campaign I played some multi player and prestiged once, and that was that. However after not playing the game for over a year, I tried the story mode again yesterday, but without that 'novel' aspect it seemed just as dull and boring and GTA IV.

L.A Noire. Sounded great. Tilting someone's head side to side to look for clues? Not so much.

Then came Max Payne 3. I haven't played this game but I've heard mixed reviews. Apparently it doesn't abide to the series routes which is obnoxious of R*. Also, similarly to RDR the marketing for it was absolute bollocks. 'The game combines the precision of a first person shooter, with the connection to the character you get from 3rd person shooter games'. No, there's a dot on the screen, and when you pull the trigger that's where the bullets go. Feel free to call me out on this, but I'm guessing this is the case with all games.

R* seem to think they have become these gaming masterminds who are the pinnacle of their profession. Instead of making games like GTA SA where things are fun(you could almost imagine they actually enjoyed making it) they seem more involved with making what you could call 'technical' marvels. But that isn't what R* are about, they aren't good at making realistic AI or Crysis worthy graphics; they were good at making wacky games that were fun, a good mixture but at neither extreme of GTA IV and saints row 3.

I suppose I'm writing this in spite as I'm angered by the smugness of R*, yes. GTA V will sell regardless of their marketing strategy, but instead of giving their fans what they want, it seems they're thinking 'Our games are so good we'll release pointless statements telling you to wait for us to unveil this masterpiece we're working on'. The seem more interested in appeasing the reviewers than the people who will be investing in their games.

The successes of GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas are greater than their more serious titles of RDR, LA Noire and Max Payne 3.

Give it a rest R*.

Edited by JayLazy

Your moaning because they haven't released any information, get over yourself....

I'm self centred because I moaned?

You're moaning because I'm moaning, get over yourself....

For me R* stand taller than eny other gaming company , and i fully suport there work on other side-projects . with creating only GTA games they would fall in recession and changing approach to GTA series is only due to fact that R* is evolving .

Look what we got here? another kid is mad at R* for not releasing any GTA V info, please stop lieing about how you "hated" IV/RDR/LA.Noire, the fact that you already played the games multilple times proves that those game are pure amazing, i don't give a f*ck about your idea of mindless "fun" (like the bullsh*t we see in saints row) if you think all recent R* titles have been boring then why do you keep buying them? you bought GTA IV but you found it boring, then bought RDR and you found it again to be "boring" why the f*ck did you buy LA.Noire then? and if you didn't like R* games this gen, you wouldn't have been on this forum

Fun Fact: OP will be first in the line to buy GTA V, despite his claims that recent R* titles were all "boring"

Triple Vacuum Seal
Before I get bashed by the fanboys, I would just like to say up until quit recently I was also a fanboy of R*. I was playing the original GTA and the age of 3, thoroughly enjoyed GTA III and Vice City, and I've never invested as much time in any other game than I have GTA San Andreas(I've completed it in excess of 50 times).

However, what a load of sh*t GTA IV was; but because it was GTA everybody loved it, including myself. Now, however, I can look back at GTA IV with my non-fanboy perspective and see it for the dross that it actually is. The only enjoyment I actually got out of that game was when the game behaved how it wasn't meant to and glitches occurred when playing with others, but even then it was more a case of laughing at my friends.

Then came Red dead redemption, I did like this game significantly more than GTA IV, but again, I would't say it was 'fun'. The enjoyment came more from the fact that it was novel and 'cool'. Once I completed the campaign I played some multi player and prestiged once, and that was that. However after not playing the game for over a year, I tried the story mode again yesterday, but without that 'novel' aspect it seemed just as dull and boring and GTA IV.

L.A Noire. Sounded great. Tilting someone's head side to side to look for clues? Not so much.

Then came Max Payne 3. I haven't played this game but I've heard mixed reviews. Apparently it doesn't abide to the series routes which is obnoxious of R*. Also, similarly to RDR the marketing for it was absolute bollocks. 'The game combines the precision of a first person shooter, with the connection to the character you get from 3rd person shooter games'. No, there's a dot on the screen, and when you pull the trigger that's where the bullets go. Feel free to call me out on this, but I'm guessing this is the case with all games.

R* seem to think they have become these gaming masterminds who are the pinnacle of their profession. Instead of making games like GTA SA where things are fun(you could almost imagine they actually enjoyed making it) they seem more involved with making what you could call 'technical' marvels. But that isn't what R* are about, they aren't good at making realistic AI or Crysis worthy graphics; they were good at making wacky games that were fun, a good mixture but at neither extreme of GTA IV and saints row 3.

I suppose I'm writing this in spite as I'm angered by the smugness of R*, yes. GTA V will sell regardless of their marketing strategy, but instead of giving their fans what they want, it seems they're thinking 'Our games are so good we'll release pointless statements telling you to wait for us to unveil this masterpiece we're working on'.

The successes of GTA III, Vice City and San Andreas are greater than their more serious titles of RDR, LA Noire and Max Payne 3.

Give it a rest R*.

^So I guess this is what happens to the fanbase, when we don't get a 'fun' GTA. sarcasm.gif

This argument is ages old and is being discussed on a number of threads already. Basically R* just needs balance.

Like the OP, I fear that the developers of GTA have gotten complacent. However, it doesn't take amazing brilliance to come up with a story for GTA and include all of the features people want. When R* tries to be "bold" as stated in their release statement, that's what sets off red flags to me. Just make a good story with substance and include the features and you have a hit. It's not like GTA has any real quality competition.

For me R* stand taller than eny other gaming company , and i fully suport there work on other side-projects . with creating only GTA games they would fall in recession and changing approach to GTA series is only due to fact that R* is evolving .

But why change the approach to something so successful when there are other IP's that address the more serious approach, there's no diversity betwen their games when doing this.

Your moaning because they haven't released any information, get over yourself....

Now you moaning about me moaning because apparently I'm moaning. It called being Optimistic.

Look what we got here? another kid is mad at R* for not releasing any GTA V info, please stop lieing about how you "hated" IV/RDR/LA.Noire, the fact that you already played the games multilple times proves that those game are pure amazing, i don't give a f*ck about your idea of mindless "fun" (like the bullsh*t we see in saints row) if you think all recent R* titles have been boring then why do you keep buying them? you bought GTA IV but you found it boring, then bought RDR and you found it again to be "boring" why the f*ck did you buy LA.Noire then? and if you didn't like R* games this gen, you wouldn't have been on this forum

Fun Fact: OP will be first in the line to buy GTA V, despite his claims that recent R* titles were all "boring"

U mad sis?

I'm not mad for them not releasing info, that wasn't the aim of this topic; but obviously you didn't bother to take note of that.

' please stop lieing about how you "hated" IV/RDR/LA.Noire, the fact that you already played the games multilple times proves that those game are pure amazing' - I never said I hated them, I just said I didn't enjoy them. I haven't played any of them multiple times. +1 for reading ability.

'i don't give a f*ck about your idea of mindless "fun" (like the bullsh*t we see in saints row)' - This is why the old GTA's were successful. Also if you didn't have anger management issues you'd realise that I said I like where GTA SA was, not too wacky like SR3 but non too serious like GTA IV.

'f you think all recent R* titles have been boring then why do you keep buying them? you bought GTA IV but you found it boring, then bought RDR and you found it again to be "boring" why the f*ck did you buy LA.Noire then?' - I bought GTA IV. My uncle bought RDR for me and I borrowed LA Noire. No harm in trying. +1 for assumption making.

' and if you didn't like R* games this gen, you wouldn't have been on this forum' - I am excited for GTA v despite their dismal efforts from their last few games; based on the success and my enjoyment of GTA 3, GTA VC and GTA SA. But I am no longer a R* fan boy and don't overlook the faults in their games like I used to.

'Fun Fact: OP will be first in the line to buy GTA V, despite his claims that recent R* titles were all "boring"' - I will be buying it on release date. You got me good there.

Now you moaning about me moaning because apparently I'm moaning. It called being Optimistic.

You can be optimistic all you want, but telling someone to get over themselves because you tried to garnish emotion from what I typed isn't optimism.

It's called being a c#nt.

Blazevski12

U mad sis?

I'm not mad for them not releasing info, that wasn't the aim of this topic; but obviously you didn't bother to take note of that.

' please stop lieing about how you "hated" IV/RDR/LA.Noire, the fact that you already played the games multilple times proves that those game are pure amazing' - I never said I hated them, I just said I didn't enjoy them. I haven't played any of them multiple times. +1 for reading ability.

'i don't give a f*ck about your idea of mindless "fun" (like the bullsh*t we see in saints row)' - This is why the old GTA's were successful. Also if you didn't have anger management issues you'd realise that I said I like where GTA SA was, not too wacky like SR3 but non too serious like GTA IV.

'f you think all recent R* titles have been boring then why do you keep buying them? you bought GTA IV but you found it boring, then bought RDR and you found it again to be "boring" why the f*ck did you buy LA.Noire then?' - I bought GTA IV. My uncle bought RDR for me and I borrowed LA Noire. No harm in trying. +1 for assumption making.

' and if you didn't like R* games this gen, you wouldn't have been on this forum' - I am excited for GTA v despite their dismal efforts from their last few games; based on the success and my enjoyment of GTA 3, GTA VC and GTA SA. But I am no longer a R* fan boy and don't overlook the faults in their games like I used to.

'Fun Fact: OP will be first in the line to buy GTA V, despite his claims that recent R* titles were all "boring"' - I will be buying it on release date. You got me good there.

Such a stupid post icon14.gificon14.gif .

U mad sis?

Such a stupid post icon14.gificon14.gif .

Thanks for that, I'll take your opinion into consideration and do absolutely nothing with it.

Now, who's post was more stupid; think about it. Mine, which involved me defending myself, or yours, getting involved in something that has nothing to do with you and in which you can provide no influence?

dirtycopVCPD

I can't take seriously the opinion of anyone who says that RDR wasn't a fun game. Call me a fanboy if you must but it was one of the best games of this generation by far.

Triple Vacuum Seal

I must admit, GTAIV had that movie feeling at the end of the story where you knew that once the story was over, the game was over (other than putting up with the bitch ass kids on multiplayer every once in a while).

I'm not a multiplayer fan much either. I don't expect R* to drag down the series to cater to only SP fans; but am I the only one who thinks it's retarded to wait several years for a GTA, beat the SP in no more than a couple of weeks, then wait for another a 5 years to do it again?

Sorry to end on a tangent but that's why I'm always talking about empire building and endless criminal mini-missions. monocle.gif

I can't take seriously the opinion of anyone who says that RDR wasn't a fun game. Call me a fanboy if you must but it was one of the best games of this generation by far.

I was abit harsh on RDR I suppose, I did enjoy my time with it. But even still, a large part of my enjoyment was down to its novelty. The more serious tone RDR has suited it, but it's not right for a GTA game.

I must admit, GTAIV had that movie feeling at the end of the story where you knew that once the story was over, the game was over (other than putting up with the bitch ass kids on multiplayer every once in a while).

I'm not a multiplayer fan much either. I don't expect R* to drag down the series to cater to only SP fans; but am I the only one who thinks it's retarded to wait several years for a GTA, beat the SP in no more than a couple of weeks, then wait for another a 5 years to do it again?

Sorry to end on a tangent but that's why I'm always talking about empire building and endless criminal mini-missions. monocle.gif

Amen.

I'll go you one better- I feel the same way about people who say GTA IV wasn't fun.

I'm not a multiplayer fan much either.  I don't expect R* to drag down the series to cater to only SP fans; but am I the only one who thinks it's retarded to wait several years for a GTA, beat the SP in no more than a couple of weeks, then wait for another a 5 years to do it again?

I agree with you. Once GTA IV was complete, that was it. I'm not going to go around shooting pigeons, especially when there is no actual reward at the end. In SA it was worth spraying all the gangs tags because your gang members got an upgrade, there was incentive. They fell for the old 'less is more', and it just didn't work.

And by going back to roots, GTA V wouldn't have to be over the top fun like Saints row 3 is. All the side missions and activities you could do had there place and didn't feel out of the realm of the game. Ambulance, taxi, police, fire engine, freight, gang wars and RPG elements like gym, swimming, weapon and driving stats. In a GTA game I can't help but feel more is more as long as it's believable.

Triple Vacuum Seal

I'm not a multiplayer fan much either.  I don't expect R* to drag down the series to cater to only SP fans; but am I the only one who thinks it's retarded to wait several years for a GTA, beat the SP in no more than a couple of weeks, then wait for another a 5 years to do it again?

I agree with you. Once GTA IV was complete, that was it. I'm not going to go around shooting pigeons, especially when there is no actual reward at the end. In SA it was worth spraying all the gangs tags because your gang members got an upgrade, there was incentive. They fell for the old 'less is more', and it just didn't work.

And by going back to roots, GTA V wouldn't have to be over the top fun like Saints row 3 is. All the side missions and activities you could do had there place and didn't feel out of the realm of the game. Ambulance, taxi, police, fire engine, freight, gang wars and RPG elements like gym, swimming, weapon and driving stats. In a GTA game I can't help but feel more is more as long as it's believable.

Exactly.

It's not hard either to add to the incentive to play after the story. There are so many things that R* could've done to reward 100% completion.

I'll go you one better- I feel the same way about people who say GTA IV wasn't fun.

Both GTA IV and RDR are amazing, difnitley two of the best games this gen

OP, maybe the best thing for you to do is to no longer play games from Rockstar? You haven't liked the last few, and you seem to be getting angry over some view you imagine Rockstar holds, so what's the point of you holding on? There are plenty of other games out there.

Also, similarly to RDR the marketing for it was absolute bollocks.  'The game combines the precision of a first person shooter, with the connection to the character you get from 3rd person shooter games'. No, there's a dot on the screen, and when you pull the trigger that's where the bullets go. Feel free to call me out on this, but I'm guessing this is the case with all games.

It's about time someone called out the Emporer's New Clothes on this "third person view" BS.

I agree, a target dot / reticle is the same regardless of whether one is looking over the protag's shoulder or directly in first person.

Ironically and sadly, I think what Rockstar marketing was really trying to say with that statement is that, "we are making this game almost as good as Unreal Tournament, a pure twitch game FPS."

That's all I see in MP3 multiplayer, a pure twitch shooter. Great improvement on the state of the art, Rockstar, now you have brought mindless third person shooters to the world.

GourangaMaster
OP, maybe the best thing for you to do is to no longer play games from Rockstar? You haven't liked the last few, and you seem to be getting angry over some view you imagine Rockstar holds, so what's the point of you holding on? There are plenty of other games out there.

QFT. Rockstar are evolving and growing and I welcome it.

Maybe you are getting older and gta seems less fun?

San Andreas was fun yes, I was like 13 or so when it came out . But then there was IV and it still was nice experience. GTA isnt new and innovative anymore , so maybe thats why peoles make that kind of topics. But give it a rest, give r* a time to prove that they still got it.

mooonlights

they haven't released any info because of MP3, and because it was delayed the info has taken longer to come out...how many times does this need to be said. Info is coming very soon.

LewisMiller

Can somebody explain to me what a fanboy is? Surely if you like something then you're a fan?

StateofMind15

Health regen makes the game boring.

@saintsrow I agree with MP3 being a twitch game. I really don't see how MP3 is so different and unique. It's story is repetitive and it's multiplayer is the same as Uncharted and call of duty

Edited by gpcguy1

I'd say a fanboy is a fan of something to the point of being obnoxious about it. So, for example, if you'd be a Rockstar fanboy, you'd take whatever they give and would be unable to find any flaws in their games and would defend them no matter what.

I suppose I'm writing this in spite as I'm angered by the smugness of R*, yes. GTA V will sell regardless of their marketing strategy, but instead of giving their fans what they want, it seems they're thinking 'Our games are so good we'll release pointless statements telling you to wait for us to unveil this masterpiece we're working on'. The seem more interested in appeasing the reviewers than the people who will be investing in their games.

Give it a rest R*.

I'm sorry

but.. I

.user posted image