"Living, Breathing City"

hamtah

user posted image

I have made this thread to solely discuss GTA V being the "living, breathing city" GTA IV was suppose to be...

user posted image

Back before the release of GTA IV, Rockstar said that GTA IV would be a "living, breathing city". But what does that mean? It meant that when walking through Liberty City, you will feel the city come to life as if it were a real city. But was it what Rockstar said it would be? No. GTA IV lacked many of the aspects of a real city, and most of it felt linear and quite repetitive. This was very immersion-breaking but in the end we got used to it. Today it still bothers me that Rockstar was not able to achieve what could have been possible. I was discuss what

Los Santos should be to make it feel as a real city.

user posted image

user posted image

What GTA IV lacked with Liberty City is what New York had. When you walk through the streets of New York, you see people doing various of things, and yes more than 50% are just walking, but the other 50% is people doing everything else and walking.

Here is a list of what people are doing when JUST on the streets:

-Talking on cellphones

-Eating

-Having Conversations

-Getting in and out of cars

-Waiting for bus

-Going in an out of stores

-Begging

-Waiting for stop lights

-Calling taxis

-Playing handheld games

-On tablets and laptops

-Chilling on the benches

-Watching Street performances

-Drinking coffee

user posted image

Some of these made it to GTA IV but felt robotic. People would be on cellphones, have the same conversions, or not have conversions at all, get hamburgers out of now where, and do the same again. The feel of a real city was not there, but it was definitely attempted.

I know many of you think Rockstar were just being introduced with the Rage Engine and to the new consoles, and yes, that it VERY true. Rockstar games today like Red Dead Redemption where people will be go in and out of bars, gambling, dragging prisoners, and other things.

user posted image

L.A Noire also had people doing many things such as observing stores, walking to crime scenes, or going in and out of restaurants and many other things which made the city feel alive.

user posted image

All of this yet I still don't feel those games gave me that real feeling. Each game got better with how the game felt but it isn't where it should have been.

user posted image

Now many will argue that Rockstar has done it best to show the feeling of a really city but there are other games out there. I would say Skyrim as a starter, but Skyrim is another genre, that I don't want to get into.

A game which we recently say gameplay of could be very inspiring in terms of a breathing city.

Watch_Dogs

user posted image

Watch Dogs showed us what GTA could be like in the near future, or even now. Watch Dogs was introduced E3 2012 by Ubisoft, and it was there to show us how a real city can feel. Just look at the gameplay video and tell me for one second you do not feel a immersed into the city:

user posted image

Let this gameplay be scripted or real-time, it was amazing and I felt as if I was in Chicago. Now comparing GTA and Watch Dogs may not sound right, but it surely looks right. Both are trying to achieve an open world aspect, but of course, GTA is more driven towards open world and as it seems, Watch Dogs is more of an aim towards the story. So one might be linear while the other is all open. Even if that is the case, it would be truly amazing to walk through Los Santos in GTA V like the guy walked through Chicago in Watch Dogs.

In The End...

It think that Rockstar will be able to give us something 10x better than GTA IV and maybe 2x better than their previous titles. Just judging by the trailer, Rockstar seems to be at the right track, but getting to where Watch Dogs is what can be a linear game may be a challenge, but it can certainly be achieved.

Lets not forget that GTA is called "Grand Theft Auto" for a reason and not "Grand Theft Pedestrian", so we can't expect Rockstar to just focus on how pedestrians react.

Let me know your thoughts!

Edited by hamtah

IM_YOUR_GOD

Real breathing city? The trailer was to vague to conclude this.

user posted image

RESIZE YOUR IMAGES THEY'RE HUGE

And it's just a thread, no need for fancy titles.

EnviousBird

Current gen consoles can never emulate the feeling of a real living and breathing city.

BTW, the watchdogs demo was played on a PC.

A lot of work is always put into the environment. Rockstar have set this as one of their main goals when creating any GTA game. So expect alot of improvements with GTA V. I think GTA IV did a great job considering it was their first GTA on next-gen platforms. The pedestrians performed a number of different actions - although repetative and not very detailed it still added to the immersion. Then with RDR this improved dramatically with the updated RAGE engine and the random events you could witness definately helped create a realistic living world.

I think GTA V will have some incredible environmental details that will help make the player more involved with the life of the city, instead of feeling like an outsider with the world just passing by without any kind of interaction. Creating a living, breathing city is a huge priority for any GTA game, and according to Rockstar, they won't stop till they get it right.

Untill we've simulated the world outside, we're not going to stop.

A Potato Too Far

Theres one simple thing that GTA has seemed to forget that could add to the element of a living, breathing city;

Simply the amount of people.

Times square was empty in GTA 4.

A lot of work is always put into the environment. Rockstar have set this as one of their main goals when creating any GTA game. So expect alot of improvements with GTA V. I think GTA IV did a great job considering it was their first GTA on next-gen platforms. The pedestrians performed a number of different actions - although repetative and not very detailed it still added to the immersion. Then with RDR this improved dramatically with the updated RAGE engine and the random events you could witness definately helped create a realistic living world.

I think GTA V will have some incredible environmental details that will help make the player more involved with the life of the city, instead of feeling like an outsider with the world just passing by without any kind of interaction. Creating a living, breathing city is a huge priority for any GTA game, and according to Rockstar, they won't stop till they get it right.

We're not stopping untill we've simulated the world outside.

I completely agree that GTA IV was just a start and that Red Dead Redemption was completely revamped of what GTA IV could ave been.

IM_YOUR_GOD

Real Breathing Virtual City!!!???

sh*t the day that happens the world'll stop spinning And Michael J. Fox'll come to a stand still..

user posted image

This is one of the things that are limited because of the capabilities of the current console.

Theres one simple thing that GTA has seemed to forget that could add to the element of a living, breathing city;

It was ok on PC, maybe you played on consoles, but time square on PC version of GTAIV was ''alive'' IMO.

user posted image

This is one of the things that are limited because of the capabilities of the current console.

Limited hardware always is in the equation for consoles nowadays, but that doesn't mean that R* can't achieve it.

I want to know what Ubisoft will do with Watch Dogs on the consoles because yes it was shown on PC with all those people, so

imagine what will happen with the consoles. If Ubisoft could achieve something close to what they showed on the PC, then think

about how it will look and feel on the consoles. The task isn't beyond possible, so it is certainly achievable, even by R*.

RedLightsBlueNights

It was ok on PC, maybe you played on consoles, but time square on PC version of GTAIV was ''alive'' IMO.

I used mods. Just to try and get 200+ NPC in one small area. It didn't work out.

I agree - Times Square in GTA IV felt quite empty.

I also downloaded a mod for PC a while ago which increased the amount of pedestrians, traffic etc... and it felt so much more 'lively'.

I hope GTA V will have a more closer to real life amount of people (I know it probably won't due to hardware limitations).

Bottom line - it needs way more people on the streets walking around!

I had a good laugh when I went back and read a GTAIII preview and saw Sam Houser saying III has "a living breathing city."

Theyve been saying this bollocks for over ten years. I doubt itll be any different in GTA5.

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

I had a good laugh when I went back and read a GTAIII preview and saw Sam Houser saying III has "a living breathing city."

Theyve been saying this bollocks for over ten years. I doubt itll be any different in GTA5.

At that time having cars and people moving around with high buildings and everything was the best living and breathing city you could get.

At that time having cars and people moving around with high buildings and everything was the best living and breathing city you could get.

At that time, it probably was the living, breathing city people wanted. Today we have different expectations for GTA, but sadly these very expectations exceed current capability of consoles.

At that time, it probably was the living, breathing city people wanted. Today we have different expectations for GTA, but sadly these very expectations exceed current capability of consoles.

I agree, infact I feel like the III era liberty city is more deserving of the living breathing distinction. That place was actually dangerous and had carjackers and thieves unlike GTA4 Liberty City which was basically Disneyland.

GET OVER 1 BILLION IN GTA ONLINE WITH THIS GLITCH

Join the best of the best. Join the Republic of Zee.http://socialclub.rockstargames.com/member/zeegtaforums

Add me on Xbox: ZeeGTAForums and PS3: mtkgta420

The Continuing Adventures of Zeehttp://www.youtube.com/ZeeGTAForums

http://www.twitch.tv/zeegtaf

Deji is a coward.

OtherSurvivor

I agree, infact I feel like the III era liberty city is more deserving of the living breathing distinction. That place was actually dangerous and had carjackers and thieves unlike GTA4 Liberty City which was basically Disneyland.

Do you really think that real life New York has as many carjackers as GTA III did? Are you agoraphobic by any chance?

Having someone randomly run up and steal your car every 5 minutes was frustrating and unrealistic. That's why it was removed.

Yeah i agree, GTA4 didnt live up to expectations with the city feeling. However there were some areas of the city that were very crowded and did feel alive, but then when you go to time square it's literally empty. Also during the night there would be tons of people and areas that should be empty and dangerous. It was like opposites in GTA4 with the crowded areas of midtown being deserted and the quieter areas like the parks being crowded.

Watch Dogs didn't really feel that breathing to me. Was just okay. GTA IV has done as much good of a job.

Apollo - I actually thought watch dogs was someones mangled interpretation of 'Sleeping dogs' ; until I watched the trailer.

nervous.gif

Quite honestly the most impressive 'game' I have EVER seen in my 28 years. I say game in inverted commas as this is what I have been waiting for , for some time. The fusion of real life , movie type direction / set pieces and volume of peds is really getting there. I would be very surprised , VERY surprised if the current gen of consoles can pull it off. Strange, but the thing that really got me was the waiter with the barcode type mask on his head in the art club - something about that scene kinda threw me in a 'look-how-far-we've-come' way. The attention to detail , snippets of conversations overheard and the general 'interconnectedness' vibe thats going on really hits home and is very 'now' given the way the world is in 2012.

Sorry for the gushing praise but really bowled over with the trailer and is a good sign for gaming as a whole .

Living breathing city ?....well watch dogs did it for me tounge.gif

GTAV is , as many have stated, is a different type of game with a long pedigree. Its certainly looking better than IV, wind effects - animals - heat haze ...its all looking good - GTA on the PS4 - holy **** ! we have a lot to look forward too.

Edited by SCLASS

Watch Dogs didn't really feel that breathing to me. Was just okay. GTA IV has done as much good of a job.

Watch Dogs was a scripted f*ck in that gameplay. True Crime Hong Kong was really cool in the first gameplay then they changed the title in Sleeping Dogs and put some sh*tty tricks in the game like stealing cars while moving etc.

In my opinion GTA IV's Liberty City is the most realistic city created yet.

A real life city can be thought of in the same way you'd think of a machine. Trash management, venting systems, etc. There's pipes and water flow that keep the city going, power grids, a mesh of cultures. Parties in the night, a daily rat race to work in the morning. You should be able to follow a random pedestrian as they go about their normal daily activities, which should eventually lead them back to their front door.

Billy Benedict

You know what zee thats true sh*t. Im torn because that was insanly annoying, vut that may be because or the restrictive controls. If gta 4 had bohan be as crazy as portland it would have been ok because current rockstar games feel good control wise.

Imagine eating at burger shot and having your car jacked and having to call roman or chase that asshole down.

Watch Dogs was a scripted f*ck in that gameplay. True Crime Hong Kong was really cool in the first gameplay then they changed the title in Sleeping Dogs and put some sh*tty tricks in the game like stealing cars while moving etc.

In my opinion GTA IV's Liberty City is the most realistic city created yet.

This.

Don't get your hopes up on Watch Dogs. I can say with certainty that no matter how much times you'll replay Watch Dogs, the peds will always feel very scripted and same.