man cured of aids

HOLDMYBALLSACK

Was just about to post this. 5 minutes late!

I think this is revolutionary and great. Let's hope we can cure aids for good heh?!

That's awesome. Now we must clone the peaches out of HIV-resistant marrow.

izx6.jpg

Why, may I ask, do we not fund stem cell research more here in the US? Please explain why for Christ's sake when we can f*cking cure AIDs with it.

Why, may I ask, do we not fund stem cell research more here in the US? Please explain why for Christ's sake when we can f*cking cure AIDs with it.

Because that would make way too much sense.

HOLDMYBALLSACK

becuase then drug companies lose trillions treating people with cocktails of expensive drugs lifelong

G1T

becuase then drug companies lose trillions treating people with cocktails of expensive drugs lifelong

That's definitely part of the reason... they'd rather have you pay them small amounts for the rest of your life so the symptoms can be mitigated.

That is amazing!

Science has made it very far last and current century!

Don't even get me started on that one. The arguments against stem cell research are beyond asinine. Yet another example of religion holding back society, I guess.

*Puts on best Alabama accent possible*

BECUZ DE BABIEZ IZ PRECIOUZ, DONT YU KNOW DAt BOY, DEM BABIES IS GIFTS FROM GAWD N GAWD DONT LYKE YU DEFILIN DEM GIFTS FER YER LIBERAL SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS, YA HEAR BOY

That doesn't really work in practice. It slows things down a little, certainly, but it never comes even close to completely stalling progress, be it medical or technological. There's always that one guy who's willing to back-stab everyone else in the industry by releasing something that will make competitor product obsolete, and make a killing on being the first guy to sell the new thing. Some even do it out of fear that somebody will beat them to the punch. It's really one of these cases where Prisoner's Dilemma works in our advantage. As profitable as selling anti-retrovirals is, trust me, every pharma company out there is working hard on coming up with a cure. Once they have it, somebody will drop it on the market.

As far as actual success of this treatment, this is very good news indeed. It's not a complete cure, since you need the right donor. But it's half of the cure, and we almost have the other half. We can go about it several different ways. We can find an acceptable donor and modify his cells to be universal donor cells. Not easy, but far from impossible. We can develop a virus that goes in and adds the resistance gene to the marrow. That tends to be costly, since viral gene therapy has to be very specialized. What I'm thinking will be the most likely solution is taking patient's own marrow, and modifying its genetic sequence to have resistance you are looking for. Now that we know that donor marrow works to stop the virus, (which makes sense, but was never a guarantee by any measure,) all we need to know is the location of the resistance gene, and we practically have the tech to do the rest.

At any rate, this is going to be pretty fast now. Give it a decade or two. Unfortunately, a lot of people will still die from AIDS before this is perfected, and probably quite a few even after that, but at least now you can live in a little bit less fear. If you get infected now, you can survive long enough on anti-retrovirals to see the cure developed.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

When I saw the tread title it wasn't going to be anywhere near as black and white but nope a man was cured of aids. This is a historical event in medicine, its not mass marketable yet but its not far off.

user posted image

This is great news. Hopefully the stockpile of this gene gets bigger the more donors we find. Now we are finally making progress at eradicating such a big disease.

AlexGTAGamer

Wonderful news indeed. Today curing HIV, tomorrow possibly curing Cancer or Alzheimer's disease. Here's hoping.

You see? People actually support medical breakthroughs like this. People support science and the betterment of humanity that emerges from its continued patronage.

I hope you remember how good you feel about this the next time you hear about a scientifically created subspecies like the Worm-Sheep.

Isn't it time we stopped all those trite moral objections about 'playing God'? It seems we're doing a much better job than Him anyway.

So, remember this. Remember this the next time you feel like badmouthing humanity and saying that we're a disaster for the entire planet.

So, remember this. Remember this the next time you feel like badmouthing humanity and saying that we're a disaster for the entire planet.

Oh, I'm only saying it because we don't do enough stuff like this.

Wonderful news indeed. Today curing HIV, tomorrow possibly curing Cancer or Alzheimer's disease. Here's hoping.

There is not really such a thing as "cure for cancer". Cancer is a very broad term. Different cancers will need completely different treatments, and there will always be something new and different.

That said, some are more frequent and dangerous than others, and we'd obviously want a handle on these, and that's within reach.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

IM_YOUR_GOD

Playing God?

Yall believe that BS?

We can split atoms, experiment on the condition of the big bang, travel the heavens, kill for treason but cant study medical benefits of stem cells and marijuana in America.

user posted image

Los Santos Pedestrian

Finally, we can slow down the 5 billion people from having birth in Africa every year.

IM_YOUR_GOD
Finally, we can slow down the 5 billion people from having birth in Africa every year.

Speak on something you know.

The reason they have such a large number is because must of the kids don't even make it towards indolences and they are also used to help support their local family business.

Parents do better.

user posted image

Spaghetti Cat

yeah yeah, inject all your cash into your veins, it's been known for years...

Was...just...about...to...post...gah!

Anyways Magic is pretty happy:

user posted image

No Image Available

na89340qv0n34b09q340

I'm not for genocide or anything, but wouldn't a cure for AIDS create a larger population in Africa. Not that's it'll be distributed very easily.

I'm not for genocide or anything, but wouldn't a cure for AIDS create a larger population in Africa. Not that's it'll be distributed very easily.

The thing is, they'll most likely be price out of the market. Do you really think a cure for AID's will be made easily available for Africans on less than $2.00 a day?

Plus this doesn't mean AID's can't be contracted.

IM_YOUR_GOD

How does the lack of food and an uncorrupt government get confused with AIDS? Africa as a continent has a lot of issues, especially when it comes to growing food. Just look at the continent. Most of its land is either too wet or too dry.

user posted image

2 reasons.

1.) religious people.

they think stem cells can only come from unborn human fetuses (false).

they think unborn fetuses count as sacred human life (false).

2.) pharmaceutical companies monopoly on drugs.

there's more money in keeping people sick/barely alive than in curing them.

once you cure them, you can no longer sell them overpriced regiments of drugs for the rest of their life.

Why is this story not more widely distributed? I was just on MSN and I couldn't find it. It should be the main headline no?

I mean, AIDS finally after three decades or so can be cured and could go the way of smallpox and polio yet why isn't it more out there in the news? I don't get it.

I'll field this one - It is because many of you americans get all uppitty about it because it uses the cells from aborted feotuses 9even though in many cases they had not technically reached the feotus stage but let's not get technical here) and in the christian faith life starts at conception, so hardcore christians believe abortion is murder. and therefore stem cell research is encouraging the 'murder' of the unborn as it promises to make sick people better, so they think it is providing a reason for abortion and encouraging it.

Plus they don't like the idea ends coming from contemptable means, the end being people getting better cures for cancer and aids, and the means being what they see as murder, they think that ends from contemptable means are worth nothing, there are some people who think like that, like people who believe we should not torture anyone for any reason.

simply put, the reason why stem cell research is not funded in the US is RELIGION, particularly christianity - and since most americans are religious, and since most the media are dominated by christains and the politicians are mostly christians and the big business owners who fund politicians' campaigns... you get the idea. it is simply because of relgion

however, a second reason also exists. Some of these companies funding the politician cmapaigns are pharmacutical companies. Now what will happen to those companies if stem cell research is able to reach its potential? you got it? yep they will go down the sh*tter, simple fact. If people don't need sh*t-tonnes of pills to stay alive with so far uncurable diseases that can only be 'managed' then that is trillions lost for the big pharmacutical companies, if people are getting cured of these diseases by stem cell research WHICH THEY f*ckING WILL IF IT WAS FUNDED PROPERLY then they lose money. And since they provide the money to the campaign of a politician to run for governor, congressman, senator or president (whatever) they have some form of control over said politician if they win. so that is another reason why - the precious capitalism that america fights so hard to protect especially in the cold war is another major factor.

so 3 factors

1 - religion

2 - capitalism/money

3 - I class this as corruption, you may not. (politicans taking money for campaigns then scratching the back of the person who gave that money, i class this as corruption, but there are other less ugly words to describe it, feel free to use your own)

I for one think this is a magnificent step forward in the fight to cure AIDs, it needs to be cured, it needs to end.

Edited by NateShaw92

34693_s.gif