The 'Double-Disc' premise

Gaunty

Having recently purchased Max Payne 3 for the Xbox360 and just got onto the second disc, about forty-five minutes ago, the premise of multiple discs for GTA V popped into my mind. No, not primarily the thought that 'will there be some, or won't there?', but the thought of 'how will it be done, and will it be as well-executed as in Max Payne 3?'. Allow me to explain, in as 'spoiler-free fashion' as I can.

So, in MP3, Max undergoes a 'change' - causing him to shave his head and stop boozing. After the scene showing such changes starting, the screen fades to black and it states to 'Disc Change'. You pop in disc two and five - ten seconds later the game resumes without a hitch, picking up shortly after. Now, my first question to those that played Max Payne 3 on Xbox360 (The PS3 uses only one disc) - did the disc change actually bother you, or not? I mean, I've read on several forums that people hate multiple discs and thus are 'put off' buying a game for the Xbox, instead buying it on the PS3 that has typically more disc-space on a Blu-Ray and can fit everything on one.

Without sidetracking; considering MP3 is a rather linear game and required two discs on the Xbox360, how many do you think a game such as GTA V will ship with? Would you mind having to swap the disc over once, or even twice (should there be 3 discs)? And, finally, how do you think the disc-change will work? Will it ask you to change when you go to a new island/new part of town? Will it be after a certain part of the storyline?

As stated, I was playing MP3 and this just came to mind, and I wondered what people's opinions here were. I mean, let's face it, there's not much more to talk about regarding GTA news. confused.gif

EDIT: And, yes, I did search for this before posting. Couldn't see anything.

Edited by Gaunty

Chickenwing

Parts of the map will be on different discs?

Asking for a disk swap during free-roaming would be frankly horrible. Open world games pretty much need to be on 1 disc (L.A. Noire was on multiple but it was actually a linear game, the world was on all the disks). I think Rockstar can fit the game on 1 disk, Bethesda got skyrim on one disk and it's only 4gb on PC. They've just got to be clever about it.

fastetshot

The map can't be on 2 dvd's that will be enourmous ( Skyrim 3,8 gb the full game ).

Max Payne 3 is on 2 dvd's becouse of the multiplayer maps which are separate from the single player maps. Lets see RDR it is a big game , multiplayer , one disc , the map from single player is in the multiplayer ... is that simple biggrin.gif.

The game is not using motion capture like LA NOIRE . I think max. 2 dvd's biggrin.gif

iCaramelBird
Asking for a disk swap during free-roaming would be frankly horrible. Open world games pretty much need to be on 1 disc (L.A. Noire was on multiple but it was actually a linear game, the world was on all the disks). I think Rockstar can fit the game on 1 disk, Bethesda got skyrim on one disk and it's only 4gb on PC. They've just got to be clever about it.

This.

Parts of the map will be on different discs?

Aye, that's one of the thoughts I had. The only issue there is, if you're in the middle of a dogfight/aerial fight and you pass over to the other section on the map, what happens then? Does the game remember what has happening before the disc was changed by storing a temporary piece of memory on the console's HDD, or does it just start cleanly without anyone following you?

Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against it working in such a way - I just wonder how they'll do it.

I too own MP3 for the 360 and I don't mind switching discs at all. I remember switching discs all the time in the PS2 era so I'm used to it. If having GTAV on multiple discs means more content, better gameplay, sharper graphics, etc. then I'm all for it. If R* goes that route with GTAV for the 360 I hope they do like what they did with MP3 and that's placing the multiplayer on 1 disc and the single player on the other disc.

But most likely I'll be getting GTAV for the PS3 but if Microsoft gets the add-ons first just like IV then I'll get V for the 360. Swappind discs is not a big deal for me.

What I'd love to know is what's stopping MS from updating the Xbox OS to deal with multiple discs the same way a PC does: install all of the discs, then use disc 1 as the key to run the software in total, no swapping required.

The more Disc the more content doesn't bother me.

Bring up the optimistic side!

fastetshot
One disc for Single player and the Other for Multiplayer would be good

How? Do you think GTA V will have multiplayer maps on the Moon or what. GTA V will use the same map in the mp like in sp.

What's the point? You think they will put the same map on 2 discs ? lol

Agreed - and it's not as if R* are amateur developers. However, with it probably being a more open-world than Skyrim and (hopefully) having more diversity in it's pedestrian behaviours, I do wonder how much space it will actually take up.

There's always the option of a HD texture pack like Battlefield 3 to make the initial game-size smaller, but I'd rather R* didn't start taking pages out of EA's books... Ahem.

Chickenwing

They did it with LA Noire whatsthat.gif

fastetshot

Wut ?

Okay, so another disc is just for your Player model and customizations?

I want the game to be so f*cking enormous and awesome, that I'll have to change disc when playing it on my ps3.

Yepp!

I wonder which crappy console requires two or more discs...

Oh yeah.

an Xbox360 biggrin.gif

fastetshot

Oh yeah.

an Xbox360 biggrin.gif

"Haha...yea, that was a fake laugh you jerk"

Then go download your pirate games for you PC...

Reggie Wilson

The map would need to be on both/all (depending on how many there is) discs as switching discs while you were just free-roaming would be a let down. Missions wouldn't be a problem and I don't actually mind switching discs. I didn't mind doing it in L.A. Noire or Max Payne 3 so wouldn't have a problem with it in GTA V, the only problem is like I said before that if they had it while free-roaming would be annoying.

ll rdny ll

Asking for a disk swap during free-roaming would be frankly horrible. Open world games pretty much need to be on 1 disc

The only way I see us having to change discs in freeroam, is if the map is f*cking enormous. If Los Santos / San Fierro / Las Venturas were all in, fully fleshed out with new cities/towns. And even then I think the disc change would be prompted when you leave Los Santos area (to the north or west) and you would select which disc you'd be putting in. (disc 2 - Las Venturas, disc 3 - San Fierro)

That being said, I really doubt any of what I just posted is going to happen. So the only way I can see GTA V being on more that one disc, would be if it has a very, very long story.

ShotGunRain

Minimum 2 dvd's maximum 4. I wish us ps3 players get 2 blue ray discs more content and stuff too bad the xbox version might have 4 discs if it is 2 on ps3 confused.gif It's all that stupid audio from TV shows in game that takes the most space if they didn't have the stupid TV shows we would have more content like bigger map or better textures. One more thing please Rockstar make this game 720p on ps3.

Edited by ShotGunRain

Oh yeah.

an Xbox360 biggrin.gif

Take the console fanboyism elsewhere, or don't bother posting.

Apokalypse42

If there's more than 1 disc, they will most likely have the map on all the discs, or else they will dissapoint EVERYONE, like in Vice City, I HATED when the loading screen came up sometimes while freeroaming, that really sucked even tho it was only a couple of secs.. biggrin.gif

Please stop the Xbox/PS3 beef.... They're both good consoles and have different advantages... I like the PS3 because of the blu-ray and I like the Xbox because it has slight better graphics lol.gificon14.gif

Chickenwing

Minimum 2 dvd's maximum 4. I wish us ps3 players get 2 blue ray discs more content and stuff too bad the xbox version might have 4 discs if it is 2 on ps3 confused.gif It's all that stupid audio from TV shows in game that takes the most space if they didn't have the stupid TV shows we would have more content like bigger map or better textures. One more thing please Rockstar make this game 720p on ps3.

They don't do multiple discs... They'd just add another layer on to the blu-ray which can go to almost 130 GB which is equivalent to about 12 DVDs (lol jk I have no idea about the amount of DVDs as I have no idea how many layers they use on DVDs)

Edited by Chickenwing

Oh yeah.

an Xbox360 biggrin.gif

Take the console fanboyism elsewhere, or don't bother posting.

Thank you kind sir, words of wisdom right there.

OT= I have L.A. Noire for the PS3 so I don't know how the disc swapping worked on the 360. I'm still shocked that GTAIV was all on 1 disc but to be honest I don't know much about how games are developed.

If multiple discs means that GTAV will run just as good on the 360 as other platforms then I'm all for it.

If they're going to split anything it will be the missions, Mission Related Audio takes up a fair bit of space, just look at the PC version of IV, cutscenes, script_mission and scripted_speech take up 1.52GB, and that's just the mission audio! Split the missions in half and already each disc would get 760MB to work with as extra, which could mean a lot in terms of maps, weapons and vehicles.

If they're going to split anything it will be the missions, Mission Related Audio takes up a fair bit of space, just look at the PC version of IV, cutscenes, script_mission and scripted_speech take up 1.52GB, and that's just the mission audio!

Indeed, which is how I think it may be split up instead of slicing the map up into separate sections. Have half the missions on one disc and half on the other, both discs containing the same other features but with different missions.

gtamann123

If Skyrim is only 3.8 GB rooster should have No problem fitting V on one disc IMO