Soft Body Physics?

GTA_getaway_driver

GTA_getaway_driver

I recently saw a video on Youtube displaying a new addition to CryEngine 3, which is Soft-Body Physics for vehicles. Panels crushing more realistically and crashing vehicles looking more fun than it has ever been. I began to think that this may have been inspired by Rigs of Rods, and possibly, RockStar could be altering the RAGE Engine to use Soft-Body Physics. That will make the game more realistic (which it seems they are aiming for), make everyone better drivers, and keep you from hitting a wall going 80MPH and driving away with a dent on the front bumper.

The video in question:

That's a very impressive video, but I can't imagine this being implemented into GTA much, because if we had realistic damage like this, many of us would spend more time on foot looking for another car after every crash. lol.gif

9H7Sj34.jpg

ShotGunRain

Impossible on current gen consoles. Maybe next gen, but still i have my doubts that this will run on the next gen. You need very powerful PC to run this and the test is in real time.

ll rdny ll

I can't see how fans of GTA can honestly want something like this in GTA. There is a point where the realism can hinder the gameplay. Do you really want your cars falling apart everytime you smash into something while playing GTA V? I don't.

Finn 7 five 11
I can't see how fans of GTA can honestly want something like this in GTA. There is a point where the realism can hinder the gameplay. Do you really want your cars falling apart everytime you smash into something while playing GTA V? I don't.

Yeah same thing here.

Also i really doubt the game took 5 years ONLY for some "Soft Body" physics.

BaldadigeAnton

I do, it makes you try to keep driving, and to fear a crash. Especially where you are being chased by the cops, you don't want to crash because that would be the end of the chase, and the protagonist's life. However, you are right, it could become a hindrance gameplay whise when you failed and retried one mission six times but then again, you should get better at driving your car in stead of crashing it constantly.

By the way, this could be a major feature in Grand Turismo. They have been striving to get a realistic car simulator game, however they failed incredibly hard on the damage models last time.

Impossible on current gen consoles. Maybe next gen, but still i have my doubts that this will run on the next gen. You need very powerful PC to run this and the test is in real time.

Agreed about current gen. However, Next gen should be able to handle it. Would be great to see this in GTA one day.

I do, it makes you try to keep driving, and to fear a crash. Especially where you are being chased by the cops, you don't want to crash because that would be the end of the chase, and the protagonist's life. However, you are right, it could become a hindrance gameplay whise when you failed and retried one mission six times but then again, you should get better at driving your car in stead of crashing it constantly.

By the way, this could be a major feature in Grand Turismo. They have been striving to get a realistic car simulator game, however they failed incredibly hard on the damage models last time.

But that's the big brands like Mercedes and Lamborghini hate to see their car crashed. Most of the time the companies do not give their permission to crash the car.

GTA_getaway_driver
Also i really doubt the game took 5 years ONLY for some "Soft Body" physics.

Of course there is further development of the RAGE Engine, the making of the map that will be huge compared to past GTAs (I hope), and the making of the rest of the game, but I'm saying that if they implemented Soft-Body, it would obviously take some extra time. Even if they don't implement Soft-Body, they had to have upgraded crash models.

cant remember

Why wouldn't you want those physics in GTA?!

It's so unrealistic now you don't have to drive with any thought, just put the pedal to the metal and slam through everything in your way, and you still get across the whole town before your car dies. confused.gif

ShotGunRain

Agreed about current gen. However, Next gen should be able to handle it. Would be great to see this in GTA one day.

Well there were rumors floating around that the next gen consoles might use graphics card of a medium end PC that will not run this kind of physics. I sure hope that those rumors aren't true.

BaldadigeAnton

But that's the big brands like Mercedes and Lamborghini hate to see their car crashed. Most of the time the companies do not give their permission to crash the car.

I know, that is why they kept it out in the previous games. But their last game had some damage models for some brands right? I don't seem to remember how good they worked that out. On the other hand GTA doesn't use real brand names, so they can do it. Anyway I hope GTAV has a damage system like this.

RAGE is better than this crap yawn.gif

lol you wish!

RAGE is not even close to this level of car damage/physics! You are just an ignorant GTA/Rockstar fanboy, thats it. As other people mentioned, this will be the type of physics we'll probably see next gen. I guess Human Body physics will be improved as well.

Also repost OP!

Edited by Versous

UtricularEwe001

lol you wish!

RAGE is not even close to this level of car damage/physics! You are just an ignorant GTA/Rockstar fanboy, thats it.

Also repost OP!

it may not be close to this level of car damage but rage is better overall i.e gameplay mechanics and overall physics

and every cry engine game is a flop moto_whistle.gif

lol you wish!

RAGE is not even close to this level of car damage/physics! You are just an ignorant GTA/Rockstar fanboy, thats it.

Also repost OP!

it may not be close to this level of car damage but rage is better overall i.e gameplay mechanics and overall physics

How can you tell that when Crytek isn't even done with it yet? We'll talk again when the first racing game(probably next-gen) will use it...

Still at early stage.

Why wouldn't you want those physics in GTA?!

It's so unrealistic now you don't have to drive with any thought, just put the pedal to the metal and slam through everything in your way, and you still get across the whole town before your car dies. confused.gif

I agree. I hope that in GTA V, if you get in a little fender bender, your car will immediately stop working, and then you and the other driver will get out and exchange insurance information while waiting for the police to arrive, and then once they do they'll call in the tow truck to tow your car away and you will have to then get a cab to get home. Then you will be able to possibly go to court if you feel the other driver was responsible but claimed that you were the one responsible, and you can settle it there. That is much more realistic than what you do in GTA IV and I feel it would be much more fun.