Dissecting GTA titles Before Release is more Fun

ArcaneKnight

ArcaneKnight

Let's face it. GTA has become a series where dissecting every piece of information, video, and screen cap has become just as fun, if not more exciting than getting your hands on the actual game itself and playing it for the first time. At this point, it's basically the best thing the franchise has going for it right now.

It's like an Easter egg hunt. When you were a kid, you never cared about what was actually in the egg when you found them. The best part about the hunt, was the hunt itself. Basically the best part about GTA games now, is the lead up to release, not the game itself anymore. Rockstar knows this, which is why they make such a big deal out of this whole pre-release deal. People can't get enough of the teasers, but they can get enough of a full video game. They've made this as part of the whole experience now, so even if the game doesn't live up to expectations, you still feel like you got your moneys worth when you factor in the build up, so people don't really complain about the final product. They were given months, if not years of entertainment before the game ever even hit stores.

I remember the lead up to GTA IV, and it being some of the most fun I've had waiting for a game to hit shelves. So much so, that when I beat the game first week, I was left feeling like "that was it?" It was almost to the point, I wanted them to take the game back so I could go back and get that feeling I got from the game before release. I remember I would let my imagination run wild with the bits of new information that leaked thinking there had to be more to it, and that things went much more in depth than just what we saw on the surface. Though looking back, I should've taken some of that information at face value, and simply left it at that. I held Rockstar up on a pedestal for so long that I needed IV to bring my thoughts on them as a developer back down to earth.

Sort of went off on a tangent, but I think the GTA series is nearing the end of its run. The hype and build up prior to release, is more fun than the GTA games themselves nowadays. I can't help but wonder how much of their focus is on pre release hype, than actual game development. It's like they put all their eggs in 1 basket with that 1st trailer to try and shake up the stranglehold MW3 and BF3 had on the industry at the time. No offense to them, they've done an exceptional job thus far, and you can't expect anyone or anything to stay on top forever. But when you have more fun with a game pre release, than after release, I think it marks the time you should hang them up and pursue other gaming ventures. Let's say they implement everything in V and knock it completely out of the park, how can they build on it? The answer is they can't. The franchise will just become repetitive. Unless they go back to the formula of taking things back out of the franchise to use as a selling point for future titles/DLC's.

But who does Rockstar think we take them for? Just another everyday developer looking for the next big money grab? I don't think so. This is the final hurrah. Go big or go home. The prerelease hype will always suffice for the time being, its the final product that needs to deliver.

Dale Nixon

Yeah, except having and being able to play the game is still a thousand times more better than waiting for it.

TheBossMan5000

Well said, I've been feeling the exact same way, and I suffered through each one of these, with VC, SA, GTA IV, LCS, VCS and once the episodes from liberty city came around, I had lost that spark and I just let them come out without caring, but I've played through them now and I think they're pretty damn good and TBOGT specifically shows us where rockstar wants to head, a nice mature mix of their old style and this new spin. so here's hoping we all enjoy this last big build-up and I truly think they've given us this one with so much silence so that we can all be blown away by a videogames the way we were when GTA III first turned the face of the gaming industry upside down. It's long overdue, and I guess they knew the option was either to let people scrutinize and spoil the game for themselves or just starve us so that the treat will be that much sweeter when we get it. (Insert "I see what you've done there Rockster meme picture here)

Vice Beach

You kidding? This sucks. The lead up to the game is only good when they actually market the game and give you something to dissect more than once every 7 months.

I don't think this is too terrible of a topic. However, I think it will get more serious replies in the GTA Series chat section. smile.gif

fV9tG4b.gif

Harwood Butch3r

I don't think this is too terrible of a topic. However, I think it will get more serious replies in the GTA Series chat section.  smile.gif

Agreed.

The trailer was just the tip of the iceberg and look at the amount of hype it produced alone. When they really start the hype machine over GTA V you'll see how things will escalate out of control here on GTA Forums. It's been 4 years since GTA V, so many new players will get together with the GTA IV guys and the old school players. I don't think they're near the end. There're endless possibilities for an open game remain fresh just adding this or that piece of novelty, like GTA IV and the extensive use of cell phones and media. Some people enjoyed, but others hated. There's no praising everybody and we know that it's part of the game. Rockstar is no EA. They don't promise what they cannot give.

Shampson360
Let's face it. GTA has become a series where dissecting every piece of information, video, and screen cap has become just as fun, if not more exciting than getting your hands on the actual game itself and playing it for the first time. At this point, it's basically the best thing the franchise has going for it right now.

It's like an Easter egg hunt. When you were a kid, you never cared about what was actually in the egg when you found them. The best part about the hunt, was the hunt itself. Basically the best part about GTA games now, is the lead up to release, not the game itself anymore. Rockstar knows this, which is why they make such a big deal out of this whole pre-release deal. People can't get enough of the teasers, but they can get enough of a full video game. They've made this as part of the whole experience now, so even if the game doesn't live up to expectations, you still feel like you got your moneys worth when you factor in the build up, so people don't really complain about the final product. They were given months, if not years of entertainment before the game ever even hit stores.

I remember the lead up to GTA IV, and it being some of the most fun I've had waiting for a game to hit shelves. So much so, that when I beat the game first week, I was left feeling like "that was it?" It was almost to the point, I wanted them to take the game back so I could go back and get that feeling I got from the game before release. I remember I would let my imagination run wild with the bits of new information that leaked thinking there had to be more to it, and that things went much more in depth than just what we saw on the surface. Though looking back, I should've taken some of that information at face value, and simply left it at that. I held Rockstar up on a pedestal for so long that I needed IV to bring my thoughts on them as a developer back down to earth.

Sort of went off on a tangent, but I think the GTA series is nearing the end of its run. The hype and build up prior to release, is more fun than the GTA games themselves nowadays. I can't help but wonder how much of their focus is on pre release hype, than actual game development. It's like they put all their eggs in 1 basket with that 1st trailer to try and shake up the stranglehold MW3 and BF3 had on the industry at the time. No offense to them, they've done an exceptional job thus far, and you can't expect anyone or anything to stay on top forever. But when you have more fun with a game pre release, than after release, I think it marks the time you should hang them up and pursue other gaming ventures. Let's say they implement everything in V and knock it completely out of the park, how can they build on it? The answer is they can't. The franchise will just become repetitive. Unless they go back to the formula of taking things back out of the franchise to use as a selling point for future titles/DLC's.

But who does Rockstar think we take them for? Just another everyday developer looking for the next big money grab? I don't think so. This is the final hurrah. Go big or go home. The prerelease hype will always suffice for the time being, its the final product that needs to deliver.

Dont you ever say gta is nearing the end. They release a game every 4 years now. They take time building their games, its not like COD that game is nearingi its end