Will switching weapons finally be realistic?

Versous

In the recent GTA's you switch weapons and suddenly you have the gun in your hand. But it's 2012, I personally expect some more realistic animation for that.

Prometheus

Yeah, IV's switching style was good, better than having two weapons only.

3lIXKDi.png

Vice Beach

They might use MP3's realistic weapon system, all the guns you have are visible. 2 handguns and one two-handed gun. The casual "kill cops and run over hookers" GTA player would have a tantrum though.

shattered-minds

The weapon carrying animations in MP3 was really good, but they should stay there. I want to carry 15-20 weapons on me, not up to 3

They could take the Max Payne 3 system. But then you can only have 4-5 weapons because it'll be too heavy. Do you want his? Anyway we will see when the game will released. Hopefully this year.

Vice Beach

I never had much interest in carrying

25 guns on me. I always only carried a pistol, sun machine gun and assault rifle anyway.

I'd like if they adopted the MP3 system while also adding the utility of trunks and duffel bags to increase your inventory space.

I'd probably prefer if they kept it pretty much as is.

However, I am curious to see what would happen if they did it sort of like in L.A. Noire: You only carry a pistol (and for V a melee weapon, maybe 1-2 grenades) on you, but heavier weapons would be 'supplied' by the mission, though you'd lose them again when the mission ended. Or at least, you wouldn't be able to conceal them, so you'd attract a lot of attention. I'm not entirely sure I'd like it myself, what with the more freeform nature of GTA, but could be an interesting experiment.

The biggest change I want to see in the weapon switching is a weapon wheel.

Max Payne 3 and Red Dead Redemption had the most frustrating weapon switching system I've encountered in gaming - the weapon wheel!

In the heat of a multiplayer battle, to change weapons you have to fill the screen with a giant diagram containing images of all your guns - then twiddle the thumbstick, "FFS just go to the rifle you stupid wheel!!" then hit the button to select it.

Gawd 'elp us! Talk about disrupting the flow? I've put over 3000 hours into combat MP in GTA IV & DLC, but that number shrinks to about a handful of hours in RDR & MP3.

Seriously, if the weapon wheel returns in V, I won't be wasting my money on it.

* Gratuitous Youtube Embed *

Me and Floppay kicking some Rockstar butt from their POV

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

I wouldn't mind if these reduced the total amount of weapons that you could have at one time to about 3 or 4 to make them visible and have animations. I only ever carry a pistol, sub machine gun and an assault rifle.

There's loads of ways that they could change the weapon system and I really cbf getting into them all.

They might use MP3's realistic weapon system, all the guns you have are visible. 2 handguns and one two-handed gun.

Yep, let me just put my rocket launcher into my pocket and take out a flamethrower... bored.gif

Bro, GTA was never about realism. It was about having fun. If cops busted our asses for speeding through a red light, then people would just get frustrated over GTA. There needs to be a balance between realism and fun, and being limited to 4 weapons really takes the micky out of G T A.

Harwood Butch3r
Max Payne 3 and Red Dead Redemption had the most frustrating weapon switching system I've encountered in gaming - the weapon wheel!

In the heat of a multiplayer battle, to change weapons you have to fill the screen with a giant diagram containing images of all your guns - then twiddle the thumbstick, "FFS just go to the rifle you stupid wheel!!" then hit the button to select it.

Gawd 'elp us! Talk about disrupting the flow? I've put over 3000 hours into combat MP in GTA IV & DLC, but that number shrinks to about a handful of hours in RDR & MP3.

Seriously? I actually prefer the weapon wheel. I feel it's much faster than using the directional button in GTA.

Pleasure_Pier

You sir are fool

They might use MP3's realistic weapon system, all the guns you have are visible. 2 handguns and one two-handed gun.

Yep, let me just put my rocket launcher into my pocket and take out a flamethrower... bored.gif

Bro, GTA was never about realism. It was about having fun. If cops busted our asses for speeding through a red light, then people would just get frustrated over GTA. There needs to be a balance between realism and fun, and being limited to 4 weapons really takes the micky out of G T A.

IV was about realism...

Some people who know sh*t about games with cars in it even said that It would be to realisticbecause they wren't able to drive with physics like that .IV is a pretty realistic game in terms of pyhsics and animation and I'm sure that R* will try to improve this.

Edited by Versous

Johnny_Cash1983

it wont work like mp3 but if they want to do it then they could add the two handed guns to menu like u pause the game and chose which gun u want to be viseble

I really don't want it to be realistic,I want it to feel like im playing gta not something else. I think they should keep the gta iv weapon switching to keep it kinda real but at the same time not to much. So it feels like a gta game.

I'd rather just pull an RPG out of my armpit without thinking about it

GarrowsKai

I'm in two minds over it really. I'd like it if you could only carry 3 weapons at a time as that would make the missions a bit more of a challenge (especially the later ones, where in previous GTAs you might have a pistol, SMG, assault rifle, shotgun, sniper rifle, grenades and rocket launcher all fully loaded making missions a walk in the park). It would also add to the realism which I personally enjoy. However, I do also really like to causing utter carnage with the plethora of weapons from time to time.

Unless they can implement a way to be able to switch between the two weapon carrying systems when the player desires it, maybe best to keep it as it is, after all if I want to only rely on just a pistol and an assault rifle then I can just use those and ignore the other weapons in my inventory.

As long as the animation for switching weapons aren't longer than 2 seconds, I'm all for it.

I'd like if they adopted the MP3 system while also adding the utility of trunks and duffel bags to increase your inventory space.

Is that a gun in your trunks or are you just pleased to see me? smile.gif

as i said awhile back, i think that you should be able to carry up to two pistols on your person or two light smgs because you should only have two holsters on each side of your body. to make you more attached to your car, i think that all of your heavy weaponry should be kept in the trunk. because when you are on a mission you are more than likely going to drive to it anyways and if you have your car you have all of your weapons. kind of like men in black 1 where they always had their pistol on them but when they were going to kill something big they stopped went to their trunk and got their better guns. also the more heavy machine guns you have in one trunk should slow your car down. also you should only be able to carry up to three heavy guns in your trunk. im tired of playes pulling guns out of their asses. this is the best solution

Racecarlock
In the recent GTA's you switch weapons and suddenly you have the gun in your hand. But it's 2012, I personally expect some more realistic animation for that.

Improved animation. Fine. I have no problem with that whatsoever.

But man, what's with the people who keep asking for weapon limits? Yes, IV was more realistic in terms of graphics, physics, and environmental things such as pedestrian actions. But let me ask you guys this. Who the hell went all around the city setting up stunt jumps and convincing people to leave them there forever? How the hell did the chopper in the final mission take an RPG blast without just exploding into tiny pieces or being blown upside down by the explosion like what happens with the police choppers when I do that? How the f*ck do scripted enemies in missions somehow stay ahead of me with all of their tires blown off and they're in a willard or something and I'm in a turismo?

As for weapon limits. No. That would suck. If you honestly want to stick to two weapons, then just stick to two weapons. There's no reason I should have more challenge basically forced on me because others wanted it. The ability to go nuts with a rocket launcher pulled out of my ass has been a fundamental part of the GTA series from the 1st top down game all the way up to IV. Even IV left that in. You know, the realistic one. If I want weapon limits, I'll just play mafia II again.

I say no to both animation changes and weapon limits. You can't have one without the other. If you change animations to a more realistic style like in MP3 you will also have to limit weapon numbers as it would look totally f*cked up to cycle through a rocket launcher and an AK and then your baseball bat with realistic weapon changing graphics.

Gtaghost22
No, keep it like IV

This

i would say RDR's weapons wheel system was quite good too, maybe they can have both as an option?

honestly a weapon limit should be implimented because it makes the game a little more realistic. im not saying it shouldn't be over the top but a little realism in this way isn't that bad

Racecarlock
honestly a weapon limit should be implimented because it makes the game a little more realistic. im not saying it shouldn't be over the top but a little realism in this way isn't that bad

Is there any other reason besides "It would make it more realistic"? Because, that excuse could be used to put a bathroom system in the game and force a 9 to 5 accountancy job on the player in the beginning of the game.

You really seem to like realism though. Tell you what. Go get a copy of mafia II and play through the whole game. Play through the bland shootouts, experience the endless traffic sitting, deal with the two weapons limit, and I hope you like that part where you scrub down prison toilets. You're going to love that.

GarrowsKai

Is there any other reason besides "It would make it more realistic"? Because, that excuse could be used to put a bathroom system in the game and force a 9 to 5 accountancy job on the player in the beginning of the game.

You really seem to like realism though. Tell you what. Go get a copy of mafia II and play through the whole game. Play through the bland shootouts, experience the endless traffic sitting, deal with the two weapons limit, and I hope you like that part where you scrub down prison toilets. You're going to love that.

Would help to make missions a bit more of a challenge.

i said a little realism to the most relevant part of the game. 1 thats a slippery slope fallacy and 2 thats too much hyperbole. why are you against somebody not being able to materialize an rpg out of their butts?