Air and Wind physics in GTA V

gevans81

I like many of you, have watched the first GTA V trailer numerous times, after watching again earlier this afternoon I spotted something that stood out to me. It was apparent throughout the trailer, from beginning to end. Wind and air, this might well sound like a random forum user rambling on about something of nothing, but here me out. Below I'm going to post images relating to my topic.

1. In the opening scene from the trailer we are shown a beach setting with a flag that is blowing in the wind on top of a lifeguard station. We also see seagulls flying in the same scene.

user posted image

2. We are then treated to a few different scenes but I've chosen this one, the mountain scene with the hikers, if you watch the trees in this scene it is clear to see they are moving and sometimes even swaying because of the wind. The clouds above the mountain also seem to be feeling some effect from the wind.

user posted image

3. If you look at the following scene in the trailer above the guy in the car who is stopped at the lights, just as the woman begins crossing the road, look above the shop front windows and you will see that the wind is having an effect here too.

user posted image

4. One of the most obvious air & wind moments coming up.

user posted image

5. Here we can clearly see a house in the background, on the right side of the house there is an open window with curtains blowing.

user posted image

6. In the scene below, bunting can be seen blowing freely in the wind all around the store front and side of the building.

user posted image

I'm sure the are many more examples of this within the trailer but this really just a rough example of how the wind physics are being displayed, I really hope these physics will be present in game. I don't recall seeing too many recent releases that level of detail regarding wind & air physics. It would certainly add to the level of game world immersion.

WhiteArcticFox

I'm sure those are just simple animations, but it'd be very interesting if there was wind in this game

2. We are then treated to a few different scenes but I've chosen this one, the mountain scene with the hikers, if you watch the trees in this scene it is clear to see they are moving and sometimes even swaying because of the wind. The clouds above the mountain also seem to be feeling some effect from the wind.

I noticed the clouds before, it's awesome!

"Let's go, let's bounce baby! An' When I say bounce I don't mean bouncing literally I just mean..."

"I know what it means Yusuf."

"It's a term from the street meaning you have to walk, but if you don't get that it's a bit like rolling. You have to roll, not like a fat man rolling, it means actually just walk."

"Can we just go?"

Yeah I love all those things blowing around in the wind. It really brings the environments alive.

Johnny_Cash1983

im sure it wil be in it in rdr when the wind comes the clothes will start moving

if u look at 9.09 u see john clothes start to move

Snake Without a Tongue

John Marston's poncho was the best effect in RDR. But the flags and such -- it's the small stuff that makes the difference.

Can´t wait to throw someone on those wind turbine wings.

spacer.png

Yeah, these are all just animations to represent the effect of wind. As for their complexity, that's a harder call to make. Will flags move more violently in storms ? (If there are even storms) will trees sway more etc ?

Will they even ever change the direction they are blowing in.. these are all things we won't know. Realisticly, probably not. Things like this are right at the top of lists in regards to superficial luxuries. These will be the first things to be cut during operation optimization to get a solid framerate and good performance.

As for actually simulating the wind using globally applied computational fluid dynamics simulations..keep dreaming ! Those are the kind of things that are listed in the "Imagine the day when console games are so realistic that.."

Edited by kmanmx

LanceTVance

Yes, a lot of objects and details are animated in this game. They are likely simple shaders like the mechanisms creating the water/wave effects. Saying that the game has actual wind physics is a bit far stretched.

EDIT: like kmanmx says above. ^

Edited by LanceTVance

Ferocious Banger

Well.It was discussed on November the second itself.But still,a very good OP. Cheers!

I'm sure those are just simple animations, but it'd be very interesting if there was wind in this game

You are right in that they could be animations however while playing other non R* games like battlefield 3 you can notice that while flying a helicopter low enough, you can see trees separating from the down force of the helicopter blades. So I do think that air and wind can be and possibly will be implemented.

You are right in that they could be animations however while playing other non R* games like battlefield 3 you can notice that while flying a helicopter low enough, you can see trees separating from the down force of the helicopter blades. So I do think that air and wind can be and possibly will be implemented.

I'm pretty sure trees did that in Vice City (not as nicely obviously, but they still reacted to heli's).

I'm pretty sure trees did that in Vice City (not as nicely obviously, but they still reacted to heli's).

Oh, It's been a long time since I played that one.. don't remember

There is still a very big difference between recreating the effects of wind, and actually creating wind itself.

One is easy, resource efficient. The other is extremely complicated, phenomenally resource intensive - but if it were to ever be implemented in a game like GTA in the future, it would be incredible. Though I don't see it happening within 20 years.

In san Andreas in some storms the wind would affect you. If you were on a small plane, helicopter or hovering with a hydra, You'd be pushed a bit by the wind

TheBossMan5000

Wind Waker back on Gamecube had dynamic wind effects, I don't see why this couldn't smile.gif

Ex Hellraiser

IV had wind effects, but only in helicopters in heavy storms. It wasn't even very notable, and only moved the helicopter at about five mph or so. San andreas had heavy sandstorms that could easily steer your dodo or stuntplane in the wrong direction. If V could improve on that, and adds heavy gusts in relatively clear weather, and heavier winds in high altitudes, then it would be much more realistic. Could add a bigger challenge to flight...

Snake Without a Tongue

Will the wind turbines move realistically or just turn in a predetermined way, is the question I'm looking forward to seeing answered.

sublimelabs

I'm loving all the little details.

I hope Rockstar makes use of that insanely good-looking clothing animation system from Max Payne 3... Wrinkling = cry.gif reaction

I'm also thinking it would be great to be near the coast/beaches and be able to see and hear the effects of the wind. That would be awesome.

I also believe that these are animations rather than wind physics.

Another intersting effect, probably also scripted rather than physical, is flashes of light off of shiny surfaces that are moving with the wind. See the little blue shiny plastic ribbons holding up the "Pleasure Pier" sign at 0:09 and 0:011 in the Trailer.

Someone pointed out these flashes in the Trailer Analysis topic and I took a shot at commenting on them, on page 439.

0:09, look behind the guy with no t-shirt, in the background, anyone seen the little flash?

I first thought it could be a reflection off of a car and then on the building, but at second glance looks like a flag being lit by the Sun.  sigh.gif

There is a tiny blue ribbon holding up the banner that says "Pleasure Pier." The end of that ribbon is flapping in the breeze - you can see it over the "No Fishing Zone' sign before the guy's leg covers it up. After he passes the fishing zone sign, that ribbon catches a reflection. Wow, thats a subtle little thing.

It may be a scripted effect to make the trailer look cooler and more realistic, but if dynamic things like this ribbon (whose wind-driven motion is probably scripted anyway) have dynamic reflections of light sources, even if they are random as opposed to calcuating actual light ray angles, that would be a nice touch.

EDIT: The other ribbon on the Pleasure Pier banner also has a flash reflection at 0:11.

BlackLightning
Can´t wait to throw someone on those wind turbine wings.

Should be pretty fun trying to fly a plane through them without getting walloped.

6. In the scene below, bunting can be seen blowing freely in the wind all around the store front and side of the building.

LOL! You know what bunting is! ... Ah crap, I know what it's called too! confused.gif

Anyway, on topic... You can see wind effects on the rage engine in Max Payne 3, when a helicopter flies by some lawn furniture and crates along with some other stuff, just before you have to shoot the gunmen out of the chopper that just flew in.

Almost every scene has another example. Small or large. Maybe this bold new direction is actually a dynamic seasonal living environment. It could very well be something that effects every move we make in V. Think about shooting an RPG and a sudden gust of wind makes you miss. Think about what would happen if our surroundings are never static, they could be demolished, or built upon. Even the simple addition of wind can open the door to hundreds of new ways to play a GTA.

The Unknown Man

I want to do some heavy crosswind landings with my Shamal yeahhh cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif