Should GTA V have a musical score?

Carmelo

After playing Max Payne 3 I realised that the score added quite a lot to the atmosphere, and got me thinking if a musical score would fit in with GTA V during missions.

Obviously GTA has traditionally ONLY used diagetic sounds during missions, but if they're (R*) are planning on taking the series in a "Bold new direction" do you think they will implement a score during missions to add to the atmosphere? And if so do you think it will be a good idea? Or would you prefer them to stick with how it's always been?

Lock n' Stock

I think they'll do it. Red Dead Redemption did, L.A. Noire did, hell even Saints Row: The Third did. I think Rockstar should go with it.

johnny_zoo

Good question, I think yes a musical sscore for the gamewould add to the excitement and thrill of the experience/missions but its not traditionally GTA so I guess no in the end.

GTA would lose its fun light hearted approach to American consumerism and become too serious with a score. As long as we can play our own music via the radio then it should be OK.

I wouldn't care for it. In IV you actually heard music most of the time you were on foot, but it was coming from inside apartments or from passing vehicles. There's plenty of atmosphere and it seems more organic. The star of GTA is the location and time period and music is there to be explored and discovered rather than to tell you how to feel at a particular time.

Red Dead Redemption is a world without much diagetic music and both RDR and L.A. Noire draw from specific genres of film and TV that can be associated with particular styles of musical scoring. Max Payne 3 is a linear story about a character more than a place or time.

huevos_benedicto_180
I wouldn't care for it. In IV you actually heard music most of the time you were on foot, but it was coming from inside apartments or from passing vehicles. There's plenty of atmosphere and it seems more organic. The star of GTA is the location and time period and music is there to be explored and discovered rather than to tell you how to feel at a particular time.

Red Dead Redemption is a world without much diagetic music and both RDR and L.A. Noire draw from a specific genre of film and TV that can be associated with a particular style of musical score. Max Payne 3 is a linear story about a character more than a place or time.

Aye.

With a few exceptions, all music in the game should come from ingame sources, ie. car-radios, public sound-systems, clubs, etc. Possibly a portable music player, so that, if you're just out walking, running or causing havoc, you can bring up your phone, plug some earphones in and enjoy whatever tunes you'd like. And maybe that shouldn't even be possible during missions.

My exception would be the use of songs during pivotal plot points, similar to how it was in Red Dead Redemption. Crossing into Mexico and hearing 'Far Away' come on was one of my best gaming experiences, especially because ambient sounds faded down and that song was (almost) all you could hear. Although, it was at least partially also from how unexpected it was, as the later songs didn't really have the same impact.

As such, music should be used like that only sparingly, as to not make it impactless. Maybe even only be used once. Along those lines, that song should not be heard on the radio before that point.

Yeah I suppose, all the diagetic sounds in shootouts etc. do come together to give an atmosphere. I'm just thinking about this "bold new direction" could be a possibility.

I would like to see more logical money after finishing story. Look at U.L.Paper in GTA4. They are talking like Niko is doing for free, yet he will get a lot of money after finishing....

I would like to see more scripted radio music. Music that matches the atmosphere and what is going on being played from a car during a cutscene, and continue when you play. GTA IV did this two or three times and it was pretty good. They also made it work in TBoGT. It should be used when the player doesn't have access to a vehicle and such so it doesn't break the whole point of a musical score.

@r34ld34l

That's the player being rewarded, not Niko. I consider some of the money to be non-canon. It's just the player being given something for completing a mission, while story-wise Niko isn't earning anything.

I would like to see more scripted radio music. Music that matches the atmosphere and what is going on being played from a car during a cutscene, and continue when you play. GTA IV did this two or three times and it was pretty good. They also made it work in TBoGT. It should be used when the player doesn't have access to a vehicle and such so it doesn't break the whole point of a musical score.

Yeah, that could work. In the 'Cousins Bellic' for example, you'd hear that annoying song on Vladivostok in the cutscene, and it would carry on when you actually drive the taxi.

My exception would be the use of songs during pivotal plot points, similar to how it was in Red Dead Redemption. Crossing into Mexico and hearing 'Far Away' come on was one of my best gaming experiences, especially because ambient sounds faded down and that song was (almost) all you could hear. Although, it was at least partially also from how unexpected it was, as the later songs didn't really have the same impact.

Man, I wish I could have had that experience. When I first got to Mexico, instead of getting on the provided horse, I whistled for my own horse because I was going for the achievement to keep the same horse for a certain number of missions. Because I didn't get on the provided horse, that song never played for me. I'm sure Rockstar have patched that since, but it really deprived me of the experience that many people describe as one of the highlights of the game. cryani.gif

Well i'm sure you guys have noticed that in some cut-scenes there is sometimes music in the background coming from a radio.

I would actually like it if they did it like RDR. I loved when the music started playing when I was on my horse and chasing after bandits!

I want GTAV to be more like a sandbox and less cinematic. So I don't want action music popping up when I get in a gunfight of get a wanted level. If it were optional to completely turn off that class of music, I would be OK with that option; otherwise, no music.

The soundtrack that popped up in RDR was usually serving the purpose of a cue to tell you what mode the game was in. I didn't mind it so much, including the occasional poignant western twangs out in the lonely desert, since RDR was atmospheric and cinematic by its nature.

But I don't GTAV designed with a cinematic mindset, no, no, no!!

How about, SCORELESS, more ambient like Red Dead Redemption!!?

Huh? C'mon Slamman, read the OP. RDR was far from "scoreless".

The RDR score was breathtaking. "Compass" and "Far Away" are two of the best songs ever in a video game. I'm also listening to the MP3 soundtrack. BLASPHEMY by HEALTH is INSANE! I cannot wait for this game to come out on PC.