Guys..what will be the cost of repairingdvd drive?

Ferocious Banger

Ferocious Banger

Hey,I bough GTAIV disk for PC again.But only this time my dvd drive is in a bad condition.I left it open by mistake and then I hit it unknowingly with my knee.Then I closed it.Now it doesnt open anymore.Only the light flashes.

So what should I do?

So how much will a repair work cost.Can you tell it in Indian rupee?

Thanks in advance

smile.gif

sivispacem

DVD drives are so cheap it's funny. Under a tenner for a decent quality Samsung dual-layer DVD-ROM/RAM writer. That's what, about 900 rupees?

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

Ferocious Banger

Umm so around 900-1000 bucks..thank u guys..But what do you think the problem is?

I actually had a similar proble with mine, I also hit mine with my knee, It wouldn't close for me, My uncle just took it out and put a new one in confused.gif

G1T

It won't help now, but when you get a new drive, make sure that the first thing you do is update the firmware to the latest version.

Proper firmware can mean the difference between a drive that lasts a lifetime to one that breaks a couple months after buying it. Hell, the Samsung SH-S223 drives had faulty firmware for a while that would kill the drive in around a year (fixed now with firmware update).

FIOszpJ.gif

There is a way to manually open a DVD drive when the PC is off. You stick a pin into a little hole at the front of the drive. I file off the end of the pin, so it is not sharp. Alternatively, use an unbent paperclip. You have to push quite hard.. you will feel when it gives. Push in until the front releases.

I say this because: (a) You may have a disc stuck in there. (b) It may help to repair it

Of course, if it is jammed, it may not open even manually, but it is worth a try.

Edited by luceberg

nightwalker83
There is a way to manually open a DVD drive when the PC is off. You stick a pin into a little hole at the front of the drive. I file off the end of the pin, so it is not sharp. Alternatively, use an unbent paperclip. You have to push quite hard.. you will feel when it gives. Push in until the front releases.

I say this because: (a) You may have a disc stuck in there. (b) It may help to repair it

Of course, if it is jammed, it may not open even manually, but it is worth a try.

Yeah, that trick is always useful to know in case of power failure, etc where you can't open the tray.

leik oh em jeez!

icon14.gif Stick a paper clip in the hole and give it a little force. The drive will pop open, and it may continue working without needing repair or replacement.

Another thing to consider is that sometimes DVD drives just don't want to open. I have to play with mine sometimes before it'll open.

Ferocious Banger

Thanks for all the replies guys..I replaced the broken one with a new one.ALL IS WELL...!!