Xbox Might Get Banned..?

SlickSpencer8

SlickSpencer8

Microsoft and Motorola have been in a nasty patent battle this year, and a new development from the U.S. International Trade Commission suggests that a sales and import ban against the Xbox 360 is on the table.

According to Wired, the legal red tape goes back to last April, when ITC Administrative Law Judge David Shaw ruled that Microsoft violated four Motorola Mobility (owned by Google) patents that cover H.264 video compression codecs used in Xbox 360s and gaming accessories. As a result, there is a pending ban on Xbox 360 sales in Germany, but it’s on hold until the rulings in the U.S. are settled.

All credit goes to: www.egmnow.com

Link: http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/itc-ju...tent-violation/

Anyways, I don't know about you guys but I can't live without my Xbox and I hope it doesn't get banned in the U.S...

Edited by SlickSpencer8

deathdealer

I really don't think it will ever happen. If the ITC does let the Obama handle it instead, he'll just overturn the decision.

Edited by deathdealer

Obama would be all like "F*CK NO, I just bought Minecraft and Trials HD!"

38773_s.gif

It doesn't sound like Canada is affected, so I'll take that as a victory.
clEsyRO.gif

SlickSpencer8
It doesn't sound like Canada is affected, so I'll take that as a victory.

For right now -_-

So Microsoft is finally a victim to their own bullsh*t? I've read enough on the patent wars between them, Apple and Google to know that playing the "but..but.. innovation!" good guy card only when its in their favor is a steaming pile of ironic crap.

In any way, this will probably be overturned like mentioned already.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
I'd like to know why this has only just come about, near enough to the end of the cycle for the 360...

IM_YOUR_GOD

Not going to happen in the states, Microsoft is an American powerhouse company.

DONE

user posted image

darthYENIK
Not going to happen in the states, Microsoft is an American powerhouse company.

DONE

So is Google.

UNDONE

But seriously, I'm sure if Microsoft gets their backs against the wall, they'll offer some sort of settlement. I doubt they'd be stupid enough to let it get to where Xbox is not being sold in America.

SlickSpencer8

I am sure that Xbox will offer them some money to shut them up and to keep quiet about it.

fireguy109
I am sure that Xbox will offer them some money to shut them up and to keep quiet about it.

Why would they take it though? Sony would probably be willing to pony up twice that for kicking out the PS3's main rival.

pkmTc.gif

Wait. Who makes Xbox again? Is it Microsoft? Oh yeah, that company doesn't have the kind of money it takes to makes this go away without any pain.

Finn 7 five 11
So they may be banned because of a Codec.

Yeah companies have been picking patent and copyright laws left, right, and centre lately.

Doesn't ps 3 use the codec too? Also Hauppage HDpvrs use it?

Wait. Who makes Xbox again? Is it Microsoft? Oh yeah, that company doesn't have the kind of money it takes to makes this go away without any pain.

Isn't it a huge company going up against a huge company though?

38773_s.gif

leik oh em jeez!
Wait.  Who makes Xbox again?  Is it Microsoft?  Oh yeah, that company doesn't have the kind of money it takes to makes this go away without any pain.

So they both pay each other a couple billion and everyone's happy.

Wait.  Who makes Xbox again?  Is it Microsoft?  Oh yeah, that company doesn't have the kind of money it takes to makes this go away without any pain.

So they both pay each other a couple billion and everyone's happy.

"HEY, HIS PALLET OF MONEY IS GREENER THAN MINE!!! NO DEAL!"

38773_s.gif

UberChargedCJ

do all xbox 360's get recalled after ban?

Edited by UberChargedCJ

do all xbox 360's get recalled after ban?

No, it's a ban on importing them, no retroactive effect. (I would assume)

38773_s.gif

These patents are ludicrous. Surely two or more different companies are bound to come up with the same bit of tech independently of each other.

They should only be allowed to patent technology that is hugely different to what's already on the market.

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

nightwalker83

These patents are ludicrous. Surely two or more different companies are bound to come up with the same bit of tech independently of each other.

They should only be allowed to patent technology that is hugely different to what's already on the market.

Yes, I agree! It would be like someone getting a patent on a wheel, the wheel being the base object thus people would not be able to improve on it.

Finn 7 five 11

Well what defines hugely different? Where is the line drawn?

Besides, nothing wrong with patents, p other companies will just have to pay for rights.