PS3 Hanging

Raindancer

Raindancer

Hi All,

Since the last month or so, my PS3 keeps hanging when scrolling through the XMB, at first it was just an half a second delay every now and then, but now it will freeze for up to 3-4 seconds before catching up with itself.

ITV player has all but stopped working and very hit and miss with 4od, however... Navigating through the Netflix menu has become a real pain, freezing for 10-15 seconds before working normally for about a minute or two before freezing again for another 10-15 seconds.

Also, every time I fired up the station it sounded like a jet engine taking off... I took it apart and cleaned out the fan and now it nice and quiet, but still keeps hanging. Games are starting to hang too now, Been playing SR3 and if I hit select to get to the map it can take 15 seconds to load, however If I load the game up and leave the console for 30 minutes it hardly hangs when playing, and not just SR3, every game I play does the same.

She is 3 years old (260gb I think) Have done tons of research and everything points towards thermal paste being sh*t? Sony told me to do a full restore as might be a SW glitch, but If I do that I will lose some save files (I have backed up most saves but a few games will only let me back up if I get that sh*tty PS +)

So... anything can you think of? Or am I going to have to restore and then maybe buy a new one?

Raindancer_5.gif

Prometheus

The HDD could be the problem. Does the same thing happens when playing a demo or anything off the HDD?

3lIXKDi.png

Raindancer
The HDD could be the problem. Does the same thing happens when playing a demo or anything off the HDD?

Yep, got some games from the store and they hang too.

• Like 1
Raindancer_5.gif

Prometheus

Yep, got some games from the store and they hang too.

Try Restore File System [use this guide], the only thing it deletes is the corrupt system files from the HDD. Just make sure it's Restore File System, not the PS3 one.

Edited by PrometheusX
3lIXKDi.png

Raindancer

Thanks,

No joy sad.gif

Execute safe mode when the PS3™ is experiencing the following symptoms:

When the PS3™ system is started up, the XMB™ menu is not displayed (only the wave screen background appears)

When the PS3™ system is started up, nothing appears on the screen

When the PS3™ system is started up, a message stating [The hard disk's file system is corrupted and will be restored.] is displayed > [OK] > Restore operation > Restart

Original message is displayed again or the system stops during restoration.

When the PS3™ system is started up, a message stating [The hard disk's database will be rebuilt.] is displayed > [OK] > Rebuild > Failure > System stops while formatting hard disk drive.

The system stops while restarting after a PS3™ system update or while updating or rebuilding the database. The situation does not improve even when the system is restarted.

EDIT

Oh I just saw something on the link that may help.... Ill do that and report back

Raindancer_5.gif

Prometheus

Did it give that error when you tried to open Safe Mode?

Because it seems that that's the only way to fix it if it's a software problem.

Edited by PrometheusX
3lIXKDi.png

Finn 7 five 11

Raindancer, if worse comes to worse you can get PS+ like you mentioned and back up all of your save files and do the Software restore.

Or put up with it.

Or buy a new PS3.

In the end the PS+ works out cheaper.

Also Try what Prometheus suggested.

Raindancer

Nope still the same, I think I will reset to factory settings and see how it goes.

Raindancer_5.gif

Finn 7 five 11
Nope still the same, I think I will reset to factory settings and see how it goes.

Make sure you back up first!

I took mine apart, I saw something that seemed a faint YLOD as I powered it on, and yeah, I bought it used on CL, but I expected it to work somewhat, The Power supply is the only good part from what I can tell. Shame. (third PS3 overall, the original 60GB model too)

My second PS3, the 40GB model from the Pawn America Outlet store had a presumably bad BluRay, it worked fine for a time, then it has been freezing up via my downloaded demos, I'm going to reformat a new drive, but in my case, two different drives were being used, since I'd upgraded to 100GB from 40Gigs

I decided to look up similar anomaly but I can't really find any, I seem to recall in the Game Chat section, some people were mentioning Firmware foul ups if you went with a particular revision, being advised to skip that. Sony seems to muck things up with firmware upgrades, for PSP it was much the same thing, once updated, you had no way to UNPATCH the system. Nice! hahaha

Jailbreak I don't know a lot about, but I think there was a measure of user control in that

Edited by Slamman

Prometheus

As finn said, make sure to back up. I think it's in system settings. smile.gif

3lIXKDi.png

i'm right too    /\

You are right in the sense that what you say may well be true, that some people on some forums think it was a firmware error. But we had to plough through a lot of unnecessary anecdotal verbage, just to find the point of what you are talking about. You may like to chat about about pc stuff, but a tech support forum is not the place to do it. We like to diagnose the problem and find an answer, if we can.

I speak from my own ownership observations and research, you can't contradict hands on knowledge, So I relate repairs to what I've done and any path I would also follow, with some confidence. I got my spare drive with ultimate goal to replace the laser mech on it, for my RROD Xboxes, I have two ODDs there that I don't feel as confident repairing so I offer them to anyone who wants the challenge

Prometheus
I speak from my own ownership observations and research, you can't contradict hands on knowledge, So I relate repairs to what I've done and any path I would also follow, with some confidence. I got my spare drive with ultimate goal to replace the laser mech on it, for my RROD Xboxes, I have two ODDs there that I don't feel as confident repairing so I offer them to anyone who wants the challenge

Right, but did you know how to repair the problem RainDancer posted?

3lIXKDi.png

I'm suggesting some strange freezing on my end, I don't have HIS machine, I have mine, get it?! That's always how I post a helpful reply is based on what I've come across using the same...or similar