Can GTA V's hype beat GTA IV's?

Apollo_33

Yes, if you were here when the trailer was released, it was HELL!, you had "noobie" gta fans (People who started GTA with IV or SA) joining left and right, you also had a hella lot of leaks and retarded topics. suicidal.gif  (I can post some of the retarded topic titles on request.)

Basicly Vanzant already said it. (GTA V has already beaten IV in terms of hype.)

You weren't here when the trailer was released. monocle.gif

Bro, I was here at GTAForums (As a lurker) back when people were talking about ufos and bigfoot sightings in GTA SA. (That had to be around 2006-08) dozingoff.gif

The only reason that I had joined so late, was because I did not want poeple to think that I would be some "newbie" troll. AKA the people who join GTAForums just to sponsor there site/youtube video or post a rickroll/trololo video about GTA V. confused.gif

And you were only 7 in 2006..

And you'll get a taste of my ass whooping machine if you don't stick to the topic and leave the personal sh*t out of it. confused.gif

Anyway I can't say atm to be honest. I think hype will be off the chart once R* get into full swing GTA V mode.

this. since November my hype has dropped radially, heck i'm even considering skipping V, but i'm sure that once we get more info i'll be as bat sh*t crazy as the next guy.

Trust me. Anyone considering not buying GTA V will quickly change their mind if they visit this forum regularly when more info comes.

Trust me. smile.gif

vijay.genius1
Yes, if you were here when the trailer was released, it was HELL!, you had "noobie" gta fans (People who started GTA with IV or SA) joining left and right, you also had a hella lot of leaks and retarded topics. suicidal.gif  (I can post some of the retarded topic titles on request.)

Basicly Vanzant already said it. (GTA V has already beaten IV in terms of hype.)

You weren't here when the trailer was released. monocle.gif

Bro, I was here at GTAForums (As a lurker) back when people were talking about ufos and bigfoot sightings in GTA SA. (That had to be around 2006-08) dozingoff.gif

The only reason that I had joined so late, was because I did not want poeple to think that I would be some "newbie" troll. AKA the people who join GTAForums just to sponsor there site/youtube video or post a rickroll/trololo video about GTA V. confused.gif

And you were only 7 in 2006..

And you'll get a taste of my ass whooping machine if you don't stick to the topic and leave the personal sh*t out of it. confused.gif

Anyway I can't say atm to be honest. I think hype will be off the chart once R* get into full swing GTA V mode.

Phew..dont be hostile Mr.miamivicecity..I didnt troll or swear.Did I?Look ..i dont have any personal problem with GTAction99.I just stated the fact that there was no way a seven year old could have been wise enough to distinguish between the noobs and the pros..the newbies and the older gta fans etc..nothin personal with anybody

Anyways on topic:GTAV definitely has 'outhyped' GTA IV

That's all you had to say to begin with. Sorry, but I can't stand it when someone brings up someone else's age in attempt to be a smart ass, but anyway we'll leave it at that.

Edited by Miamivicecity

vijay.genius1

That's all you had to say to begin with. Sorry, but I can't stand it when someone brings up someone else's age in attempt to be a smart ass.

Okay..Sorry for being off topic..I aint even a smartass.I just felt like writing that down.,sorry

Official General

I was very hyped for GTA IV, I thought it looked incredible, and I just could not wait to explore the very realistically made New York-based, Liberty City. Plus the immigrant theme and featured characters all looked very interesting. I was crazy hyped for IV at the time!

I think GTA V is more hyped than IV in general, simply because Rockstar have taken so long to announce it and release a first trailer. They are taking even longer to release another trailer for V, which getting people even more hyped and driving them crazy (I mean look the dumb topics we've been getting on here recently). For me personally, my hype for V has gone down since the first trailer because there has been such a long wait for info, and I don't know who the protagonist will be. I am also a bit concerned the protagonist might be someone I don't want (the Ned Luke Guy).

My hype is more of concern and anticipation.

Edited by Official General

The admins should give us users permission to delete our own posts.

Edited by SL1DE
G1T

I was very hyped for GTA IV, I thought it looked incredible, and I just could not wait to explore the very realistically made New York-based, Liberty City. Plus the immigrant theme and featured characters all looked very interesting. I was crazy hyped for IV at the time!

I think GTA V is more hyped than IV in general, simply because Rockstar have taken so long to announce it and release a first trailer. They are taking even longer to release another trailer for V, which getting people even more hyped and driving them crazy (I mean look the dumb topics we've been getting on here recently). For me personally, my hype for V has gone down since the first trailer because there has been such a long wait for info, and I don't know who the protagonist will be. I am also a bit concerned the protagonist might be someone I don't want (the Ned Luke Guy).

The way I look at it General is although people are growing tired of the wait we really know NOTHING about GTA V other than the basic details. We still have a lot to look forward to like who the protagonist is, gameplay features and all that.

People may not feel it so much now, but it'll all be worth it in the long run. It's like a neverending night before Christmas. smile.gif

R* know it's been a long wait and while some people think they don't care about us I have no doubt they'll make it up to us for being so patient.

Edited by Miamivicecity

MiamiVice1984

Atleast to me GTA V hype is kinda dead at the moment since they havent given us any new info for about 7 months.

Official General

The way I look at it General is although people are growing tired of the wait we really know NOTHING about GTA V other than the basic details. We still have a lot to look forward to like who the protagonist is, gameplay features and all that.

People may not feel it so much now, but it'll all be worth it in the long run. It's like a neverending night before Christmas. smile.gif

R* know it's been a long wait and while some people think they don't care about us I have no doubt they'll make it up to us for being so patient.

Don't get me wrong Miami, I'm still very excited for it, it's just that my hype has died down due to the lack of infor, and more importantly, my concerns about who the protagonist might be.

I personally am more hyped about GTA V than IV (maybe because of the likelyhood of a concurrent PC release). I feel the next few trailers will show us V will be a gameplay revolution, not a graphics revolution like IV and that will get people pumped. If it manages to combine the graphics and story evolution that GTA IV was with the scale and freedom that GTA:SA offered than I have no doubt in the end it will have blown IV completely out of the water. Still to compare the hype you need to keep in mind that the internet wasn't as big in 2006 as it is now. Now internet is even more a part of more people's lives and there's more avenues to get people excited.

this. since November my hype has dropped radially, heck i'm even considering skipping V, but i'm sure that once we get more info i'll be as bat sh*t crazy as the next guy.

Stop fooling yourself, in your heart you know you would never skip a main GTA game biggrin.gif

RomansMoobs
I don't remember being this hyped for IV. San Andreas was another story... I still remember the day I bought it. inlove.gif

I remember getting 3 over all of them. Second was 4 though, just because of the physics and size of the map. Totally unheard of at the time. I think 5 is going to be more anticipated because 4 was so good.

FortunateSon
I don't remember being this hyped for IV. San Andreas was another story... I still remember the day I bought it.  inlove.gif

I remember getting 3 over all of them. Second was 4 though, just because of the physics and size of the map. Totally unheard of at the time. I think 5 is going to be more anticipated because 4 was so good.

For me, it was GTA Advance. It's the only one I truly remember getting. I was like Shockstar, you're the best! panic.gifpanic.gifpanic.gif

WhiskeyFoxtrot

The question is, will GTA 5 be the CoD killer? As someone else mentioned, Call of Duty was nowhere near as popular as it is now when GTA IV was released. I have my money on GTA 5 being a major hit if not dethroning CoD.

xAvenged7x

I think it will, if they would only release new information..

There's no debate to me that V has generated far more hype and anxiousness than IV did. I think people were more hyped for SA than they were for IV to be honest. I think the Borat accent and dreary city didn't turn people on as much as sunny LS is doing for V. Nerd boners galore

I remember all the videos leading up to IV:

Packie:

Vlad:

Roman:

Karen Dilettante:

Whiz:

This is what made the build up so big for me, since IV, Rockstar have had the same person explain things about the game like:

Red Dead:

L.A Noire:

Max Payne:

For these games to an extent its good because either they were completely different for next gen consoles or were completely new in L.A Noire's case however if they continue this with V the hype for me will be spoiled (but only in comparison to IV). The best thing was Rockstar not directly telling us how the game works but showing various background features of the game so when you first play it you have no idea what to expect but when you see an advert, car or character you kinda know a bit about them. We all know what GTA is so hopefully they won't feel the need to explain it. I think though the hype atm is higher than V due to the mystery, expectations and wait of the game.

Capricornus

Listen, the location in which GTA V will be set, alone is enough to push the hype for this game over GTA IV's. Alot of people felt as though GTA IV's Liberty City, while still brilliantly done, was too "gray" and boring. As seen in the trailer, GTA V looks very bright and exciting, and not as dark as GTA IV. I personally am a lot more hyped with GTA V than I was with GTA IV, even in the duration of this time without any information.

You also have to take into consideration the high expectations from fans of this game. A lot of people were very disappointed with GTA IV, and they fell as though R* have, and probably will, see where the messed up with GTA IV and correct it and enhance it. All in all, the hype with GTA V will be in a class of its own and much greater than the great GTA IV.

caprisig.jpg

It could get better hype yeah, but they'd have to spend double the amount on advertising. Like serious adveritising.. Blimps flying internationally with pictures of the protags face.

rare.steak

It already has. As if SA didn't mark GTA as possibly the best selling franchise of its generation, IV, despite being the only instalment current-gen, absolutely shot GTA to a meteoric rise to mainstream fame along with the franchise's usual, critical acclaim.

So if anything and that R* continues to give us such quality, with each instalment you can only imagine the exponential growth in the franchise's popularity and hype for each sequel as they come.

I couldn't have imagined just how hyped V (or whatever it could have been named) would be back in 2007 when I was on the edge of my seat for every bit of IV info, but here we are.

GTAknowledge
It already has. As if SA didn't mark GTA as possibly the best selling franchise of its generation, IV, despite being the only instalment current-gen, absolutely shot GTA to a meteoric rise to mainstream fame along with the franchise's usual, critical acclaim.

So if anything and that R* continues to give us such quality, with each instalment you can only imagine the exponential growth in the franchise's popularity and hype for each sequel as they come.

But San Andreas sold more than IV? So wouldn't that mean IV has lost ground for the GTA series?

rare.steak

But San Andreas sold more than IV? So wouldn't that mean IV has lost ground for the GTA series?

We have piracy to thank for that, and the incredible sales success of the PS2 of course.

Edit: Where can I find the total figure of IV anyway? Wiki figures really feel outdated.

GTAknowledge

We have piracy to thank for that, and the incredible sales success of the PS2 of course.

Edit: Where can I find the total figure of IV anyway? Wiki figures really feel outdated.

Piracy does not equal a sale?

SA sold more copies than GTA IV and all it's DLC combined. And most people agree SA was the better overall game. IMO, with GTA IV the franchise went backwards. Smaller map, less things to do etc. The only major improvement was graphics.

SA Sales (23 million):

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=san+andreas

IV + DLC Sales (19 Million):

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Grand+Theft+Auto+IV

What people seam to be neglecting here is that hype does not equal what happens with the game after it comes out. The only real way to measure hype is to check preorder sales. Since we can't do that until the game comes out, we can only compare GTAs 1 through EfLC/BoGT hype so far. Thus, without looking at the numbers, I have a feeling that IV was the most hyped GTA yet, and V has a chance to be more so.

You also gotta keep in mind GTAIV is a whole lot harder to pirate then GTA SA. If all those who pirated SA would have bought it there would be an even greater difference.

On topic, no. I do not believe GTAV's hype is going to beat GTAIV's. A lot of people seem to hope for the three cities from SA, but unfortunately it will be just Los Santos and some countryside. The biggest hype for this game is because the city is Los Santos and Los Santos was in SA.

GTAIV however was the first next-gen GTA. Nobody knew what to expect but everyone knew it was gonna be awesome. Now we've got an idea of what a next-gen GTA looks like, so we'll be less surprised when GTAV comes around the corner.

lets put it this way:

¨Most users ever online was 6,238 on Wednesday, Nov 2 2011, 16:20¨

I think GTA V is going to be very big, maybe not beating CoD, but still

rare.steak

Piracy does not equal a sale?

SA sold more copies than GTA IV and all it's DLC combined. And most people agree SA was the better overall game. IMO, with GTA IV the franchise went backwards. Smaller map, less things to do etc. The only major improvement was graphics.

SA Sales (23 million):

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=san+andreas

IV + DLC Sales (19 Million):

http://www.vgchartz.com/gamedb/?name=Grand+Theft+Auto+IV

My point is piracy reduced the sales.

And we were talking about popularity not which game was most loved. SA remains my favourite GTA by far and one of my all time favourite games.

Oh and I was going to mention vgchartz too but apparently they're not credible. Still, I do refer to their site sometimes...

SA was pirated too so your point = bullsh*t. And really now "most loved" is another word for popularity. So you were going to mention that website too, but now that you've found out that they're not favorable to your opinion you've decided they're not credible. Wow.