What do you miss in gaming?

trip

Another thing that's ruining gaming is multiplayer. No FPS made me feel so involved like COD 3. Multiplayer and a good story make the game fun, but now it seems like the developers think the games are fun because they have multiplayer.

To be honest they're going to keep adding new things into These games like CoD, Battfield etc... Theyre going to run out of Button space. all consoles will end.

That why im going to pc, Where I can choose from a range of buttons for my liking biggrin.gif

G1T

That why im going to pc, Where I can choose from a range of buttons for my liking biggrin.gif

Not to mention the ability to map keys to you maximum comfort positions.

Although, I see more and more voice recognition in console games(xbox) these days, so maybe some of those buttons and combo buttons will soon be replaced with voice recognition mapped to actions.

I too miss how simple and hard older games were. Games of this current get seem to hold your hand too much. I miss the days of having to hunt around an area for hours looking for an exit, or even junt a key to an exit. It seems that now-a-days games just point out everything you need to know or interact with.

To go back a bit further. I kind of miss the instant celerity status you could gain by having a few people stand behind you and watch as you kicked some ass and advanced levels on an old arcade machine.

Bearing in mind my first computer was a BBC Micro (mid 80's), and then I progressed onto a PC then NES, Gameboy (original brick, yellow and black screen), SNES, back to PC and stuck there ever since.

A few things I miss are simplicity in games, games a way back were simple, now that might sound stupid, but simplicity works. Most games these days are trying to be too complicated, smart and clever, what happened to just playing a game for the sake of playing a game.

Complexity, now this sound like I'm contradicting myself, but games had complexity, but complexity in their puzzles and how to progress in a game etc, these days games have that complexity, but they are muddying it all up with so many extras that you can't get the original main thread of the game straight.

Now this is a biggie, but I seriously miss simple graphics, while a lot of games these days can look ultra-realistic and graphically serious eye-candy which isn't a complaint it's progress, but for me a lot of games especially First Peron Shooters are just far, far too graphically intense that you just cannot see what you are meant to be looking/shooting at. There is too much debris and extra tat thrown into the maps which just wouldn't be there anyway that it looks messy and distracting. This is probably why a system like the Wii has become popular because it's not so graphically intense.

wZVJHXg.png

LongHairedFreakyGuy

I'll just echo what everyone else has already mentioned, and say that the main thing I miss in games is the fun factor, where it seemed that games were made primarily to give the gamers the whole feeling of playing through a game and enjoying every single moment of it, no matter how sh*t the graphics were. I've stated this in many topics before, and will continue to state this as long as companies keep dishing out these ultra-realistic games, where everything in the game has to be as true to life as can be. I admit to picking these said games up, such as Battlefield and whatnot, but it doesn't mean that I don't miss the days where I could have fun on some simplistic level. For an example, I'm going to use Goldeneye on the N64. One of the most played MP levels on that game was the Temple level, which was basically just a bunch of walls, doors, and one big room that had a hole in the center, overlooking another room...yet the amount of hours I spent playing that level with 3 of my mates is unreal, and definitely doesn't match anything I've done of recent games. Having someone play as Oddjob, crouching down and slapping you in the legs, whilst you were playing as Jaws, was one perfect example of fun. To carry on with the Goldeneye experience, the amount of cheats that became unlockable for the MP experience just added to the hours of fun that could be had...then mix this with the AR cheats, and nothing could beat it.

I understand that graphics have evolved, and the companies are trying to make the most of this, but why does this mean that they have to make everything so true-to-life? Why can't they spend hours on creating some massive, original map where anything is possible? The amount of times that I went in to the 360 topic and asked people to recommend me some massive, fun, open-world games that were similiar to games such as Zelda, Banjo Kazooie, etc... is unreal, and at the end of the day, I never was given much choice in answer to this. Back in the day, I could find these types of games in the mass, and never had trouble finding a fun game that I could play for hours.

It seems that these days, companies are too scared to bring the fun factor into their games, and many series are dropping from my favourites because of this. An example of this would have to the SSX series, at which I found at the Tricky stage. A game I spent many hours on, and never had a dull moment, apart from some of the harder tracks throughout the campaign. Then SSX3 came along, and it seemed to be too linear for my liking...but this changed with On Tour, where the whole factor was brought back into the game, from the style of the game itself, to the gameplay and whatnot. Then this new SSX, which I have yet to play, but seemed yet again to be going for realism, by adding in 'realistic environments' mixed with some Tricky elements.

This is the whole reason I was a massive fan of Ninty and their consoles. Many of the games that came out for these consoles were just purely made for the fun that they involved, because they knew the consoles couldn't handle ultra-realism, so instead went for fun. I'd love for this to happen again, and it's my current wish for the Wii U...

As mentioned, games these days seem to be made just purely for the profit that can be made, and always set to deadlines, which is where all these updates come from. Back in the day, if a game had a bug/fault in it, then nothing could be done about it, apart from correct it maybe and re-shelve the new edition, as we saw with No Mercy on the 64.

I'm still a fan of this current gen of gaming, but purely because I love seeing how far they can push the graphics, but as I stated, I still miss the days when I picked a game up and knew that I could spend hours on it, and have fun every minute of the game.

Adam Jensen

Old school cheat codes, bots, LAN and actual expansion packs. Games that focus on fun instead of a "cinematic experience". Games are supposed to offer us something different from Hollywood god damn it.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
Old school cheat codes

One of the points I made in my post, but yeah, I miss games that gave you actual cheat codes that could be used in certain modes of the game. The example I used was for Goldeneye, and some of the cheats were ones that I stuck on nearly 100% of the time, yet never in any way did they change how the game played overall, but just added stupid randomness into the game. The sad thing is, many times when cheats are used within a game, they tend to be from people who have hacked into the game, such as in MW2, where at one point every lobby was a hacked one, and cheaters were all over the place. Many people were complaining about it all, but I actually enjoyed getting into one of these lobbies, simply because it put some random fun in to the game. One of them was where the Javelin fired 5 missiles at the same time, and it was fun just running around and trying to avoid being hit by a hail of missiles.

Adam Jensen

I also miss games without achievements. What the f*ck do achievements add to games? It's definitely not the fun factor. Achievements are there to tell you that you have to do a certain thing in a certain way in order to be successful. So how the f*ck is that fun? And it has no place in video games. It's f*ckin' retarded. Why do people care about achievements so much? Well obviously it's because people are retarded. You know you're not actually achieving anything, right? Achievements take away a lot of freedom from playing games. Isn't it more fun to discover what you can do in a game on your own?

You know what achievements have done to gaming? They eliminated actual rewards for doing stuff. In older games when you did something cool you'd unlock something cool. A weapon maybe, or a map, or a piece of armor and something like that. Now you get an icon telling you that you did what you already f*ckin' know you did. And what was once an in-game reward, is now payed DLC in forms of small weapon and armor packs, map packs etc. There are some exceptions. But far to few to make any f*ckin' difference.

Edited by GTAvanja

LongHairedFreakyGuy
I also miss games without achievements. What the f*ck do achievements add to games? It's definitely not the fun factor. Achievements are there to tell you that you have to do a certain thing in a certain way in order to be successful. So how the f*ck is that fun? And it has no place in video games. It's f*ckin' retarded. Why do people care about achievements so much? Well obviously it's because people are retarded. You know you're not actually achieving anything, right? Achievements take away a lot of freedom from playing games. Isn't it more fun to discover what you can do in a game on your own?

You know what achievements have done to gaming? They eliminated actual rewards for doing stuff. In older games when you did something cool you'd unlock something cool. A weapon maybe, or a map, or a piece of armor and something like that. Now you get an icon telling you that you did what you already f*ckin' know you did. And the actual unlock rewards are now payed DLC in forms of small weapon and armor packs, map packs etc. There are some exceptions. But far to few to make any f*ckin' difference.

So achievements annoy you, I'm guessing? tounge.gif

Again though, I agree with your point on this subject. In earlier games, completing various 'challenges' in games meant you were rewarded with something that could actually be used within the game itself, rather than just some bragging rights to all your online friends. As you said, anything that is to be added on to games now comes with a price, rather than being a reward for something you've accomplished within the game.

Not so much 'achievements' as such, but this 100% sh*t, as seen in TLaD and AC, were absolutely pointless, and should have actually rewarded you with something in the game.

Anyway, keep making suggestions and I'll just quote you again. tounge.gif

Not much else I can say that hasn't been said already.

I guess I miss it when developers took more risks in setting new precedents and standards in video games and how we see them, and how they put emphasis on fun and just creating a good game, rather than trying to make nothing but money. It seems we have too many "safe" video games. Ones that don't do anything to re-invent the wheel except upgraded graphics and different content. Out of how many games you are currently looking forward to, how many of them are sequels? I suppose thats why I'm becoming increasingly fond of indie games. Indie games are, more often than not, creative, simple, and fun - whilst we have AAA games trying too hard and getting piss results.

<snip, good rant about "achievements">

I agree, the first question I asked when this whole achievements thing came along was "Why?", and I still ask that question yet. To me it's a big huge phallic mess, it was probably developed by those same pie-ricks who who drive around in big cars to make up for having small wangs, so they thought about ways on how to do this in a game.

But another thing that has just come to mind, is that I miss games that actually worked straight out the box, you didn't need to wait for a patch or service pack in order to play the game, and I believe this isn't just limited to the PC market anymore, another reason why I think the console market is now so muddied that this whole "We'll only release on consoles because they are more stable, but really we just think the PC is a Pirates friend, even though consoles have been hacked" way of thinking is regurgitated pap.

wZVJHXg.png

Ex Hellraiser

I miss quite a few things whether or not they are small and insignificant or not.

I miss the nice intros a lot of older PS2 games had. Nowadays you just get the developer, publisher, and the start screen. Older games also had more game modes in them. I just remember playing old NASCAR games that had give or six different modes (career, lightning challenge, quick race, etc.) A lot of new games just seem to have campaign, multilayer, and maybe a co-op thrown in. Older games also gave you more for your money. I mean, they just had more to them. Of course, new games have the great playability and all, but theres rarely a "behind the scenes" or "bonus content" in the game. You gotta pay extra for that good sh*t now. Then, 10 years ago, EA wasn't a money-sucking conglomerate as it is now. They made full, quality games, not half complete-full price games with another $50 if DLC to make it the full game it should've been...

/rant

I miss the Arcades.

Don't even get me started. Really!!!!!

Space Port, perhaps?

Putting a quarter up on the glass to stake your place in line...sweet. Being good at a game and having people hover behind you - quietly so as not to disturb...sweet.

I got the most amazing kiss while leaning into a Pac-Man machine for cover...sweet.

Even though I started this topic. Do you really want to know what I miss about gaming? I miss the arcade games at the roller skating rink. There was just something about rolling up to an Asteroids machine and playing it while being 3 inches taller.

But another thing that has just come to mind, is that I miss games that actually worked straight out the box, you didn't need to wait for a patch or service pack in order to play the game, and I believe this isn't just limited to the PC market anymore...

Games are more complex nowadays, easier to get bugs.

Yl8KS.jpg

Adam Jensen
I got the most amazing kiss while leaning into a Pac-Man machine for cover...sweet.

And my first kiss was next to a Jurassic Park pinball machine.

John The Grudge

My first console (if you can call it that) was a C64. Since then I've had a Sega Megadrive, a SNES, a 3DO (bought with my own hard earned and they were expensive), a Playstation 1 & 2 and now an XBox 360. I can honestly say that I miss nothing. Gaming today is awesome. While we're bombarded with clones and year after year of the same game, there's a few amazing games that are the absolute pinnacle of gaming.

The only thing I miss is being a kid and getting that awesome feeling when I got a new game, which wasn't that often. Nowadays I very rarely get that feeling.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
I miss the nice intros a lot of older PS2 games had. Nowadays you just get the developer, publisher, and the start screen. Older games also had more game modes in them. I just remember playing old NASCAR games that had give or six different modes (career, lightning challenge, quick race, etc.) A lot of new games just seem to have campaign, multilayer, and maybe a co-op thrown in. Older games also gave you more for your money.

I mentioned this in a rambling topic I did some months back, which was me ranting at how it seems that MP has kind of destroyed gaming to some extent. You get your solo player campaign, but then everything else seems to require you to go online and play with strangers. I understand it's better in a sense, since it means you can't just see where the other player is on the split-screen, but it's been a very long time since I've had 3 other mates round a console and played long into the night.

Online gaming is ruining gaming. If I buy a game and it's bugged, I'm f*cked if I don't have a connection to the internet. But why should the companies give a f*ck anymore? All they care about is rehashing the same game over and over, adding a few new levels/modes, and watching the money roll into their bank accounts from all the gamers who they know will just keep buying their titles.

@John - I always put that down to growing up, but maybe it is down to games just not being as great as they used to be. I used to love going into the local games store on a weekend and renting 2-3 games for N64...these days I tend to just be interested in about 2-3 games per year.

I miss the Arcades.

the funny thing is, over here, there is a arcade every 1KM

But another thing that has just come to mind, is that I miss games that actually worked straight out the box, you didn't need to wait for a patch or service pack in order to play the game, and I believe this isn't just limited to the PC market anymore...

Games are more complex nowadays, easier to get bugs.

I know they are more complex, but I'm talking about the obvious bugs and glitches that should have been picked up in even the most simplest of testing... oh wait, you mean they don't test anymore... well they might do, but sure doesn't look like it confused.gif

wZVJHXg.png

PS1

Good call cookie.gif

a bit of Resident Evil 1 until the early hours...those were the days..along with a bit of Fear Effect and Metal Gear Solid 1

As I like racing games: split screen multiplayer. Not many games have it these days.

Being able to play online and have fun instead of the constant tirade of "OHMYGAWD NOOB U CAMP HACKED ME BRUH YOUR A fa**ot I f*ckED YOUR MOM". f*cking kids.

tRSmCi4.gif

kaisersoza_66

I miss the times when games developers took chances. Granted, it was easier and cheaper to make games in the early days of the PS1. The pixel count was only a few thousand back then.

Games in general were more fun to play, anybody remember crash team racing? To some that signalled the end of crash bandicoot 'resorting to a racer'. But i had plenty of fun with the family with that. Not to mention track and field inlove.gif

Only the Wii nowadys has kept that charm.

LongHairedFreakyGuy
Only the Wii nowadys has kept that charm.

The funny thing is, the younger generation bash Nintendo and laugh at them, yet only go to show their own ignorance in doing so. Nintendo are the only company that will still try to do something new, rather than just upgrading the power of each console. N64 had carts, Gamecube had small discs, Wii had motion, and Wii U is yet again showing that they are trying something innovative and fresh. This is the sole purpose for me still being a Nintendo fan, simply because they still concentrate on giving the gamer as much fun as possible with their games, rather than concentrating on how far they can push the graphics boundary. This is also the fact that I love that they have never treaded into the world of realism, and continue with their cartonnish look with their games - it shows what their main purpose is.

• 2 weeks later...
Cole Phelps Gta
Getting the entire game when you buy it the first time.

Sadly....... THIS ^

#HEEL

You're too cowardly to even take the heat for it from the people you troll, instead running to the moderators wasting our time with sh*t you started. GTFO.

#BANHAMMER

AH64Hunter

Getting the entire game when you buy it the first time.

This and playing with people you actually know.

I hate playing online I always meet people who:

Don't even try to make a joke.

Use U instead of you.

And of course idiot troll who make no sense:

like "noob" when he did the same thing I did but worse because he had a partner.

I also miss games that have funny jokes and good original music.

Sure their are some out there but I miss Rareware cryani.gif

user posted image

Also games being very hard.

I miss the Arcades.

Agreed.

These were pretty much the best places in the world to me between the ages of 5 and 14 and I'd still seek them out off and on for many years following. Sadly, consoles have pretty much killed the industry as we knew it.