What do you miss in gaming?

trip

I think it is safe to say that all of us here have been through at least one generation of gaming. Whether it be growing up with a PS2/Xbox and then moving onto a PSP3/Xbox360 - heck, some people here have even lived through every home console since the birth of the home console market.

Even in the world of GTA we all bitch about the changes and game play styles and elements of titles in the series.

There is no denying that the game industry is and will always be evolving and changing.

My question is: What do you miss when it comes to games/gaming in the past that just doesn't seem to exist in today's gaming world?

Answer however you see fit. If you think it was more gameplay over realism, then say that. It you miss the smell of the creepy old guy leaning over the cabinet as you played Q*bert at the arcade, then say that.

I really didn't want to start out with my own example at the risk of doing the old gamer thing, but then I thought maybe I should.

I miss the imagination that was needed and required to make a game great.

This game was great. No sh*t...everyone wanted it, and everyone loved it.

user posted image

The thing is the game above is like an old version of this:

user posted image

Not much imagination needed anymore. The little yellow dot that you would imagine as a strong knight with a shield and sword has been replaced with an ultra-realistic knight(kind of person) with a real shield and sword.

Harwood Butch3r

I really miss split screen multiplayer. Admittedly some games still have it, but they're far and few between. I kind of look at online multiplayer like Facebook.

I feel less connected to people I know online compared to the old days when most games still had split screen mulitplayer. I'd be at my mates' place all the time after school if they got a new game and couldn't wait to play it with them.

Well I didn't quite understand the post but as far as viewed in the context of the "missing part" in games compared to past, I wish today's games offered the social aspect with more realism and differently, just like being able to hold a conversation with few NPC and not just stick mission-to-mission scripted events. More life put into gaming world. High Graphics is awesome, but still need some work in making them believable instead of making visual impressive setting with no soul and feel to it.

Some example of the past games that lack good graphics but great atmosphere and game play along side - Kingpin Life of crime, Hidden and Dangerous, Vietcong, Max Payne 1, Mafia 1 and many more classics.

Many of the older games were simple in terms of both graphics and gameplay which I somehow find good at times. Maybe it's because I don't really care so much this "realism" thing. I guess I do care sometimes but it's not the most important thing for me. Even today I prefer Mario Kart over more advanced Racing games. And the older Tony Hawk games over the newer ones and the EA Skate series. Also, I really didn't like the ultra-realism thing with standing on a board playing Tony Hawk games. They made two games that were like this. That is to take the "realism" too far. I don't like this. In GTA IV they focused too much on realism although I'm aware of that maybe 70% disagree with me.

And like someone wrote above, there was something special with the split creen multiplayer system. Also, I personally think some of the older games are more challenging than the newer ones and there is more nostalgia in a Nintendo NES game for example. (Well, obviously since NES Games are retro games).

Net Yaroze.

Back in the 1990's the official Playstation magazine contained on its demo disc a full Net Yaroze game. Now, these were games that people had made themselves using a special black Playstation and they were truly impressive. But have a look for yourselves!

This is my favourite one, Haunted Maze. I wish they could find a way to put them on the PSN store, so all of us could play them at our leisure.

Oh, and I always adored the surrealist bent the games of yesteryear once had. Now it's all sci-fi and first person shooters.

What about these gems?

Edited by Typhus

jackass2009

I really miss split screen multiplayer. Admittedly some games still have it, but they're far and few between. I kind of look at online multiplayer like Facebook.

I feel less connected to people I know online compared to the old days when most games still had split screen mulitplayer. I'd be at my mates' place all the time after school if they got a new game and couldn't wait to play it with them.

This.

I don't like how every single video game out there is a story about the character's inner conflicts or some bullsh*t, and all the fun is being drained out of it because of the plot. (Max Payne doesn't count because Max Payne without the compelling story is Generic Third Person Shooter with Cool Ideas) Am I the only one who noticed they put it in the title of almost every game nowadays?

Hitman: Absolution, Splinter Cell: Conviction, it's sequel, Splinter Cell: Retribution, Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted: Drake's Deception, Assassin's Creed: Revelations, et cetera. I hope I'm making sense to somebody.

Aside from that, the fun really feels like it's being taken out and shot when compared to some of the more recent games.

Benjimino234

Seems that games have lost that sort of charm and innocence for a younger gamer to appreciate and have memories of. I remember I used to play good ol' platformers, kart racing games, arcade racers, Tony Hawk's... and fighters when I turned older. Guns and realistic violence seems to be more present and it seems to be first encounter with gaming for most of the younger audience. Also that local split screen fun, local multiplayer always seems to be more fun than separate gaming over the Internet.

I miss when "achievements" were unlocking features in a game, and when those features didn't cost extra to use as dlc... That's what I miss. I miss actual "tangible" reward which has been replaced with dlc in favor of money and "achievements".

I believe this is likely a popular thing to miss, once pointed out, that that's what happened.

AlQ6bG7.png

I miss the innocent fun that used to be with me when I played video-games. However, that has changed with my age and maturity rather then actual games themselves.

However I do miss local multiplayer and I hate this f*cking DLC culture. Used right, DLC's can be fantastic ways to expand upon great games however the majority of the time there just bullsh*t like 4 maps for £10, So I pay a quarter of the price for f*cking 4 messily maps. Even worse is when the content is made already, on the f*cking disk but they still charge DLC to unlock it. Exclusive pre-order offers can go f*ck right off as well. The old way the shop might give some incentive to pre-order and thats fine but when they just give certain content of the actual games to certain shops it just f*cks me right off.

user posted image

I'd like to see developers nowadays getting away with all this DLC crap 20 years ago when they had cartilages, the lazy c*nts.

nightwalker83

Yeah, the days before Windows 95 were some of the best when it came to gaming in my opinion.

For myself I just really miss the classic PS2 era RPG's like Suikoden and RTS fair like Final Fantasy Tactics and Vandal Hearts. Now we only get watered down, straight to Nintendo DS ports or half hearted attempts like Vandal Hearts - Flames of Judgement on LIVE Market Place that didn't end up even being a shadow of the previous installment. Suikoden I and II in particular had a charm to them I've always remembered. The 108 Stars of Destiny are also a legitmate Chinese Taoist legend of sorts so it resonated with me on a personal level.

The 108 Stars of Destiny (天導一百零八星) are at the core of the plot of the Chinese classic Shui Hu Zhuan (水滸傳), commonly translated as Water Margin, Outlaws of the Marsh, or All Men Are Brothers, written by Shi Nai'an during the 14th century. Suikoden (水滸伝) is a Japanese translation for Shui Hu Zhuan which has been made into a series of role-playing video games. Based on the Taoist concept that each person's destiny is tied to a Star of Destiny (宿星), the 108 Stars of Destiny are stars that represent 108 demonic overlords who have been banished by the Taoist sage, Shang Ti. Having repented since their banishment, the stars are released from their place of banishment by accident, and are reborn in the world as 108 heroes who band together for the cause of justice.

Discovering all the combination special attacks of the 108 people you would go around collecting was a lot of fun.

In many cases characters would have multiple Groups they could plug into for special unified attacks.

Suikoden II was groundbreaking in the fact that it actually allowed you to carry over your save data from the previous game and allowed the original hero to join the protaganist of part II if you made the right choices in the first game. That's right, kiddos. A full decade before Mass Effect someone came up with this very good idea to have actual legitimate continuity between game installments.

The minigames and large scale RTS style battles were a lot of fun as well. The quality of these two RPG's cannot be understated, while AAA titles of the time like Resident Evil and Final Fantasty 7 can be purchased today for anywhere between $5 to 20 dollars, original copies of these games fall betwen $150 to $250 dollars.

The series dipped a bit in quality with the 3rd installment as they dropped the save data option, possibly because of the console jump forward to the PS2 but they did keep the art style and many of the continuous characters that made the initial games enjoyable.

With all the high end, technical stuff I'm infatuated with today gaming wise, I'd still sit patiently and happily grind through a true update to this series.

Edited by meta187

I had to say ps2 ear for me was defiantly better for me in terms of consoles. I had the xbox and ps2 and while we had the upsides of online the dlc was sparse. It was still very much what came on the disc. With the advance of high speed broadband and huge mods became more accessible. Instead of the publishers/developers letting them co-exists with big DLC's they didn't want competition from people who did big mods for free just for the sake of creation and testing there skill so the best way to combat that is just to kill it off. There is also the fact you can't police mods without a relatively large costs as you don't ten year old Johnny download some nude skins out of curiosity, also Sony/Mircosoft would have to either open there system up which for many reasons is not going to happen. However I believe this is more of a convenience for a lot of the Publishers/Developers , gives them an easy rule over all extra content.

user posted image

Dragonjack

Grand theft auto III sad.gif I miss playing that game SOoOo much!

user posted image

Exkabewbikadid

I totally get the whole loss of imagination dilemma that goes with the advancement of gaming. As a child, the first system I had was an nes. Playing games like SMB, Paperboy, etc. I'd think to myself, "What if I could go here or there and do this or that?" I always liked imagining outside a game's limits.

I went most of my teens without playing games with the exception of a few pc games such as Prince of Persia, Wolfenstein, etc. in junior high, but I just really wasn't much into gaming to keep doing it for long. I got a PS in 2000 and played the sh*t out of NFS for a while, but it wasn't until July 2001 when I stumbled upon Max Payne that I was pulled back into the world of games. I was blown away by it, not just by the great story and gameplay, but also by all of the subtleties, tricks and easter eggs buried in the gameplay.

I got III for pc on release day and after booting it up for the first time, it was like watching my childhood fantasies of having no boundaries come to life on my monitor. If you had the will to get anywhere on the map, you could find a way. Want to get to the other islands and collect all hidden packages before completing the first mission? It's tricky, but possible. For me the 3D era was the pinnacle of letting my imagination run wild.

When IV came along, it was kind of a mixed bag. As much as I enjoyed exploring the new LC, it just didn't have the same incentive to let my imagination run wild like with the previous games. You can get on the other islands with a full wanted level at the start, but there was nothing worth finding like hidden packages that rewarded you with stuff or a wide variety of powerful weapons to make the attempt worthwhile. Instead I entertained myself by shoving peds over ledges or down flights of stairs or playing windshield cannon with Niko and peds. Fun for a while, but it became predictable without really invoking my imagination. The most fun I found at the beginning of the game was finding a gun and armor, then heading to the airport to kill cops so I could get the combat rifle from the start. But the game quickly became more about me following the character's story rather than finding the incentive to do whatever the hell I wanted. Still a great game, but the spirit of III had faded a bit. I have high hopes that V will revive that spirit and take it to a new level.

But what I miss most from the old days? Funky 8-bit music of course.

oQywcQM.jpg

nightwalker83

Yeah, Paperboy was fun, I liked the Addams Family, The Karate Kid II, Silk Worm, Double Dragon, Monopoly, Uninvited and Dejavu. I am sure I have missed a lot more but I can't remember the names of them at the moment.

One theory I have is that maybe the gamers from that era have just gotten older, and just don't have that amount of imagination anymore.

I could be very wrong though.

I miss being able to buy a game and actually get the whole game and not have half it locked out as DLC. DLC is NOT the future of gaming, it's a cheap way of getting more money and screwing fans over. If you're going to make DLC, either make it something worth a shlt or put it on a disc (ala EFLC).

I miss being able to actually unlock things in games. That's pretty much gone now thanks to DLC. I remember killing 53,594 zombies in Dead Rising and earning the Mega Buster. Nowadays, it'd just be DLC. I f*cking hate this shlt.

Axed

Originality and innovation in gaming has gotten harder and harder.

When I used to go: "HOLY sh*t WHAT THE f*ck BITCHES MOST AWESOME sh*t EVER."

Now it's mainly upgrades which lead to responses like: "Yeah, pretty cool".

And of course making original games (both gameplay and storyline) is getting harder and harder because almost everything has been done before (either that or most developers just like copying).

What other people said is true as well, downloadable content, horrible feature. I miss the expansion packs which add entire storylines and upgraded half the game. Then again I hate all this non-physical games which can only be downloaded, too many sh*t indie games around instead of a few developers that actually turn into something because they're overlooked by the other million crappy indie game developers.

thatstupidbug

i miss some of the fun of older games...

i don't mind a little bit of realism, but sometimes it's like they can't have some fun... a couple of examples:

1) fifa 98 had an indoor stadium with over the top matches, fifa 99 had special kind of matches (like "the first to score X goals win"), fifa 2002 had a couple of funny clips (like this

)...

now the modern fifas are very boring and "realistic", no fun at all... i don't like PES, but i love the funny side of that game (like the dog-shaped head, or the different kind of balls)

2) wwe games: WWE games, up to here comes the pain are full of funny stuffs (try to play a backstage match, you can even jump from an helicopter in HCTP, or being crushed by a subway train in SYM). now it's only "realism", with few matches and few "unrealistic" moves

What other people said is true as well, downloadable content, horrible feature. I miss the expansion packs which add entire storylines and upgraded half the game. Then again I hate all this non-physical games which can only be downloaded, too many sh*t indie games around instead of a few developers that actually turn into something because they're overlooked by the other million crappy indie game developers.

Thats what comes with any independent market. Course there will be load of sh*t games but hell there a lot of good ingenious games around. Look at the app store, I don't care if windows phones or whatever phones had app stores first. Apples truly revolutionized the phone and since its independent theres a lot of crap going about but with the Internet available its not exactly hard to wade through the crap top the gold.

user posted image

Here's a question, whatever happened to platformers and beat-em-ups? Those genres seem to have completely died.

Here's a question, whatever happened to platformers and beat-em-ups? Those genres seem to have completely died.

There are still quite a few platformers, but no where near the number during the previous generations. 2D platformers are a dime a dozen on PC. 3D ones are harder to find, I can only think of the Ratchet and Clank on the PS3, and the Mario games on the Wii.

DVf9mQs.png

Formerly known as The General

Recently bought both of the most recent Batman games on Steam for sale, Arkham Asylum and City, and I realized how commonplace that kind of gameplay used to be. The action-adventure genre that dominated the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox as well as the N64 era has all but died out in games that aren't paragons of modern entertainment (the only modern games I can think of that manage to accomplish that depth are the Batman games and Deus Ex: HR). I miss it so much.

Finn 7 five 11
I got III for pc on release day and after booting it up for the first time, it was like watching my childhood fantasies of having no boundaries come to life on my monitor. If you had the will to get anywhere on the map, you could find a way. Want to get to the other islands and collect all hidden packages before completing the first mission? It's tricky, but possible. For me the 3D era was the pinnacle of letting my imagination run wild.

When IV came along, it was kind of a mixed bag. As much as I enjoyed exploring the new LC, it just didn't have the same incentive to let my imagination run wild like with the previous games. You can get on the other islands with a full wanted level at the start, but there was nothing worth finding like hidden packages that rewarded you with stuff or a wide variety of powerful weapons to make the attempt worthwhile. Instead I entertained myself by shoving peds over ledges or down flights of stairs or playing windshield cannon with Niko and peds. Fun for a while, but it became predictable without really invoking my imagination. The most fun I found at the beginning of the game was finding a gun and armor, then heading to the airport to kill cops so I could get the combat rifle from the start. But the game quickly became more about me following the character's story rather than finding the incentive to do whatever the hell I wanted. Still a great game, but the spirit of III had faded a bit. I have high hopes that V will revive that spirit and take it to a new level.

But what I miss most from the old days? Funky 8-bit music of course.

This is me exactly, i did the same thing as you in IV, and then TBOGT came out i rampaged in the APC for a while.

I miss the innocent fun that used to be with me when I played video-games. However, that has changed with my age and maturity rather then actual games themselves.

This quote too, i miss those days very sorely, i could play GTA III all day long doing whatever i wanted, IV was a little different in that way, there was less to do and the physics made a lot of things you could do before nowhere near as fun.

What I miss most? - probably the excitement of a new game like when I was a teenager - but that is my age speaking biggrin.gif

Started out with gaming on ZX Spectrum 48k - the game play qualities of that were immense - but what was lagging behind was graphics and freedom within games that we have now taken for granted

Went through multitude of consoles but always felt still, something was missing

The PS2 was a good machine but i felt very limited due to lack of Harddrive - never had a XBox but always felt Halo was worth buying a console for that alone - still play Combat Evolved Halo online to this day

Only game on Nintendo I liked was Goldeneye cos of multiplayer - great fun!

That was until I started PC gaming - That was finally the point that I got exactly what I was looking for since the early 1980's

Not got a PS3 or an XBox360 so can't really comment on how console gamers feel about this - would be interesting to hear

Kids now are soooo lucky with what type of hardware / games they are able to play and take as the norm

For us old timers..just imagine if your 1st experience of gaming was sneaking on your dad's computer / console and playing

GTA IV for the 1st time - it would just blow you away

Edited by marmoo