Is GTA the biggest game in the world?

showtime416

showtime416

I'm curious to find out what you guys have to say on this, me I think the GTA franchise is definitely, the most popular and biggest game in the world. I know a few might say COD has this title currently, but COD is a game for the multiplayer experience typically with an average story at best. GTA franchise has come to be possibly the most controversial, and most acclaimed franchise to date (no fan-boyism just being honest). So what do you guys think, do you think, when V is being released it will be one of the biggest releases world-wide, it has come to being an event, people take sick-days from work, and kids cut school to play it (I speak from experience lol). Or is the hype purely due to us North-Americans?

On a side note: I also think due to V being the biggest game in the world is the reason why T2 pushed back Bioshock, because they know Bioshock yes would be a great game, but on a global level could it result in the same sales as V? No way!

No, I think one of those sh*tty FPS appeal to the masses more than GTA, GTA is definitely up there though

No, I think one of those sh*tty FPS appeal to the masses more than GTA, GTA is definitely up there though

Could not have said it any better.

For a game that does not release annually, it has to be the most successful, right?

It's definately the biggest game in terms of attention it gets not only from gamers but from the media as well. It's definately the most anticipated game at the moment.

I do also hope that it'll be the biggest game in terms of scale, even bigger than just cause, bigger than anything! Would be amazing smile.gif

The best way to discover is by the terms of sales and profits made by the series. If GTA has made more income off GTA IV than all of the CoDs inbetween, then yes it is.

However the fact that GTA games are spaced out over long waiting periods then they are definitely more admired by fans seeing as they are ready for their next adventure and they are not over saturated with a number of yearly quick-buck cash-ins.

Also the quality of each GTA has always been top notch (well bar their PC ports colgate.gif ) because they have one of the few development teams left in the world that do not get pressured into trying to be #1 by following current trends such as making it more action packed and adding co-op for the sake of it nor do they feel the need to try to rush the finished product for a deadline which always dramatically affect the finished quality. (Skyrim)

To be honest, it's hard to be definite because the gaming media always does favourtise the big brands over the smaller new IPs and i'm sure publisher payments have a major influence over coverage as well.

huevos_benedicto_180

For the past few years Call of Duty has been the biggest game in the world. Unfortunately, of course, but to say otherwise is quite ignorant.

GTA has the best free roam atmosphere for me, and you play the role of a guy (depends on the gta game) and control all aspects of what he does and his life in almost any manner. A video game with cheap indecency to enjoy biggrin.gif

But, it lacks as much in polish and needs a lot better quality missions. Until the next GTA 5 hope R* fixes up the quality issues and give us one of the coolest stories.

GTAgamersquirrel
It's definately the biggest game in terms of attention it gets not only from gamers but from the media as well. It's definately the most anticipated game at the moment.

I do also hope that it'll be the biggest game in terms of scale, even bigger than just cause, bigger than anything! Would be amazing smile.gif

If it was bigger than Just Cause 2 it would become copy and paste and I for one wouldn't like that. barf8bd.gif

The GTA franchise is the 6th best selling gaming franchise ever with about 114 million sold copies. COD is in 9th place with about 100 million sold copies. But let's not forget that we don't get GTA games as frequent as we used to. It's been like what, 2 - 3 years since the last GTA game? (Chinatown Wars). GTA 5 will DEFINITELY outsell all previous GTA games. I say this without a single doubt. Call of Duty may be close to catching up with GTA but they release a new f-ing game every f-ing year and the newest one is the same as the previous one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-...game_franchises

If it was bigger than Just Cause 2 it would become copy and paste and I for one wouldn't like that. barf8bd.gif

R* never Copy/Paste anything!

Look at the size of the RDR map and then look how varied it is!

Edited by Versous

Joaoseinha

It is,at least imo.

I mean,the map may not be as big as JC2,but it is varied,it has epic storyline,weapons,fun, a good multiplayer(in the early days at least).I said this in general,except the multiplayer part.

CoD is no match for GTA.They may be a known game in the industry,but they are known for their decreasing quality over the years.I stopped buying them at CoD 3.

GTAgamersquirrel

I know that R* doesn't copy and past but, theirs no way in hell that GTAV could be the size of JC2 and be that fresh! I see GTAV being 3X the size of LC and that's pushing it with the amount of detail they push out for these consoles... 20sq'miles max I believe..

GTAboyWonder

Well if my Science Teacher says it's a bad example to kids who play GTA, then yes, yes it is.

user posted image

Sneakerhead.

I know that R* doesn't copy and past but, theirs no way in hell that GTAV could be the size of JC2 and be that fresh! I see GTAV being 3X the size of LC and that's pushing it with the amount of detail they push out for these consoles... 20sq'miles max I believe..

If you wanta JC2 size map for V, then wait until R* release the PC version first so someone can make a map mod, or wait until next gen. ( Next gen/GTA VI(ce) = late 2013-2015)

CoD, Halo, Mario, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War, The Sims, plus maybe more are all currently bigger franchises than GTA is. Back in the early to mid 2000's, GTA probably was the biggest game in the world, but now it isn't.

Grand Theft Auto has been around longer than these games by far. The older the series, the more wiser the game is in the gaming industry

DeadlyHabits87

No. The biggest game in life is life itself biggrin.gif

Serious mode: I think GTA V is one of the biggest games worldwide, GTA made it's own genre within gaming.

infamous gee

Yes its big, you can ask anyone what does GTA stand for? and they will tell you Grand Theft Auto, any more I think the genral public think gta is boreing or doesn't have the luster that it use to have,

ecapt for the fine fokes learking in these fourms.

Didn't GTA IV sell more than any game EVER? Or am i completely wrong?

The fact is we don't know, do we. GTA:IV broke records when it was released. But since the world has moved on. The install base of gamers has grown and other franchises have broken sales records again and again. The fact is that there hasn't been another GTA to measure against the market.

When GTA:V is released we'll all have the answer, won't we? Only then will we know whether or not GTA:V manages to outsell COD. Only then will we know whether or not a GTA game will break sales records.

And if, as suspected, it releases in Q4 this year, in the run up to Christmas, the most competitive time of year for games, you can bet that GTA:V will not have an easy time of it. So if it does break records and wipe the floor with competing franchises, it won't be because it had it easy.

And then afterward, in the following years, GTA will take the back seat again, as other annualized franchises continue to push, sell and overtake it while Rockstar prepare GTA:VI another four years hence.

Completely wrong. GTA4 didn't even get near.

infamous gee

And if, as suspected, it releases in Q4 this year, in the run up to Christmas, the most competitive time of year for games, you can bet that GTA:V will not have an easy time of it. So if it does break records and wipe the floor with competing franchises, it won't be because it had it easy.

And then afterward, in the following years, GTA will take the back seat again, as other annualized franchises continue to push, sell and overtake it while Rockstar prepare GTA:VI another four years hence.

GTA is all most like wine, it gets sweeter as time goes by honestly rockstar preffers quality over quanity, how many times has gta let you down compared to the game developers who release anually?

Not yet, but it's going to be, atleast to us. smile.gif

CoD, Halo, Mario, Gran Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, Gears of War, The Sims, plus maybe more are all currently bigger franchises than GTA is. Back in the early to mid 2000's, GTA probably was the biggest game in the world, but now it isn't.

You're kidding right? The Gran Turismo Franchise is pretty big and maybe as big as GTA ( I own GT 5 it myself) But LOL @ the others you name, Halo, The Sims? Are you f*cking serious?

currently bigger than GTA?Okay, Some of these franchises are important to the industry and to the consoles they're available and you forgot Assassins Creed(The new trailer is insane!) but they just don't touch GTA. Maybe CoD in terms of sales but that's it.

Edited by Versous

It might not sell more than COD because pretty much nothing does but it will still do damn well. Justin Bieber and the latest boy band sell more than everybody but that doesn't mean it is quality music.

Also the world is moving against anything that is not PG13 these days. Ganster rap has been replaced by Drake and violent R rated movies don't nearly as well as the latest Twilight. Aggressive rock has been replaced by Nickelback. The only reason COD does well is because of the military theme which is the only time people seem okay with game violence.

That being said I think it will do better than any game not named COD and poularity does not always mean quality.

Completely wrong. GTA4 didn't even get near.

Oh, right.

I confused it with this: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/873/873531p1.html

Summary: they sold 3.6 Million units and earned $310.000.000 the first day of release.

I just confused it, that's all.