555-555-5555 or (555) 555-5555?

MostOfAll

MostOfAll

There are two ways of writing phone numbers.

555-555-5555

(555) 555-5555

Which way do you write a phone number?

lil weasel

There is also 555.555.5555 and if long distance 1.555.555.5555

Old school.

(215) for life mother f*ckers.

Edit:

@weasel. Blew my mind tonight. ' Not sure if we need to dial 1 anymore. Granted I was calling a cell phone with a wacky prefix, but I thought I would experiment and not dial '1' and it worked. Like I said - blew my mind.

Edited by trip

lil weasel

It depends on the exchange. Some 'Greater' areas include other exchanges for mercantile purposes without the long distance denominator. I live in an expanded exchange but even though it is a 'free' call I have to dial 1 for New Haven and Hartford.

t3h PeNgU1N oF d00m

555 555 5555 or 5558885555

Im a lazy f*ck.

interpolfan11

I write them with the parentheses. The other way of writing phone numbers irritates my OCD.

I write them with the parentheses. The other way of writing phone numbers irritates my OCD.

Essentially this. Plus, it always looks nice.

7FTgFLB.png

Dingdongs

I use the parenthesis first too. (631) 235-2912 is the way I'd do it.

I had my cell number there but then I was like, wait, why would I post that here?

Jeeebuuus

I switch it around so people don't know what to expect. You gotta keep them on their toes.

bluesboyjr

Here in merrie olde Englande, I've only ever seen one way of writing phone numbers: 5555 555 5555, with the first four numbers being the area code which can be omitted locally. We don't need no stinking dashes or parentheses.

+407566525XX - that's my phone number with the international phone code for my country (+40), but I replaced the last two digits with X.

The Audiophile Thread

LG 32GN650-B | TESORO Gram XS | PRO X Superlight 2 | Xbox Elite v2 | JBL Tune 720BT | Truthear Hexa

i7 4790K 4.4 GHz | RTX 4070 | 32 GB Crucial DDR3 | ADATA 256GB | Samsung 860 PRO 2TB

Xbox | Xbox 360 | Xbox Series X | PS2 | PS3 | Google Pixel 6 Pro | Fanatec CSL DD McLaren GT3 V2

lil weasel

smile.gif so some weird kid here will try all 100 combinations to call you? And, be rewarded with the local police station number? icon14.gif

Well, i don't know what's point of this topic dozingoff.gif. Most people's writing like 555-555-5555 because this way is a lot easier. Edited by Togrul

na89340qv0n34b09q340

Where's this discussion going to go?

That's a fake number by the way. Did you know that putting "555" in the middle of a US number will render it false?

nightwalker83

I use the brackets to denote the area code such as in the op's second example.

@ Zoo3891,

No, I didn't know that although, I don't know anything about US phone numbers. Also, I think so of the businesses here use "555" in their phone numbers.

Edited by nightwalker83

I write it like (01) 234 567. Its nicer that way, although it really doesn't matter.

(08) 9123 4567 (Australia)

We only have so many area numbers in straya that are in the prefixes, though. Australia is relatively small, you can leave out the (xx) and most of the time you can guess what the area code is just by the other numbers you're given.

WA and SA share (08) so that's the only dicey bit.

King Of Monra

444 44 444 (norway) (+47 = country code)

Here in merrie olde Englande, I've only ever seen one way of writing phone numbers: 5555 555 5555, with the first four numbers being the area code which can be omitted locally. We don't need no stinking dashes or parentheses.

Some places use a 5 digit area code and have 6 digits for the rest of the number too. I was confused after moving to Newcastle (0191) from Stockton (01642) because I thought everyone was missing the last number off the area code.

user posted image

darthYENIK

No parentheses for me. People get that the first three numbers are an area code. Just like they know to dial 1 before the area code.

Juice By Kayla Marie
I use the parenthesis first too. (631) 235-2912 is the way I'd do it.

I had my cell number there but then I was like, wait, why would I post that here?

doubled. (XXX)

not like that? OCD goes crazy.

leik oh em jeez!

(555) 555-5555

or

555-555-5555

Depends on my mood at the time.

For North American, pretty sure the 1 is still necessary when calling from a land line.

leik oh em jeez!
For North American, pretty sure the 1 is still necessary when calling from a land line.

Last time I called from a land line was when I was in school, 3+ years ago and I never needed the 1.

Whats next, how often do you take a sh*t?

Lotsa quality topics these days!

user posted image