Draw distance

zielo

hey, do you guys think the draw distance in the trailer was noticeably better? i thought it was, i believe with the use of the fog or smog they've put in the atmosphere, it would give the effect of the draw distance being further than it actually is, what do you guys think? cheers.

I liked the haze look of the trailer. I also think the draw distances with distant mountains will be better; like the forground is clear and crisp while the background is slightly blurred. Also, when driving on a highway sometimes, the mountains in the distant look blue because you're further away but I don't think they'll add that realism.

"...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

for there you have been, and there you long to return..." - Leonardo da Vinci

I liked the haze look of the trailer. I also think the draw distances with distant mountains will be better; like the forground is clear and crisp while the background is slightly blurred. Also, when driving on a highway sometimes, the mountains in the distant look blue because you're further away but I don't think they'll add that realism.

yeah true, i dunno if you've rdr, awesome game but i think the draw distance wasn't that good the distant mountains and towns just looked pretty ordinary but im just knit picking tounge.gif maybe they'll add the 'blue mountains' feature thatll be an awesome effect i think not too hard to implement smile.gif

Remember that, sadly, one of the things Los Angeles is famous for is it's infamous haze caused by air pollution. I would expect this to be recreated in GTA:V. Whether they will take advantage of this to mask draw distance or not remains to be seen.

Of course, some days are clearer than others in L.A.. And out of the city, the air ought to be crystal clear anyway. The trailer did look rather good for draw distance, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was reduced for the final release.

Edited by meson1

DjMiikkii

All I was looking at we're very low quality textures & backgrounds.

All I was looking at we're very low quality textures & backgrounds. Just kidding, I realize that it is just a video game, and I am not going to be able to see bird sh*t on car sitting in the city while i stand on top of the mountain seen in the trailer.

Fixed!

Mokrie Dela

there's either something wrong with my eyes or i'm living in a low res world.

I can see distant mountains on my travels, in real life, but never have i seen the individual trees or details on anything not near to me. Cars on the motorway, half a mile ahead, i can't see the number plates, i cant see the makes. I can't see road markings on a road a mile away

So to me V's draw distance doesn't look bad. Sure, i can see it's not HD, but things in the distance are not HD. If zooming in with a scope the textures should be clearer (so far in gtas and RDR they remain low quality) but my attentions focused on the action in the foreground. I dont play the game with my eye always on the background.

It's also a technical practicality. Even high end PCs would struggle if the entire game world was rendered in HD at the same time.

But the famous LA smog - that will naturally make things look hazy, and i applaude using that, even if it's to 'mask' the draw distance.

Also california is a warm place. I know it may not be realistic (but anyone here who is a writer, a film studies student or a games developer - anyone who knows how this works will know that) warm climates in games and films often have heat rays - you know the heat rising from the ground, making things in the distance appear blurry, or wobbly. That kind of thing is a well known trick to add to the atmosphere, and not only will it make the game feel hot, but it'd help with the draw distance.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

That kind of thing is a well known trick to add to the atmosphere, and not only will it make the game feel hot, but it'd help with the draw distance.

That would be a cool, especially in the desert.

What about desert mirages.

"...And once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,

for there you have been, and there you long to return..." - Leonardo da Vinci

user posted image

Image of Los Angeles' skyline, showing haze. As you can see it will greatly effect vision from large distances.

user posted image

upload images in this screenshot, the draw distance seems to be pretty good the hills and the buildings dont seem to have that low detail gta 4 and rdr had, i could be wrong though when the actual game comes out..

AtomicPunk

I hope they don't use that shi**y blur filter like they did in IV. That really looks horrible. What I've seen in the trailer looks good so far.

Fireboyd78
I hope they don't use that shi**y blur filter like they did in IV. That really looks horrible. What I've seen in the trailer looks good so far.

Yeah, I think they finally used real anti-aliasing this time.

Pilotmonkey

Looks pretty good unlike GTA IV... And i agree, it does have a nice to haze icon14.gif

Death2Drugs

I really hope for better anti-aliasing. As for draw distance, it seems to have taken a huge step. It looks absolutely beautiful, better than IV.

Unlike when GTA IV was released, coding on the consoles has come a long way, now the PS3 excels at providing MLAA on games (even though it's a different engine, I believe L.A.Noire used it for the PS3 version) and just as much focus was then provided to the Xbox 360 once they saw the benefits, so most modern releases now use FXAA on the Xbox 360 and of course both types as well as traditional AA can be done on the computer, so if Rockstar have upgraded their engine properly, you should at least see FXAA or MLAA as an option in the PC version.

ChillyPhilly

I'd say that the draw distance in V is definitely an improvement over IV.

The draw distance that we saw in Liberty City was deliberately adjusted to help with Rockstar's efforts of immersion, trying to draw and ground the player into the game world, and make them feel as if they were in a place that is part of something bigger.

This will become far more important in V, so an extension with the draw distance is not just a given, but is a necessity.

The draw distance that we saw in Liberty City was deliberately adjusted to help with Rockstar's efforts of immersion

Yes, and Niko forfeited the use of parachutes because it didn't fit his personality.

The primary motivation to use fog, haze, any kind of dissolving lighting on the horizon are technical reasons. You'll always want to "end" the line of sight with something, instead of having (low res) crap pop far away. That and usually insane amounts of blur which is very popular these days.

In other words, if they could create ultra high draw distance they would. While the haze effect will surely fit some times of the day/weather/climate conditions it won't fit with everything.

I guess Los Angeles has the worst smog levels in the nation.

user posted image

Edited by Dobleh

Gtaghost22

It was very good, draw distance is obviously improved over GTA IV and the trailer was probably in beta stage also so the final build might be even better

OysterBarron

user posted image

That's obviously a lens effect. The one thing i hated about the draw distance in IV was the way highways were done. From a distance you would see white and red lights aka car rear lights and head lights but when you finally get there there's no cars on the road whatsoever! am i the only one who hated this effect?

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

Mokrie Dela
The one thing i hated about the draw distance in IV was the way highways were done. From a distance you would see white and red lights aka car rear lights and head lights but when you finally get there there's no cars on the road whatsoever! am i the only one who hated this effect?

i didn't hate it but i noticed it.

GTA's always used the same system - what i call "lods"

there were two textures for each object - one low res one from long range, and one high res close up. you can see them both in Vice city and SA sometimes, especially on non powerful computers.

The only solution is to either spawn city-wide traffic constantly and that will kill performance.

I can't see a better system tbh, it never really bothered me.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

087rqaU.pngVw81Z2a.pngxWvxZoT.png1fb6cYB.png

Click here to view my Poetry

WhiskeyFoxtrot

That's obviously a lens effect. The one thing i hated about the draw distance in IV was the way highways were done. From a distance you would see white and red lights aka car rear lights and head lights but when you finally get there there's no cars on the road whatsoever! am i the only one who hated this effect?

It sometimes annoyed me, but nothing to the extent I'd curse Rockstar every time I saw it.

Death2Drugs

It sometimes annoyed me, but nothing to the extent I'd curse Rockstar every time I saw it.

I hated it myself, and I hope they fix this.

GTA's always used the same system - what i call "lods"

Careful now, you almost discovered warm water all over again.

Long_Haired_Boy

Way better then Saints Row system. They only have 3 types on pedestrian characters from a distance and ghost cars that disappear when you get close.

suicidal.gif

Saying something is great only because something else is sh*tty is stupid.

Draw distance mixed with haze... i do actually believe we'll see something like that in V. Never been in LA but i have lived in Bangkok, Thailand. If you look out from one of the 2000 skyscrapers, you'll only see 100 of them, in a good day.

DjMiikkii

All I was looking at we're very low quality textures & backgrounds. Just kidding, I realize that it is just a video game, and I am not going to be able to see bird sh*t on car sitting in the city while i stand on top of the mountain seen in the trailer.

Fixed!

This was actually what I was referring too, the hills in the background look very..well crap.

user posted image

Textures comparisons hold no ground as what we have seen in the trailer is pretty f*cking far from what we are going to see in the final product, but for some reason most refuse to accept this simple concept. Compare the GTAIV trailers to the game itself and it should be obvious.

At this time, GTAV trailer does look better then GTAIV trailers, especially in the lighting department. But for now that's about it.