Music To Be More Implemented?

ainsz

I'm not sure wether I'd like it or not as I'm not sure it would fit GTA's sort of psuedo real world setting.

However, I was thinking wether GTA V will have music playing at times other than when you're driving.

For example, music being played during cutscenes. I always had the impression Rockstar avoided doing this on purpose in past GTA's.

However GTA IV's direction was heavily cinematic and music wouldn't have seemed so out of place in the cutscenes.

Furthermore, another thing Rockstar have previously left out for obvious reasons is music bring played during gameplay, as that came courtesy of the radio. And I never would have wanted it to be featured myself as it seem out of place in a GTA game.

TBOGT SPOILER!

But in the final mission of TBoGT, after the you jump out of the plane and start parachuting, that annoying woop woop song starts playing while you glide over Broker.

I hate the song during usual gameplay but I was surprised to find it fit well with the goings ons and did make an epic finale just that bit more awesome. Well in my opinion..

SPOILER OVER

So, what's you're opinion? Would you want music to be implemented in the game in parts other than the radio, or not?

huevos_benedicto_180

I don't think ambient music as it were would fit in with the GTA Universe. The soundtrack comes from the radios and that has been a staple of the series. Of course in Red Dead Redemption orchestral music was implemented due to the lack of a radio, and it fitted well there, but in GTA I think the system of the only music in game being on the radio is a good one.

If it was implemented correctly and only used at appropiate points within missions and during cutscenes it could make the story that much more epic. It worked very well in Mafia II especially in these montage cutscenes which I loved

They could also use some powerful orchestral music with lots of strings playing mournful music when someone close to the protagonist dies or something tragic happens. I feel this would be more immersive and gain more of your sympathy for your character.

HydraulicWaRiOr

It should most definitely be considered. I think IPods are pretty realistic. Hopefully there's a user track player on the side.

[supreme]

• 8 months later...

Well, Rockstar have revealed that an orchestral score has been produced for mission gameplay. Not many details about it were given other than it can be switched on/off. (Presumably in favour of the radio.)

Personally, I still can't imagine GTA with a score for gameplay and I can't see it working that well in a game that's so free form in playability. Though it is an interesting, new feature for GTA and I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

What are your thoughts and hopes on for this feature?

I think that Rockstar tried it with Red Dead Redemption and it worked so well, they figured it would work in GTA IV.

Who else was surprised when they heard this in RDR:

I totally forgot about that! That was brilliant in Red Dead, also, those small segments of music that would play randomly in free roam worked nicely.

Personally TBoGT final mission music sort of fit perfectly, as well as that it made an official end to the GTA IV era. I think as soon as GTA V has been released, I might go back to LC to relieve old memories of creating havoc and such.

So to answer the question. Yes, music playing in game will be fine as long as the music fits with the cutscene and not have the wrong music as it will ruin the cutscene in the game

Well, Rockstar have revealed that an orchestral score has been produced for mission gameplay. Not many details about it were given other than it can be switched on/off. (Presumably in favour of the radio.)

Personally, I still can't imagine GTA with a score for gameplay and I can't see it working that well in a game that's so free form in playability. Though it is an interesting, new feature for GTA and I'm looking forward to see how it turns out.

Man that musical score will be awesome as f*ck. Go re-play "three leaf cover" and tell me what's missing?! Right, MUSIC laid beneath all the screaming, the gunshots, and blood shed. Just a simple pushing drum line would already do the trick. That orchestra thing will be insane. OF COURSE the radio is "untouchable". And it will be there for you to tune in. But during missions you don't sit on your car, you're likely in the field. SO the addition of a score is perfect and has literally NO downside to it. V will have it all....DAMN...can't wait.

PS4 - Henry_Yo

----------------------

JUSTICE FOR THE BENZ!

Similarly to the chap above, I think it will be used mostly in the heist missions as it's far more fitting. Just imagine the highly favoured GTA:IV mission "Three Leaf Clover" with an orchestral score accompanying it. Running down those alleys with the FIB in pursuit, all the while the score is adding to the tension. You're taking cover behind a wall due to heavy fire but your comrade is stuck and needs help desperately, the score kicks in with some heavy, deep bass and fast-paced high notes courtesy of the string section. All in all, it can only add to the overall feel simply because, as we all know, we become heavily immersed in these missions and the score will be a part of that immersion.

The same applies to gripping car chases, tense store robberies, gunfights in tight corridors or open streets, the list goes on and on. I don't think we'll have it whilst we're simply driving around otherwise it would conflict horribly with the in-car radio. As for being on foot, well, who knows? As was mentioned previously, we might see the introduction of a portable radio device. We know we'll be able to surf the internet on it so it doesn't seem too far-fetched.

Dudesig.png

I think it'll fit well. There's a lot they can do these days to mix and match music to a scene. Besides, most of the times that you'd not hear the radio music are cutscenes and the generally more linear on-foot parts.

in GTA I think the system of the only music in game being on the radio is a good one.

but you do know that its already been revealed that there is a score, particularly for mission purposes, right?

in GTA I think the system of the only music in game being on the radio is a good one.

but you do know that its already been revealed that there is a score, particularly for mission purposes, right?

He posted that on May 6th of last year lol

G1T

Man that musical score will be awesome as f*ck. Go re-play "three leaf cover" and tell me what's missing?! Right, MUSIC laid beneath all the screaming, the gunshots, and blood shed. Just a simple pushing drum line would already do the trick. That orchestra thing will be insane. OF COURSE the radio is "untouchable". And it will be there for you to tune in. But during missions you don't sit on your car, you're likely in the field. SO the addition of a score is perfect and has literally NO downside to it. V will have it all....DAMN...can't wait.

The airport shootout in Max Payne 3 is the leading example for Rockstar fight music.