Student Suspend From High School

Ryan

Radoonhagaydoon

Hello I'm from Canada

and I think Canada is America Junior

/thread

AlexGTAGamer

Suspended for showing his beliefs? confused.gif

Kind of reminds me of the story of another Christian who got fired from her job because she wore a crucifix to work, as it supposedly "offended" people of other religions and non-religious peoples.

Chunkyman

I'm 100% on the student's side. I'm an atheist, but I don't get all butthurt when people have T-shirts that strongly oppose my beliefs. Let him wear the T-shirt if he wants.

izx6.jpg

Suspended for showing his beliefs? confused.gif

Kind of reminds me of the story of another Christian who got fired from her job because she wore a crucifix to work, as it supposedly "offended" people of other religions and non-religious peoples.

You mean the woman who was fired from British Airways for wearing a crucifix necklace? If so, you're wrong. She was fired because it was a violation of dress code, which banned jewelry from being worn. Christian beliefs don't require her to wear the crucifix, so why should she receive special treatment?

AlexGTAGamer
You mean the woman who was fired from British Airways for wearing a crucifix necklace?

No not that one.

MrcTOtheJ

I believe it was justified, now I can't give two sh*ts about what people believe, but in a school setting, with a shirt basically "Your life is a waste if you don't believe what I do," would go against just about every school dress code I know of. Not only that you have parents of kids that would hear this and sh*t would hit the fan faster than you'd believe. (Pun not intended)

I personally wouldn’t be offended, but I can say it is justified to suspend him, he broke the rules, he can deal with it, not only that the school is covering there ass, if some parents heard of that they’d be going down there pretty damn fast, I've seen it happen at my high school with my history teacher who mentioned one relgion once from a historical stand point then some chick went off on him in class about all this and that, then she got her mom involved.

leik oh em jeez!

This is getting to be like parents who don't let their kids leave the neighbourhood

Again, this is the same as a shirt stating that one race is superior to another. Whether or not it makes people mad is beside the point, it's meant to be offensive and attacks people based on religion or lack there of.

It's essentially a religious slur. So should students be permitted to wear shirts with racial slurs too? Should students be able to walk around in shirts that say "All Indians should eat sh*t and die" without a word said to them if that is their belief?

To be fair, while Section 2(b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms permits freedom of religion, Section 1 also has the reasonable limits clause that says while you're exercising your freedoms, you may not infringe on the rights of others. My guess is when someone complained, they said their right to not believe under Section 2(b) was being violated.

In the end, though, I believe that since it is a public school and funded by public tax dollars, there should be no shirts related to religion on either side of the spectrum: theist or atheist.

clEsyRO.gif

I'm 100% on the student's side. I'm an atheist, but I don't get all butthurt when people have T-shirts that strongly oppose my beliefs. Let him wear the T-shirt if he wants.

less about butthurts, more about public schools.

when you wear a shirt like that you're asking for it.

just shows how shallow and dumb the kid is.

To be fair, while Section 2(b) of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms permits freedom of religion, Section 1 also has the reasonable limits clause that says while you're exercising your freedoms, you may not infringe on the rights of others. My guess is when someone complained, they said their right to not believe under Section 2(b) was being violated.

In the end, though, I believe that since it is a public school and funded by public tax dollars, there should be no shirts related to religion on either side of the spectrum: theist or atheist.

Strongly disagree with you here, Scotty, as the "right to not be offended" is not outlined explicitly anywhere.

@ omjeez : this is so far from hate speech. Seriously.

I really don't think it should have anything to do with "causing offence", but rather it's obnoxious and doesn't represent a good image. I know in UK schools there are bans on all kinds of things including certain hairstyles, and you have to wear a uniform in the vast majority. It's not because the hairstyles are offensive, just that when you turn up to school you're expected to represent the school and so you need to dress appropriately and present yourself appropriately.

In this case it seems it was about offending people, and the school could have avoided a lot of hassle if it didn't go down that route. I think they were right to ban him from wearing it, but not because of the reason they gave.

Edited by GTA_stu

Strongly disagree with you here, Scotty, as the "right to not be offended" is not outlined explicitly anywhere.

You don't word it by saying you're offended. You say, for example, as an atheist, someone wearing a shirt that says your life is wasted without Jesus infringes on your Section 2(b) right to freedom of religion, which also covers the freedom to not believe.

It goes both ways.

[EDIT] Grammar.

Edited by Icarus
clEsyRO.gif

leik oh em jeez!

@ omjeez : this is so far from hate speech. Seriously.

Only if you use the hate speech name tag. If you classify it as someone advertising that they're better than everyone else based on beliefs/race/whatthef*ckever, it's really the same.

HydraulicWaRiOr

Some of these Christians around me are calling instances like this a step towards Armageddon. I personally couldn't give a f*ck.

These prejudice assholes have been f*cking up this world for 2000 years. I couldn't give two sh*ts if there was a genocide. In my opinion, the would be much better off without Jesus. Every time I see one of those bastards, I just want to light them on fire. I just hope that that day comes when Christianity doesn't exist. If it doesn't, may the flying spaghetti monster help us.

[supreme]

Jeeebuuus
. I know in UK schools there are bans on all kinds of things including certain hairstyles, and you have to wear a uniform in the vast majority. It's not because the hairstyles are offensive, just that when you turn up to school you're expected to represent the school and so you need to dress appropriately and present yourself appropriately.

I was going to say something like this. We had to dress in uniforms at my school, tucking the shirt in and all, I hated it. Perhaps that is what is needed in public schools. Kids are there to learn, not to present their styles like a fashion show or express whatever personal beliefs they have. Then we wouldn't hear as much about how people are offended by such inconsequential material. Eh, who am I kidding, people will always find something to be offended about. Buntcha children they all are.

interpolfan11

The kid is clearly an attention whore who was just trying to create arise from any atheist within the vicinity. He should be suspended.

Each can pick whatever they believe it, but I hate it when those (what you call it) that dressed up like sales men go around bothering others about their

religion.

Chunkyman
less about butthurts, more about public schools.

when you wear a shirt like that you're asking for it.

just shows how shallow and dumb the kid is.

It all boils down to butthurt, though. The offensive nature of the shirt is the primary reason for his punishment. Since I don't think having a somewhat offensive shirt is justification for disciplinary action, I have to side with the kid.

I'm for separating church and state, but this seems more like separating douche and shirt, which I don't believe is an adequate justification for the school's actions.

izx6.jpg

Who cares? Really? This sh*t is news? We've been dealing with opposing beliefs for a long time now. People need to get over it. Hold your beliefs in your heart and mind and it doesn't matter what others say or do against it. Ridiculous.

user posted image

Who cares? Really? This sh*t is news? We've been dealing with opposing beliefs for a long time now. People need to get over it. Hold your beliefs in your heart and mind and it doesn't matter what others say or do against it. Ridiculous.

Since we no longer have to worry about dinosaurs eating us while we sleep we need pointless things to get all hyper about tounge.gif .

The same people who were bitcing about the shirt are the same people who overreact when they stub their toe - just for the attention. They only cry when someone is close enough to hear them even though it really doesn't hurt.

Jeeebuuus

Yep. You're right. But then we wouldn't have much to talk about. Everyone loves drama.

guyzwitgunz

I'm all for people standing up for what they believe in, but that often comes with many consequences, in this case - suspension and everyone with opposing viewpoints hating on you.

Whatever happened to keeping your beliefs to yourself and not trying to push it on others to promote what you believe in. To each their own I guess.

In this case the public school system is in the right.

This kind of thing is pathetic from all angles. Who actually gives a sh*t what's written on somebody else's t-shirt? You'd need incredibly thin skin for this to irk you.

Agreed. Seriously. And the kid has a point (regarding his rights). It's a public school. Funded by my tax dollars.

One must realize that language like this is essentially harmless when treated as such. Would anyone be offended if the shirt said, for instance, "Your life is wasted without Gatorade"? Which, arguably should be more offensive because Jesus hasn't killed anyone with diabetes recently.

The school has created a big deal out of this for themselves. Dealt with incredibly poorly.

I completely agree. If it's public, why should it be any different from walking down the street with it on? Cops don't arrest you for wearing a hat with it's brim backwards, so what makes this situation so special? notify.gif

Do you guys still not understand that when there's religion involved things like these are bound to happen? Tomorrow, if I walk around my place with a t-shirt that says 'you're an idiot if you believe in god', I'll probably be stabbed in the chest. Not sure about the other parts of the world, but that's how crazy religion makes people. Don't you think the non-believers would react in some way or the other when you deliberately step onto their reasonable beliefs?

Jeeebuuus
. Don't you think the non-believers would react in some way or the other when you deliberately step onto their reasonable beliefs?

I don't think non-believers have beliefs.

they believe in their non-belief wink.gif

Jeeebuuus

they believe in their non-belief wink.gif

Hmmm. Ironic.

MrcTOtheJ
Do you guys still not understand that when there's religion involved things like these are bound to happen? Tomorrow, if I walk around my place with a t-shirt that says 'you're an idiot if you believe in god', I'll probably be stabbed in the chest. Not sure about the other parts of the world, but that's how crazy religion makes people. Don't you think the non-believers would react in some way or the other when you deliberately step onto their reasonable beliefs?

Pretty much, not only that the school has to cover their asses, some kid tells their parents who are of a diffrent relgion (or non relgious though I don't see many Atheists geting mad over this) and then they get involved, and there's a whole hoopla over it.

I personaly wouldn't care but I can see where the school is coming from.