Student Suspend From High School

Ryan

trip, this is religion we're talking about; an extremely sensitive as well as an intense subject for many. I'm pretty sure this does not fall under the same category as jokes about one's mother. Well, technically it should, but that's not how the world functions. When atheists have been lambasted and looked down upon in various parts of the world for years, you can't expect them to sit back and pass up on the opportunity to hit back at the theists. It's human nature - you ridiculed us because we didn't believe in God so we'll ridicule you when you try to force your religious views onto others.

^It's essentially this, but with religion instead of race

user posted image

Well...

So in the end is all about 'us versus them'?

Sounds petty and pointless. Ive seen worse T-shirts (stuff dealing with racism, criminal behaviour etc) but nobody has ever felt offended enough to make a fuss about it. And I understand that there need to be certain limits to freedom of speech but surely this isnt one of those cases.

Maybe its just because I live in a place where religion doesnt really get much attention (most people here tend to be agnostic) and hence isnt an issue but I cant see why such a reaction was necessary. I mean, people get offended all the time by much lesser matters and we usually dont pay attention to them. Why is this so special?

trip, this is religion we're talking about; an extremely sensitive as well as an intense subject for many. I'm pretty sure this does not fall under the same category as jokes about one's mother. Well, technically it should, but that's not how the world functions. When atheists have been lambasted and looked down upon in various parts of the world for years, you can't expect them to sit back and pass up on the opportunity to hit back at the theists. It's human nature - you ridiculed us because we didn't believe in God so we'll ridicule you when you try to force your religious views onto others.

Oh I more than understand. I'm an atheist who happens to live in an ultra christian, ultra religious city. Just the other day my wife wore one of those joke evolution shirts to work. I say joke because the last man in the evolution chart was walking a pug dog. She came home and claimed it was the last time she can wear that shirt to work because of all the dirty looks and whispers it received.

I also don't see it as ridicule. It is just words on a shirt. Now if this kid was standing at the school entrance handing out fliers that read "If you aren't christian you are going to have an unfulfilling life because you don't believe in my god" I could see cause for offence.

i don't see why they suspended him, its not really offensive he just looks like a fa**ot for wearing it.

This kind of thing is pathetic from all angles. Who actually gives a sh*t what's written on somebody else's t-shirt? You'd need incredibly thin skin for this to irk you.

Agreed. Seriously. And the kid has a point (regarding his rights). It's a public school. Funded by my tax dollars.

One must realize that language like this is essentially harmless when treated as such. Would anyone be offended if the shirt said, for instance, "Your life is wasted without Gatorade"? Which, arguably should be more offensive because Jesus hasn't killed anyone with diabetes recently.

The school has created a big deal out of this for themselves. Dealt with incredibly poorly.

i don't see why they suspended him, its not really offensive he just looks like a fa**ot for wearing it.

totally

Whatever. The kid was being a smug ass, like 90% of the holier-than-thou crowd chooses to be. Reminding him how unchristian it is to do that would probably have been enough, since now he's just going to be looked at as a 'victim' of evil, Satan-worshipping, liberal, communist, satanist, Al Gore loving atheists by his youth group, church, family and facebook friends.

Kind of wish I could see all them posts about how Christians are being persecuted, though.

kzgN7qp.png

Dingdongs
Chances are that he was wearing the t-shirt just to offend the non-believers rather than fortify his own beliefs, in which case, suspending him is justified. I'm pretty sure if someone wore a t-shirt with an atheist remark on it, 99% of the believers would feel highly offended.

This. Most of the time with these kids in schools wearing shirts that we do not generally deem as offensive, they kid intended it to be offensive. Case in point are the kids wearing the ultranationalistic American shirts to irritate the hispanic kids in their school that happened a few months ago.

leik oh em jeez!
Nobody is telling anyone anything though. It is just words on a shirt.

They are only pretending to get offended for pointless dramatic reasons.

I don't understand this attitude. If someone was to wear a "ni**ers are worthless" or "f*ck mexicans" shirt to school I guarantee they'd be suspended the first day. But it's just words, right?

No. Words have meaning, so with them comes that meaning. If the meaning is offensive, then so is the shirt. In my opinion, voicing your views is acceptable, but insulting the views of others is not.

na89340qv0n34b09q340

It's unfortunate that people wear t-shirts like that, whether they be theistic, or atheistic. The actions of the school though aren't justified. Radical beliefs are no reason for suspension.

A smart ass teenager being a smart ass.

News,,,,

Indeed.

Had no one paid him any mind, made no comment, gave him no reaction whatsoever that n!gga would have been wearing a turtle neck the next day, mark my words.

lil weasel

Gay student sues over banned T-shirt

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2012040...-banned-T-shirt

School lifts ban on gay teen's Jesus shirt

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/201...l#ixzz1tvxZ7lkv

Getting common, what do these kids think?

More important they are thinking.

Who is inciting them to do it?

Should we care, anymore?

I heard about this in my english class, but we didnt talk much about it, but in my history we class we learned how to school system is corrupt, and nobody can fail until grade 9

I don't see what the big deal is, let him wear what he wants.

Sure, the shirt is not at all necessary, but the suspension is utter bullsh*t.

tumblr_mk683ddOTs1rkv9cvo1_250.gif

The__Phoenix

Chances are that he was wearing the t-shirt just to offend the non-believers rather than fortify his own beliefs, in which case, suspending him is justified. I'm pretty sure if someone wore a t-shirt with an atheist remark on it, 99% of the believers would feel highly offended.

do you prefer this?Is north korea

user posted image

If the world follows your logic the people would have to dress just like in the image.

This guy is not offending anyone simply is expressing his own beliefs. For example,the tim tebow celebrations would have to be banned because any stupid guy (and you are going to find stupid guys wherever you go) can feel offended .

This is a very small way of think. icon13.gif

user posted image

TIM TEBOW BANNED FOR LIFE!!!! suicidal.gif

lil weasel

Please … When POSTING PICTURES try to select 640x480 or smaller for “message boards and forums.” so as to not stretch the forum frame. Or just use a link. Wallpaper sized pictures aren’t kind to the forum frame.

If it slows the game, then banning is OK. next thing you know he'll pull out a BULL (s) Horn and preach.

Edited by lil weasel

Radoonhagaydoon

all hail the overseer we live in the vault we die in the vault!!!

I can hear atheists fapping to this...

anyways, back on topic:

It's silly to suspend someone over a t-shirt. It's not like people are reading it and feeling offended etc?! it's a F*CKING T-SHIRT! Who gives a sh*t what you have on your chest? I don't run home to my mommy if I see a t-shirt with the slogan "I hate brown haired people" (Yes I have seen one..) being worn by a blonde, do I? I see it and go on with my f*cking life! this is beyond ridicolous. Once again the americans strike with their "safety". If americans ruled the world, forks would have soft padding, and hot food wouldn't be allowed since you might burn yourself.

L71cGcK.png

Moonshield

This guy is not offending anyone simply is expressing his own beliefs. For example,the tim tebow celebrations would have to be banned because any stupid guy (and you are going to find stupid guys wherever you go) can feel offended .

N..no. The shirt was adopting a "my beliefs are better than yours, therefor I am" mindset with wearing that shirt. The fact that he's xtian barely relates to Girish's point. learn to read. It'd be the same as if he were to wear a "White is Right" shirt. Same mindset, regardless of the subject matter. This has f*cking nothing to do with xtianity, so stop with the f*cking martyr complex (ironic, right?).

@Jaysteels: This happened in Canadia. So unless by "Americans" you mean "in the American continent", maybe you should actually read the article before posting about it. And don't...

user posted image

4XEtraA.jpg

So now he's allowed to wear the shirt at school.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/...ent-school.html

The Nova Scotia student suspended from school for five days for wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "Life Is Wasted Without Jesus" will be allowed to wear it, the school board has ruled.

The student, William Swinimer, along the pastor of his church and officials with the South Shore Regional School Board met Friday to try and bring an end to a disagreement over whether Swinimer should be allowed to wear the T-shirt to class.

Swinimer called the board's decision "awesome" and said he will be wearing his T-shirt to school on Monday.

"Some people say you're not supposed to have religion in school. Well, every other religion is in that school and they constantly put Christianity down," he said.

School board superintendent Nancy Pinch-Worthylake said it will bring in a facilitator on Monday to speak with students at Forest Heights Community School in Chester Basin, Lunenburg County, about how to express their beliefs in a way that is respectful to all.

The board will hold a similar meeting for any interested parents.

Pinch-Worthylake said the board will use this incident as a learning moment for everyone, adding that it is time to move on.

"We're going to be working with students around how they can express their religious views and other views appropriately, and how we work together when those views may be interpreted or misinterupted by others," she said.

"So, the focus is off the T-shirt. Whatever T-shirts come to school on Monday with personal beliefs will not be an issue for us."

The board suspended Swinimer for five days when he refused to stop wearing the T-shirt. It said some students and teachers found the slogan offensive.

Swinimer, a Grade 12 student, said the slogan is an expression of his Christian faith.

The leader of Nova Scotia's Progressive Conservative Party came to Swinimer's defence Friday. Jamie Baillie said the teen has every right to wear the shirt wherever he wants.

"This is the 30th anniversary of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. All Canadians, including Mr. Swinimer, are guaranteed certain rights under that charter … He is exercising his right as a Canadian and I think the school board should stand up for that," Baillie said.

On Thursday, provincial Education Minister Ramona Jennex said she agrees with the school board decision to suspend Swinimer.

He wore the T-shirt every day to class for several weeks, even after the principal told him repeatedly to stop wearing it.

The devout Christian said the T-shirt is an expression of his beliefs, and he never intended to attack anyone else's beliefs.

"I believe there are things that are bigger than me. And I think that I need to stand up for the rights of people in this country, and religious rights and freedom of speech," Swinimer told CBC News Thursday.

pretty much this.

/thread

So now he's allowed to wear the shirt at school.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/...ent-school.html

The Nova Scotia student suspended from school for five days for wearing a T-shirt with the slogan "Life Is Wasted Without Jesus" will be allowed to wear it, the school board has ruled.

The student, William Swinimer, along the pastor of his church and officials with the South Shore Regional School Board met Friday to try and bring an end to a disagreement over whether Swinimer should be allowed to wear the T-shirt to class.

Swinimer called the board's decision "awesome" and said he will be wearing his T-shirt to school on Monday.

"Some people say you're not supposed to have religion in school. Well, every other religion is in that school and they constantly put Christianity down," he said.

School board superintendent Nancy Pinch-Worthylake said it will bring in a facilitator on Monday to speak with students at Forest Heights Community School in Chester Basin, Lunenburg County, about how to express their beliefs in a way that is respectful to all.

The board will hold a similar meeting for any interested parents.

Pinch-Worthylake said the board will use this incident as a learning moment for everyone, adding that it is time to move on.

"We're going to be working with students around how they can express their religious views and other views appropriately, and how we work together when those views may be interpreted or misinterupted by others," she said.

"So, the focus is off the T-shirt. Whatever T-shirts come to school on Monday with personal beliefs will not be an issue for us."

The board suspended Swinimer for five days when he refused to stop wearing the T-shirt. It said some students and teachers found the slogan offensive.

Swinimer, a Grade 12 student, said the slogan is an expression of his Christian faith.

The leader of Nova Scotia's Progressive Conservative Party came to Swinimer's defence Friday. Jamie Baillie said the teen has every right to wear the shirt wherever he wants.

"This is the 30th anniversary of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. All Canadians, including Mr. Swinimer, are guaranteed certain rights under that charter … He is exercising his right as a Canadian and I think the school board should stand up for that," Baillie said.

On Thursday, provincial Education Minister Ramona Jennex said she agrees with the school board decision to suspend Swinimer.

He wore the T-shirt every day to class for several weeks, even after the principal told him repeatedly to stop wearing it.

The devout Christian said the T-shirt is an expression of his beliefs, and he never intended to attack anyone else's beliefs.

"I believe there are things that are bigger than me. And I think that I need to stand up for the rights of people in this country, and religious rights and freedom of speech," Swinimer told CBC News Thursday.

Good news! But someone should tell the little sh*t that "Christianity" is a religion. tounge.gif

It's silly to suspend someone over a t-shirt. It's not like people are reading it and feeling offended etc?! it's a F*CKING T-SHIRT! Who gives a sh*t what you have on your chest?

you're missing the point.

this is a public school.

It's silly to suspend someone over a t-shirt. It's not like people are reading it and feeling offended etc?! it's a F*CKING T-SHIRT! Who gives a sh*t what you have on your chest?

this is a public school.

In america... But what do I know? I go to private school turn.gif

L71cGcK.png

this is a public school.

In america

...in Canada. God damnit, people, read the story!

But I'm on your side, jay. The kid's got a right to express himself if it's not obscene or expressing hatred. And no, people, this is not an expression of hatred.

this is a public school.

In america

...in Canada. God damnit, people, read the story!

But I'm on your side, jay. The kid's got a right to express himself if it's not obscene or expressing hatred. And no, people, this is not an expression of hatred.

Canada is in America.. There's america and there's USA monocle.gif (of course, things are different in southern parts, but when I say america I mean ca and USA)

L71cGcK.png

this is a public school.

A public school paid for with taxpayer dollars, and I might be wrong, but I have a hunch that both of the kid's parents are taxpayers.

It's just another step in political correctness. I don't agree with the shirt, but I think he has every right to wear it, and I'm glad to see that the school renounced its decision to prohibit wearing it.

Slosten.gif

lil weasel

For ALL-AMERICANs smile.gif

Eye-black messages banned

http://www.gatorsports.com/article/2010041...icles/100419622

Tim Tebow started a college football tradition the past few years by writing Bible verses on his eye black for each game. But that tradition is over — and not just because Tebow has graduated from the University of Florida.

On Thursday, the NCAA banned eye-black messages.

This is getting to be like parents who don't let their kids leave the neighbourhood

L71cGcK.png

Dingleman

How is this any different to wearing a chain with a cross pendant? And since when were t-shirts such an important part of the things we stand for?

I don't see why people are offended by a damn shirt. If you are comfortable with your belief, this vague gesture wouldn't matter to you anyway.