Lefteris

EDIT: Alright, alright:

GFWL = Games for Windows - Live

GTA = Grand Theft Auto

VC:MP = Vice City Multiplayer

GB = Gigabyte

R* = Rockstar Games

VRAM = Video Ram

Please stop arguing about the abbreviations now, lol(laughing out loud, although I didn't actually do it)

/EDIT

GFWL. If they put that crap in GTA V I'll rage sad.gif. I just hate Microsoft after experiencing this, and I'll hate R* too if they put it in a GTA game again. I mean come on, that thing only brings trouble and errors. It doesn't even keep your savegames stored somewhere in microsoft's server or something. That's what I thought it was doing when it said "Downloading profile, please wait"(or something similar, anyway). But no, it didn't! Because, f*ck (Microsoft's) logic! I could write a whole book titled "My adventures of trying to get GFWL to work in order to play some GTA IV".

Optimisation. I feel like R* sh*ts on our heads with those ridiculously bad console ports. I mean come on, people here have made MODS that enhance graphics AND improve in-game performance. R* has millions($$$), can't they do better? Also, about the patches: When you release a patch for something, it's supposed to fix or make something better, right? I find it unacceptable to release a patch that is actually not preferred due to reducing the game's performance. Especially from a franchise like GTA. I also remember the game needing 1.5GB VRAM at a 1366x768 resolution....

Savegames. A result of GFWL, I believe. Why can't they just do it the old good way? A GTA folder in "My Documents" and the files there. Is it so difficult?

These are my (main) complaints about GTA IV. All these have really given me a very hard time and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. No wonder GTA IV's mutiplayer has less players than VC:MP. Plus half or more of the servers in GTA IV are ruined with stupid trainers.

I hope I'll be able to enjoy the next installment without having to go through this trouble again, I really do.

Pleease do share your opinion on this matter.

Edited by Lefteris

You can't be serious about it being fine with you. Wait until you uninstall and reinstall a couple times and you have to sit on the phone for 2 hours just to have someone give you someone else's key that still works... GFWL is a bad thing. I have not had many headaches with it myself, but I have installed the game a few times (after OS reinstall - even if you don't delete it, it still has to install again, and MS limits installs, and makes it a big hassle just to play your game when their limit is reached)

And I have the steam version. Securom limits do not apply to me. I am not talking about securom, I am talking about GFWL limits. The ones they do not tell you about until you experience them.

And at this point, I can play GTA IV and the add on episodes, but I still have to see a nag screen telling me a game key is not activated and to wait thirty seconds and try again every time I launch the game. It is a headache, an unwanted headache, and it was only a part of GTA IV because they made money to use it. They were paid by microsoft, it was part of the xbox deal, which was really a "Live" deal.

"It relies on the service" - only because the service was paid into the game.

Edited by brian.

AlQ6bG7.png

I've done plenty of OS reinstalls and it's installed fine every time with the same key so there must be plenty of times you can re use it.

8. The limit is 8. And I reached that limit before I installed it 8 times because GFWL forgets you have the game between some of the past updates to the client. So there were three times in a row that I launched GTA IV and it went through install procedures again. Then, I went to play the next time, and had to sit on the phone for a new key. When I have it on steam. It makes no sense, except that GTA IV wouldn't have even been made if MS didn't pay them.

GFWL and Live deal for GTA IV was not for the consumer. It was about using the biggest title in gaming to force PC players to accept a terms and conditions that was unheard of in the past before these services. That is the only reason MS shelled over the funds that made GTA IV even possible, it's the only reason they made sure they paid big to lock down GTA IV to GFWL: To make us adopt a technology we didn't want, by putting it in a game no gta fan could live without.

"ok, we got the console crowd, they are too easyyyyy, but how do we get the PC crowd? I know! Let's fund GTA IV in exchange for Rockstar to let us exploit their fans!"

And that was the story of GFWLGTAIV.

AlQ6bG7.png

ive also never had a problem with games for windows live, and i have a few thousand hours played on gta.

Sunrise Driver

I also didn't have problems with Ubi DRM in AC2, doesn't mean I should want DRM in AC3.

Judging from LA Noire and MP3, V will use R* Social Club only. That's very good. No additional useless clients.

GTA 4 MP already was via R* SC partially. With GTA V there'll be some 4.0 Social Club with chat, friends, invites etc.

Edited by Street Mix

Man, you guys are really lucky compared to me and some others (in google you can find a lot of dissatisfied people with similar stories to mine). Keep your windows clean and free of viruses and make sure you back up your registry now and then! tounge.gif Cause they will get you on that phone otherwise lol.

AlQ6bG7.png

It pisses me off how people are too lazy to spend an extra 2 second typing out the full word instead of the abbreviation, for the people that do not know what the hell the abbreviation is.

xNewtype Acex

It pisses me off how people are too lazy to spend an extra 2 second typing out the full word instead of the abbreviation, for the people that do not know what the hell the abbreviation is.

It pisses me off how people can't spend an extra 2 seconds to google something they don't know. Seriously it is faster to google something than having to ask and waiting for replies.

ANYWAY

GFWL. If they put that crap in GTA V I'll rage . I just hate Microsoft after experiencing this, and I'll hate R* too if they put it in a GTA game again. I mean come on, that thing only brings trouble and errors. It doesn't even keep your savegames stored somewhere in microsoft's server or something. That's what I thought it was doing when it said "Downloading profile, please wait"(or something similar, anyway). But no, it didn't! Because, f*ck (Microsoft's) logic! I could write a whole book titled "My adventures of trying to get GFWL to work in order to play some GTA IV".

I share yours and brian.'s pain, specially with the downloading profile crap, one time specially I had to download an update 3 times for it to apply and update the client, that means 5 minutes of downloading, then followed by a minute or two of my system rebooting then having to log on to GFWL, and hey that might not seem that much, but for some reason beyond me, I had to do it 3 times.

Another time my game for some reason didn't want to start up, it showed me the Social Login, then when it went to the splash screen the GFWL window popup and it would freeze, I had to redownload the entire game (16 FRUCKING GBs), not only wasting my time, but also wasting one of my installs.

Optimisation. I feel like R* sh*ts on our heads with those ridiculously bad console ports. I mean come on, people here have made MODS that enhance graphics AND improve in-game performance. R* has millions($$$), can't they do better? Also, about the patches: When you release a patch for something, it's supposed to fix or make something better, right? I find it unacceptable to release a patch that is actually not preferred due to reducing the game's performance. Especially from a franchise like GTA. I also remember the game needing 1.5GB VRAM at a 1366x768 resolution....

Savegames. A result of GFWL, I believe. Why can't they just do it the old good way? A GTA folder in "My Documents" and the files there. Is it so difficult?

I kind of have a theory about the GTA V PC version, wanna hear it? Great, here it is:

I think this time around it will be a good port. Why? well, apparently many people have reported about how the PC version of Max Payne 3 is not a port, but that it's being created by a separate team and has been from day one, not only that, but it's already been confirmed to have many features available to PCs, like Direct X11 and tessellation, features which are not available on most PC ports, and will be released two weeks after the console version (Better than 6 months later, and I still believe that MP3 will release later only because they don't want direct competition with Diablo III) so it will probably be an excellent port.

Now the thing is, if R* is spending all this time and money on making sure the PC version of MP3 will be the best as it can be, why wouldn't they also spend also spend all that hard work in making sue the PC version of GTA V be excellent too?

So you heard it here first folks, not only will the GTA V PC version will be released alongside consoles, (or nearer instead of 6 months later), but it won't use GFWL, and will be awesomely optimized.

But maybe I'm just a dreamer. sigh.gif

Edited by xNewtype Acex

wildstyle91
8. The limit is 8. And I reached that limit before I installed it 8 times because GFWL forgets you have the game between some of the past updates to the client.

I didn't know about this limit of how many times you can install it. Never had any other problems with it however, it can be useful for sending someone in multiplayer a message.

Wildstyle91 what are you talking about? i think you are wrong but ok.

I don't always post or send PMs but, when I do, it's spam.

BANHAMMER

About what?

I don't always post or send PMs but, when I do, it's spam.

BANHAMMER

I've done plenty of OS reinstalls and it's installed fine every time with the same key so there must be plenty of times you can re use it.

In my case, I was going with my sister's husbands hard copy DVD ROM, for PC we're talking

Let's make clear Live and Games for Windows Live are for PC, MS also has control over Xbox Live, and there's to be some integration of the LIVE umbrella in the future. I'm not hearing a lot about this presently, but Windows 8 will start to usher in some rad changes I believe

Oh, come on now. Key activation limit? I guess I'm just going to play on the cracked version in the near future. At least it's not going to take me by surprise tounge.gif. Can I somehow find how many times I've used the key?

I kind of have a theory about the GTA V PC version, wanna hear it? Great, here it is:

I think this time around it will be a good port. Why? well, apparently many people have reported about how the PC version of Max Payne 3 is not a port, but that it's being created by a separate team and has been from day one, not only that, but it's already been confirmed to have many features available to PCs, like Direct X11 and tessellation, features which are not available on most PC ports, and will be released two weeks after the console version (Better than 6 months later, and I still believe that MP3 will release later only because they don't want direct competition with Diablo III) so it will probably be an excellent port.

Now the thing is, if R* is spending all this time and money on making sure the PC version of MP3 will be the best as it can be, why wouldn't they also spend also spend all that hard work in making sue the PC version of GTA V be excellent too?

So you heard it here first folks, not only will the GTA V PC version will be released alongside consoles, (or nearer instead of 6 months later), but it won't use GFWL, and will be awesomely optimized.

But maybe I'm just a dreamer. sigh.gif

That's very good to know. I can just hope from now on. biggrin.gif

Edited by Lefteris

Officially, you have two limits:

* 5 Securom activations - if you revoke the license on uninstallation, the counter should go down. Even if you max out your Securom activations, reportedly their support is rather friendly and if you have a proof of purchase they'll reset the counter for you.

* 10 GFWL activations - this is a very variable number, in some cases there appears not to be any limit, in some cases the limit is 5. These activations can not be revoked and it appears the conditions that trigger the need for a new activation are not known. I speak this from my troubleshoot experience, not private one. Another issue is, again from other peoples' tales, that when you call their support to get this thing sorted out, there is a rather significant chance you'll get redirected to the wrong department so it may take a while until you get to the person who's actually listening and understands what you're hoping to achieve.

Sadly, there have been some serious technical issues with GTAIV; ranging from performance to gamplay basics. Even worse is, many people insist on stating that "the game is fine as is" so I have a feeling that about the time GTAV comes around, GTAIV woes will be all but not forgotten. Its obvious it's very hard to assess the real percentage of people having problems basing on forum posts, but on the other hand one has to understand that not everyone speaks English well enough to seek help on an English speaking forum; not everyone will seek help online, in fact many people will just move on to other games instead of wasting hours upon hours on trying to get this one run right.

We shouldn't forget however, that in the past 4 years, GTAIV is the only game AFAIK Steam offered reimbursements for - that has to count for something.

From my personal experience, I can report these problems:

* performance issues, obviously: my main gripe was that you can't lower the settings in order to gain performance, there is no more proof I need personally to take this game for what it is, a very bad port

* savegame issues: I have played GTAIV and both expansions and let me tell you- the only title I managed to complete on my own was TLAD, with both other games I had to use downloaded savegames past certain points, it's that ridiculous

* some random problems

- over various occasions I had the looping sound problem which happened on a 1 day fresh Windows 7 install and it didn't go away until the next time I reinstalled; same windows, same drivers, same basic minimum software installed

- I also had the RESC error at times, it would just pop up randomly without any obvious reasons nor fixes

- I had some performance issues regarding the old RGSC client, it liked to slow down my machine to a crawl at times

As far as GFWL goes, I didn't have any problems with it as I used xliveless 90% of the time.

Edited by mkey82

xNewtype Acex

We shouldn't forget however, that in the past 4 years, GTAIV is the only game AFAIK Steam offered reimbursements for - that has to count for something.

Steam also offered reimbursements for From Dust and its spectacularly shltastic brand of "you always need to be connected to the internet or else you can't play" DRM.

I hope GFWL won't be on GTA V... I hope they'll follow the same strategy used on Max Payne 3, and since they'll start using this "Crew" thing for multiplayer, maybe GFWL is gone for good on the PC.

Honest Bill

I agree.. Why take the time to communicate something to people in a topic without making it clear what you're talking about.. Why the hell would people want to google just to search for your opinions which they didn't ask for?

If you create the topic, obviously you are the one who has something to say and wants to share it with the world.. Why not just establish what the acronym means first, and then you can use the abbreviations after that if you are concerned about finger fatigue.

It pisses me off how people can't spend an extra 2 seconds to google something they don't know. Seriously it is faster to google something than having to ask and waiting for replies.

An abbreviation can have ten thousand different meanings, so f*ck you.

G1T

Steam also offered reimbursements for From Dust and its spectacularly shltastic brand of "you always need to be connected to the internet or else you can't play" DRM.

Didn't know that. So, it's a select few, is it?

I agree.. Why take the time to communicate something to people in a topic without making it clear what you're talking about.. Why the hell would people want to google just to search for your opinions which they didn't ask for?

If you create the topic, obviously you are the one who has something to say and wants to share it with the world.. Why not just establish what the acronym means first, and then you can use the abbreviations after that if you are concerned about finger fatigue.

lol which so complicated abbreviations did you guys not understand?

BTW, lol is loughs out loud.

BTW is by the way.

Sunrise Driver

If you don't know what GfWL stands for than maybe you, console playa, shouldn't post in PC topic at all?

Honest Bill

Didn't know that. So, it's a select few, is it?

lol which so complicated abbreviations did you guys not understand?

BTW, lol is loughs out loud.

BTW is by the way.

Complicated?

No just unknown.. If people aren't familiar with them, then no amount of guessing is ever going to get us to the right conclusion.

BTW, and such are already well know and agreed upon abbreviations.. Even they aren't great but at least you can use context to guess what they might mean.

GFWL could mean anything. It's great that you were instantly familiar with it's meaning, but others aren't. Would it not be easier to establish what is actually meant in the OP, and thereafter the abbreviation/acronym, will be easily translated.

Or even better: savegames should be stored WITHIN the game folder. I personally hate when a program puts crap all over my computer (registry, appdata, my documents, program files, etc). I want everything to be stored in one place, or at least the savegames for god's sake.

AND PROFILES! I want to be able to make multiple profiles in case my brother or anyone else plays with the game on the same system.

D:\Games\Grand Theft Auto V\profiles\<YOURNAMEHERE>\savegames\...

that's it!

Edited by Gege

xNewtype Acex

btbwuh and Honest Bill I invite you both to google GFWL and post here the first link that shows up, actually that would take you guys too much time, here's a picture:

user posted image

A gorillion links telling you what it is, not so hard and it only took 0.16 seconds! (Wow!)

@xNewtype Acex: At no point did I say I didn't know what GFWL meant, but rather when one uses an uncommon abbreviation (or even one they made up) and doesn't explain what it means for those who don't. That's what bugs me. And then the abbreviation they do use can have more than one meaning, and sometimes either meaning could make sense in the context, so IMO it would be easier and wiser if the author of the post just takes the few seconds to write it out.

And yes, I wrote IMO on purpose. Which means 'in my opinion' btw.

G1T

xNewtype Acex

@xNewtype Acex: At no point did I say I didn't know what GFWL meant, but rather when one uses an uncommon abbreviation (or even one they made up) and doesn't explain what it means for those who don't. That's what bugs me. And then the abbreviation they do use can have more than one meaning, and sometimes either meaning could make sense in the context, so IMO it would be easier and wiser if the author of the post just takes the few seconds to write it out.

And yes, I wrote IMO on purpose. Which means 'in my opinion' btw.

Now don't get me wrong either I do agree, he should have explain what GFWL meant since most people here are console users, however my point is that writing this:

Is gonna take you longer than actually googling the goddamn thing, and yes sometimes abbreviations mean different things, but I think it is quite obvious that in the context the OP is using it, it would refer to something video game related.

Oh, OP is original poster by the way, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Point 1. the guy has the right to express himself any goddamn way he chooses to

Point 2. it's up to you understand the content

Point 3. I doubt anyone who has played this game on the PC doesn't know what GFWL stands for and those people this topic relates to

Point 4. I doubt "Games For Windows Live, optimization, savegames...." can even fit in the new topic area.