"Max Payne" Art Style

Nebby

In the recent event's of Rockstar* yelling at me about abusive behavior (irrelevant, I know) I decided to make a MP3 art style tutorial... tounge.gif

Step 1. Find a picture you'd like to use... i.e. anything dramatic I guess... I'll be using Niko's default artwork.

user posted image

Step 2. You must duplicate the layer and set it's style as "Screen".

user posted image

Now you must change the opacity of the duplicated layer to "74%". Now, after you do that, click on the drag tool and adjust the layer's until you get a good enough blur effect...

Step 3. Now that you've done that, click on the duplicated layer and go to Image > Adjustment's > Variations.... After you've done this click on "More Magenta" or "More Blue". After you've done this proceed to step four.

Step 4. You now need to open a new document the size of 3x3. After you've done this draw a line in the middle and save it as a new pattern.

After you've done that you must create a new layer and fill it completely black. Now go into blending option's and select overlay. Now find a light pink color and select it. Change the opacity to 30 - 40%. After you've done that go into Patern Overlay and select the pattern you just created... Change the opacity of it to 43%.

Now just change the opacity of the layer itself to 20% and you're done!

Result's:

user posted image

You can mess around with your creation more as I made this fairly quickly.*

Too bad that i don't know photoshop that well to know how to do some of these tounge.gif

Great tutorial anyway! icon14.gifcookie.gif

Narcis_speed6

Pretty close, only rockstar games is using a palette of colors to simulate the bad frequency, see 1 2 3

Tutorial added to the GFX Tutorial Archive, Thank you for the contribution. icon14.gif

Pretty close, only rockstar games is using a palette of colors to simulate the bad frequency, see 1 2 3

Tutorial added to the GFX Tutorial Archive, Thank you for the contribution. icon14.gif

Yeah - I was trying to recreate that but eventually got clueless. happy.gif

Thank's, guy's. Maybe I'll end up fixing it later. tounge.gificon14.gif

Nice tutorial, Method. icon14.gif

user posted image

But just one thing: the Step 5 is a bit confusing, imo. When you say "Now find a light pink color and select it", you mean that we should fill the black layer with this pink? And then change the opacity of the layer?

And when we have to go to the Pattern Overlay and fill the layer with this Pattern, you mean in the same layer or in another one?

Maybe I'm a bit slow today, my bad. But good work. wink.gif

Narcis_speed6

Like I said, is a good idea to use a variation of colors (step 3).

user posted image

http://i.imgur.com/qx1Pi.png

user posted image

http://i.imgur.com/hF3HC.png

I did it using the effect only on the right side.

Very good tutorial. I've always liked this kind of effect.

I used a similar method when I created this BF3 style poster. It looks much nicer though when it's the entire image that's duplicated like yours, instead of each individual layer. This will be usefull in future. icon14.gif

Thank's guy's. smile.gif

Like Narcis suggested - using a variety of color's really does make it look more Rockstar* authentic:

user posted image

Cheer's. inlove.gif

• 10 months later...