Pepper spray...

Saggy

I decided to get some pepper spray for myself the other day. Didn't seem like a bad item to have personally. Spray an assailant in the face, run away while they're blind and can't breath, call for help and don't worry about them dying... Sounds like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Well, as I started looking at the different kinds there were, I started to notice that it seems like the idea here is that only chicks use pepper spray. Well, chicks and security guards... So apparently the only two people that really want pepper spray are chicks that are afraid of being raped in parking lots, and security guards that are afraid of being raped in prisons... Inteeereeesting.

Seriously though, it's like every other one was like, "So she can feel empowered!" or "Handles even the most violent offenders!". It really didn't seem to be marketed so much as a personal defense item as you would think, but more of like a, "Oh, so you're a security guard and required to use this," or, "Oh, so you want to get this for your girlfriend."

I mean, I could say that it was emasculating... Really though it just made me feel kind of like a bitch. I mean, I knew in my head that it's a pretty reasonable, practical item to have, but the man in me didn't like the contention that the only reason I would want it is if I was a timid woman or a security guard.

I kind of wonder if it has a bit to do with the gun culture in America. I mean, it seems like it's just assumed that you should get a firearm, and like there should be some kind of justification for getting something like pepper spray. For that reason I think it would be interesting to see how it is marketed in countries that do not have the rights to bear personal firearms.

Anyway, kind of random, but I just thought it was kind of odd. Made me feel kind of silly for getting what I thought was a pretty reasonable thing to have.

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

Personal defence items like that aren't an every day thing in Ireland. I've never seen it advertised, I don't even know if it can be bought here. Who gives a f*ck how it's marketed anyway, if you feel you need it get it.

user posted image

SRS Incorporated

Don't rely on it. The ones available to the public are really 'pepper'and water (sometimes oil) sprays.

Some (many) people who are hyped up don't even notice when they get sprayed.

If the wind is in the wrong direction you may eat your own spray.

Some localities have laws against it's possession by 'civilians', after all the cops, and cabbies don't want to be sprayed, and cops don't care about your individual safety.

Some 'professional' safety experts claim a Whistle (or mini-compressed air horn) will give you a better chance.

The market is women, because they're the 'weaker' sex. Pshaw... anyone can use the stuff. Just consider where you will carry it.

Did anyone saw the Jackass episode where they tested the self defence methods? Johnny Knoxville was really impressed by the pepperspray and the tazer. But I think he voted pepperspray first place.

is pepperspray even sold in the UK?

does it actually contain pepper?

7cg1vNw.png

Pepper spray and CS spray are both illegal under Section 5(b) of the Firearms Act in the UK. That's a suggested sentence of 6 months in prison.

And yes, it contains concentrated Capsicum, the compound that makes Chillies hot. Though, whilst the hottest chilli in the word is around 1,500,000 Scoville units, pepper spray is between 3,000,000 and 25,000,000.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

In the United Kingdom, "Any weapon of whatever description designed or adapted for the discharge of any noxious liquid, gas or other thing" is a Prohibited Weapon, under S.5 of The Firearms Act 1968. The same act covers other prohibited weapons such as automatic firearms and rocket launchers, all of which can be possessed only by permission of the Home Secretary.

Pepper spray, also known as OC spray (from "Oleoresin Capsicum"), OC gas, and capsicum spray, is a lachrymatory agent (a chemical compound that irritates the eyes to cause tears, pain, and even temporary blindness)

I've seen some labeled as containg 'chili' powder in water base. So Read the Label.

Thanks Sivi and Lil Weasel, saved a trip to wikipedia tounge.gif.

7cg1vNw.png

pepper spray is between 3,000,000 and 25,000,000.

Sure? According to wiki 100% pure Capsaicin has about 16 million SHU (scoville heat units). So pepperspray has even more than pure Capsaicin? This is a really corrosive substance.

Edited by NaidRaida

Pepper spray and CS spray are both illegal under Section 5(b) of the Firearms Act in the UK. That's a suggested sentence of 6 months in prison.

And yes, it contains concentrated Capsicum, the compound that makes Chillies hot. Though, whilst the hottest chilli in the word is around 1,500,000 Scoville units, pepper spray is between 3,000,000 and 25,000,000.

This inevitably leads to the question: Can you cook with this stuff?

user posted image

pepper spray is between 3,000,000 and 25,000,000.

Sure? According to wiki 100% pure Capsaicin has about 16 million SHU (scoville heat units). So pepperspray has even more than pure Capsaicin?

Some pepper sprays use synthetic Capsicum derivatives or related chemicals which are vastly more potent- then again, I suppose by that logic they're not really "pepper spray" any more. There's one derivative which is something like 1,000 times more powerful than pure Capsicum, though I don't know whether it's used in "pepper spray". The Russians have done some pretty nasty things with aerosolised incapacitating agents, though.

Untitled-1.jpg
AMD Ryzen 5900X (4.7GHz All-Core PBO2) | Gigabye X570S Pro | 32GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB 3600MHz CL16

EK-Quantum Reflection D5 | XSPC D5 PWM | TechN CPU Blocks | HardwareLabs GTS & GTX 360 Radiators
Corsair AX750 | Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic XL | ASUS RTX 4080 TUF @2970MHz | Sabrant Rocket Plus 1TB
Sabrant Rocket 2TB | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | 2x ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Q Acoustics 2010i | Sabaj A4

na89340qv0n34b09q340

From the few personal defense discussions I've seen it seems that men prefer knives. With pepper spray you can spray some guy with your girly irritants, but with a manly knife you can risk a prison sentence, and get holes in your pocket.

Pepper spray seems kind of expensive when you can get twice the amount of febreeze for the same price. And this thing is just terrible.

Does anyone else think it's insane that pepper spray would be made illegal?

izx6.jpg

jackass2009

That's why you always carry a gun and a concealed carry permit wherever you go.

Mister Pink

Does anyone else think it's insane that pepper spray would be made illegal?

Not really. Everything sold as a defence-item has a flipside and can be an offencding item. Like in the U.S. you guys talk about defence when talking about firearms. The right to defend yourselves. Fact of the matter is they're not used to exclusively to defend. They're used to rob and murder.

I think the logic behind making pepper spray illegal is to keep it out of idiots hands or at least reduce the chance of idiots getting their hands on it.

The kind I got is 10% OC and apparently 4,000,000 on the scoville... Think that will be very effective? It was actually one of the highest percentages of OC I could find.

zoo3891, that's the kind I got lol. What don't you like about it? I thought it looked pretty gimmicky, but I liked that it has a range of 13 feet and is really wind resistant at 90 MPH wow.gif I'm still trying to decide if I like it or not.

About knives... Here is the strange thing about knives. They're not actually legal to carry for self-defense or as weapons where I live, Washington state. I mean, you can possess and carry knives, but if you were to say, "Oh, it's for self-defense," it's seen as carrying it as a weapon and that is a no-no. Not to mention daggers, double-bladed edges, boot knives and switch blades are all illegal. Plus if I ever did use a knife in a "defensive" way I would probably be arrested for assault or murder. That's the big reasons I don't consider the knife a weapon. Then on top of that, it's an up close weapon, whereas pepper spray can give me range.

I don't know, it just seems that people dismiss it over something else and it seems like good stuff to have to me. At least in the realm of your non-lethal type of defense weapons. In my state I can't even carry a collapsable baton, and even if a stun gun was reliable it wouldn't give me range. I could get one of those $1000 TAZER guns for range, but then again the most expensive mase is like $30.

I guess I'm just saying I don't see why it's not a more common option. I mean, it seems pretty effective, why else would it be used so much in the police and correctional worlds?

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

sounds like a dangerous weapon to use. I think it would be more humane to let a rapist have his way with a woman than spray him in the face

Face the Fact: There is NO way an individual can use a product as a defensive device.

Take a Ju-Do course. And, hope that doesn't make you a 'person looking for trouble' when you go to court.

In my city the city code says a person (except a police officer) can't own, possess, or blow-upon a 'bean whistle'. How's that for a Joke of a ordinance, that's all but forgotten?

Equiping for Defense is dangerous. smile.gif

Not really. Everything sold as a defence-item has a flipside and can be an offencding item.

That's a flawed argument, though. You can't take it out of everyone's hands just because some people will abuse it, especially when you consider the fact that the people who would abuse it still can abuse it. I don't see how pepper spray is even comparable to a firearm or a knife - it's a completely non-lethal item. Let's say a mugger pulls you into an alley, and threatens to spray you in the face if you don't give him your wallet. Tell me with a straight face you're going to hand it over just as easily as you would if they had a handgun or a knife.

I'm willing to respect England and the UK's stance on civilian firearm ownership, but outlawing pepperspray? No offense, but that's f*cking stupid.

Slosten.gif

I'm willing to respect England and the UK's stance on civilian firearm ownership, but outlawing pepperspray? No offense, but that's f*cking stupid.

It's classified as a prohibited weapon in Canada.

You can purchase dog spray or bear spray, though. However, if you use it to defend yourself against another person, you might get in hot water.

clEsyRO.gif

Ask a NY Cabbie what it's like to get a spray of pepper in the face, before he got punched after being rendered defenceless. They won't ask, you just get the spray and the beating, just before your wallet gets liberated. smile.gif

I have a can of CS gas, I'm sure it's pretty illegal for me to have and I would't take it anywhere with me.

Unless I was looking for someone in particular to spray.

the ony CS I've handled were Grenades, you make it sound like an aerosol canister?

I started to notice that it seems like the idea here is that only chicks use pepper spray.

Yup. My wife has(I should say had) pepper spray. tounge2.gif

I'm one of the few people in this city who doesn't have a gun(legal or not). My ultra pacifistic/anti gun wife has even though about getting a gun and a permit to carry because of the climate around here.

The thing that always perplexed me about civilian pepper spray is the safety on the nozzle. It always seemed like it would take too much time to manipulate in a panic situation.

Practice reduces/remove panic. That's why they have life boat drills (or used to.)

I kind of wonder if it has a bit to do with the gun culture in America.

It might be related, but it seems both the laws and customs are fairly screwed up all over the place. I was looking at what weapon would be least trouble here in Ohio, and came up with a sword. You can carry an actual sword on the streets with no paperwork whatsoever, so long as it's not concealed. A whole array of far less dangerous weapons and defensive items can get you into trouble simple because they are concealable.

Prior to filing a bug against any of my code, please consider this response to common concerns.

Finn 7 five 11

Can of deoderant and a lighter would do fine for me.

I'm sure when someone is trying to mug you they wouldn't notice you digging both hands into your pockets and then attempting to light the deodorant without putting the lighter out.

Besides the flame from that isn't that hot and is easily dodged, I have had my fair share of fun with deodorant.

@Jackass not everyone wants to defend themselves by killing someone, some people would rather get mugged than shoot.

Don't even get me started on the lawsuit you would have on your hands, the same thing applies for knives.

Edited by finn4life