Interiors in seperate cells?

inflamedeyeball

inflamedeyeball

One of the major differences between IV and the III era is that the interiors are no longer in separate cells. While this looks promising in theory and actually has some advantages in practice, it has causes some problems as well. Here's my take how it worked out in IV.

Pro's:

- Police can actually follow you inside, and you can have a shoot-out in your save house, which is arguably better than an army of officers waiting for you outside the door, waiting for you to exit the building.

- No loading screens when you enter / exit a building.

- The world feels more 'whole' if everything is open.

- The windows could potentially actually work, and show the world outside instead of being a painting.

Cons:

- Most of the time the windows in your savehouse actually didn't work, and were paintings like the good old days.

- Separate cells would potentially mean that interiors could be a lot more detailed, without putting more strain on the engine.

- There was no indication whatsoever which rooms were enterable and which weren't. That caused me to constantly walk into a closed door when exploring, which was frustrating as hell and looked stupid (LA Noire fixed this by adding golden door handles to doors that were usable).

I know that the interiors are basically confirmed to be in the same cell by the Ace Liquor scene in the trailer (with its door ajar), but for all we know the game is far from finished, and the separate interiors could make a return.

What are your thought on this matter? How should interiors be handled in V?

Both would be ok in my opinion

I don't really care about that, both got Pros and cons smile.gif

it was perfectly fine in GTA IV in my opinion, and i don't want them to go back to how it was in the III era games

enjoithepain

I like the GTA IV way better, because like you said it makes the game feel more open and "whole"

I just really hope there's more of these enterable interiors in V

IV's much better at this, it's another technological advancement, why would Rockstar go back to the previous scripts?

Death2Drugs

I think R* can add interiors like they did with IV. Technology has come a long way where we don't need to go back to the old days of loading interiors.

GhostFaze64

Cons:

- Separate cells would potentially mean that interiors could be a lot more detailed, without putting more strain on the engine.

- There was no indication whatsoever which rooms were enterable and which weren't. That caused me to constantly walk into a closed door when exploring, which was frustrating as hell and looked stupid (LA Noire fixed this by adding golden door handles to doors that were usable).

I know that the interiors are basically confirmed to be in the same cell by the Ace Liquor scene in the trailer (with its door ajar), but for all we know the game is far from finished, and the separate interiors could make a return.

I can't believe you were foolish enough to walk into a closed door.

What a moron.

Also when you enter a building the outside world becomes less detailed and almost vanishes.~

So don't talk about strain on the engine, do some research, idiota.

Edited by GhostFaze64

#FACT:GTA V is coming out in 2013.

#FACT:Nothing will happen on the 24th of May 2012. (Other than uncontrollable laughter.)

Chill out children, wipe your tears

Well to reduce strain, they could have it that the room only loads once you enter the hallway, or near vicinity. Then once your inside, it would remove chunks of far away data.

GhostFaze64

Well to reduce strain, they could have it that the room only loads once you enter the hallway, or near vicinity. Then once your inside, it would remove chunks of far away data.

That is exactly what GTA IV does.

sigh.gif

#FACT:GTA V is coming out in 2013.

#FACT:Nothing will happen on the 24th of May 2012. (Other than uncontrollable laughter.)

Chill out children, wipe your tears

Cons:

- Most of the time the windows in your savehouse actually didn't work, and were paintings like the good old days.

-This would be the same though if they were separate cells

-Interiors are just as detailed as the exterior world, its consistent.

-Enterable doors are noticeable enough, but it would be the same thing with if they were separate cells.

I like how it is now, and am glad it's not going back to the III era.

allhailkingryan

I'd like it like LA Noire where enterable doors have a shiny golden handle. It's loads more subtle than a marker, plus loading when entering a building is frustrating.

superhobo666

in terms of R*, multi cell maps are a thing of the past, that was the III era technology, the HD/IV gen offers much more.

we'll see more of what we saw in GTA IV: hollowed out buildings with interiors accessible from outside.

One of the major differences between IV and the III era is that the interiors are no longer in separate cells. While this looks promising in theory and actually has some advantages in practice, it has causes some problems as well. Here's my take how it worked out in IV.

Pro's:

- Police can actually follow you inside, and you can have a shoot-out in your save house, which is arguably better than an army of officers waiting for you outside the door, waiting for you to exit the building.

- No loading screens when you enter / exit a building.

- The world feels more 'whole' if everything is open.

- The windows could potentially actually work, and show the world outside instead of being a painting.

Cons:

What are your thought on this matter? How should interiors be handled in V?

I want it like in IV, maybe some places can be in seperate cells..

1whitebuddah

a bit off topic but did anyone notice that sometimes in gta 4 depending on the weather in game, the graphics would change, sometimes they would be really detailed and other times they would be low textures, i don't know if it was just me or not

a bit off topic but did anyone notice that sometimes in gta 4 depending on the weather in game, the graphics would change, sometimes they would be really detailed and other times they would be low textures, i don't know if it was just me or not

It's not just you. This is why I love the weather cheat. I always prefer IV's look when it's dark and raining.

Usually smaller red doors indicated enertable interiors. Big ones deemed non enterable

it's just a weird feeling for me about 'separate cells' like in SA. When inside, I can't get over the fact that I'm in another dimension/world, somewhere high in the sky. But they wanted you to believe you were actually inside the house.. just a weird feeling.

I love looking out windows too much to have 'separate cells' ..really hoping for better views of the alive city for V's safehouses, which I'm sure R* won't disappoint us in.. I hope.

I know it's done to keep things running smoothly but I didn't like in IV that many interiors' windows were only transparent on the inside with paint-on windows on the outside. But many other interiors could be seen through windows from the exterior. And all but a few windows were unbreakable. The window in Brian's house in TLAD is one of the few that was transparent on both sides, breakable, and enterable. The engine is capable of it but it was used very sparingly.