Player Inventory

Jedi Master Tom

Jedi Master Tom

I haven't seen any topics on this, so I thought I would be the one to get the ball rolling on this subject.

Personally, I really enjoyed having an inventory in RDR. Being able to actually sell all those flowers and animal skins that I collected out in the wilderness really gave me this huge sense of immersion into the game world.

But would it make sense for GTA V?

I believe it would. A simple menu that gives you access to items you've collected, stolen, or earned would go a long way in adding depth to the overall game.

Some may argue that this is a sandbox game, not an RPG where inventory management is a key feature. And I agree. It should not be an ultra in depth weapon/armor spreadsheet of stats and info. Just a simple menu that could show, for example, how much jewlery you just stole from that grannies corpse. Or how many cans of spray paint you have left...

What is your opinion?

The best person to speak to about this is Grope_4_That_Date - he's got some good ideas on this.

Most definitley I hope its in - I think it will be too. Burglary and Pawn shops (to refer to Grope!) possibly?

For me, no.

Thats a little too 'skyrimmy' for me.

(i sometimes hate it when people say "this isnt 'blabla') but in this case i am using that myself. tounge.gif

I hope not. It's Grand Theft Auto. If we have any more inventory other than a selection of weapons it'll kill the classic GTA feel.

For me, no.

Thats a little too 'skyrimmy' for me.

(i sometimes hate it when people say "this isnt 'blabla') but in this case i am using that myself. tounge.gif

Why can't they use an inventory system similar to RDR thats updated in some way? I'm pretty sure GTA V wouldn't need an inventory/item system as in depth as Skyrim.

WhiteArcticFox

I would've said yes, but come to think of it, I just think it'll be better if it's just cash and weaponry lying on the ground, not jewelry, horse skin, hood of a car, a keyboard you stole from your grandparent.

Think of San Andreas, Vice City or any GTA game where you would need to go to the store and sell jewelry you took from an old lady you killed across the street instead of just walking over her corpse and you get $50. confused.gif

Maybe have inventory for your weapons like in Resident Evil or something ( not as irritating though and time-consuming ) but not jewelry and stuff like that. I'm thinking of a Quick-menu system that could utilize this where it'll work for all players and not upset the older GTA players that have been playing since dawn of time or something.

Edited by WhiteArcticFox

I hope not. It's Grand Theft Auto. If we have any more inventory other than a selection of weapons it'll kill the classic GTA feel.

Its called progress. You must hate when things improve.

I would've said yes, but come to think of it, I just think it'll be better if it's just cash and weaponry lying on the ground, not jewelry, horse skin, hood of a car, a keyboard you stole from your grandparent.

Think of San Andreas, Vice City or any GTA game where you would need to go to the store and sell jewelry you took from an old lady you killed across the street instead of just walking over her corpse and you get $50. confused.gif

Not necessarily need - just a choice.

Yeah i guess it could be useful in some ways.. we have made it without one for so long though, so i think we can manage another GTA without an inventory.

WhiteArcticFox

Think of San Andreas, Vice City or any GTA game where you would need to go to the store and sell jewelry you took from an old lady you killed across the street instead of just walking over her corpse and you get $50.  confused.gif

Not necessarily need - just a choice.

Yeah, I'm gonna think of a system that'll work for GTA and not ruin the whole "classical" feel of GTA for those who enjoy the older GTA games and don't like much change.

how is that improving? Killing the classic gta feel is improving? No.

chuckberry04
I haven't seen any topics on this, so I thought I would be the one to get the ball rolling on this subject.

Personally, I really enjoyed having an inventory in RDR. Being able to actually sell all those flowers and animal skins that I collected out in the wilderness really gave me this huge sense of immersion into the game world.

I believe it would. A simple menu that gives you access to items you've collected, stolen, or earned would go a long way in adding depth to the overall game.

Some may argue that this is a sandbox game, not an RPG where inventory management is a key feature. And I agree. It should not be an ultra in depth weapon/armor spreadsheet of stats and info. Just a simple menu that could show, for example, how much jewlery you just stole from that grannies corpse. Or how many cans of spray paint you have left...

What is your opinion?

Lol, you can collect flowers in RDR? Sounds like fun.

Exactly. It's ok for some things to evolve, but it's better to leave others untouched. If you want inventory in games then go play the Elder Scrolls or World of Warcraft or something. Keep that stuff out of GTA, it doesn't belong in a game like that.

What is your opinion?

I'd rather pick flowers in a videogame than check my balance on an ATM in game when I could just check the pause menu instead.

Shreddy Krueger

It could work. Could be very tedious as mentioned. Instead of picking up a wad of cash, you now have items you may have to bring to different locations to sell for a maximum price. It worked in RDR , IMO, because the overall game was slower-paced, and travelling by horse across the landscape was all part of the immersion and atmosphere, so hunting cougars, skinning them, and going to a shop to sell made much more sense then blasting a wild animal and having it drop 8$. With GTA, i think of it as a much faster-paced game, and I think having to take that extra time to take your items to a particular spot to cash in would slow the game a little too much.

Also think about if you want to go on a killing spree. If you get busted/wasted, do you keep all the items you've collected, do you lose some/all of them? It seems like it'd be too complicated and uneccessary.

What is your opinion?

I'd rather pick flowers in a videogame than check my balance on an ATM in game when I could just check the pause menu instead.

I take it you never killed people at the ATM and took all their money that came from it, flower boy.

inflamedeyeball

I say the more RPG elements the better (I love the Elder Scrolls games).

I can totally understand it killing the GTA vibe, but it was one of the things that made Ed's wishlist such a good read for me.

WhiteArcticFox

Ok, I can't think of an inventory system that wouldn't kill the classical feel of Grand Theft Auto

BUT

I thought of a system that could benefit everyone, especially on Consoles.

Clothing closet inventory system

I don't know how this works on the PC, but on Consoles finding certain clothes can be tiresome and too time-consuming, where to find a certain shirt you'll need to go through the all the shirts you've got in the closet and it takes quite a while for the computer to render and put that shirt on your character.

So, how about a menu that gives you list of all the clothes you've got, be it hats, facial wear, accessories what ever, this will make changing clothes a lot easier and faster.

Who doesn't remember in GTA : San Andreas where you were buying clothes, and you would spend maybe 10 minutes just to find a shirt because you had to wait for CJ to go to the changing booth, the game to load up the shirt and come back out again. It was really tiresome, they made it a tad faster in IV where the clothes just popped up on Niko.

A cloth changing menu when changing clothes, thoughts?

What is your opinion?

I take it you never killed people at the ATM and took all their money that came from it, flower boy.

Urmm, I have actually. Still one of many pointless features in IV, whereas 'flowerpicking' in RDR actually serves more than one purpose.

Ok, I can't think of an inventory system that wouldn't kill the classical feel of Grand Theft Auto

BUT

I don't know how this works on the PC, but on Consoles finding certain clothes can be tiresome and too time-consuming, where to find a certain shirt you'll need to go through the all the shirts you've got in the closet and it takes quite a while for the computer to render and put that shirt on your character.

So, how about a menu that gives you list of all the clothes you've got, be it hats, facial wear, accessories what ever, this will make changing clothes a lot easier and faster.

Who doesn't remember in GTA : San Andreas where you were buying clothes, and you would spend maybe 10 minutes just to find a shirt because you had to wait for CJ to go to the changing booth, the game to load up the shirt and come back out again. It was really tiresome, they made it a tad faster in IV where the clothes just popped up on Niko.

That'd be neat, but that'd only be ideal if Rockstar decided to put a ton of character customization in V like they did in SA.

1whitebuddah

no, its not the gta style, i do however hope they keep the weapon wheel, you could pull any weapon from the wheel in milliseconds.

WhiteArcticFox

BUT

That'd be neat, but that'd only be ideal if Rockstar decided to put a ton of character customization in V like they did in SA.

A lot of clothes like in San Andreas or few clothes like in GTA IV doesn't matter, if they're going to have clothes they should include a menu like this, because either way it's really tiresome having to have the computer render 6 clothes that you don't want to get to the clothes you want to have or need to have.

What is your opinion?

Urmm, I have actually. Still one of many pointless features in IV, whereas 'flowerpicking' in RDR actually serves more than one purpose.

Well, the way I see the ATM's in IV is added realism. Even if you don't use ATM's to check your money (which i agree would be dumb), you see other peds checking the ATM. And I would think that seeing people at the ATMs on the streets of NYC would be common.

highgrade89

I think having an inventory would be cool if it fits into the game, like if we could pick pocket people or steal things!! If we can rob/steal things I'm all for having an inventory!!:)

SEVEN-EIGHT LIONS 4 LIFE

Just an idea from the trailer. If you´re gonna go hiking on mountains, perhaps a hiking bag inventory?

But nothing like in RPG games, they are a horror.

spacer.png

Exactly. It's ok for some things to evolve, but it's better to leave others untouched. If you want inventory in games then go play the Elder Scrolls or World of Warcraft or something. Keep that stuff out of GTA, it doesn't belong in a game like that.

Did you absolutely hate San Andreas because of all the RPG style additions it had?

I just had an idea similar to this. Sort of how you equip certain Items to certain keys/buttons in Zelda, I think this would be an awesome feature. Instead of scrolling through all your weapons trying to find your favorite, you could have 2 to 3 weapons equipped on certain keys/buttons and all you would have to do is press that button/key to get that weapon out. Would save some time IMO.

What is your opinion?

So what you are saying is that flowers has a better value than money.

lol.gif

Money has always had the better value of things than pointless flower picking. And whenever i kill a ped at a ATM machine on GTA IV, the amount money sometimes between a couple of dollars to about a $1,000 at most

And flower picking is as pointless as it can get

Billy Benedict
Yeah i guess it could be useful in some ways.. we have made it without one for so long though, so i think we can manage another GTA without an inventory.

We also went quite awhile without voice acting, 3d exploration, airplanes, a huge selection of guns, car modding, gambling, buying clothes, and buying assets.

Its what they add in to make the game feel diffrent from its previous installment.

That is a retarded, and lazy game desingn stratgey, one used by activison and ea sports, not rockstar, the best and most talented in the buisness

Did you absolutely hate San Andreas because of all the RPG style additions it had?

No..GTA:SA was my favourite one.. What about it was RPG?