Does the release of the first trailer mean...

FoxTint

I was just wondering whether the release of the trailer in November '11 means they're in the closing stages of development and could be preparing for promotion/sponsorship and DLCs?

If they're still developing the game, wouldn't it annoy fans if for some reason a feature shown in the trailer is not included in the game?

I have no idea if game developers actually release a trailer when the game isn't fully ready. If R* are doing this then maybe they're rushing it...

Thoughts?

I think this is better off in the Trailer Analysis topic. smile.gif

Since all we have is a trailer, it means everything belongs there, stop pointing to this damn thread, this topic is actually a good example for a topic that SHOULDN'T GO THERE, let the mods decide FFS

Well IV trailers were released with things that were removed.

Niko hanging on the truck and chopper for example.

I was just wondering whether the release of the trailer in November '11 means they're in the closing stages of development and could be preparing for promotion/sponsorship and DLCs?

If they're still developing the game, wouldn't it annoy fans if for some reason a feature shown in the trailer is not included in the game?

I have no idea if game developers actually release a trailer when the game isn't fully ready. If R* are doing this then maybe they're rushing it...

Thoughts?

Right now Rockstar has as much ready for GTA V as they had in the 1st trailer for IV. It can take a year even starting today for them to release it.

R* wouldn't release a trailer if they had only just begun making the game, right?

I remember the trailer for Modern Warfare 2 (the first trailer) came out around May and the game actually came out in November-ish. Maybe they work like that.

I think the Trailer was mainly a bunch of really pretty pictures of really nice, even fantastic, virtual Los Santos builds, and the slightest tease of countryside. My mind was blown, in terms of fidelity and realism. I think that will all be in the released game.

However, the Trailer was pretty light on functional features, and so I am not too worried about disappointment from missing features - we hardly saw any.

I am expecting that the GTAV countryside will look as good as RDR and I will experience great disappointment if that is not the case.

The greatest example of video game disappointment based on pre-release media, was the non-existence of Niko's fingerless gloves in GTA IV happy.gif

1whitebuddah
R* wouldn't release a trailer if they had only just begun making the game, right?

I remember the trailer for Modern Warfare 2 (the first trailer) came out around May and the game actually came out in November-ish. Maybe they work like that.

modern warfare 2 took about a year and a half to develop and gta 5 is taking 3-4 maybe even 5 years to develop so i don't think its possible for them to do that, and plus activision are greedy bastards that push games out asap

Thoughts?

The quote in my signature should answer your question.

It's the OFFICIAL statement by Rockstar. FULL DEVELOPMENT doens't mean Final Stages of Developement or about to be released.

They're working on it RIGHT NOW and the first trailer is just to make sure everyone knows a GTA V will come out and what we can expect...animals, jetskis, golfing, bla bla..

• 2 weeks later...

PromX, this is more about asking if we know that by releasing a full on trailer for GTA V, versus some other promo tactic, it means they are still hard at work, or actually nearing completion, so it's not a WishList item, it's asking how much of the game is in the can, and it's been suggested more recently, this year, that there's 6 months to go, and should be ready to release before Christmas THIS YEAR!

The fact that they showed alot during the trailer makes me feel they are allot further ahead than they were with IV when it's debut trailer came out. The only problem is due to the maps rumoured size it's probably gonna be a bitch to beta test, I feel jealous and at the same time sorry for whoever is play testing that thing.

No, those both appeared in the final game; Niko hanging off the truck in a mission and a guy hanging from the helicopter when you take off in another mission.

To the press release shortly after the trailer, they specifically said it was in FULL DEVELOPMENT. Case closed.

I know they've been very busy in the last 2 years developing Red Dead, Midnight Club as well as helping Team Bondi with LA Noire...but they have a specific team working on these games (including Max Payne).

What I mean is, they would have a group working on MP, MC and RDR so the guys doing GTA (R* North) would be well into development. IV came out in 2008 and give about a year to a year and a half to come up with story ideas, protag. and city/landscape then I'm sure they are nearly in the closing stages of development for the game.

I think this is better off in the Trailer Analysis topic. smile.gif

Since all we have is a trailer, it means everything belongs there, stop pointing to this damn thread, this topic is actually a good example for a topic that SHOULDN'T GO THERE, let the mods decide FFS

Thank you sir.

Nah Tso Gud

No, those both appeared in the final game; Niko hanging off the truck in a mission and a guy hanging from the helicopter when you take off in another mission.

Yeeep, sure did... Just completed these about 3 days ago...

Fool.

kietotheworld

I'm not convinced the trailer was even in-game in all honesty. They just felt the need to release something given it had been so long since anything had been done.

GTA-Addicted

Don't forget about the gloves men !!! biggrin.gif

Also, a lot of Beta SA stuff that was shown in released screenshots were never released in the full game

I bet they are rushing, then the same pricks that were on their backs the whole time, will be complaining that they didnt have enough time to make it perfect. dozingoff.gif

Keep the faith in Christ. Never let video games get in the way of that.

ChillyPhilly

Thoughts?

The first preview for GTA IV was released after the first trailer IIRC. At that point, the game was 66% complete.

GTA V should be at least around 80% complete. It is a game not being built from scratch. Rockstar would also have learnt from their mistakes with IV. Judging by the trailer Rockstar still have to fix up the AI and the 'busyness' of the general setting. I'm predicting that the promotion campaign will hit the ground running shortly after Max Payne 3. Not right after, but perhaps late June/early July. Then we'll see an October release.

GTA V should be at least around 80% complete. It is a game not being built from scratch. Rockstar would also have learnt from their mistakes with IV. Judging by the trailer Rockstar still have to fix up the AI and the 'busyness' of the general setting.  I'm predicting that the promotion campaign will hit the ground running shortly after Max Payne 3. Not right after, but perhaps late June/early July. Then we'll see an October release.

^ This.

I think it is at least 80% complete too. R* should be done with single player and putting the finishing touches in multiplayer. regarding the AI thing I wouldnt think they would create a trailer with unfinished AI and traffic etc. Instead it maybe just a bug during the recording of the trailer gameplay, hopefully at least.

no doubt if the game was to release this year they have a lot of catching up to do in terms of marketing.

Thoughts?

The first preview for GTA IV was released after the first trailer IIRC. At that point, the game was 66% complete.

GTA V should be at least around 80% complete. It is a game not being built from scratch. Rockstar would also have learnt from their mistakes with IV. Judging by the trailer Rockstar still have to fix up the AI and the 'busyness' of the general setting. I'm predicting that the promotion campaign will hit the ground running shortly after Max Payne 3. Not right after, but perhaps late June/early July. Then we'll see an October release.

Very nice observation.

I agree, and I doubt R* would want to take the hype away from Max Payne 3 by releasing a new trailer or advertisements. I'm guessing the next trailer won't be for a few months.

80% complete compared to 66% is a lot. I know San Andreas was released in 2004, with Vice City Stories and Liberty City Stories coming shortly after, but did they have a seperate team working on these games because it seems a tad odd that they had 3 games in production (those being IV, VC stories, LC stories) all at once. It's a lot on their plate and maybe it's as if they needed to rush IV

StellarFish20

This.

Completely agree mate, and it makes sense. They start the real marketing in June/July and release the game in the last 2-3 months of the year that gives them at least 4 months to market a game which, lets be honest, does the marketing itself.

To the press release shortly after the trailer, they specifically said it was in FULL DEVELOPMENT.  Case closed.

DUDE how do u not get banned for that avatar lol. maybe a little invisible thong secures this case.