4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Sup3rman

The Titanic centennial

Slamman

Are you suggesting mechanically the same or just by way of outward appearance? It sounds like requirements would be imposed by tougher standards a 100 years later

Sup3rman

Well using the huge piston coal engines now would be outrageous, because coal is quite expensive now, you would need an awful lot of it and where can you find stokers these days that are willing to do the job? So best is to replicate the ship in everyt detail and just set it on one spot. I would suggest the Thompson graving dock, the place where finished Titanic.

unopieceo

Clearly it would have modern engines, larger rudder, stronger hull and all that modern tech but I'm pretty sure it could look exactly the same inside and out and still pass as a safe ship. I'm surprised it hasn't been done earlier tbh there are far larger and more expensive ships out there and theres money to be made.

lil weasel

It wasn't done before because there was no following and the limited number of staterooms would make its cost unsound.

Maybe a Nuclear engine would be something smile.gif

Pagelzilla

I don't think modern cruise ships allow passengers to actually walk up to the far bow or far stern. (at least that was true on the carnival cruise I took back in '98 or '99) So people won't be able to replicate "I'm the king of the world!" or Rose's suicide attempt.

Sup3rman

That "king of the world" thing was never allowed on the ship. Nobody was allowed on the forcastle deck, thats the bow deck. But they were allowed on the poop deck.

Slamman

Let me guess? To use the bathrooms?? ha ha ha

Seriously, they were sneaking up there in the movie, anywho

Saggy
I don't think modern cruise ships allow passengers to actually walk up to the far bow or far stern. (at least that was true on the carnival cruise I took back in '98 or '99) So people won't be able to replicate "I'm the king of the world!" or Rose's suicide attempt.

I don't know, I was on a ferry ride from Seattle or Orca Island about that time, and my sister and I were having tons of fun standing up on the rail like that.

OysterBarron

No you are correct and if your crossing the atlantic like titanic was then you dont want to be up the front because it's exceptionally windy, I watched the making of the queen elizibeth 2 and they covered that in the design aspect! the front section of the ship underneath the brige was incased with windows so people could enjoy the view without the wind.

Sup3rman

Ferry ride is a different thing then doing it on a ocean liner. When you fall into the ocean then theres a little chance they even notice it on a ship that big or even can respond so quikly to stop the ship and come after you. Also, on the Titanic, it was impossible to sneak there. The well deck that was between the forcastle and the bridge had always someone from the crew there, keeping order and stuff like that.

E: slamman, poop deck is the stern deck.

Slamman

Recently The Perfect Storm was on, I was able to watch most of it again, though it's dramatic some people felt it was not a good movie. I guess I wonder on what ones regarding nearly factual events are the best. Do you think Cameron did the best job he could with the film?

GTA_stu

I used to think that when things go bump in the night that it was a monster under my bed. Turns out it's just Slamman.

Slamman

Serious, The anniversary will be over next year, let's enjoy it while it's here

Sup3rman

This thread isnt really meant for talking about films. But i guess it goes with the culture of the ship. To me, Camerons film was a great film about a ship named Titanic, it was more of a movie about the characters and their behaviours then the ship itself. It did however really concentrate on the catastrophy and faiths of people on board. To me the film was far from perfect. To ship experts there were many faults but still it was yet the most bang on set ever created. I'm not that fond of the sinking version in that film, but as Cameron stated, for that time they didnt know as much as they know now.

Linki

I just watched the film again and I'm convinced it's one of the greatest piece's of cinema ever created. Maybe it's because of the overwhelming sense of nostalgia from watching the first film I saw in a cinema. The sinking part is incredible. Imagine seeing that ship up in the air like that, then splitting in half... it's almost unbelievable.

Sup3rman
Imagine seeing that ship up in the air like that, then splitting in half... it's almost unbelievable.

Unbelievable is the correct word, because it didn't happen like that in real life wink.gif. The split wasn't nearly as clean like they show there, nor did the stern of the ship reach that angle.

Slamman

That was discussed by Cameron in the Discovery special, but he said on camera that he's happy with the analysis that he did, and now we can expect a new Avatar film, his Titanic obsession is closing a chapter in his life, but I agree, the song, not so much, the film, worth owning I think

Sup3rman

So, this is an old thread already, but i though id not do a new one. Today just marks 101 years from the day Titanic set sail from Southampton, starting her first and final voyage. Weird to think i made this thread over a year ago already.

coin-god
Looking forward to taking a trip on Titanic II.

Sup3rman

Same here, altough we would have to wait a long time i think, over 40 000 people have shown interest in sailing in the forthcoming new ship.

Sup3rman

So today, 101 years ago, was the day Titanic hit the iceberg...but 15th will be the day it actually sank. Just a reminder.

Arrows to Athens

There may be one last chance to see the Titanic wreck before it is completely eaten away by bacteria in years to come.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/45901099

Edited by Arrows to Athens

AiraCobra

If anybody messes around with VR on PC and interested in the Titanic check out a game called Titanic Shipwreck Exploration they also have a regular desktop version as well which is what I have and I promise you, You won't be disappointed it's very detailed and very relaxing to play with.

Evil empire

The Titanic's sinking was horrible but the Joola's shipwreck was even worse with 1863 deads but our medias (at least in France) nearly never mentioned it. It's got to say it happened in Africa with a very little number of french victims and there wasn't any rich among the victims.