4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Sup3rman

The Titanic centennial

Sup3rman

Actually, I think I would say Raise the Titanic from the 70's is one of my favorite Titanic films (despite the ship being in one piece) just because I always wondered what would happen if they could raise it up (even though they can't)

Raise the Titanic, i love that film... By Lew Grade and made in 1979-1980. I can tell a lot of facts about that movie, know it very well. The model they used is still theb iggest Titanic model ever made, it was 55 feet long, about 16m, and it was made out of fiberglass and metal. The model is still around at the place where they filmed the raising sequences, in Malta's film studio. For the film they even made a deep tank which was one of a kind. Unfortunatelly they didn't care of the model really and it is now in a very bad state, unrepairable sadly. A friend of mine from England has lots of images of the model. I can share some here too.

You can see Ken Marschall, the famour Titanic historian and painter beside the model. He had a thing or two to do with this model:

user posted image[

Here is a crewmember towing the model:

user posted image

In 1992 it was colored in Britannic colors, although wrongly, and had a brief film roll in a german war movie:

user posted image

And here is the model how it looks today, pictures taken a month ago:

user posted image

gtaluva

I caught part of an interview somewhere with James Cameron in which they asked an interesting question whether stuff from the Titanic should be brought back up. I agree with his answer 100% in saying that parts on or in the ship and the ship itself shoudln't be touch, for example parts of the iconic picture of the bow down there that I'm sure everyone has seen. However, things that came out of the ship just laying on the bottom like cups and other personal belongings should be brought up for museums and memorials.

It's always touchy about disturbing graves like this but I feel if more people could see objects from the Titanic without disturbing the actual ship, maybe more people would realize it actually happened and real people died since apparently there are people out there who aren't aware of that fact...sadly.

pizza guy

Well, in terms of raising artifacts from the wreck, nothing can be touched now, it was recently protected by unesco, it's classed as a mass grave now.

Sup3rman
Well, in terms of raising artifacts from the wreck, nothing can be touched now, it was recently protected by unesco, it's classed as a mass grave now.

Indeed it is so now. And i think it's kind of unfortunate. I do respect that it's a massgrave and over 1500 people died with her. Then again, because it is hard to preserve the wreck and in last years the wreck has deteriorated more and more, i would have settled things with the wreck differently. I think a perfect way could be, that you have to get a permission to raise objects and the mass of the objects and amount is limited. Also, the objects have to be around the two main hull pieces, not inside - that would be inspired what Cameron said.

Braindawg

Could there be still bodies of people floating inside the wreck? Maybe people who were trapped in their rooms. Hundreds of skeletons in formal clothing, maybe dressed crew members.

...Creepy.

Slamman

All they've reported is shoes, items, it's more likely the human remains were not preserved because there is still possibility of them being eaten, wasting away from bacteria, probably not bones, but there's not been a lot said other then preserve it as a memorial and as a grave-site

Also to note, Cameron said he hoped to conclude his final say on this as a major project and "pass the baton", and as such, if he's looking to do a bio-pic, wonder if the Hindenberg strikes his fancy??

coin-god
Could there be still bodies of people floating inside the wreck? Maybe people who were trapped in their rooms. Hundreds of skeletons in formal clothing, maybe dressed crew members.

...Creepy.

I really don't think there is anything left.

Slamman

The PBS special reenactment showed a scene from the inner-workings, boiler room, perhaps, as mentioned, where the Captain and the crew were assessing and dealing with the situation, unlike in the movie, he was not up on top, but inside the ship mostly, which leaves more mystery about who was where, but someone is told to go top side by the captain and access EXACTLY, to the letter, what is happening on deck, they climb up what might have been that 'dummy' funnel?! If you're sure, then perhaps confirm that, but the special should be on their site to stream, I watched it on TV of course.

Since Ballard discovered where the wreck was, Russian submarines and others less scrupulous explorers have touched down on top of titanic, where they explain the appearance of actual crashes into the delicate ship, each time eroding the monument already disturbed by natural forces under the water in that time frame.

The experts didn't land their submersibles to rest on the actual ship, in other words!

Slamman

Where did you get the Horrible face-shots?!?!, Take that sig down, I didn't post 50 postings in one day! LIE!

Here's the IMDB for that film;

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081400/

Sup3rman

To answer the question regarding human remains then the abswer is no, there are no remains left. Even clothes and bones were eaten by the bacteria. Only leather things like boots remain. Also everything made out of wood was eaten away, only teek wood has preserved and very well.

Indeed subs have done damage, maybe even weaken the strucure a bit when landing on the wreck. They have also left orange patched where the subs have landed. I myself dont think the subs have actually had that much to do with the deterioration. Its all natural mostly.

coin-god

Where did you get the Horrible face-shots?!?!, Take that sig down, I didn't post 50 postings in one day! LIE!

My sig dosn't lie. It's showing public information.

Slamman

Now you're off topic, and horribly so, I might add!

One man's Spam is another man's filet O Fish biggrin.giftounge.gifangry.gifdevil.gif

The plot for Raise the Titanic sounds rather off putting to me, that's too much suspension of disbelief!

Found it for a viewing by everyone HERE>

I'm still gonna watch this, since it's readily accessible on YT...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTeCQ_-1SgA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0EFRRFxcUA

Edited by Slamman

Jules Verne

I can't believe they just let that model deteriorate like that, they should have really made it look pristine and put it in a museum somewhere instead of leaving it outside like that. I also read somewhere that the model they made for the movie was made to be spot on accurate to the real Titanic but they changed it in places (making it inaccurate) so that it would look seamless to the full sized boat they were using which made the guy who spent so much time making it spot on perfect to the real Titanic really mad so maybe that is why it didn't end up in a museum.

Edited by opnoright

coin-god

Watching a Documentary about Titanic on NatGeo. "Seconds From Disaster"

edit:

There's going to be a serie of episodies about Titanic starting this Monday, sounds great.

Edited by goin-god

Slamman

If you follow the full length special links on YouTube, you'll note a couple of these, I'm watching another one now!

Some times it seems like too many to sit through, over an hour each! (thereabouts)

Sup3rman
I can't believe they just let that model deteriorate like that, they should have really made it look pristine and put it in a museum somewhere instead of leaving it outside like that. I also read somewhere that the model they made for the movie was made to be spot on accurate to the real Titanic but they changed it in places (making it inaccurate) so that it would look seamless to the full sized boat they were using which made the guy who spent so much time making it spot on perfect to the real Titanic really mad so maybe that is why it didn't end up in a museum.

Well the model wasn't actually a model, it was a movie prop. It served it's purpose as a movie prop and did very well. Of course it's a bit sad that it's now in such condition that it's now unrepairable but thing is, it was too big to be a museum attraction. Maybe now they have a opportunity to display such a piece, but then it was unthinkable. Also, it was quite hard to move it, it weighed about 5 tons i think. Also because MFS studios was the only place where a model that sized could be used it had to stay there. The owner of the model is ITV but they say they can't sell it, the MFS can't also sell it because they don't own it...so it's just in the hands of destiny there.

James Cameron did want to use the prop in Titanic the movie, but it was allready too far gone by then so they built a huge 12 m prop themselves. The prop was pretty much completelly accurate but wasn't finished 100% by the time they started filming. Some how they fired the department who were making the model, so after that they just patched it up somehow. They did a sinking footage with the prop too but that didn't go into the film. The prop was in it's 1912 colors and looked like the real thing on camera. Here is the lost footage also:

And just to show you the raising footage, here it is:

When i first saw it i actually thaught they raised the real ship. The prop has some extra things on that the real Titanic didn't have. There are these bulkheads on the railings in the tip of the ship. Also these two long cowling masts. And to make it look more Titanic like, they cut off the second funnel, although all the survivors had said they only saw the first funnel fall.

Anyways, let's keep this more Titanic and centennial related here, not so much movie. Discussing documentaries tough is fine by me.

A very good channel in youtube is LostWhiteStarliners. Type that and on that channel you will find many if not all Titanic related documentaries and they are full length.

And also, please no offtopic, thank you smile.gif

OysterBarron

you have to be sh*tting me!

user posted image

gtaluva

Does anyone know of any big events going on on the 15th to commemorate the Titanic? I live in Wisconsin in the US so i doubt they'll be anything, there are some things for ships on the great lakes but not the Titanic. But, I'd be interested to know anywhere there were any big memorials or anything planned. Also are there any good shows and documentaries on this upcoming week, besides the movie because I'm sure that will be on nonstop. I'd like to watch some more actual factual shows though.

Slamman

Proposed specials continue, on TV, Nat Geo I'm not so sure, but I plan to stream more online since I was looking that up and posted above

As stated in those reports, if you were to pay some large amounts of cash, you can get a trip down to see the wreck! You can see how Cameron found it hard to resist. I'd be somewhat scared due to the pressures that exist down there, but it's been tackled numerous times with no harm befalling the occupants

Carbine23
you have to be sh*tting me!

user posted image

That's just as bad as people not knowing who Paul McCartney is

Slamman

Or Mick Jagger, but I have a problem taking it seriously when it's hosted on a joke site, that could be doctored as such, either way, it's not TOO surprising

This just popped up on my RSS Vista sidebar feed, worth a post since it's more about Jim Cameron;

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46850002/ns/te...e/#.T4e_LJlYtio

Edited by Slamman

OysterBarron

Has anyone seen titanic 2 i beleive it was a very shoody film but you can watch it on youtube.

Sup3rman

Has anyone seen titanic 2 i beleive it was a very shoody film but you can watch it on youtube.

Absolutelly pointless film. Very low budget, CGI is sh*t literally. Plot is stupid also. They use Queen Mary at the beginning, the ship doesn't even look like Titanic. Funnel color is wrong also.

E: I don't have any pics form dates yesterday and aso on, cause Titanic is at sea by now.

I do have this video, not very precise one, but still fun to watch and very cool.

Edited by Sup3rman

coin-god
I do have this video, not very precise one

Since it's no CGI it's incredible well done.

Themanwiththeplan

I live in Northern Ireland about 15 miles from the Titanic Quarter, the whole country is going mad for Titanic at the minute. MTV are having a concert tonight outside the new Titanic Quarter building. They gave out free tickets a few weeks ago, pitty I have to work tonight because I had a ticket.

Sup3rman

@Themanwiththeplan - unfortunate for you. Would wish to be in Belfast now. For a Titanic buff it's a real treat and once in a lifetime opportunity.

I want to start painting a tribute today, want to paint the Titanic. Just is hard to figure how i want to picture it. From what angle specifically. I want to finish it by april 15th, so not a lot of time to do it. If anyone want to help me make up my mind, maybe picking some picture of the ship that i might paint then go ahead.

E: The ship can be in whatever position you like, sinking or sailing or even in port. Even while launching it to water from the steel gantry.

unopieceo

well its 10 past 12 so I guess the titanic was taking on water at this time 100 years ago. Don't know what timezone it was in.

OysterBarron

Its about 14 hours away as of now uk time was about 5:47am supposedly!

Actually thats probably inccorect!

jesus so many differnt ones im going with the wiki

She sank two hours and forty minutes later at 02:20 on Monday 15 April (05:18 GMT)

Edited by oysterbarron

Lithium

100 years already. Time just flies when you're sinking boats.