4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Sup3rman

The Titanic centennial

Slamman

It was a massive ship, especially for that time. To see it sinking must have been shocking, as was the cold water. Now if it had sailed in warmer climes, perhaps they'd be worried more about sharks??

I fell for this being official, but then....

Edited by Slamman

gtaluva

Ya if it hadn't have happened in such cold water I'm sure many more people would have survived simply by clinging to debris. I can't remember the numbers but I know the amount of people who died simply from freezing in the water because only 1 boat came back was staggering.

Also that video was hilarious, I may pay to see that movie haha.

Sup3rman

LOL, i love that video, saw it some days ago, someone had posted on Facebook.

Truth is that the cold water was a main murderer there. after seeing the Documentary yesterday: Titanic: case closed, they explained how Titanic was just so unfortunate. The cold water current coming from south Greenland was like a stripe that went south, right across Titanics way, so all those icebergs didn't melt. The water surrounding this cold current was way warmer. Cold water being about -1 degrees by celcius and the warm being about 13-15 degrees. That also created an illusion of rised horizon. Meaning, the iceberg was hidden by the very calm water and a slight fog that happened because of the warm and cold airflows.

And it or she was indeed very big. If anyone here wants to travel or lives in Belfast Ireland, then he can have a unique chance to see the Thompson graving dock. It is as long as Titanic and many of the few pictures of T were made while she was being fitted out in there.

Today, because it is april 10, i will post several pictures. That because it is 100 years of the beginning of the first voyage.

The first one is this, Titanic some hours before leaving Southampton port. I'll post some more pictures later.

user posted image

Here is Titanic with the second and first class gangways allready attatched. You can just see how huge the ship was.

user posted image

Seddo
So if they hadnt tried to turn and only sustained damage to the front do you think the outcome would have been different?

I watched a documentary last year and they said that if they just hit the ice berg head on then it would have survived the impact. It was a good documentary and it highlighted quite a few problems that eventually lead to it sinking.

Sup3rman

Here are a couple of more pictures. This first one is one of the most famous pictures.

user posted image

Second one shows Titanic moving past the harbour, everybody are waveing.

user posted image

Third one shows the incident between SS New York and Titanic. They almost collided, some figured that this might be a bad sign.

user posted image

avito coleone

I thought white star line came out and said it was practically unsinkable, and the media, as media do, ran with the story proclaiming the ship as unsinkable

Sup3rman

Nope, the one who said the ship was "practically unsinkable" was a shipping magazine that reviewed the ship.

Finn 7 five 11

Is the movie showing in 3D in places other than Australia?

I never did watch the whole thing, maybe i will find a girl and go see it.

coin-god

Is the movie showing in 3D in places other than Australia?

I never did watch the whole thing, maybe i will find a girl and go see it.

I just checked it's on Argentina aswell. Can't wait to go see it, I allways wanted to watch it on the big screen. In 3D!

Sup3rman

3D version is around the globe i think. It is in my country at least.

avito coleone
Nope, the one who said the ship was "practically unsinkable" was a shipping magazine that reviewed the ship.

White star line never claimed it though did they?

Sup3rman

I don't think so. Maybe Bruce Ismay who was very fond of his new ship told someone something but WSL mostly only reffered to the size and the luxory of the ship.

Sup3rman

Double post, but here is another pic of Titanic arriving in France, Cherbourg.

user posted image

AlexGTAGamer

Remember a few pages back I mentioned that I was refurbishing a painting of the Titanic I had in my room? Well I've finally finished refurbishing it, and this is the final result:

user posted image

For one it is much more brighter now that the layers of dust have been removed, and the back of the painting that was broken has now been fixed. colgate.gif

EDIT:

Also news wise:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-17657253

Edited by AlexGTAGamer

MostOfAll

Let's admit it. If it weren't for the movie centered on a couple's romantic relationship, the Titanic wouldn't be as famous as it is today.

Kalvin

lol.gif Those replies, 'never knew that the titanic actually happend, OMG!'

I laughed my ass off so hard.

AlexGTAGamer

Wow, those people must either be awfully high or brain dead.

biggrin.gif

na89340qv0n34b09q340

Let's admit it. If it weren't for the movie centered on a couple's romantic relationship, the Titanic wouldn't be as famous as it is today.

Outside of grade-school I've never had a discussion about the Titanic with anyone, and I don't think I'd want to. I think it's just used as an introduction to engineering disasters, and it was quite a topic in the early 1900s.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RMS_Titanic_in_popular_culture

@Piperka

Well f*ck. I guess I take what I said back.

Edited by zoo3891

Carbine23
This is the first major centennial of my life. Next is the start and finish of World War One and hopefully, I'll still be around to celebrate World War Two's series of centennials, including the start, end, D -Day, V- Day, Bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I know what you mean. I'm still in shock that it hasn't been 100 years since WW1 and it feels like it was so long ago. Well It's been 98 but you get my point lol. Hopefully i'll be able to reach the 100th anniversary of the ending of the Vietnam War.

Slamman

No one here is 100 years old, are they? Not a big deal, anniversaries happen loads of times, but this catastrophe was a major fascination for years, I remember learning about things like this for the first time as well, as a kid, it was fascinating, and we learn more and more since it's re-discovery. If you missed it, PBS, US Public television aired SAVING THE TITANIC, their own re-enactment of what the Engineering crew did to help save lives, how they gave their own till the last fateful minutes, There is certainly new found knowledge to take away with these presentations and specials

You can find it online they say, PBS dot ORG

Here's a "rare" survivor signed print

http://www.autographsmovieposters.com/tita...igned_photo.htm

Edited by Slamman

Sup3rman

THat Southampton article just shows that people still remember the ship and not by the blockbuster film.

Nice painting, but for me the ship is just so full of errors biggrin.gif The funnel color is wrong, there are many details wrong and so on biggrin.gif. But it looks cool still. With those funnels and that superstructure it looks like Lusitania or Aquitania, those were not even White star line ships but Cunard line ones.

In this video you can actually hear the Titanic whistle, a whistle trio that was brought back to the surface. It was treated with care and because it was more delicate then it was then, they didn't use steam to use it but air.

E: Who wants a better quality or longer sound, then type into youtube "Normandie whistle". Normandie was a french liner, way bigger then Titanic, it burned down in NY harbour at the start of WW2. Being strippen out for war duty a welder had set it on fire accidentally.

The whistles on the Normandie were the exact same ones as Titanic, Olympic and Britannic had.

Edited by Sup3rman

Sup3rman

And here is todays picture, made today 100 years ago. Titanic is in Queenstown Ireland.

user posted image

E: Another pic, on the boatdeck, showing funnels nr 3 and 4.

user posted image

Jeeebuuus

When I was in third grade I was completely fascinated with Titanic. A book in the school library was about when Robert Ballard and his crew first discovered it at the bottom of the Atlantic and went down in the submarine. Then about ten years later the movie came out and it was an amazing recreation. To know that so many teenagers today didn't know it was an historical event but just a movie is sad. What the hell are they teaching kids in school these days?

Sup3rman

I think i know that book, unfortunatelly i don't have it but wish i do. It had a lot of great pictures of the wreck in it.

AlexGTAGamer
Nice painting, but for me the ship is just so full of errors biggrin.gif The funnel color is wrong, there are many details wrong and so on biggrin.gif. But it looks cool still. With those funnels and that superstructure it looks like Lusitania or Aquitania, those were not even White star line ships but Cunard line ones.

Well that painting was bought in a nick-nack shop in Newquay on a family holiday long before I was even born, so that probably explains it. biggrin.gif

Sup3rman

Another cool picture. You can see someone actually seeing on top of the fourth funnel. THere was a ladder inside the funnel so it was possible to climb up it. Unlike most say, it was not a dummy funnel, it was used as ventilation from the smoking room and boilerrooms.

user posted image

Jules Verne

I've been interested in the titanic ever since I was a little kid much like Jeeebuuus said and I can't believe people seriously weren't aware that the Titanic was a real ship, even more so since those people are around my age bored.gif Personally I went to the original theater release in 97' and I saw the 3D version on sunday. I think much of the Titanic's popularity with the general public is like someone said in this topic earlier because of the film. However, some people like myself are interested in the actual real life event. My grandmother has been very interested in the Titanic ever since she was young and that way before the James Cameron film. Actually, I think I would say Raise the Titanic from the 70's is one of my favorite Titanic films (despite the ship being in one piece) just because I always wondered what would happen if they could raise it up (even though they can't) Overall I like anything to do with Titanic, I find it fascinating (aside from Titanic II...it was horrible and nothing to do with the titanic) But yeah. Hard to believe how far we've advanced in 100 years though.