Edwards Airforce Base?

I was doing some thinking when watching the trailer for about the 500th time and this idea came to my mind. Where did the jet shown in the trailer come from? Now I live in southern Ca and the only logical place I can think of them to keep a jet that isn't too far away From Los Angles would be Edwards. So maybe there is a mission there. I know that to think it could go outside of LA will blow a lot of peoples minds, but keep in mind they usually don't do everything to scale and R* did say it would be their biggest and most ambitious game yet. Oh and for the record I did search this already and didn't find anything really.

UPDATE: I thought about another thing. When I thought of a jet, I had automatically pictured a runway, but I forgot to remember the fact that the jet just may be a VTOL ( Vertical Takeoff and Landing ) Which may open up the possibility of many other bases/military installations. This does not mean there isn't still a possibility of it coming from Edwards.

Edited by 018361

I've only visited Los Angeles, so I have no idea what base you're talking about; it seems like you didn't pull this out your ass though.

grope_4_that_date

Edwards Air Force Base is near the Mojave Desert. I also agree with 018361. It seems to be one of the few government bases around the Los Angeles area, and probably the most likely location of a government base.

Great minds think a like. icon14.gif

I've only visited Los Angeles, so I have no idea what base you're talking about; it seems like you didn't pull this out your ass though.

What i'm saying is that Edwards air-force base which is outside of LA may be the place you have to go to get the jet, if there is such a mission where you retrieve it.

What i'm saying is that Edwards air-force base which is outside of LA may be the place you have to go to get the jet, if there is such a mission where you retrieve it.

Makes sense.

This could also possibly mean we'll have a desert. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Makes sense.

This could also possibly mean we'll have a desert. Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif

Possibly, but at the moment we can only hope and wait.

To me the Jet confirmed san diego

Maybe, but if you ask me I think Edwards is closer.

Maybe, but if you ask me I think Edwards is closer.

And to think that countryside means inhabitants of an area:

user posted image

I should really move my discussion over to the Trailer Analysis.

Edwards AFB is closer to L.A than San Diego, but then rumors suggest the game will take place from L.A down towards Mexico. Which gives some credit to it being SD, as you'd have to wait later in the game to get to it(like the AFB in SA.)

Edwards AFB is closer to L.A than San Diego, but then rumors suggest the game will take place from L.A down towards Mexico. Which gives some credit to it being SD, as you'd have to wait later in the game to get to it(like the AFB in SA.)

Good Point

Triple Vacuum Seal

Same here to a degree. I added to a long list of potential evidence given that San Diego is the US military hub in the west coast...

-Camp Pendleton in San Diego is where almost every US Marine recruit living west of the Mississippi River goes to basic training

-Marine Corps Air Station Miramar

-Marine Corps Recruit Depot

-Naval Base San Diego (the largest US Navy installation in the world)

-Naval Base Point Loma

-Space and Naval Warfare Systems Center Pacific

-Naval Medical Center San Diego

-Naval Amphibious Base Coronado

-Naval Air Station North Island

-US Coast Guard stations and numerous anti-drug smuggling operations

*San Diego is very close to LA (closer than SF and LV) and it wouldn't be the first time R* has featured San Diego in a game.

Same here to a degree. I added to a long list of potential evidence given that San Diego is the US military hub in the west coast...

-Camp Pendleton in San Diego is where almost every US Marine recruit living west of the Mississippi River goes to basic training

-Naval Base Point Loma

*San Diego is very close to LA (closer than SF and LV) and it wouldn't be the first time R* has featured San Diego in a game.

To be fair Edwards AFB is way closer to LA than SD is.

Although, assuming that the plane in question:

user posted image

Is a Hydra, it points more towards Marines/Navy than Airforce.

The Hydra is based off the Harrier, a naval aircraft(Only the US Marines use it, but the Royal navy, Indian navy, and Spanish navy all use it).

Also if you recall, you stole the Hydra from a carrier docked in SF in SA.

-Naval Base Point Loma

user posted image

The Hydra is based off the Harrier, a naval aircraft(Only the US Marines use it, but the Royal navy, Indian navy, and Spanish navy all use it).

That is also true. Gang looks like we got a mystery to solve.

Triple Vacuum Seal

-Naval Base Point Loma

user posted image

icon14.gif The Hydra has always been a carrier-based aircraft considering its Harrier look in GTASA and its F-35/F-18/Harrier mixed resemblance in the trailer.

*This leads me to believe that the aircraft is from a Naval Base and not an Air Force Base.

-Naval Base Point Loma

user posted image

icon14.gif The Hydra has always been a carrier-based aircraft considering its Harrier look in GTASA and its F-35/F-18/Harrier mixed resemblance in the trailer.

*This leads me to believe that the aircraft is from a Naval Base and not an Air Force Base.

Fair enough, but then which naval base could it be from? I am not too familiar with the naval bases around Los Angles.

http://militarybases.com/california/

There is an Airforce base in L.A.

There is a Navy Weapon cache in L.A.

There is an AFB North of L.A(Edwards)

There is an AFB to the east of L.A.

There is Marine/Navy Base South of L.A

And then in San Diego there is:

A Marine Base

Two Naval bases

and a Naval Air Station.

Triple Vacuum Seal

-Naval Base Point Loma

user posted image

Fair enough, but then which naval base could it be from? I am not too familiar with the naval bases around Los Angles.

that's why I think it is from a San Diego naval installation based off of one of the ones I listed above.

Ispintechno

This topic gives me a chubby.

Problem with unraveling the mystery with the plane is what exactly is it? Clearly the new jet is more F-35 than harrier. The Harrier has a front pegasis turbo jet engine feeding thrust nozzles more mid section distribution on the sides of the aircraft. GTAV's new jet has a rear afterburning jet engine with twin rudder/vertical stabilizers. There are 3 F-35 variants of this aircraft to further make it harder to pinpoint exactly, as it is the new joint strike fighter.

user posted image

F-35A - conventional take off and landing. Air force version, this will be replacing the F-16. A US Air force single engine fighter.

If we have Edwards I would predict this jet in the game would not be VTOL. And would be accompanied on the ground with either the F-15 or the newer F-22 twin engine air superiority fighters.

F-35B - Short take off, vertical landing. Thrust vectored rear nozzle and forward opening ducted fan for nose lift. This would be the Marine's new bird. If we could confirm a STOVL B version "hydra", we would know where this guy comes from.

F-35C - Carrier version. We would find this on a nearby aircraft carrier, probably accompanied by the F-18 legacy and super hornet. Again, not short take off, or vert landing.

Seems probable that we would see the "hydra" replacement as we could land in the city and take off again. Or wreak havak in vtol mode on cars and pedestrains. I think this knocks out the aircraft carrier or edwards airforce base, which is unfortunate as I would love to see that in the game.

Edited by Ispintechno

Triple Vacuum Seal

This topic gives me a chubby.

Problem with unraveling the mystery with the plane is what exactly is it? Clearly the new jet is more F-35 than harrier. The Harrier has a front pegasis turbo jet engine feeding thrust nozzles more mid section distribution on the sides of the aircraft. GTAV's new jet has a rear afterburning jet engine with twin rudder/vertical stabilizers. There are 3 F-35 variants of this aircraft to further make it harder to pinpoint exactly, as it is the new joint strike fighter.

user posted image

F-35A - conventional take off and landing. Air force version, this will be replacing the F-16. A US Air force single engine fighter.

If we have Edwards I would predict this jet in the game would not be VTOL. And would be accompanied on the ground with either the F-15 or the newer F-22 twin engine air superiority fighters.

F-35B - Short take off, vertical landing. Thrust vectored rear nozzle and forward opening ducted fan for nose lift. This would be the Marine's new bird. If we could confirm a STOVL B version "hydra", we would know where this guy comes from.

F-35C - Carrier version. We would find this on a nearby aircraft carrier, probably accompanied by the F-18 legacy and super hornet.

Also, the USMC is replacing their large aging fleet of close air support aircraft (which included the F/18 and Harrier[in GTASA]) with the new F-35.

*20-30 years from now, we will look back on the F-35's amazing legacy. Expensive project, yes; but a very pivotal one in the future of the western world's military. This is why I think R* is including the aircraft in the game.

I doubt Rockstar will give us multiple fighters, so if we do see it at a military base, it will most likely be by itself.

Although I'm fairly certain the plane in the video is VTOL. There appear to be thrusters just before the wings, so I think we'll see it with the Navy.

Photo:

user posted image

Edited by spike88

Triple Vacuum Seal

I doubt Rockstar will give us multiple fighters

My exact thoughts when I saw the trailer and everyone was sh*tting their pants over the return of planes. That's the advantage of for those PC people out there who get access to mods.

*I guess I'll have to keep my fingers crossed for a very unlikely DLC w/ more military jets (if there is only one).

Ispintechno

*20-30 years from now, we will look back on the F-35's amazing legacy.  Expensive project, yes; but a very pivotal one in the future of the western world's military.  This is why I think R* is including the aircraft in the game.

Agreed. As a Canadian most of us are against spending all the money on these new aircrafts but I for one am totally on board. It's 5th generation stealth and will be key in keeping northern Canada part of Canada. As global warming melts our ice caps and north becomes a new shipping/frieght highway to the world we will lose control of it to foreign countries without this new superiority fighter. I think our government should get it an any cost as it will keep Canada whole. This aircraft has a very unique history ahead of it. Might even stop a war from happening our our own soil. Proud Canada had a role in its development.

EDIT: At the above photo with Harrier thrust vectoring nozzles, this does prove it's a version of the B F-35, only without the lifting fan it has nozzles, which means the trailer was made before the new "Hydra" was complete or they used nozzles instead of the lifting fan for this game. It makes no sense for the engine configuration but that is nit-picky for a video game. The cheetah, a Ferrari Testarossa mid engine V-12 car started in GTA as a front engine car too. They later corrected it.

Or, since the F-35 has an opening bay to deploy missiles and bombs on the underside to stay stealthy in real life, those may be weapons ordinates slapped on the side as stealth means very little in this game I'm sure, and would eliminate the animation of opening this undercarriage bay.

Edited by Ispintechno

Triple Vacuum Seal

*20-30 years from now, we will look back on the F-35's amazing legacy.  Expensive project, yes; but a very pivotal one in the future of the western world's military.  This is why I think R* is including the aircraft in the game.

Agreed. As a Canadian most of us are against spending all the money on these new aircrafts but I for one am totally on board. It's 5th generation stealth and will be key in keeping northern Canada part of Canada. As global warming melts our ice caps and north becomes a new shipping/frieght highway to the world we will lose control of it to foreign countries without this new superiority fighter. I think our government should get it an any cost as it will keep Canada whole. This aircraft has a very unique history ahead of it. Might even stop a war from happening our our own soil. Proud Canada had a role in its development.

I never even thought of the ice caps melting from a Canadian POV. monocle.gif Good to see that the gov't there is addressing the issue and looking into it's future implications militarily/economically. Very interesting take on the issue.

*I believe that the F35 in GTAV will be fairly versatile as well in order to compensate for the potential lack of fighters available in the game.

Ispintechno

I never even thought of the ice caps melting from a Canadian POV. monocle.gif Good to see that the gov't there is addressing the issue and looking into it's future implications militarily/economically. Very interesting take on the issue.

*I believe that the F35 in GTAV will be fairly versatile as well in order to compensate for the potential lack of fighters available in the game.

I agree I think it will be the only available jet fighter in the game. Which points to a Marine operation F-35B if R* wants to keep it simple. We should look to see what deployment area of Cali that is and that would be our likely answer.

Regarding our OT convo of the north, both of our countries have been chasing Russian airplanes out the space for 60 years, our side unfortunately still has legacy F/A-18's and need an upgrade. It's been a game of cat and mouse up there for decades. Problem for us is hardly anyone lives up there, and the resources are vast. War will be certain as countries hunt for new oil reserves and control over the new shipping lanes that should be going full tilt in about ten years or so... much of the future economy will be north. Japan has already stated that Northern Canada belongs to nobody... Truth is in 20 years we all be part of some kind of American union where Mexico, USA and Canada will be economically tied together and will be reestablishing sovereign boarders and fighting new wars over our younger resources from the rest of the world.

Edited by Ispintechno

TheGreene2010

Not really

There is a Air Force base in Los Angeles and MCAS Camp Pendleton is only like few miles out from LA

Edited by TheGreene2010

Wow I really like the way you guys are thinking in this forum. Keep up the good work!

Not really

There is a Air Force base in Los Angeles and MCAS Camp Pendleton is only like few miles out from LA

user posted image

OP - Not a bad thought. Although instead of an airforce base we may just see an aicraft carrier like the one stationed in San Fierro.