GTAV "Coming Soon" boxart

LotusRIP

user posted image

How soon is soon? and what's the picture in the background?

This is a JB Hi Fi store in Australia, usually the pre order boxes are just plain black with the logo. Going back to the very same store, it seems they've gotten bigger with more artwork.

Edited by LotusRIP

Ispintechno

user posted image

This is a JB Hi Fi store in Australia, usually the pre order boxes are just plain black with the logo. Going back to the very same store, it seems they've gotten bigger with more artwork.

Ouch, $89

Guess that pays for the fancy placeholder!

Still, not sure if they have any new release info really... monocle.gif

$89 Australian dollar... That's pretty cheap for new releases these days, GTA4 was about 109 brand new

jackass2009

The background looks like the golf cages and skyscrapers in Liberty City to me.

Ispintechno
$89 Australian dollar... That's pretty cheap for new releases these days, GTA4 was about 109 brand new

Ah, well the USD isn't what it used to be in 2008 either. It should be cheaper I suppose.

Box art does look pretty official. Nice find. icon14.gif

$89 is fairly cheap for games in Australia, in other game stores like eb games, its still at $109. Damn you high price of games in Australia!!! GRR

HydraulicWaRiOr

Yeah, but those are by the ocean. This looks inner-city.

[supreme]

I thought the same thing at first, but shouldn't the Rotterdam Tower be in the background? And tons of other buildings? Doesn't seem quite right, but ill have a look in-game to see what it looks like in IV from the same angle. Could be wrong, but it looks more Los Santos to me

jackass2009

[supreme]

The pic isn't looking towards the ocean, though. It's a picture of the buildings and golf cages, not the scenic ocean and Alderney. Those are definitely the golf cages in LC.

Kind of off topic, but why do you write "Supreme" in blue and italics? You know how to use your signature, right?

@LotusRIP That's a good idea, I'd do the same if my capture card wasn't broke.

@ShotGunRain, Did you take that pic yourself or find it on the internet?

ShotGunRain

Yeah it does look like the golf cage in Liberty City

user posted image

Yeah I remember going into EB Games the other week and they only had the black cover with the logo, alls that were planted on the cover was the infamous red sticker with white text saying 'Pre Order'.

They had the covers in the other game stores I went to such as Game, and like that JB-HI-FI also.

I remember pre ordering GTA IV and I got about $5-$10 off, picked it up on the day too so I might be doing the same with GTA V.

As for the background, that's GTA IV's golf course in Algonquin.

AuSsIeThUnDeR36

Fake. How would JB HIFI know when Rockstar hasn't officially said when? Think about it guys...(facepalm)

Who is responsible for creating the boxarts and choosing what to put on the shelves? The stores do it themselves and make it all up? Or would there be some direct input from Rockstar themselves....

Ispintechno

Might be a bit off-topic but in the remote controlled airplane world (a hobby of mine) I usually look to Aussie sources for new information on new R/C models via vendor websites and you-tube videos (or forum leaks). Seems to me the Australian business community are treated to sensitive information pretty early and they are good at holding on to it too, and wham, when allowed they are the first to report it. Not sure if that is applicable with the video game industry though?

Point is maybe you guys have some information regarding dates and times that would never be kept secret here. I wouldn't be surprised.

Or would there be some direct input from Rockstar themselves....

Could be a form of marketing stunt to attract people into coming into their stores on a frequent basis to see if there is any news regarding it.

Unless other stores from other countries are doing it too, I doubt Rockstar would have contributed to it.

jackass2009

I popped in my eflc and yeah, that's the golf course in IV. I'm pretty sure there was a mission or two there in TBoGT, too. I'm pretty sure it's somebody who works in marketing who makes the decision to put what as the boxart for games. Besides, the official artwork is still gonna be the same comic panel stuff like they did before. Why should it change?

Fake. How would JB HIFI know when Rockstar hasn't officially said when? Think about it guys...(facepalm)

Does it matter? You can pre-order the new Sim City, and that only has an approximate release date.

Might be a bit off-topic but in the remote controlled airplane world (a hobby of mine) I usually look to Aussie sources for new information on new R/C models via vendor websites and you-tube videos (or forum leaks). Seems to me the Australian business community are treated to sensitive information pretty early and they are good at holding on to it too, and wham, when allowed they are the first to report it. Not sure if that is applicable with the video game industry though?

Point is maybe you guys have some information regarding dates and times that would never be kept secret here. I wouldn't be surprised.

It's funny you say that, cause I seem to feel like the only person who even knows there is a GTAV. None of my friends, previous die hard GTA fans have even heard of it or seen the trailer. Maybe partly the reason why what you say could be true. To me, it just gives me the impression that the whole GTA marketing campaign is very very near. I think things are going to speed up real quick.

The weird thing is....

Why would the box artist put a picture of the GOLF CAGES from Liberty City? That is a totally-off reference to GTA V's setting.

jackass2009
The weird thing is....

Why would the box artist put a picture of the GOLF CAGES from Liberty City? That is a totally-off reference to GTA V's setting.

I'm guessing it was more for the tall buildings in the background. That's a really good question though.

The weird thing is....

I'm guessing it was more for the tall buildings in the background. That's a really good question though.

Could be just a reference to the golf course in the V trailer maybe. When I saw it first it reminded me anyway

jackass2009
The weird thing is....

Could be just a reference to the golf course in the V trailer maybe. When I saw it first it reminded me anyway

Maybe, but I don't think there were cages in the V trailer. Huh. Maybe there were.

Ispintechno

Another GTAIV scene that the fencing is like is that mission where you have to take the picture of the gang bangers in the park, and then you get a text back about who it is you're supposed to kill. I think it was a basketball court near central park and it had the inner city buildings too.

It could very well be GTAIV artwork. If not, you think it would be pulled from the new trailer, which it clearly isn't.

SilentnElite

Until it's confirmed I'm just going to think this was a mistake or a way for the store to build hype and put it in the spotlight. The weird thing is I can't remember those buildings (from what I can tell), in Liberty City.

JoshGTAfreak
user posted image

I find it hard to believe JB Hi-fi would have that information already, when they can't even give me the album I ordered two weeks ago sad.gif

user posted image

Here's the image I took from the gayme to clear things up about the location of this photo. Not perfect, but identical.

user posted image

Edited by RipGore

HydraulicWaRiOr

The pic isn't looking towards the ocean, though. It's a picture of the buildings and golf cages, not the scenic ocean and Alderney. Those are definitely the golf cages in LC.

Kind of off topic, but why do you write "Supreme" in blue and italics? You know how to use your signature, right?

@LotusRIP That's a good idea, I'd do the same if my capture card wasn't broke.

@ShotGunRain, Did you take that pic yourself or find it on the internet?

So they just randomly slapped a picture of the golf cages on the cover for no reason? Doesn't seem right but I give you an A for effort.

Yes, that's exactly why there's a signature picture there in the first place. And why do you even care? Does it affect the argument for you? Or did you just not have enough to write? If you were here long enough to understand you would know that I've been doing it since January.

Edited by HydraulicWaRiOr