4. Debates & Discussion
    1. News

2. Forum Support

3. Site Suggestions

Sign in to follow this  
Knife

Recent GTA V "Leak" rumour

Knife

Many of you have probably seen over the last day the apparent "GTA V Leak" that is being, for some reason, reported on a few websites. This is although the source for this rumour is someone posting on Gamespot's forums something along the lines of "My friend worked for Rockstar...". Why anybody would believe them, I don't know.

Plenty of what is said just sounds made up, and at least one part is almost definitely untrue:

I am a friend of someone who recently got sacked from RockStar North for general misconduct. Because one contract to RockStar covered everything, including secrecy, and his contractual obligaton was now removed

That makes no sense. The non-disclosure agreement would be completely separate from the main contract (anyone can sign a NDA, employee or not). You don't get fired and have free reign to spill any company secrets you like. So if there was any truth in this at all, we'd be hearing about the legal battle soon. Unlikely though, as I don't think anybody clever enough to be hired by Rockstar would be that thick.

Anyway, I opened this topic due to the fact that people keep posting it. Hopefully it'll stop people posting it so we can continue to talk about normal things like whether we'll be able to be a farmer or not and what resolution we'll play the game at.

Majestic123

I bet you this page will be 342342342 people thinking you're trying to hint at it being real

D T

It's funny because out of the thousands of "leaks" that have been posted onto the internet, this one has got to be the phoniest.

Vanzant

Knife here's the problem with an NDA, in order for it to be in effect is if the employee gets compensated paid. ( unemployment/benefits package )

If you are terminated from a company and receive no benefits what so ever, any contract you sign is no longer valid. Meaning a person can leak whatever information they want without worrying about a lawsuit. A judge would toss any case out the door if there is no paid agreement after discharge from any company. At least that's how it is here in the United States.

fitbikesbmx

People don't understand that if someone signs a NDA and leaks information and is caught, their career is over in the game design industry. They will NEVER be hired on anywhere ever again, period.

I don't understand how someone getting fired at R* would lead to them leaking information to people on the internet... This also goes for people from the media like Gamespot, IGN, etc.

I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but anyone stupid enough to breach their NDA probably wouldn't be high enough in the company to know anything anyway.

Vanzant

People don't understand that if someone signs a NDA and leaks information and is caught, their career is over in the game design industry.

Than can be true as it's called "black-balled" however, if you can prove that was done you can press serious charges against your former employer.

FranticFatality

These rumors are just getting more pathetic.

Ray_Santos

This so called "leak" is spreading like wild fire, anyone who believes this needs there head examining.

I actually took it quite serious the first time i read it untill i seen this part:

Police cars will go after you if you're obviousely breaking the speed limit. Having high speed crashes will also damage your health

Speed limits in a GTA game? That is insane!! I mean what next, wanted level for going through a red lights, i thought the whole point of playing any GTA is to drive as fast as you want, when you want. If this is true and R* do decide to add speed limits which i very much doubt, then there's no way I'm buying this game lol

The Red Woman

Well here's the Forum Leader posting this thereby pretty much confirming its validity!

Get used to running from the cops for 3 days after evasion people suicidal.gif

Zee

I barely believe the lies R* themselves tell us, let alone so-called "leaked rumors" I can still remember distinctly in 2004 when someone "leaked" that San Andreas would open with a plane landing in Los Santos with "Rock Lobster" playing, so no, I don't believe a word of any of this "leak" BS.

illspirit

Knife here's the problem with an NDA, in order for it to be in effect is if the employee gets compensated paid. ( unemployment/benefits package )

If you are terminated from a company and receive no benefits what so ever, any contract you sign is no longer valid. Meaning a person can leak whatever information they want without worrying about a lawsuit. A judge would toss any case out the door if there is no paid agreement after discharge from any company. At least that's how it is here in the United States.

Err, no they don't. NDAs are generally an entirely separate contractual arrangement from employment, and in some cases must be signed before even getting the job (to prevent people from coming in for an interview only to "spy" or some such). Even when they are part of the employment contract itself, they tend to contain severability clauses which make each section enforceable regardless of the status of the rest. Same thing goes for non-compete agreements; where one can be sued for getting a new job with a competitor even after getting fired.

lazloisdavrock

I miss this forum without all the kids

Knife

I can't say I'm an expert on any of this stuff but surely if someone's fired the NDA still stands. The NDA would be a separate agreement from the main work contract and can be between any two entities, employee or not. Anyone who steps into Rockstar's office's would be made to sign an NDA, even if they've come to fix the boiler. I expect hopeful Rockstar employees sign an NDA just for going to the interview. If they're then hired, that NDA still stands.

These are my assumptions to be honest, I've not exactly signed one myself (or have I?). But I can't see how they'd work at all if they're terminated alongside the main work contract.

Edited by Knife

Kent Traffic Cop
I miss this forum without all the kids

A-F*CKIN-MEN!

I really hope R* release it soon... simply to stop all the rumours and other BS floating around at the moment. Back in the day people used to get excited about the little things: "OMGZ a plane!" (GTA III) and "OMGZ a bike!" (GTA VC)...

...now people have to make crap up to get excited suicidal.gif

Vanzant

Illy, It's true here in the US. You have to have some kind of paid involvement within a company to have any kind of signed agreement. If you have no beneficial properties with a company then there's nothing that can be done if an ex-employee leaks company info. That's one reason why big corporations usually hand out severance packages. It's to keep peoples mouth shut.

illspirit
Illy, It's true here in the US. You have to have some kind of paid involvement within a company to have any kind of signed agreement. If you have no beneficial properties with a company then there's nothing that can be done if an ex-employee leaks company info. That's one reason why big corporations usually hand out severance packages. It's to keep peoples mouth shut.

You don't have to be paid anything. Journalists and even fans sign NDAs all the time when shown things before anyone else. Yes, severance packages are a nice way to keep people's mouths shut, but the potential damages from breach of contract are pretty damn effective too. tounge.gif This part of a contract doesn't just go away when you're fired. Not only because of severability clauses and such, as above, but because when one is fired, the employer often has a strong case that it was the ex-employee who failed to uphold their end of the contract.

el_roy1985

Vanzant, please stop acting like you know what you are talking about. You are completely wrong. I've signed a NDA or two in my life, and I didn't get any sort of pay nor would I need to to make it valid. It's simply a contract you sign, saying you will not release any information about anything to anyone not already in the know. No employment or anything needed.

So Vanzant, stop. Unless you are just a troll, then I know you will not.

Vanzant

Journalists and even fans sign NDAs all the time when shown things before anyone else.

They are paid for that by their own individual company. They aren't pissed off ex-employees.

This part of a contract doesn't just go away when you're fired. Not only because of severability clauses and such, as above, but because when one is fired, the employer often has a strong case that it was the ex-employee who failed to uphold their end of the contract.

Again, any contract or signature becomes non void if they are no longer a part of the company or does not get any compensation of any kind with the company. That's just how it is in Indiana for example. Just as we know if at Burger King if a uncooked meat patty is dropped on the floor it's still OK to cook it since the contaminates are burned off or how at Wal-Mart most of your electronic goods are thrown into a semi truck rather than carefully placed.

Long_Haired_Boy

The problem with leaking things about Rockstar North-even if your working there, you dont know EVERY DETAIL.

Things are broken into departments, other companies even handle certain aspects.

To make it short, sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

jackass2009

Man, I just wish we'd get the info and release date so this forum can go back to normal. I hate when it's hectic and being overran by retards.

Doo

Thanks for this, Knife.

This community REALLY have to pass through this waiting for information period to retrieve it peaceful and intelligent atmosphere of interesting and constructive debates.

Just a meaning of time until it happens. smile.gif

ThEtRuThSANANDREAS69
Man, I just wish we'd get the info and release date so this forum can go back to normal. I hate when it's hectic and being overran by retards.

i know man. weve had like three "i know this guy who worked at rockstar" threads just today. bored.gif

Triple Vacuum Seal

I hate how some 'leaks' might be true just because they gain traction. No proof that these people are lying but we should wait until R* gives the info. because people will never be truly satisfied with info. from elsewhere. Even if it were legit.

Getting redundant. dozingoff.gif

Long_Haired_Boy

All Knife did was put a band-aid on cancer. Im not against it.

Im just saying nothing isnt going to stop these folks until that have something new to talk about.

jackass2009

i know man. weve had like three "i know this guy who worked at rockstar" threads just today. bored.gif

Give it another week and we'll have 20 more at the most.

Knife
Again, any contract or signature becomes non void if they are no longer a part of the company or does not get any compensation of any kind with the company. That's just how it is in Indiana for example. Just as we know if at Burger King if a uncooked meat patty is dropped on the floor it's still OK to cook it since the contaminates are burned off or how at Wal-Mart most of your electronic goods are thrown into a semi truck rather than carefully placed.

The two things you mentioned about Walmart and Burger King are not things that would be covered by an NDA. An NDA isn't a "You'll never speak about any negative thing you see at our company" and I'm pretty sure trying to make someone sign such a thing would be illegal. An NDA covers valuable information. For example, leaking GTA features could spur rivals into implementing those features into their games before GTA V is even released. A Rockstar employee isn't breaking their NDA by disclosing that they have a pool table at work, or how good the catering is.

There's no way that a fired employee, the exact person who would want to hurt Rockstar, would be able to just reveal all the secrets they learnt while at Rockstar. Otherwise companies would be scared to fire anyone, it'd be a mess.

artie

Pretty sure Rockstar is smarter than this. I'd assume in anyone's contract that if fired or let go, they are still obligated to secrecy on the company's inner workings, and if they start ranting, they can be held accountable. C'mon people, this is 2012, stuff like this didn't just start happening yesterday. If Whoever made this false leak thinks people are this stupid to believe such a load of crap then they are the truly stupid one. All these rumors are very basic, and many are the same rumors that have been released previously. Not saying some of these things may not be true, or close to it, but this whole "ex-employee releasing factual information" leak is just more crap.

Long_Haired_Boy

The two things you mentioned about Walmart and Burger King are not things that would be covered by an NDA. An NDA isn't a "You'll never speak about any negative thing you see at our company" and I'm pretty sure trying to make someone sign such a thing would be illegal. An NDA covers valuable information. For example, leaking GTA features could spur rivals into implementing those features into their games before GTA V is even released. A Rockstar employee isn't breaking their NDA by disclosing that they have a pool table at work, or how good the catering is.

There's no way that a fired employee, the exact person who would want to hurt Rockstar, would be able to just reveal all the secrets they learnt while at Rockstar. Otherwise companies would be scared to fire anyone, it'd be a mess.

Main reason they hire people with some experience and launched titles under their belts.

Triple Vacuum Seal

It's not illegal per se given that it is a civil matter, not a criminal matter. Even though it's a civil matter; that doesn't meant that it is enforced by R*. NDA Contract's are still enforced by the courts.

*This means that no matter what happens between R* and this supposed rouge employee, he is still liable if he was really giving up secrets so I'm tired of the whole "he doesn't work for R* so he can leak stuff now" philosophy around here (that's not how it works). It may be in R*'s interest however to let some real leaks happen because any legal action confirms rumors, which gives real rouge employees a bit of leverage.