I'm thinking about moving to a new city...

Saggy

Well, I'm finally thinking about moving out of Yakima. I really should have moved years ago since this city is such a horrible place, but I just never really had the initiative to really leave and go somewhere else. I think it's you know, that status quo, familiarity kind of thing that just kept me complacent enough to stay here even though I know it's not a good place to be.

In any case, I met a girl recentley and been really serious with her, but she lives 100 miles away in Wenatchee so I'm thinking about moving up there. She refuses to move down here, and I don't really blame here... On top of that it's like, the perfect reason and opportunity to finally get out of here... For some reason though I still feel really resistant to it, and keep coming up with like, trivial reasons for not wanting to go like having to learn to drive around the town, having to drive to visit my friends here... Just stuff that's not really that big a deal.

Anyone ever deal with this? How do you force yourself to get out of a place and move somewhere better? I keep finding myself making up excuses as to why I don't want to move, everywhere from not wanting to actually pack and move, to not knowing the city as well, etc.. All of it seems like pretty stupid stuff to keep me here though. I think really it's just the whole, "This is home," type of feeling.

So anyway, I know someone here must have relocated before. How do you stay committed to it and not get suckered into staying complacent and staying where you were?

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

user posted image

Seriously though, if it is so hard for you, just go there frequently. Suddenly you find you know this city, you start to fantasize about living there and boom: it's done

L71cGcK.png

If you keep finding little things and rationalising them into reasons as to why you shouldn't go, maybe deep down you don't want to go? Or you could just be apprehensive, who knows? Just take some time to properly think about it. This could be the best or worst thing you do in your life, it deserves proper attention.

Just out of interest, is the place you're in now where you grew up? Because personally I think everyone should move away from their hometown at some point. Doesn't have to be permanent, but I can already see what's happening to my friends back home who've just found themselves stuck in a rut of familiarity.

If you do move away though, do it properly. Don't go back home at every opportunity in your schedule. You don't have to cut ties, but don't cling to them. I'm in my second year of living away at uni, and in first year I'd go home just about every weekend to see my friends and family, and I massively regret it. This year I go home for one or two nights every month, and I've got my own proper life here now, and frankly, it's fantastic. Last year being at uni felt like I was just working away from home during the week or something, and now it feels like I actually live in my new town. if I could go back and change anything about last year it would be to make sure I embraced living in the new city and stopped clinging to my old life.

user posted image

I recommend you just do it, I mean you're not going to be living in Yakima your whole life are you? You've got to move some time, why not now?

eLqskO3.png

If you keep finding little things and rationalising them into reasons as to why you shouldn't go, maybe deep down you don't want to go? Or you could just be apprehensive, who knows? Just take some time to properly think about it. This could be the best or worst thing you do in your life, it deserves proper attention.

Just out of interest, is the place you're in now where you grew up? Because personally I think everyone should move away from their hometown at some point. Doesn't have to be permanent, but I can already see what's happening to my friends back home who've just found themselves stuck in a rut of familiarity.

If you do move away though, do it properly. Don't go back home at every opportunity in your schedule. You don't have to cut ties, but don't cling to them. I'm in my second year of living away at uni, and in first year I'd go home just about every weekend to see my friends and family, and I massively regret it. This year I go home for one or two nights every month, and I've got my own proper life here now, and frankly, it's fantastic. Last year being at uni felt like I was just working away from home during the week or something, and now it feels like I actually live in my new town. if I could go back and change anything about last year it would be to make sure I embraced living in the new city and stopped clinging to my old life.

Yeah, home town.

I definitely think it would make sense to move from Yakima and I say I wanna get out of here all the time... It's a horrible little town, really the only thing keeping me here is because I've grown up here for so long. It's just the apprehension thing you mentioned keeping me around. I've thought about moving away a lot for the last couple years, but have just never been able to actually get myself to go through with it.

Good advice on that though, I was probably going to wind up going down just about every weekend too. tounge.gif

QUOTE (K^2) ...not only is it legal for you to go around with a concealed penis, it requires absolutely no registration!

leik oh em jeez!
She refuses to move down here, and I don't really blame here...

I was going to say just go ahead and do it until I read this. If she actually cared about you and really wanted to be with you, she'd move to where you are, no matter how much of a sh*thole it is. Hell, my ex hates cold weather but is now willing to move to Alaska to be with me again. It's not going to happen, but it's a good example. Even the girls that do really care, might not continue to do so. So don't start out with a girl that doesn't care that much, as it will only go downhill from there.

Don't let lack of sex motivate you to do something you otherwise wouldn't. If you find another reason to move, then go ahead, just don't let a woman be the deciding factor in ANY major decision, you'll only disappoint yourself.

Before you decide to fully commit, spend a few months on a Russian tanker. tounge.gif

All I can honestly say is, if it is what you want, all you must do is pack up your sh*t and be on your way. lol.gif

"I don't know about angels, but it's fear that gives men wings."

Just another thing that occurred to me: once you do move away for an extended period of time, and essentially start a new life, it'll never be quite the same when you go back. Just last week when a mate of mine who's in the marines was giving me a lift back home (we were both heading back for a night out with old mates) we were talking and both agreed that there's just something that changes in you when you go out on your own. We both said we'd never move back there permanently because once you'd been removed from the environment for a while you could see what living in your town really does to people. I've had similar conversations with other mates who've moved away to uni and what not during term breaks and stuff when we're all back and it's pretty much the consensus.

I can't tell you how much of that is down to general experience, or if it's just because my hometown's a toxic sh*thole, though.

user posted image

Totally do it. Life sucks without any adventure or change. New sh*t is always fun.

Eventually you may have to settle down. So live whatever adventures(no matter how big or small) while you can.

Edit:

I would totally move but I am locked down because of my job's residency requirements. When I do finally get a chance to move it may be drastic.

Buy something over there that means you would have to commit and move the rest of the plan forward. How do you plan on buying property or anything like? Before you do anything, buy/rent a place up there. Once you've got that you will be more compelled to move out and get your stuff moved. How about something smaller like moving your bank account? Or the branch anyway. I don't know how it works in the US though.

Just do it mate... You are not going to live in yakima your whole life, you must change cities if you really hate it that much, you gotta move on you know..

From what I've read in your posts over the years, Yakima really isn't a swell place to be, Sag.

Scoot.

ilovebender.com

You get a job, find someone to live with (probably someone who works with you.) You keep your job, and then you move out of where you're living to your own place.

You can't do nothing unless you have a job or something lined up first, it could be a job or a course.

I love California but, I have never been. Hi, I'm a retard! You've just read an ILB post.