Will i ever enjoy games as much?

Finn 7 five 11

Finn 7 five 11

Hey guys, I was thinking back to the good old days of gaming, now for some that is a very different thing, but for me that was between 2001 GTA III when i was like 9 or 10 through Vice City to San Andreas around 2006 i was 14-15.

After that i didn't play games for some time, and when i did get back into gaming again, the fun factor was nowhere near as great, i could play the same game for such a long time and the interest was seemingly endless (Not just for Grand Theft Auto, games like halo and rainbow six too), even for a game like GTA III which was pretty stripped down in comparison to later titles, i was in total awe when i first played the game, and i could play for a whole day in one sitting over and over, i remember i did that for many games and i just enjoyed games so much.

Nowadays i am 20 years old and since i restarted gaming in large amounts games no longer hold the same interest as before, and i am certain it is not just nostalgia as i can go back to those old games and they do not have the same effect.

I have tried Saints Row, and GTA IV for open world games, sure they were fun, but i grew bored quickly after the story ended, and i now have many games, play the story and be done with them, i do play a lot of Black Ops Multiplayer, but that's quite different to being offline.

Are my best gaming days behind me? Will i always look back and wish for them to return?

Has this happened to anyone else here? Please share your stories.

I'm 14 years old and I still enjoying playing video games most if the time. but for some reason I get really bored of it... Then ill think of getting other game or Just Go out usually bored.gif

user posted image

Adam Jensen

23 years old and still enjoying them as much as I did when I was 6. Although I enjoy them more during summer for some reason.

Benjimino234

As a kid you're more appreciative of the games you have, it's not like you can go out and buy newest released games when your 9 through 15. So every game counted. So obviously when you're more mature and have the opportunity to 'just get a new game' when things get midly boring where as a kid you might play to 100% because it was all you got at the time. That's my theory.

Also online and offline have a difference as with multiplayer it changes, patches, new maps, new players and play styles whilst single player is about story, exploration and completion. Attention span and excitement does lower when you mature and doing the same fun things might not be fun doing it for 50th time... Another theory.

As a kid you're more appreciative of the games you have, it's not like you can go out and buy newest released games when your 9 through 15. So every game counted. So obviously when you're more mature and have the opportunity to 'just get a new game' when things get midly boring where as a kid you might play to 100% because it was all you got at the time. That's my theory.

Also online and offline have a difference as with multiplayer it changes, patches, new maps, new players and play styles whilst single player is about story, exploration and completion. Attention span and excitement does lower when you mature and doing the same fun things might not be fun doing it for 50th time... Another theory.

now its completely different.. almost every 12 to 13 year old has access to internet and probrably have a steam account and their parents have a credit card and probrably would buy anything for them.

Mister Pink

Very, very good points. Gaming is more disposable. Cheap second hand market, low-attenion span, instant gratification etc.

Although the sucess of Skyrim is kind of contrary to the COD-style gaming that's apparent in gaming now.

I have had the exact same thoughts recently. I still enjoy gaming but over the years it has been on a decline and now I only really play online competitively rather then open world games where I used to use my imagination to craft my own scenario's. I still played Skyrim for 40 hours before putting it down however that is a game of a very high standard and if I had played it when I was 13-14 I would of probably poured far more time into it. I guess its just maturity kicking in, despite how much I fight against it.

One thing does help though. I am not saying this should be a solution put playing games on LSD brings back that awe and excitement you got as a child. I remember Skyrim was phenomenal but don't go out and take LSD for this sole reason haha

user posted image

Capricornus

I have also thought about this. Here are the games that I bought between October and December:

-Batman: Arkham City

-Saints Row 3

-Assasin's Creed: Revalations

-Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

-Sonic Generations

-NBA 2K12

-Uncharted 3

Now, I have played each of these games and I enjoy them all, for I think they are great games. However, I haven't completed either one yet! Note that I have had ample time to play these games, but never took advantage of that. Instead, I end up hanging out with friends or just relaxing in the house. I remember back when I was in elementary school, I would skip a whole day of school just to play video games. I still love my video games, and I know I can play of hours in one setting, though I haven't done it in a while.

Also, I bought God of War III on its release day, and its awesome. Yet, I still have not completed it.

caprisig.jpg

Mister Pink
One thing does help though. I am not saying this should be a solution put playing games on LSD brings back that awe and excitement you got as a child. I remember Skyrim was phenomenal but don't go out and take LSD for this sole reason haha

I will try that. lol. Seriously.

Same thing happened to me. I got to about 15 years of age and my priorities changed. I used to be afraid of not seeing the world at that age, so I spent my 20's living abroad in various countries.

With my wanderlust mostly satisfied I settled back home and took to playing VG's again. There was about a 24 year gap between my Atari and xbox 360 - I did have an NES and 64 while I was away, but I played ultra-casual maybe once a week.

I wouldn't say to someone young, "Hey, you gotta play games man they're great." Just do the things you want to do with your life, and when you come back they'll be there. They'll probably be even better too.

9322068076_d79a001db2_o.jpg

Mister Pink

GTA really got me in to gaming. San Andreas was the first game I knew was coming out when I was 18. Since then I've experimented with other games and have really got in to some other series. I really just need a new GTA to reignite that spark. Things aren't quite the same when there's no GTA on the go.

Capricornus

It was actually Sonic The Hedgehog that got me into gaming. It was back in 1992, and I saw my cousin playing Sonic The Hedgehog 2 for the Sega Genesis. I fell in love with Sonic as well as the color blue upon watching my cousin speed through Chemical Plant Zone. Til this day Sonic is my all time favorite video game character. While he certainly has had some crappy games, I have enjoyed most of them, especially the underrated Sonic Unleashed for the PS3/360.

As for GTA, I first played that when I was only 7 years old lmao. Took no time to get used to the top-down view either.

As long as great games come around, I know I will always play and enjoy them, but playing video games isn't really a must do like I made it out to be back when I was younger. 22 years old now.

caprisig.jpg

Games are getting better and better. I personally am enjoying them a lot. I mean a lot of games are coming out that I could only dream of 15-20 years ago. Especially the open world games, where there are less rules of how to play. Batman, and the Elder Scrolls, and Assassin's Creed, are all enjoyable to me more than any games in the past 10 years almost.

And them you got games like Angry Birds. I downloaded Angry Birds Space at 1:30am this morning, so I could get a few levels before bed. Only cost me 99¢. And I have two other Angry Birds games I play. I consider myself the hardest of hardcore gamer, and I enjoy the f*ck out of games like that.

I still love games, but these days I'm finding myself getting more immersed in simply reading about them or watching gameplay videos than actually taking the time to play them myself. I think it may be because games have become more and more like interactive movies than they were back in my early Nintendo days. And 10+ years ago with games like GTA III, Halo, MGS, and Syphon Filter these sort of games had me in awe, with graphics getting more real and plots getting more intricate I just had to jump in.

But nowadays, whether it's a new or old release, I'm less interested in actually playing, and more interested in reading about or watching them.*

*GTA has proven to be an exception though.

I've been feeling this for a few years now. I still think games in general can be much better than they already are. I only bought three games last year, even though I love games and spend a lot of my free time researching games/watching trailers.

Like sonnyBlack mentioned, I also tend to enjoy stalking games before their release, rather than playing them. It's always so disappointing when I spend months following a game (e.g SSX) and then I rent it and barely play over an hour of it.

In regards to the topic poster, try out some different games - games that aren't overly popular. One of the best games I've played in recent years is Mafia 2, just don't go into it thinking it's an open-world game and you'll be fine. I impulse bought Dark Souls with no knowledge of the game whatsoever, and I surprised myself by throwing in 50+ hours of it, so give that a go.

It's a lot harder for me to spend a few hours playing a game now that I'm a lot older, because I constantly feel like I should be studying, working, or going out. I've learnt that if I literally tell myself I have a free five hours to just sit and relax, I enjoy games much more.

From an analysis point of view, it can be seen that you've most likely just 'grown up' and games don't compare to how good your life may be currently.

Racecarlock

You should try vega strike and the wing commander privateer remake. While they do not have a main story to begin with, they do make you really feel like a free man in the depths of the universe. You can take what ever missions you want right from the get go, and they both give you a basic starting ship with which to earn your fortune in the galaxy. These are two games that are hard to put down. Also, they're both free.

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/

Finn 7 five 11

I should try diversify, I took a leap with uncharted some time ago, loved it own all three now.

I started playing pokemon again, that's an rpg.

I do wanna try some of the newer late last year releases (batman for example).

But still games are not the same sad.gif

I'm almost 19 and feel the same way some days. It's called growing up and changing interests. You'll spend more time improving your social life, working etc. It's weird cause these so called self improvements make life so much harder. It's like we forget how we used to have fun. Just take it easy

user posted image

I'm 18 and i still play video game and i enjoy them but i know what you mean, back when i was 11-12 i used to play (and enjoy) video games a hell of a lot more than now, i guess it has something to us growing up and having different and more interests, but you never know maybe good old days of gaming will back we just to have to wait for it.. wanna adivce? Play the Uncharted games, they will make you love gaming again

Edited by Gtaghost22

OysterBarron

I think its more of a sign of industry stagnation! When GTA was released it changed the way we percieved games and exspected from them! now days its just rehashed stuff with slightly different settings hence there still enjoyable but gone are the days of the Wow factor well atleast until the next big thing comes along, what it maybe im still undecided.

wtBEybp.png

gLs7a8h.png
MODQEwD.png

Exkabewbikadid

If anything, I feel like viddy gamin' keeps breaking new ground and that keeps my interest piqued. Sometimes I think I'm losing interest in games, but sometimes it's a simple matter of me being a dumbass and playing them with delusional expectations. For example, when I first started playing LA Noire last December, I started into it acting like a little bitch whose balls hadn't dropped thinking that it was going to be some form of 1940s GTA with mindless chaos to be had. I was wrong and I knew better, but yet I insisted on trying to stir up a ruckus right off the bat only to disappoint myself. I didn't touch the game after that for a couple of weeks until my balls were ready to drop back down and I was ready to actually play it as it was intended to be played. It turned out to be a great game once I became correctly engaged in it.

However, there's always going to be droughts here and there when the industry becomes redundant. PC gaming has been getting shat on for years now largely due to developers abandoning it for consoles only to offer up ports to the pc of abysmal quality later on. When it gets too bad I take some time away from smashin' keys and buttons and come back to it later on. Other than that, I think I'll be playing games fo' lyfe and sh*t.

oQywcQM.jpg

Just like when you start driving it is a lot of fun because it is a new experience. Now, when you drive it isn't as fun because you probably take the same drive to work or home everyday.

The first experience is always the most memorable and you will never get that exact feeling back.

Harwood Butch3r

I'm sure we've all been through it. I'm 26 and still love playing video games even after 20+ years.

Sure it's not as memorable as when I was a kid, but xrCore made a really good point. I guess it's like when you first start driving a car. When I first started driving it was an amazing experience having the freedom to drive a car. Now it's just a monotonous chore that really isn't all that exciting.

Interest with video game will come and go. I just bought Fallout: New Vegas and it's the first game I've bought since I started university. I used to blow money on games like a drug addict on drugs. Seriously I used to on average buy one game a month.

Now I'm in my mid 20s video games are just a hobby now that I use when I want a break from studying or whatever. Ironically I think playing games too much can do more harm than good for your interest.

nightwalker83
I'm sure we've all been through it. I'm 26 and still love playing video games even after 20+ years.

Same here! Although, I'm 28.

The only games I am looking forward to are GTA V, Max Payne, Hitman absolution and Retro City Rampage. If it wasnt for a few games like these then I would get rid of my PS3. I hate most of this generations games I prefer older games.

Once I got into game modding and found out more about how games were put together and worked, games as a whole seemed to completely lose some of the wonder you feel when playing them.

It's hard to explain. But it makes games less amazing.

friendly luggage

I've started to get a bit bored of games more quickly now for some reason. Skyrim is epic but I've only done one charactor. On Oblivion and Fallout 3 I created quite a few and completed each game a few times. However I've owned GTA IV since release day and I still play it often even though the online isn't the best (limited vehicles). Battlefield 3 wise I've reached 43 and have just lost interest and I used to spend way too much time on CoD but their latest game and its ELITE rubbish has put me off the franchise forever now. I spent a total of around 300 hours on Oblivion and have 11 days multiplayer play time on MW2! wow.gif

After playing video games for 25 years I've noticed that my tastes are now limited to what I consider the best. For instance, I am only looking forward to MP3, GTA V, Rainbow Six, FC3. Thats really it. Because in those years I have picked up new hobbies and they take up more of my time. (I forgot to mention Half Life 3. Its coming I tell you. It has to dammit.)

Once I got into game modding and found out more about how games were put together and worked, games as a whole seemed to completely lose some of the wonder you feel when playing them.

It's hard to explain. But it makes games less amazing.

On the contrary, it made me like them even more.

Yl8KS.jpg