Happy Iranian New Year!

Greenline

Happy Iranian New Year!

Today, in around 1 hour and 20 minutes from the time I posted the topic, the Iranian year will change to 2571 in the Iranian Imperial Calendar and 1391 in the Islamic Solar Calendar.

The new year is at the same time all around the world. Here's a countdown if you want to celebrate along wink.gifhttp://www.7seen.com/

The new year is celebrated with making a table called the 7 Seen, which has 7 objects starting with the letter Seen (س), the letter Seen is the Persian 'S'. So, the seven objects are:

sabzeh - wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish - symbolizing rebirth

samanu - a sweet pudding made from wheat germ - symbolizing affluence

senjed - the dried fruit of the oleaster tree - symbolizing love

sīr - garlic - symbolizing medicine

sīb - apples - symbolizing beauty and health

somaq - sumac berries - symbolizing (the color of) sunrise

serkeh - vinegar - symbolizing age and patience

(Wikipedia)

There are also coins, a Quran or another holy book and/or a poetry book alongside a candle, colored eggs, goldfish and a mirror. Some people also add more things.

This image symbolizes the Iranian New Year in Persepolis, the eternally fighting bull (personifying the Earth) and lion (personifying the Sun) are equal. (Wikipedia)

In the Iranian Imperial Calendar, based on the founding of Persia (Iran) by Cyrus the Great, the year will be 2571. In the Islamic Solar Calendar, the year will be 1391. The Islamic Lunar Calendar used by the majority of Muslim countries, does not use this system; 2012 is 1433 in the Islamic Lunar Calendar.

Happy Noruz!

Edited by Greenline

Thanks to the that we're past the Dec 2012 scare?

You're too young to celebrate, you even confessed this to me

And you're too old to be living in your mom's house, emptying her fridge and using up her room and not taking a shower or trying to get a job or being helpful and/or productive in any way. All while asking your sister's husband for money and gifts that you spend on games.

I can hear the touchés coming. I'm waiting Slammy..

Edited by Greenline

I remember celebrating my 5th birthday.

I was such a rule-breaker.

38773_s.gif

lol, Happy New Year Greenline. I didn't know Persians had two of their own calendars.

Tell me something man, what is the opinion of Arab Iranians, like the ones in Khuzestan? Are they considered Persians?

Tell me something man, what is the opinion of Arab Iranians, like the ones in Khuzestan? Are they considered Persians?

Yeah, and the calendars are more accurate than the Gregorian calendar.

Not Persians, we're Persians. They're Iranians, Arabic speaking Iranians.

Edited by Greenline

If this means there'll be more Persian girls out partying this week, you can count me in.

Also,

And you're too old to be living in your mom's house

F*cking ZING.

user posted image

Spaghetti Cat

dude it's like march...new years was several months ago...need to check your calendar buddy!

No Image Available

Also,

And you're too old to be living in your mom's house

F*cking ZING.

Should have left it at that, the rest of the burn was superfluous.

U R B A N I T A S

dude it's like march...new years was several months ago...need to check your calendar buddy!

Iran (like China) doesn't use the Gregorian calendar the Western world uses. Western March is Iranian January (Iranuary?)

You know, it does actually make more sense to have New Years right at the beginning of Spring, instead of half-way through Winter like we infidels have it.

John The Grudge

New Year celebrations in early spring (is it early spring?)? Hey more power to them. How do Iranians celebrate it out of interest?

Oh and happy new year.

New Year celebrations in early spring (is it early spring?)?  Hey more power to them.  How do Iranians celebrate it out of interest?

Oh and happy new year.

Yeah, it's the spring equinox.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowruz#Nowruz...bration_in_Iran

That's basically how it works.

Here's an after-noruz conversation:

1: Hi, did you watch that show yesterday?

2: No, I had diarrhea! HAHAHA

1: HAHA, I remember that time I had diarrhea, it was leaking!

*2 farts*

2: Happy new year!

user posted image

lolsh*ttyqualitylol

Edited by Greenline

Triple Penetration
Thanks to the that we're past the Dec 2012 scare?

In the western calendar (our one) people say world will end in 21th Dec 2012, because Mayan calendar doesn't provide further date.

Now there's a calendar with our very usual leap years in february (2012 is a leap year) and Julius Caesar made leap year to start since 45 BC. What's more funny is that we don't live by Mayan calendar, we live by Julius Caesar's one, and if there wouldn't be leap years since when Caesar introduced them, this today would be around 70 years in future and the month would be August.

user posted image

Happy Nowruz!

Nice of you to share this, I learnt about "Haf-sin" from my other half...

The sab zeh is growing nicely smile.gif I found it odd at first, but I like the Iranian new year, its nice how it's been maintained.

Too often people don't see Iranians as being anything other than just Muslims, but within Iranian / Persian culture there is so much to adore.

7cg1vNw.png

Happy Nowruz!

Nice of you to share this, I learnt about "Haf-sin" from my other half...

The sab zeh is growing nicely smile.gif I found it odd at first, but I like the Iranian new year, its nice how it's been maintained.

Too often people don't see Iranians as being anything other than just Muslims, but within Iranian / Persian culture there is so much to adore.

It's nice to see how not everyone is ignorant icon14.gif. Too bad there are people who have no idea about other places in the world

Happy Nowruz to your other half (assuming they're Iranian) Shifty41s_beerhatsmilie2.gif